Vista, is it really worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DantesWell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DantesWell
Member since 2007 • 300 Posts

Tell me honestly. i would just get it for games
DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 DarkRecruit
Member since 2005 • 3391 Posts
There's 2 threads on this same page about vista.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
Not yet, I see no reason to get it until worthy DX10 titles start hitting the shelves. Let others work the bugs out until then.
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
It's a good OS but I'd wait untill they've worked out more of the problems with it. Compatability seems to be the bigest issue for most people currently. It is also a memory hog so if you don't have at least 2GB of ram it's not worth it. I'm currently running it dual boot with XP so I can use the games and software not compatible with Vista.
mrking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 mrking
Member since 2003 • 1437 Posts

If you just use your PC to play games then no.

DX10 games very few and DX10 Graphics cards are not cheap.

Wait for a year until they fix all the bugs in Vista

BenTheJamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 BenTheJamin
Member since 2005 • 927 Posts
not worth it, way too many bugs and crap. DX10 is cool but not worth putting up with vista.
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts

not worth it, way too many bugs and crap. DX10 is cool but not worth putting up with vista.BenTheJamin

I keep seeing posts like this one and have got to wonder how many people are just jumping on the bandwagon and how many people have actually used Vista.

I've been running Vista since shortly after launch and have had only one problem with anything and that was the game Jade Empire. The game played great but Vista kept changing the saved game folder to read only so I couldn't save the game. Other than that I've really enjoyed using it. Yes the games run a little bit slower FPS wise but the difference isn't even noticeable.

Avatar image for Phil_Ken_Sebben
Phil_Ken_Sebben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Phil_Ken_Sebben
Member since 2007 • 344 Posts
While I hate the idea of FORCING us to buy it for Dx10, the implementation of media centers television recoriding entices me....
cevic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cevic
Member since 2003 • 174 Posts

Wait till Crysis comeout, buy new dx10 card or new PC and buy Windows Vista, sure it's gonna be worth.

feherrobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 feherrobert
Member since 2007 • 102 Posts
I don't think its worth buying yet because there aren't so many graphic cards that support dx10.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts
[QUOTE="BenTheJamin"]not worth it, way too many bugs and crap. DX10 is cool but not worth putting up with vista.thanatose

I keep seeing posts like this one and have got to wonder how many people are just jumping on the bandwagon and how many people have actually used Vista.

Yeah really. Honestly, who is having so many problems with Vista? I dunno, maybe those people need to throw out their hardware or something :P

At some point I expect to have a problem, but so far I haven't had any. Period. Every game I've thrown at it, it has run easily.

Of course newer games are no problem, but the other day I was messing around running some old DOS games under DOSbox.

Being able to run ancient DOS games using something as new as Vista 64-bit is pretty cool if you think about it :D

monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#12 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
When it becomes a requirement to play games, it will be totally worth it.
tsb247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 tsb247
Member since 2004 • 1373 Posts

Vista isn't worth it as of now.  There are just far too many compatibility issues at the moment to make it worth your hard-earned dime.  I have a relative who just bought a new computer with Vista a few months ago.  When we tried to install a virus scanner (Norton), a compatibility issue caused the computer to crash so badly that we had to run the entire setup procedure (for Vista) again.  Most programs just aren't designed to run with Vista yet so if you do go with Vista, it may be a while before you can really utilize it.  It's buggy, and there isn't much out there for it yet.  In my humble opinion, Vista was a HUGE mistake in the first place.

deadbubisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deadbubisu
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I wouldn't say that it is worth mainly because DX10 isn't supported by many graphics cards. Unless your willing to spend  $$. There are also many problems with software running on Vista. I know that one of my friends bought a Dell with Vista already on it and it wouldn't let him open any applications at all. But them again XP had just as many problems when it forst came out. So give Vista a year or so and then get it when when they start to create security packs for it.
mottadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mottadude
Member since 2006 • 119 Posts
MAYBE, and only MAYBE, when vista-only games stop looking like DX7 technology!!
wargasm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 wargasm666
Member since 2003 • 579 Posts

I've had Vista for about a month now with my new build and I really like it. I like the overall look and feel of it. There are alot of bugs to work out and driver issues. Transferring files between my drives isn't as fast as XP. I've had a few game crashes on HL:ep 1 and Far Cry that I couldn't explain. The games would just C2D.......new titles like C&C 3, STALKER and CoH (before latest patch) run flawlessly, so far ;)

I have given some thought to just going back to XP till the SP comes out but in the long run (for me) it would be a pain in the a**. Vista is a pretty sleek OS and I see alot of potential in it after it gets a little help. From what I can remember it runs a million times better then when XP first was launched.

