Vista Performance Index, oblivion performance?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shifty02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Shifty02
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts

Since I've switched to vista I am having some performance problems when trying to play oblivion. I am currently playing it in 4xAA, High image settings, 1024x786. My vista performance index is 5.0, with my lowest sub-score 5.0 which vista says is my memory. I am thinking of buying a GeForce 8800 GTX to solve this and future performance problems, because there is no use in playing a beautiful game with low image quality, that just defies the point and degrades the experience. Should I increase my RAM as well? Or is the vista performance index not accurate for 3d intensive applications but more for overall system performance? My system specs are listed below:

- AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core FX-60
- Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
- 2 GB DDR 400 RAM
- GeForce 7800 GTX 512 MB RAM
- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4
- Windows Vista x64

SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 SoberWarock
Member since 2005 • 3086 Posts
DDR or DDR2? because if your running on DDR400 that is not very good, maybe atleast 533MHz or even higher, 800MHz is excellent.
Shifty02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shifty02
I'm running DDR400. I know, but if want to change that I would have to buy a whole new system!!! Crap, I was hoping to hold this system for a while. Do you think the memory would have such a huge impact at this stage when playing games with a GeForce 8800 GTX?
SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SoberWarock
I think it is your memory, your video card isnt that bad at all.
Shifty02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shifty02
So then the vista performance index is correct. It gives my memory 5.0 and my 3d card 5.9. So you don't think a new geforce 8800 would help?
SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SoberWarock
Yes it would help.
Kiwi_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Kiwi_1
Member since 2003 • 2963 Posts

Vista's overhead takes a huge hit in performance. Where XP had merely dozens of background processes you could easily sort through and deal with, Vista has many, many more such. I would visit the Bethsoft forums, and if you can handle the jackboots of the Nazis, try to get the attention of one of the resident gurus there. I couldn't handle the totalitarianism, and eventually gave up creating new accounts there.

Whenever I can, I run games in W2K just because of the reduced overhead. Oblivion is somewhat faster in Win2000 than in WinXP. NWN2, now, is a great deal faster running in Win2000. My tests of RCT1 and RCT2 turned me completely off of jumping into Vista until after the first major service pack is available. IMO, it's a real dog.  (EDIT - For the unwashed, sub-teenage ones, Windows 2000 and Windows XP are close cousins, separated by only about a year in release age.)

SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SoberWarock

Vista's overhead takes a huge hit in performance. Where XP had merely dozens of background processes you could easily sort through and deal with, Vista has many, many more such. I would visit the Bethsoft forums, and if you can handle the jackboots of the Nazis, try to get the attention of one of the resident gurus there. I couldn't handle the totalitarianism, and eventually gave up creating new accounts there.

Whenever I can, I run games in W2K just because of the reduced overhead. Oblivion is somewhat faster in Win2000 than in WinXP. NWN2, now, is a great deal faster running in Win2000. My tests of RCT1 and RCT2 turned me completely off of jumping into Vista until after the first major service pack is available. IMO, it's a real dog.

Kiwi_1
I never heard of W2k before.....
Shifty02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shifty02
Well obviously a new GeForce 8 would work better alongside better memory, but if it would help anyway don't u ppl think it is worth a shot? I think I am going to wait for nvidia to release the GeForce 8900 GTX in Q3 2007 if it is not too expensive. Then at the end of the year when intel releases their new chip-set, the X38, with PCI express 2 and DDR3 support then I'll do a pc upgrade with faster memory.
SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SoberWarock
Well obviously a new GeForce 8 would work better alongside better memory, but if it would help anyway don't u ppl think it is worth a shot? I think I am going to wait for nvidia to release the GeForce 8900 GTX in Q3 2007 if it is not too expensive. Then at the end of the year when intel releases their new chip-set, the X38, with PCI express 2 and DDR3 support then I'll do a pc upgrade with faster memory.Shifty02
Trust me dude that is going to become very expensive, your talking about DDR3 and a new videocard that is about to come out, total would be the same as my computer upgrade (which is in my sig)
Shifty02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shifty02
Well I guess if you wanna play high quality games one's got to pay the price. Well the good thing is that the DDR3 motherboards also support DDR2, so one can go for that for starters cause it is much cheaper than DDR3 and the performance difference is not that big at the moment. But then u have the option to upgrade to later DDR3 if necessary. You've got to consider the future when buying new computer hardware. At least it would give me a 6 month gap to save after the 3d card before buying the pc. I'm obviously planning to keep the the 3d card with the new pc for a while. Are u running vista? How do u add your system specs and banner below to show in each message?
Hero6_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hero6_basic
Member since 2002 • 1536 Posts
Memory isnt that bad *yet, Definatly go for the video Card, and If you do have another build you can just swap the card
Avatar image for NorwegianWinter
NorwegianWinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 NorwegianWinter
Member since 2006 • 211 Posts
This post is about a year late. Your memory is really slow. But I'm sure you have new memory and GPU by now.