Warhammer and the blending of art style with graphics

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cake-Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cake-Soup
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

As weird as it sounds, color makes me want to play games more.

The way Warhammer blends awesome colors into okay graphics makes me want dive into the world. I love how each character is defined as much by the colors used around them as the colors used on them.

It reminds me of Dreamfall and Warcraft II

Anyone else have a game that makes them feel fuzzy inside? lol

A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
Those graphics are horrible. I know graphics aren't everything but....
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
One thing I have to say about WaR is that the character models are great but the environment is way to drab.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
Looks like they took note from an unnamed Blizzard game. Where Blizzard learned that style, I don't know.
Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
looks ugly too me, and i dont like all the bright colours.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#6 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Looks like they took note from an unnamed Blizzard game. Where Blizzard learned that style, I don't know.dnuggs40

Warcraft has always looked that way. WoW is the exact same style of art as was used in Warcraft 3 for example.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
WAR has excellent graphics...in very limited areas and settings. As in, there are only a very very VERY few instances that made me leaned back and say "hmmm thats kinda nice...". Like another guy said...the settings in general are pretty drab. The characters are great but they are just missing that one thing (that I just couldnt figuire out heh). Mythic games has always been "drab", graphically. Just look at DAOC, great game, drab graphics. Sorry to say but imho, WoW looks better, in terms of art style and immersion, than WAR, even though I'm playing WAR and not WoW atm.
WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WDT-BlackKat
Member since 2008 • 1779 Posts

Looks like they took note from an unnamed Blizzard game. Where Blizzard learned that style, I don't know.dnuggs40

For the bizillionth time...

Warcraft is derrivative of Warhammer, not the other way around.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dnuggs40

Everyone knows that, thanks Mr. Obvious. The item in question is the graphical styling of PC GAMES. Unless previous Warhammer pc games used that style of graphics/art before Blizzard did, then it's Blizzard who came up with it.

To my knowledge, Warcraft games have a very distinct visual styling that seems pretty unique.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Unreal-
Everyone knows that, thanks Mr. Obvious. The item in question is the graphical styling of PC GAMES. Unless previous Warhammer pc games used that style of graphics/art before Blizzard did, then it's Blizzard who came up with it.dnuggs40
Maybe if your english skills were a little better it would have been easier to interpret what you were trying to say.
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

they took that style from Warhammer in the first place.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dnuggs40

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"] Maybe if your english skills were a little better it would have been easier to interpret what you were trying to say.-Unreal-

The topic is about a certain game's graphics, and I specifically said the style. I said nothing about the ideas, characters, ect in each game, or anything like that.

I will, in the future, try to be more specific for other people's lack of reading comprehension and understanding of context. Or maybe you guys could just not jump to conclusions...just saying.

Also I find it funny that you responded to my post knowing exactly what I was talking about...

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Looks like they took note from an unnamed Blizzard game. Where Blizzard learned that style, I don't know.-Unreal-

Warcraft has always looked that way. WoW is the exact same style of art as was used in Warcraft 3 for example.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts
And yet the character models between the two games are rather different. While WARs environments feel like they are trying to imitate WoWs art style and yet not succeed. After all warhammer is known for its miniatures not for its terrain.
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 warmaster670

And yet the character models between the two games are rather different. While WARs environments feel like they are trying to imitate WoWs art style and yet not succeed. After all warhammer is known for its miniatures not for its terrain.Nikalai_88

youve obviousley never seen some of there terrain before, its beutiful.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dnuggs40

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Looks like they took note from an unnamed Blizzard game. Where Blizzard learned that style, I don't know.warmaster670

Did they? Is there a previous Warhammer game with the same graphical stylings that I am unaware of? I played some older Warhammer games but the all seemed to go for a more gritty, realistic graphical style. I am specifically talking about games like Mark of Chaos, Horned Rat, ect.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 warmaster670
[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Looks like they took note from an unnamed Blizzard game. Where Blizzard learned that style, I don't know.dnuggs40

Did they? Is there a previous Warhammer game with the same graphical stylings that I am unaware of? I played some older Warhammer games but the all seemed to go for a more gritty, realistic graphical style. I am specifically talking about games like Mark of Chaos, Horned Rat, ect.

