Valve Index: any word on when they'll be in stock?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Seriously want to buy a Valve Index. I can't wait for VR 2.0 I will have to settle for VR 1.5, but the screen door effect on my Oculus Rift is bugging me.

Anyway, any educated guesses or sources on when it will be released?

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I would wait till April just to be sure Oculus doesn't have anything new coming out.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Seriously want to buy a Valve Index. I can't wait for VR 2.0 I will have to settle for VR 1.5, but the screen door effect on my Oculus Rift is bugging me.

Anyway, any educated guesses or sources on when it will be released?

I feel ya man it's one of the reasons why my headset is in the closet. I'm waiting for next gen VR also I hate having sensors on my PC desk it just is a eye sore and gets in the way. I just want to sit on my recliner in the future with a 8k wireless VR headset with haptic gloves and drive around in a open world game.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

I know pimax is very rough around the edges,but those are the minimum resolutions I expect for screens that close to my face, not this index crap.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrbojangles25

@dxmcat said:

I know pimax is very rough around the edges,but those are the minimum resolutions I expect for screens that close to my face, not this index crap.

I was under the impression the resolution on Index was a large improvement over an Oculus Rift. I also heard the display they use is better suited for VR than others (forgot the name of it).

The main reason I'm doing this is because a.) it sounds really kickass, and b.) it should lessen or eliminate the screen door effect.

A lot of the games I play are sims (Elite: Dangerous, DCS World, and VTOL VR to name a few) and these sims often have small HUDs with text on them, I need something that makes it easier to read text.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dxmcat

@mrbojangles25: Pimax 5k is 5120*1440. Pimax 8k is 7680x2160. Both have 90hz oleds and 200 fov.

Valve Index is 2880x1600.

Yea index is an improvement but still meh

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25

@dxmcat said:

@mrbojangles25: Pimax 5k is 5120*1440. Pimax 8k is 7680x2160. Both have 90hz oleds and 200 fov.

Valve Index is 2880x1600.

Yea index is an improvement but still meh

Yeah Pimax's selling point to me is the FOV for sure. Plus it looks cool. But I'd still need the base stations and controllers (not sure if it works with Oculus Rift controllers and base stations, maybe you can clarify).

But at the same time, I've read into them and while they seem to be taking orders, they don't really ship anything. It's sort of like if Valve took your money for Index but never shipped it to you instead of simply telling you "We will ship it when it's ready" and frankly I'm not going to gamble on a Pimax like that.

Would rather stick with a company I know, trust, and has served me well for the past 15+ years.

Plus it sounds like the Index has more or less rid itself of the screen door effect; people say you don't notice it and you really need to look for anything wrong to find it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#8  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

In theory, Pimax is great with that resolution. In reality.... good luck running games at 7680x2160/90fps. So, it is pretty pointless with today's rendering hardware.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dxmcat

@mrbojangles25: @BassMan: I have no idea how reliable their ship dates are. I was just using them as an example. Supposedly it works with valve index stuff, I dunno bout oculus.

And yes. Good luck running games at that, So VR can **** off for now, I'll stick with my big screen in muh face.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

You guys are focusing on Resolution and FOV without taking into account how they affect one another and what that means to image clarity in VR.

Pixel Density... Those Pimax HMD's have the worst pixel density and also I would like to add that the main reason why people have the screen door affect is due to OLED's and their sub pixel layout.

Pimax 200 FOV with OLED panels... While yes will offer better blacks/contrast and FOV BUT they will have a more noticeable screen door affect due to them being OLED and having a lower pixel density than something like a Rift S with a LCD and a lower FOV.

So if you want clarity and no screen door affect... Go with a the highest pixel density LCD HMD you can afford and right now its literally either Index or Rift S.

I have used a Vive and Rift... The Rift S is NOTICEABLY sharper with almost no screen door effect.

I will be sticking with my Rift S until a new Rift comes out with a higher FOV and Pixel density LCD at 90/100Hz.

Dream would be a 140 FOV with 3520x1980 5.5" LCD with at 100Hz which would give it a 734ppi/140fov... In comparison to the Rift S 538ppi/115fov and Index at 598ppi/130fov, it would be truly spectacular.

OLED with high FOV = low PPI + Screen door effect. So stay away from Pimax.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#11 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-index-headsets-will-be-back-in-stock-on-monday-but-probably-not-for-long/

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25

@BassMan said:

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-index-headsets-will-be-back-in-stock-on-monday-but-probably-not-for-long/

Thank you for the update. I also got an email from them saying as much (03/09/20 I believe is what they said).

I will be sitting at my computer with my finger on the button haha