What are the advantages of Steam?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

I know that Steam is great but it just doesn't have all the games I wish to purchase. That is why I want to know if it is worth waiting for Steam to someday offer them as a download or if I should get them now. Age of Mythology, Age of Empires 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 are some examples of games that I wish were on Steam.

Another game I am interested in is Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War. It would cost me $59.98 on Steam to get all the games whereas on amazon.co.uk, I would be spending a mere $20.99 for the complete pack. This is why I am rather unsure.

Avatar image for hedgehogenstein
hedgehogenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hedgehogenstein
Member since 2008 • 91 Posts

You don't have to deal with physical media (discs), meaning you'll never lose your disc or have it break. With Steam, the game is in your account for good. If you delete the files (or your PC explodes), you just download them again. Let's say you go on holiday and there's a PC where you are, you can download Steam, login and download any of the games on your Steam account and play them.

It's convenient. You don't need to go to the store or interact with other human beings! And if you usually buy through online stores, well, you can download a game on Steam in a few hours if you net's pretty good, vs days and days of waiting for an online delivery.

Early release dates. Not only are new games sometimes released on Steam before they're in stores, they're usually released to the entire world. .co.uk is British, right? I've heard you guys are a few days behind us for release dates, so buying on Steam would get you new games earlier.

It's greener. You can reduce the negative impact you're making on the environment by not encouraging the manufacturing of plastic boxes or the printing of manuals.

Games auto-update. A 500mb patch just came out? Ugh. But despair not! Steam games auto-update (if you want them to), so maybe it'll download while you're at work or school and be ready for you when you get home.

Community tools. There's a built-in friend list and IM/voice-chat thing. With the Steam overlay you can run the Steam IM stuff at the same time as your Steam games, even if you're running it fullscreen. There are also groups and stuff. It's a great tool for social networking.

But there are downsides to Steam.

Firstly, you're British, yeah? Well, the pound is way down against the dollar right now and everything on Steam is charged in dollars. Left 4 Dead would cost you about 35 pounds with the conversion rate and British taxes and the pound might continue to drop against the dollar. Stuff could get very expensive for you.

Secondly, the software is temperamental. It doesn't work well for some people, or at all. It crashes, games don't run properly, offline mode doesn't work and you might even get banned from Valve's anti-cheat system for no reason, effectively banning you from playing Valve's online games.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
If the games are not available on Steam, buy them from somewhere else. It's that simple. Steam is convenient as long as the games are actually available on the service.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
Less fat. Steamed foods also retain more of their nutrients than other types of cooking.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hexagon_777
So if I buy boxed games and add them to Steam later, will these games get the benefits that games downloaded off Steam receive?
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

So if I buy boxed games and add them to Steam later, will these games get the benefits that games downloaded off Steam receive?Hexagon_777

If they are supported by Steam, absolutely.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

So if I buy boxed games and add them to Steam later, will these games get the benefits that games downloaded off Steam receive?Johnny_Rock

That would only really be Dawn of War from what I know. Cheaper by around $40 on amazon.co.uk. Other games such as Far Cry, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires 2, WarCraft III and Heroes of Might and Magic III would not get the benefits. Judging from the posts, you guys believe that it isn't worth waiting for the games to be released on Steam either.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

So if I buy boxed games and add them to Steam later, will these games get the benefits that games downloaded off Steam receive?Hexagon_777

That would only really be Dawn of War from what I know. Cheaper by around $40 on amazon.co.uk. Other games such as Far Cry, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires 2, WarCraft III and Heroes of Might and Magic III would not get the benefits. Judging from the posts, you guys believe that it isn't worth waiting for the games to be released on Steam either.

You realize that Steam has loads more non-Valve games than Dawn of War right? Have you even looked at their games catalog lately? There are tons.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Why would you wait for games like HOMM3 to come on Steam when you can't even know if it's coming on Steam? And even if a game is available on Steam, the boxed version doesn't necessarily support Steam.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hexagon_777
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

zomglolcats

You realize that Steam has loads more non-Valve games than Dawn of War right? Have you even looked at their games catalog lately? There are tons.

You realise that I am only listing the games I intend on purchasing? 

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

zomglolcats

As far as 'full Steam support' on retail games, it's pretty much only Valve games. As far as non-Valve retail games, Dark Messiah and.. I think NBA 2K9 are supported in Steam (i.e. you can enter the game's CD-key into Steam and it's as if you bought it there), but otherwise you have to manually enter the game's EXE and you get mostly the Steam Overlay with chat/friends lists, though you can't join on friends' servers like that. Steam is mostly massive, massive convenience. Once you own something, you own it, and there's no losing it or having to find the discs again.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
if the developers aren't asshats and put DRM in the downloadable version, then you get the ability to download anywhere, as many times as you like, burn to discs, and the like.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

Makari

As far as 'full Steam support' on retail games, it's pretty much only Valve games. As far as non-Valve retail games, Dark Messiah and.. I think NBA 2K9 are supported in Steam (i.e. you can enter the game's CD-key into Steam and it's as if you bought it there), but otherwise you have to manually enter the game's EXE and you get mostly the Steam Overlay with chat/friends lists, though you can't join on friends' servers like that. Steam is mostly massive, massive convenience. Once you own something, you own it, and there's no losing it or having to find the discs again.

Lost Planet is Fully supported by Steam too. In fact, it's like a Valve game in that regard, it forces you to install Steam to use it.

harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts
I have been using D2D a lot more, it has nearly every game you would want. You also don't have to be logged in to play.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

I have been using D2D a lot more, it has nearly every game you would want. You also don't have to be logged in to play.harrisi17

D2D is a little bit iffy on the support. I couldn't play Chaos Theory because I ran out of activations, and instead of giving me a new key or something they just said "Here's $10". A few weeks later, they just said "Here's 10$ more" and considered it case closed. D2D is a definite hassle if you don't want to deal with activations and for me the download speeds are less than stellar. I'd get ~400kbps from FilePlanet, where I get ~1.2mbps on Steam. 

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
None. Don't use Steam unless you have to. You can always just use perfectly legal no-cd mods (as long as you still own the physical copy of the game).