My biggest complaint right now with the latest software is the drivers for the Nvidia cards.....holy s***!!! The driver issues for the 8800 series cards need to get sorted out BAD!

I'd say if you're building an entire new system now then go with Vista, if you're just considering Vista for your current rig then wait. 

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

Vista or XP for gaming honestly makes no difference. The difference with vista is that you get a heap of nice new features and once you have 2 gigs of ram your system will be much much faster when compared to XP.

This thread pops up daily for some reason....

wargasm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wargasm666
Member since 2003 • 579 Posts

Vista or XP for gaming honestly makes no difference. The difference with vista is that you get a heap of nice new features and once you have 2 gigs of ram your system will be much much faster. This thread pops up daily for some reason....Deihmos

yeah, I haven't seen the performance drop in Vista to XP.  Everything runs fas as hell.  True, the features are awesome, Aero is awesome!

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Deihmos

[QUOTE="Deihmos"]Vista or XP for gaming honestly makes no difference. The difference with vista is that you get a heap of nice new features and once you have 2 gigs of ram your system will be much much faster. This thread pops up daily for some reason....wargasm666

yeah, I haven't seen the performance drop in Vista to XP.  Everything runs fas as hell.  True, the features are awesome, Aero is awesome!

Yes Aero is a huge plus. When i first got Vista i turned it off but that was a mistake. With it on my PC is so much faster.

If you don't have 2 gigs of memory all you need is a USB drive for ready boost and you are good to go.

Cabal23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cabal23
Member since 2003 • 1268 Posts
I was complaining against it, but then picked up a copy at Comp USA as they were closing down for $75 and gave it a whirl. No problems as of yet. I do get occassional crashes in a particular older game. I think it is beautifully smooth. Definatley will require a patch here or there but you can't stop progress.
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
Vista is magical :)
rbush101a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rbush101a
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts
what's Aero?
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamerchris810

what's Aero?rbush101a

A chocolate bar. with bubbles... 

spiltmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 spiltmilk
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts

mrking

The amount of moronic comments like this regarding with Vista is insane. Vista runs games fine now, Dx10 doesn't matter, last I checked Dx9 games run fine in vista. vista is ten times better then XP ever was. I think people just bash vista because it is MS and have no idea what they are even talking about 99% of the time.

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamerchris810
[QUOTE="mrking"]

spiltmilk

The amount of moronic comments like this regarding with Vista is insane. Vista runs games fine now, Dx10 doesn't matter, last I checked Dx9 games run fine in vista. vista is ten times better then XP ever was. I think people just bash vista because it is MS and have no idea what they are even talking about 99% of the time.

I AGREE, and now im leaving since ive posted alot.. 

Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

Yeah really. Honestly, who is having so many problems with Vista? I dunno, maybe those people need to throw out their hardware or something :P

At some point I expect to have a problem, but so far I haven't had any. Period. Every game I've thrown at it, it has run easily.

Of course newer games are no problem, but the other day I was messing around running some old DOS games under DOSbox.

Being able to run ancient DOS games using something as new as Vista 64-bit is pretty cool if you think about it :D

Nitrous2O

Exactly. Compatibility issues are the worst thing about Vista, and it's something that's expected. Vista by itself is great. Games in Vista run about 5-10 FPS slower than on XP and that's not surprising, either.

You're the one that has to decide if Vista is worth it or not. Look up some of the compatibility lists on google, Microsoft has one, or you can check the developer's website for more information. If none of the apps you want run on Vista then that should make it blatantly clear not to upgrade to Vista. Nobody does their own research these days. 

At least nobody said "wait for service pack1" which wont do anything for gaming unless MS decides to do extra work. At this point, it's up to the programmers to upgrade their apps/games, not MS.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Deihmos
[QUOTE="mrking"]

spiltmilk

I agree with you completely.

spiltmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 spiltmilk
[QUOTE="Nitrous2O"]

At some point I expect to have a problem, but so far I haven't had any. Period. Every game I've thrown at it, it has run easily.

