Unknown Computer Problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rheiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rheiken
Member since 2009 • 677 Posts

Hey, my computer keeps acting strangely. What it does is it will skip every once in a while (audio and visuals), and freeze at times. While gaming it will sometimes freeze, or the screen will artifact heavily at times. Other times, my computer acts normally. My CPU is fairly new (got it this year), the RAM is new (got it around February), the GPU is new (got it around June), yet the motherboard is pretty old (around 5 years old now). The HDD is the newest of them all, as I replaced my old one, thinking it was causing this problem. The PSU is also 5 years old, and I don't even know its wattage.

Would anyone know what the problem is? I'm thinking it's the motherboard or the PSU. I'll inevitably replace both, but I was wondering which would have the most likely cause? I also know this isn't software related, I have all the latest drivers and no sort of malicious software on the computer.

x-TwilighT-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 x-TwilighT-x
Member since 2008 • 429 Posts
Well, "New" is not the issue, you can buy "New" equiptment that is out dated... What we actually need here, its the pc specs, I highly doubt its the mobo or psu. Is your video card also your audio source? (HDMI) It sounds like a video problem to me... What kind of card is it?
Rheiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rheiken
Member since 2009 • 677 Posts

CPU: E8400 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

GPU: MSi TwinFrozR 260 GTX:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127464&Tpk=twin%20frozr%20gtx%20260

Tim_Millington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Tim_Millington
Member since 2007 • 1615 Posts

have you disabled any unnecessary services running? What games is it happening in? And have you checked for viruses?

Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

I may be out of it but maybe your PSU is underpowering the new video card. I have a twin forzr 275 and know it uses alot of power. Just a thought. Artifacts are usually attributed to video cards.