Ubisoft major titles, no steam uk release

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

The Crew. Far Cry 4. Assassin’s Creed Unity. Ubisoft’s three-pronged Christmas assault will be happening everywhere but on Steam’s UK store.

Steam versions of all three games are missing from the publisher’s UK listings for November and December, when they’ll be available to buy in shops.

Assassin’s Creed Unity will be out on November 13 in Europe, Far Cry 4 on November 20, and The Crew on December 2. They’ll all be available via UK digital distributors that aren’t Steam, and appear on Steam for users across the rest of the world.

“We’ve been in discussions with Valve about Assassin’s Creed Unity but for the time being the game is not available via Steam in the UK,” Ubisoft told PCGamesN.

“In the meantime, UK customers wishing to purchase the game digitally can do so by visiting the Uplay store, our retail partners or other digital distributors.”

So what’s so special about Steam in the UK? What stops Ubisoft and Valve from working together?

The issue, I suspect, is pricing. Currently, a digital version of the PC version of Assassin’s Creed: Unity is available online for £49.99 from both Ubisoft’s own store uPlay, and other independent digital retailers including GreenManGaming and Gamersgate.

That price would make it considerably more expensive to buy than any other games on Steam. Generally, the cost of single games on Steam rarely reaches over £40. The most expensive retail games right now on Valve’s platform are Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, and South Park: The Stick of Truth which currently sell for £39.99. Special editions, DLC bundles, software and some free-to-play DLC can be bought for more.

The £50 price that Ubisoft are quoting for the digital PC versions of their games is still lower than the £55 they’re charging in the Xbox One and PS4 digital stores.

Our brightest hope is that the games will be made available on Steam’s UK store at a later date. I also hope that the absence of the game on Steam, and the unusually high price elsewhere does not impact on UK sales, or drive players to key-strippers.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/assassins-creed-unity/ubisoft-s-new-games-arent-available-on-steam-in-the-uk-uk-customers-wishing-to-purchase-the-game-digitally-can-do-so-by-visiting-the-uplay-store

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Ubi is becoming the new EA.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I saw the preorder for AC Unity on Steam here in Norway... What I hate though is that they have switched to NOK Kr currency here, which means the games, at least major titles, costs even more. It is cheaper for me to buy AC Unity in the store when it releases than through Steam.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Everyone trying to get a slice of that pie.... Works for Steam, so "Why won't it work for us!"

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

That's because they don't want steam to undercut them especially since the games are coming out before the Steam Christmas sale.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uninspiredcup

@Arthas045 said:

Everyone trying to get a slice of that pie.... Works for Steam, so "Why won't it work for us!"

Because people like Valve. lol.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Because people like Valve. lol.

+1.

Cause Valve doesn't try to scr3w you in order to get more money...

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I so wish my government didn't hand this company money, or give them tax breaks. Money could instead go to small start ups or indie developers to expand and hire more people. But nope lets give it too a big publisher with their heads up their ass in regards to treating their customers with some fucking respect.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wis3boi

just noticed Unity has been pulled from steam entirely

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@wis3boi said:

really? link? because for a minute i thought i had been teleported to UK.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wis3boi

@Kh1ndjal said:

@wis3boi said:

i cant link because it doesnt exist any more. Look at the steam store top sellers, click on Unity....doesnt go anywhere. Also doesnt appear in searches

edit: Farcry 4 and the Crew are gone as well

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@Kh1ndjal said:

@wis3boi said:

i cant link because it doesnt exist any more. Look at the steam store top sellers, click on Unity....doesnt go anywhere. Also doesnt appear in searches

edit: Farcry 4 and the Crew are gone as well

Huh, you're right.

Well Ubi always had a ways of pleasing the PC crowd.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

apparently they are not available in any EU country . Just checked now and neither game is available .I could swear they were available before for preorder ( not sure so i might be mistaken though )

And on uplay its 60euro. Thank you but no Ubisoft. I hope both games will bomb in pc sales so they might get a hint that they are doing both pricing and not been available on Steam wrong

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@horgen said:

I saw the preorder for AC Unity on Steam here in Norway... What I hate though is that they have switched to NOK Kr currency here, which means the games, at least major titles, costs even more. It is cheaper for me to buy AC Unity in the store when it releases than through Steam.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Why would something be more expensive online than from a store?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@airshocker said:

@horgen said:

This doesn't make any sense to me. Why would something be more expensive online than from a store?

I've been asking that question since Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.