DeeJayInphinity

Exactly. Compatibility issues are the worst thing about Vista, and it's something that's expected. Vista by itself is great. Games in Vista run about 5-10 FPS slower than on XP and that's not surprising, either.

You're the one that has to decide if Vista is worth it or not. Look up some of the compatibility lists on google, Microsoft has one, or you can check the developer's website for more information. If none of the apps you want run on Vista then that should make it blatantly clear not to upgrade to Vista. Nobody does their own research these days.

At least nobody said "wait for service pack1" which wont do anything for gaming unless MS decides to do extra work. At this point, it's up to the programmers to upgrade their apps/games, not MS.

even compatability issues are few and far between now, and the ones that do exist are more vendor issues then OS. can MS make Nero support version 6 in vista? That is Nero's issue, not Vista. Certainly could support nero 6 in Vista, but choose to force people to spend $80 on nero 7. Soe dumb end user will go around saying Vista sucks because the Nero installer will not work in vista, but in realiy it is nero that choose to try and capitalize on Vista witha  money grab, nt MS. I build Pc's and have no issues with Vista at all, I have 20 games, all work flawlessly, I use Ipods, virus Software, work from home using remore software,  have my 360 hooked upand network to my Pc and use wireless, all work outstanding in vista 64 bit. No reason to stay with XP if you have the money to get Vista. There are a wealth of improvements and features.

smustafaali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 smustafaali
Member since 2003 • 43 Posts

as far as vista is converned abt gamez... all i can say iz it sucks... seriously.... becoz not all games can b played...

+ if u want higheter graphci games to be played .. u need more ram... xp is better even when low ram xD

well i have vista ultiamte.. but ..stilll i consider xp pro... dats all xD 

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DeeJayInphinity

even compatability issues are few and far between now, and the ones that do exist are more vendor issues then OS. can MS make Nero support version 6 in vista? That is Nero's issue, not Vista. Certainly could support nero 6 in Vista, but choose to force people to spend $80 on nero 7. Soe dumb end user will go around saying Vista sucks because the Nero installer will not work in vista, but in realiy it is nero that choose to try and capitalize on Vista witha money grab, nt MS. I build Pc's and have no issues with Vista at all, I have 20 games, all work flawlessly, I use Ipods, virus Software, work from home using remore software, have my 360 hooked upand network to my Pc and use wireless, all work outstanding in vista 64 bit. No reason to stay with XP if you have the money to get Vista. There are a wealth of improvements and features.

spiltmilk

That's why I tell people to look up their apps. Developers are never afraid of telling people that their application will not run well on Vista because they don't want calls and e-mails about it. They will list it either on the download page or their main page. Look up the apps you're going to use and see if they work on Vista. If they do, upgrade to Vista. It's pointless to wait because you're going to do it eventually. Tons of people keep saying that they will keep XP until the next OS but that's just silly and stubborn.

Dual-booting Vista and XP is so simple, too. You don't have to throw away your copy of XP to enjoy Vista.

Funny thing is.. I have Nero6 and I tried installing it on Vista. It didn't work, but at least I'm not jumping around screaming "Vista is trash." :P

anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts

as far as vista is converned abt gamez... all i can say iz it sucks... seriously.... becoz not all games can b played...

+ if u want higheter graphci games to be played .. u need more ram... xp is better even when low ram xD

smustafaali

Thats because your pc isnt good and you havent installed the latest drivers for the graphics card

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DeeJayInphinity
[QUOTE="smustafaali"]

anshul89

Thats because your pc isnt good and you havent installed the latest drivers for the graphics card

You can get Vista to run well on older/low-spec PCs if you cut out the eye-candy. You can do the same thing with XP.

Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts

Vista isn't worth it as of now. There are just far too many compatibility issues at the moment to make it worth your hard-earned dime. I have a relative who just bought a new computer with Vista a few months ago. When we tried to install a virus scanner (Norton), a compatibility issue caused the computer to crash so badly that we had to run the entire setup procedure (for Vista) again. Most programs just aren't designed to run with Vista yet so if you do go with Vista, it may be a while before you can really utilize it. It's buggy, and there isn't much out there for it yet. In my humble opinion, Vista was a HUGE mistake in the first place.

tsb247

That's odd...because I have both Norton AV installed on my Vista 64-bit system right now.  Granted, you can't install Systemworks right now because it's not compatible with Vista...but I hardly consider that a net loss for me compared to all the features that Vista gives me.

