Valve reveals specs for its Steam Machine prototype

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Valve today announced system specifications for its Steam Machine prototype, which the company will ship to 300 usersthis year as part of a limited hardware testing program.

• GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
  • CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
  • RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
  • Hard drive: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
  • Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
  • Hard Drive: 35GB HD space
  • Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

In a statement on the Steam Community website, Valve described its prototype as "something special." It is built from off-the-shelf PC parts and is fully upgradable, meaning users can swap out the GPU, hard drive, CPU, or the motherboard if they want to.

"To be clear, this design is not meant to serve the needs of all of the tens of millions of Steam users," Valve said about its prototype. "It may, however, be the kind of machine that a significant percentage of Steam users would actually want to purchase--those who want plenty of performance in a high-end living room package. Many others would opt for machines that have been more carefully designed to cost less, or to be tiny, or super quiet, and there will be Steam Machines that fit those descriptions.

Valve said it is not ready to share a picture of its prototype because "they're not finished enough." However, the company said it will post images of the device before units ship to testers this year. Valve also expects users to redesign the machine from a technical perspective and from an industrial design angle, changing the enclosure in new ways.

"So high-powered SteamOS living room machines are nice, and fun to play with, and will make many Steam customers happy. But there are a lot of other Steam customers who already have perfectly great gaming hardware at home in the form of a powerful PC," Valve said.

"The prototype we're talking about here is not meant to replace that. Many of those users would like to have a way to bridge the gap into the living room without giving up their existing hardware and without spending lots of money," Valve added. "We think that's a great goal, and we're working on ways to use our in-home streaming technology to accomplish it--we'll talk more about that in the future."

Valve's Steam Machine, as well as units made by a variety of companies, will be available beginning in 2014. Hardware specifications for those machines will differ, in many cases substantially, from Valve's system, the company said.

Pricing has not been announced

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Steam boxes are kind of moot for people who already have gaming rigs, like me. But I did sign up for the beta anyways. Hopefully I get lucky!

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Steam boxes are kind of moot for people who already have gaming rigs, like me. But I did sign up for the beta anyways. Hopefully I get lucky!

The_Capitalist
Just say if you don't know a lot about hardware, do you think this could make upgrading a lot more accessible??
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

The_Capitalist

It's moot for people who have gaming rigs but not a very good home theater system. Otherwise this is perfect for people who actually have good televisions and surround sound setups. Think if it as an extension of your gaming setup. It's not supposed to replace your gaming rig, and if that's what you think, you haven't been paying attention.

DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts

I don't understand how all that big stuff can fit inside a small box. I mean it gonna be really hot and probably gonna make alot of noise too. Nvidia Titan is already 1K $, so I guess the high-end Steam Machine gonna cost like a high-end PC rig. I still don't really understand what Steam Machine is gonna do lol....beside SteamOS and maybe Steam Controller then I don't think there is anything interesting in Steam Machine....well at least for me.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#6 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
pretty good specs, but not helpful without a price. be rather interesting if valve got special deals on hardware and could sell it for a little over the price of parts.
blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
Well its better than my PC :P
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

Mcspanky37

It's moot for people who have gaming rigs but not a very good home theater system. Otherwise this is perfect for people who actually have good televisions and surround sound setups. Think if it as an extension of your gaming setup. It's not supposed to replace your gaming rig, and if that's what you think, you haven't been paying attention.

Modern PC's have HDMI out ports. Modern TV's, have HDMI in ports. Why do i need a second PC, simply to game on a different screen? :|
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mcspanky37
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Mcspanky37"] [QUOTE="The_Capitalist"] Steam boxes are kind of moot for people who already have gaming rigs, like me. But I did sign up for the beta anyways. Hopefully I get lucky!

Modern PC's have HDMI out ports. Modern TV's, have HDMI in ports. Why do i need a second PC, simply to game on a different screen? :|

Well, if you have all your electronics in one tiny room so you can haul your PC back and forth between setups with little inconvenience, then I could possibly see your point.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

biggest_loser
Just say if you don't know a lot about hardware, do you think this could make upgrading a lot more accessible??

No. I don't think so. The only way it would be more accessible if it were a completely modular system, where you could easily snap two things together and boom you are more powerful. These things are probably going to have even smaller cases than desktop PCs so it will probably be even harder to work on.
Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
Don't care about the "box"... I'll just download the OS and maybe get the controller and boom job done. Mind you when I could have just hooked my PC my TV and use a 360 controller... But I never did and don't really want to. Well... Erm... Dam I don't think I want this but would like to try the controller. Personally I will just by the Oculus Rift when its out, the developer version has been tempting me but I'm going to wait for the retail product.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Mcspanky37"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Mcspanky37"] It's moot for people who have gaming rigs but not a very good home theater system. Otherwise this is perfect for people who actually have good televisions and surround sound setups. Think if it as an extension of your gaming setup. It's not supposed to replace your gaming rig, and if that's what you think, you haven't been paying attention.