Im talking about style, not actual graphics, stlye is more important than graphics engine.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nikalai_88

[QUOTE="Nikalai_88"]And yet the character models between the two games are rather different. While WARs environments feel like they are trying to imitate WoWs art style and yet not succeed. After all warhammer is known for its miniatures not for its terrain.warmaster670

Certainly not the terrain used for miniature games at my local store. Either way the terrain looks nothing like that of WoW, and thats were the similarities lie. Furthermore most of Warhammer art (at least 40k don't play fantasy battles) is black and white with sharp edges and realistic (or bigger) size models and again is rather different that the environments of WoW.
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 warmaster670
[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

[QUOTE="Nikalai_88"]And yet the character models between the two games are rather different. While WARs environments feel like they are trying to imitate WoWs art style and yet not succeed. After all warhammer is known for its miniatures not for its terrain.Nikalai_88

Certainly not the terrain used for miniature games at my local store. Either way the terrain looks nothing like that of WoW, and thats were the similarities lie. Furthermore most of Warhammer art (at least 40k don't play fantasy battles) is black and white with sharp edges and realistic (or bigger) size models and again is rather different that the environments of WoW.

your local store is lacking some terrain then, they have some really nice looking terrain pieces you can get, i mean, there a bit expensive but from what ive seen they look great.

most people just use homemade terrain though.

of course, alot of the good terrain is for 40k, not sure hat there fantasy selection is, but i know they have a nice castle/fortress you can get.

some of the terrain you can get

Avatar image for dan-rofl-copter
dan-rofl-copter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dan-rofl-copter
Member since 2008 • 2702 Posts
personally i think the graphics are quite good
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nikalai_88
[QUOTE="Nikalai_88"][QUOTE="warmaster670"]

warmaster670

your local store is lacking some terrain then, they have some really nice looking terrain pieces you can get, i mean, there a bit expensive but from what ive seen they look great.

most people just use homemade terrain though.

of course, alot of the good terrain is for 40k, not sure hat there fantasy selection is, but i know they have a nice castle/fortress you can get.

Actually by browsing through the online catalogue I can see that they do have a lot of the terrain, with most of it being architecture. I can also see that it looks rather different from WoW. Like how Empire buildings are very gothic while WarCrafts are more medieveal/fantasy. And again the miniature terrain does not fully cover 'natural' terrain that makes up the majority of what you see in both MMO's.

In reality I don't see how you can argue that certain effects in WAR are not influenced by WoW but by warhammer. How can things like distance fog be attributed to a miniature game? WoW was the first game where I really noticed coloured distance fog being used as a part of art, and not to cover technological limitations.

Really the miniatures and WarCraft have a lot of differences among them but yet WoW and WAR looks rather similar.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dnuggs40

I think it's pretty obvious WO's graphics are influenced by WoW.

I don't know why people get defensive over this though, as we know Blizzard took ideas from Warhammer.

No reason to get mad, after all, immatation is the greatest form of flatery.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Looks like they took note from an unnamed Blizzard game. Where Blizzard learned that style, I don't know.-Unreal-

agreed however they didnt always use that style diablo 1 was a rather serious game.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 aura_enchanted
other games like that might be LOTR online but thats not a very recommended game.. ESCPECIALLY if u have poor internet (less than 54mbps).
_rpg_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 _rpg_FAN
Member since 2005 • 1418 Posts

warcraft artists took lot of inspiration art wise from warhammer
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aura_enchanted
not to mention the concept art from wahammer: orc & humans.. whoops i mean warcraft: orc& humans :P
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts

I think it's pretty obvious WO's graphics are influenced by WoW.

I don't know why people get defensive over this though, as we know Blizzard took ideas from Warhammer.

No reason to get mad, after all, immatation is the greatest form of flatery.

dnuggs40

IIRC warcraft was originally supposed to be a licenced warhammer game. They kept the look after the deal fell through. I'll see if I can find a link to some info.

edit: I found a bunch of blogs but nothing solid. I guess it was almost 20 years ago anyway. Man, does time fly.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Unreal-
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Looks like they took note from an unnamed Blizzard game. Where Blizzard learned that style, I don't know._rpg_FAN

warcraft artists took lot of inspiration art wise from warhammer

Says you. No, they didn't. Warcraft was based off of ideas from Warhammer after Blizzard tried to create a game based on Warhammer but were refused the rights. Nothing to do with art though. You can see the art styles are different. If you see some sketches you'll notice they are different.