FarCry 4 is £40 on GMG and Amazon and Game but £50 on Uplay.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Well that's annoying, I enjoy the Far Cry series. Maybe it'll turn up in a few months.

I-Siamak-I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 I-Siamak-I
Member since 2014 • 53 Posts

It's been pulled out of US Steam as well, I for one won't buy any Ubisoft Title anymore if they are not on Steam.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Uplay? My favorite!

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jorbit
Member since 2011 • 51 Posts

Lol, what's worse is if you open uplay and look for it there it will try to redirect you to it's listing on the steam store......which doesn't exist. I'm in the U.S btw. What I don't get is if they were wanting to just sell it through Uplay why wait until the month of? This could have been dealt with much earlier.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

What's the big issue here? Most Ubisoft games require uPlay to turn on anyway.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

So people can look at their huge Steam collection and go, "oh look, mine has more now"

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jorbit
Member since 2011 • 51 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@FelipeInside said:

So people can look at their huge Steam collection and go, "oh look, mine has more now"

Honestly I don't think it's a big issue to have to play it through another service, but switching the options to buy it within their launch month is a little lame of them. It's causing a bit of confusion which could have been handled a little better if they would have started this earlier. Oh well though everyone will still end up buying it no matter how many hoops they have to jump through.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wis3boi

@FelipeInside said:

uplay is shit, people were preordering games on steam, ones that are now gone, its going to hurt ubisoft even more as a business.....whoever is running that company is off their rocker

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@Jorbit said:

@GTR12 said:

@FelipeInside said:

Honestly I don't think it's a big issue to have to play it through another service, but switching the options to buy it within their launch month is a little lame of them. It's causing a bit of confusion which could have been handled a little better if they would have started this earlier. Oh well though everyone will still end up buying it no matter how many hoops they have to jump through.

This. I'm glad someone can see beyond the window pane.

On top of that, I think people are overlooking the power of Steamworks-Ubisoft titles. When it is integrated with Steam, you have better access to a better game community of Steam friends. I doubt anyone messages each other on Uplay, let alone has a friends list on Uplay. Last time I checked, it was just a DRM (that isn't very intrusive) to most people, including me.

Ubisoft games with Steamworks DRM helped incredibly. Now, you need to add it as a non-steam game, or go the complete Uplay route hoping people will even interact with you on there. At least with Origin, the user interface is half-decent, and most of my friends are on my Origin friends list. Still, Steam integration takes the cake. Everything about Steamworks is technically better.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 uninspiredcup

Aye, it is global.

You can almost guarantee it's something to do with Ubisoft being cunts.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 horgen  Moderator

@airshocker: because Steam wants more money? Lets add that I don't think Steam has a 25% sales taxes added to the price as well and it makes even less sense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@horgen said:

@airshocker: because Steam wants more money? Lets add that I don't think Steam has a 25% sales taxes added to the price as well and it makes even less sense.

But wouldn't your sales tax apply in local stores?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@airshocker: yes hiwever it is baked into the price. Its 399 with the sales tax included. Steam does not officially operate in Norway I think and thus has no such tax to pay in Norway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@horgen said:

@airshocker: yes hiwever it is baked into the price. Its 399 with the sales tax included. Steam does not officially operate in Norway I think and thus has no such tax to pay in Norway.

So theoretically it should be cheaper to buy on Steam? I think this probably has more to do with Ubisoft than Steam.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 horgen  Moderator

@airshocker said:

@horgen said:

So theoretically it should be cheaper to buy on Steam? I think this probably has more to do with Ubisoft than Steam.

Yes it should be. I can't find anything that looks like Steam in tax registers here so I assume they are not paying sales tax to Norway. Ubisoft I can find though.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#33 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

If a game is removed on Steam, do you still get the patches/updates from the developers through Steam. Or are you stuck with build 1.00? Preordered Unity and Farcry4 on Steam, and worried that Ubisoft will decide to never patch the Steam versions.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@digitm64 said:

If a game is removed on Steam, do you still get the patches/updates from the developers through Steam. Or are you stuck with build 1.00? Preordered Unity and Farcry4 on Steam, and worried that Ubisoft will decide to never patch the Steam versions.

those games will launch through uplay, so uplay should patch them, not necessarily steam.

on topic: if assassin's creed had no uplay and had steam features (steam cloud, etc) i would have preordered it. now, i don't even want to buy it because the uplay store charges me in euros instead of USD (60 EUR instead of 60 USD).

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

It seems they are back on steam.

I-Siamak-I

Forum Posts