biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

“Game developers inform Valve when a disruptive player has been detected in their game, and Valve applies the game ban to the account. The game developer is solely responsible for the decision to apply a game ban. Valve only enforces the game ban as instructed by the game developer.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/valve-gives-developers-the-power-to-ban-steam-users/0148807?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mcvuk%2Fstream+%28MCV%3A+Home+Stream%29

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Can they ban a player from a game, or ban the entire account with tons of games?

Gamer_Durandal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3  Edited By Gamer_Durandal
Member since 2014 • 129 Posts

From the OP - game ban, so they can ban you from their game - not ban you from all of the games you own (only Valve can do that, I'd imagine). Well, I guess its a race to see how long DayZ has players, given the developer's fondness of banning people for all sorts of slights - real or imaginary. If I were a betting man, I'd say....30 days, perhaps a little less. :)

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

If a game ban means you can't play a game anymore then they should give you full refund otherwise it's highway robbery.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@Kjranu said:

If a game ban means you can't play a game anymore then they should give you full refund otherwise it's highway robbery.

Nope. If you break the ToU they can ban you and they don't owe you anything.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that Steam's support is already almost non-existent and I don't think giving them something else to do is a good idea. I do believe that bans should be handled by the developer or anti-cheat program, and not Steam.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@Kjranu said:

The only thing I'm concerned about is that Steam's support is already almost non-existent and I don't think giving them something else to do is a good idea. I do believe that bans should be handled by the developer or anti-cheat program, and not Steam.

Well thankfully that's still the case. Your Steam account is just flagged by the developers. Steam/Valve themselves aren't doing anything other than giving developers more direct access to VAC and such.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@Kjranu said:

Well thankfully that's still the case. Your Steam account is just flagged by the developers. Steam/Valve themselves aren't doing anything other than giving developers more direct access to VAC and such.

Ah, I guess that's somewhat good news. Although I'm confused about the bans. Does it simply ban the player from playing the entire game, or just the online portion of it? The wording makes it sound like the former.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I think the banning rules are a travesty. If they decide that they don't like you for whatever reason, you're shit out of luck. Steam needs much better customer support.

At least I'm not really into MP...

Edit: Also, banning of entire accounts should be an almost impossible punishment, not that that's directly relevant to this.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

Ah, I guess that's somewhat good news. Although I'm confused about the bans. Does it simply ban the player from playing the entire game, or just the online portion of it? The wording makes it sound like the former.

The article is vague as hell but it sounds like it's pertaining to just the online. They never mention single-player, and it seems more to do with online player interaction. The idea is that developers don't have create their own way of flagging cheaters if their game is exclusively on Steam. They can just limit their access with Steam directly. For example, in the past, if you recorded a video of someone clearly cheating in Chivalry and sent it in to the developers to get them VAC banned, the developers would be unable to do anything unless VAC itself detected the cheats. Now they can just have them banned by issuing one to their Steam ID.

It's possible that this has something to do with Killing Floor 2. In KF2's EULA, Tripwire more or less states that they can ban you if you're being too disruptive, which means you can do something as little as trolling and get banned.

I just don't really understand how this is any different than the developers just banning the CD-Key from their master servers instead of the Steam account. I guess it saves the developers some effort if they don't want to implement these flagging systems themselves.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

Guys its time to start pirating all the games you can. steam, or any of its cronies doesn't deserve any more money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Kjranu said:

Wut.... just wut....

Meanwhile back in reality....

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

What happens when an unscrupulous developer bans someone for submitting an unflattering review? Not saying that will happen but it really wouldn't surprise me if it did.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#13 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

@-wildflower- said:

What happens when an unscrupulous developer bans someone for submitting an unflattering review? Not saying that will happen but it really wouldn't surprise me if it did.

That's exactly what I'm worried about. Who is going to police this and stop developers from abusing their powers?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KHAndAnime
@-wildflower- said:

It'd surprise me - they'd have to ban a lot of Steam users to make any sort of meaningful dent in Steam's review system...

Sounds like it would make for a silly conspiracy.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

@biggest_loser said:
@-wildflower- said:

That's exactly what I'm worried about. Who is going to police this and stop developers from abusing their powers?

Just don't act like a fool in games you play on Steam and you'll be fine.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#16 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Let's just hope that developers crack down hard on cheaters, trolls, and griefers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@biggest_loser said:
@-wildflower- said:

don't play games developed by clown developers. easy. you don't think that Valve wouldn't step in if it happens? you think a legit dev studio can afford to lose their reputation by giving random bans to players? think again.

but yeah, i don't see that any legit studio would EVER "abuse their powers". it's bad business. cheaters, on the other hand, deserve bans. actually, Valve should allow devs to send viruses to cheater accounts.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

A good idea, Valve should start with there owns games, specifically Counterstrike.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@biggest_loser said:
@-wildflower- said:

I'm guessing anonymous reviews will see a rise.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

Certain Steam moderators and steam developers (who have moderator level privileges) quite happily abuse the system, Valve does bugger-all. It's a good point, community features and games themselfs are two different things.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

If i buy a game the game belongs to me. They can ban me from multiplayer if i cheat for a limited time that is reasonable.. But they have to proof that i cheat. Still doesn't allow them to make my entire game void even if i cheat.

Banning steam account with a entire library of games will result in huge lawsuits that valve will lose in europe in a hartbeat.

They can put whatever they want in there TOS at the end it's my country that decides what's gonna happen and not them.

And the moment valve doesn't agree with that, it's game over for them in europe.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Gatygun said:

If i buy a game the game belongs to me. They can ban me from multiplayer if i cheat for a limited time that is reasonable.. But they have to proof that i cheat. Still doesn't allow them to make my entire game void even if i cheat.

Banning steam account with a entire library of games will result in huge lawsuits that valve will lose in europe in a hartbeat.

They can put whatever they want in there TOS at the end it's my country that decides what's gonna happen and not them.

And the moment valve doesn't agree with that, it's game over for them in europe.

I believe when you sign the terms of service, Valve can pretty much do whatever the **** they want.

As far as moderation goes - which includes developer, who have went off the rails several times -

Please note that Administrators/Moderators reserve the right to change/edit/delete/move/merge any content at any time if they feel it is inappropriate, abusive, or incorrectly categorized.

Do not do any of the following:

Openly argue with a moderator

It's deliberately vague, with an all out "go nuclear" option. Which has allowed multiple greenlight and early access hacks to abuse it happily.