Valve games ****ing up my computer.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skinnypete91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 skinnypete91
Member since 2006 • 6022 Posts

Hey all,
I would like some help.

Today I decided I fancied a Portal marathon, as I haven't played it in months and never got round to completing it etc.

But I can't get through 5 minutes without it freezing my computer, the screen going blank and the sounds looping. I have to hold the restart button for it to switch off, and it seems to be causing problems when booting also; when logging in the background shows for a while, with the icons loading eventually.

Despite it being a fresh install, I uninstalled Steam completely and tried again, installing most of the Orange Box.

And yet the problem persists, and the same thing happened when I attempted to play HL2. (I assume the rest of the games will do the same. I don't have/play many other games, but last time I tried BF2 it was fine, so (hopefully) it's just Valve games playing up.)

Any ideas what's going on/how I can fix it? I've already lost hours of fun!

Spec:
E2140 (@2.8G)
X1950Pro
4GB OCZ DDR2 1000
Windows XP

Thanks in advance.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Disable multicore rendering : to do this just bring up the console command and type "mat_queue_mode 0" without the "", have fun.
gamedude00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamedude00
Member since 2008 • 116 Posts

I had the same problem with TF2 and L4D for 3 weeks. And just recently i found out it was my antivirus that was causing the problem, i had bitdefender and switched it with kaspersky.

If changing your antivirus doesnt work, reinstall windows.

skinnypete91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 skinnypete91
Disable multicore rendering : to do this just bring up the console command and type "mat_queue_mode 0" without the "", have fun. Dante2710
No luck with this, yet. (4 attempts resulting in 4 freezes/crashes) Am currently installing latest graphics drivers, and will disable my firewall and AV (ZA and AVG) for the next. Really hope I don't have to reinstall windows, although it might be a good excuse to upgrade at last. :/ Thanks a lot guys :)
skinnypete91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 skinnypete91
Still can't get anything working :( Every crash seems to corrupt the display driver install, so I have to reinstall that and lose even more of my life. Any other ideas? If an OS reinstall is necessary then I'm ****ed for now.
dan_plus_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dan_plus_o
Member since 2003 • 2240 Posts
Sounds like a driver problem to me... Did you completely remove your old drivers? Here's how I do it: -First install Driver Cleaner Pro -Uninstall display drivers -Restart into safe mode (Push F8 at start up) -Then run driver cleaner Pro (Select which ever brand you have... Nvidia or ATI) -Then restart your computer into regular mode -Any popups that come up saying you have hardware that needs to be installed... Click cancel!! Do not let windows automatically get drivers for it because you don't know if they are the correct up to date drivers. -Then run the exe installer of the newest graphics card drivers. -Restart computer after install is complete Another thing you could try if you haven't is to defrag your hard drive and check the hard drive for any errors. Right click on all your local drives, go to properties, and click on the tools tab to do that.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Disable multicore rendering : to do this just bring up the console command and type "mat_queue_mode 0" without the "", have fun. Dante2710
That can fix stutters too.
pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts

Try rolling back to an older driver version.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
try lowering your fsb, 2.8ghz is alot more than your processors stock 1.6ghz so it may have become unstable as time went on.
dan_plus_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dan_plus_o
try lowering your fsb, 2.8ghz is alot more than your processors stock 1.6ghz so it may have become unstable as time went on.ferret-gamer
Good call! I didn't notice that.. 2.8ghz from 1.6ghz is a big jump.. I would also assume this is the problem. Maybe install Speedfan or something like that and make it save the temps to a log file. So when your PC does freeze you can restart and check the log files to see if it was heat related. If its not due to overheating then its probably a voltage problem with the overclocked cpu. Since modern CPUs automatically throttle down to a lower clock speed you won't have any problems until you run a game that puts load on the cpu. Maybe get the ATI Tool http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ and run that to see if you run into any problems. Just click on "scan for artifacts". And if your graphics card is overclocked too you may want to try turning that down as well to see if that fixes the problem.
skinnypete91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 skinnypete91
Lots of good tips, thanks :) Have tried the CPU at stock speeds, no success (graphics card is stock) Fairly sure neither GPU or CPU are overheating BUT I am certain the X1950Pro is faulty - running that artifacts test causes serious artifacts, freezing and crashing. Gah, it works most of the time then fails when I need it the most! :( I will try a more thorough driver removal and reinstall, and try a reformat when I eventually get a new HDD. I will also try and cadge my friend's old X1950XT off him. Thanks a lot for the help guys, but it looks like this is impossible to resolve without me spending money. hmph.
dan_plus_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dan_plus_o
I would check the temps on the graphics card as high temps can obviously cause freezing and instability. If it is a heat issue it could probably be fixed by purchasing an after market heatsink and fan and then applying that with some fresh new thermal paste. If you are sure it is not heat related.... You could install the card in your friends computer (providing both cards use the same drivers) and how it runs on his system would tell you if it is driver related or not. I would think they would use the same drivers since they are both X1950 cards. I'm not too familiar with ATI cards. Of course if you are down with installing a clean operating system then you wouldn't need to use your buddy's computer. But it wouldn't hurt to test it in your friend's computer since it could be some other hardware related problem. A faulty power supply may not be giving it enough power to operate properly, or a faulty motherboard could cause instability.