Well, if you have all your electronics in one tiny room so you can haul your PC back and forth between setups with little inconvenience, then I could possibly see your point.

Because a long HDMI cable, and wireless 360 controllers are so hard to come by :roll:
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mcspanky37
[QUOTE="Mcspanky37"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Modern PC's have HDMI out ports. Modern TV's, have HDMI in ports. Why do i need a second PC, simply to game on a different screen? :|Nibroc420

Because a long HDMI cable, and wireless 360 controllers are so hard to come by :roll:

:roll: My wall is too packed with a big TV, subwoofer, tower speakers, and console storage to fit my giant tower anywhere nearby. And the main point which somehow went over your head - it's not terribly convenient rearranging my living room, unplugging everything from its cramped corner space, and hauling my full-size PC tower across the house - as well as bringing it back, plugging everything back in, etc. I already own 3 PCs, with one of those already being in a home theater setup at my girlfriend's. If these Steam Machines come with these great specs and come cheap due to their mass production, I don't see why I wouldn't get one. I'd really appreciate a sleek form factor and case. I also really want to check out that controller.
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Dude. Those are some hefty specs. For next gen games - that shouldnt be bad at all. Nice.
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

tl;dr

It's a gaming HTPC (Home Theater PC), probably an m-ITX chassis.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Mcspanky37"] It's moot for people who have gaming rigs but not a very good home theater system. Otherwise this is perfect for people who actually have good televisions and surround sound setups. Think if it as an extension of your gaming setup. It's not supposed to replace your gaming rig, and if that's what you think, you haven't been paying attention. Mcspanky37

Why not just build 2 great PCs instead of the steam box? set steam big picture mode to startup with windows. pretty simple. And its not just a steam box its an ACTUAL PC. This is just steam trying to get money from console fanboys

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Dude. Those are some hefty specs. For next gen games - that shouldnt be bad at all. Nice. Gamesterpheonix

Yeah they will be outdated specs pretty quick. making the steambox obsolete in a year or so

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

[QUOTE="Gamesterpheonix"]Dude. Those are some hefty specs. For next gen games - that shouldnt be bad at all. Nice. _SKatEDiRt_

Yeah they will be outdated specs pretty quick. making the steambox obsolete in a year or so

No, it will run games just fine in a year if it's high end. You can take the GPU and upgrade it with a new one. It's pretty much a PC running SteamOS. Nothing fancy or proprietary.
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mcspanky37

[QUOTE="Mcspanky37"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Modern PC's have HDMI out ports. Modern TV's, have HDMI in ports. Why do i need a second PC, simply to game on a different screen? :|_SKatEDiRt_

Why not just build 2 great PCs instead of the steam box? set steam big picture mode to startup with windows. pretty simple. And its not just a steam box its an ACTUAL PC. This is just steam trying to get money from console fanboys

Because it will be cheaper? What's so hard to understand about that? These are basically mass-produced PCs with decent hardware. Why not try a tinier, quiter PC counterpart that is cheaper than what the products would cost if assembled individually?
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Why not try a tinier, quiter PC counterpart that is cheaper than what the products would cost if assembled individually?Mcspanky37

Because there's been nothing to suggest that the steamboxes will be any cheaper than a home-built PC with the same parts. It's extremely likely, almost a given, that they will be considerably more expensive. Why would mass production change that? You know what else is mass produced, just like the steamboxes will soon be? Brand name, box store computers. Every single one of which is far more expensive than the sum of its parts. 

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

[QUOTE="Mcspanky37"] Well, if you have all your electronics in one tiny room so you can haul your PC back and forth between setups with little inconvenience, then I could possibly see your point.Mcspanky37

Because it will be cheaper? What's so hard to understand about that? These are basically mass-produced PCs with decent hardware. Why not try a tinier, quiter PC counterpart that is cheaper than what the products would cost if assembled individually?

Because that's simply not the case. If "mass produced PCs with decent hardware" were cheaper to produce, Dell wouldn't be charging $3,000 for an "Alienware PC". Smaller, and quieter = more heat, = less longevity. Smaller form factor = integrated parts, like a Laptop = inability to upgrade.