As far as games support, I've only had two issues since I've installed the Ultimate nearly two months ago: X-COM: Terror From the Deep and Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic 2.  Considering that I've been playing games ranging from GTA2 and Diablo all the way up to NWN2, CoH, SupCom, and Shadowrun...I think that playing legacy games is actually pretty well handled by Vista. 

spiltmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 spiltmilk

smustafaali

you have no clue. Your post sounds like a 2 year old wrote it, good god. A little grammar goes a long way.

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

Had Vista installed...

After a few weeks...uninstalled it and reloaded XP

My rig is more than ready for DX10...but Vista isn't.

Q6700 @2.6

8800 GTX

4 gigs  ddr 2

blah blah...

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts
Vista was total crap 6 months ago but now it isn't too bad most of the compatibility problems have been fixed and every game i've installed on vista i've had no real problems...some issues but the latest game patches fixed them
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Deihmos

Had Vista installed...

After a few weeks...uninstalled it and reloaded XP

My rig is more than ready for DX10...but Vista isn't.

Q6700 @2.6

8800 GTX

4 gigs  ddr 2

blah blah...

OgreB

XP with 4 gigs? Unless you are referring to Xp x64.

knut-am

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 knut-am
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts

[QUOTE="BenTheJamin"]not worth it, way too many bugs and crap. DX10 is cool but not worth putting up with vista.thanatose

I've been running Vista since shortly after launch and have had only one problem with anything and that was the game Jade Empire. The game played great but Vista kept changing the saved game folder to read only so I couldn't save the game. Other than that I've really enjoyed using it. Yes the games run a little bit slower FPS wise but the difference isn't even noticeable.

right, if XP run it at 84fps, why worrie if Vista for now only run the same at 78fps.. if you have a new good PC Vista is just fine. and there is allways the possibillity of Dual boot so you can have the best of the two worlds, and never any compability problems if that is what people are afraid of.

anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts

right, if XP run it at 84fps, why worrie if Vista for now only run the same at 78fps.. if you have a new good PC Vista is just fine. and there is allways the possibillity of Dual boot so you can have the best of the two worlds, and never any compability problems if that is what people are afraid of.

knut-am

Exactly...theres no difference if u lose 5-10 frames as long as you can play with max settings
BrCaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BrCaK
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
whats with people saying bugs what kind of bugs please i had vista after 2 weeks it cam out n NEver Since had a prob play my games had my programs working from XP n im not complaining i do like it without a dough, i dnt get bout bugs which bugs never even got a virus awesome no joke
smustafaali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 smustafaali
Member since 2003 • 43 Posts
the recent bug thay ppl witnessed was ..when they updated their vista .. after some time .. it started giving errors, 8008585 something .. it has happed to me as well, i can update, been in contact with microsoft , the best solution they gave was reinstall ur vista :S, but i am still running it :D and it legit , still it has probs. :S
vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Vista, people are just jumping on the bandwagon. Two things however, stick with XP if you are just playing games as Vista is more resource heavy than XP. Also seeing as Windows 7 is less than a year away I dont see the point in buying Vista now, you might as well hang on a bit longer.
iki080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 iki080
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts
i have it but some times its okay but some times u just wanna break something because games keep crashing on it sound problems and ect. i have a 5.1 and its only playing at 2.1 i set it to 5.1 but does not wanna work still. If i was you i wait for windows 7 it has dx11 i think
leonardrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 leonardrt
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
i cant beleve iv jus seen this post as iv always dissed vista.and jus got it yesterday to play dx 10 games haha.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I wouldn't get Vista just yet. I'll start recommending Vista when I start using it over XP.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
NOt for games, multimedia wise though it's quite good but if you've been gaming for a while then you'll already know how to arrange all your game shortcuts into one folder (basicly game explorer in vista) there are some nice features but you won't really notice them with gaming
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

I am a huge advocate of people getting Vista becuase it will then move the gaming industry forward (game developers are still developing mostly for DirectX 9 becuase so many gamers are not upgrading) SEANMCAD

i agree thats a good point, its a shame i would have liked to make the switch to vista, i bought vista 64 over a year ago but because of a lack of driver support for my sound card and compatibilitiy with certain non gaming applications, i remain on xp (dual boot).