Transfer Hitman Absolution saved game from desktop intall to Steam install

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serroots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serroots
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
So i have Hitman Absolution saved on my PC, though not through Steam. I have been playing it for a few weeks and have got through a few missions. Now i have in putted the CD code on Steam, and downloaded the game, and i wanted to know how i transfer my progress from the desktop installation to the Steam installation.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts
I'm guessing that there's a folder somewhere that you can just copy/paste. Still, the problem would have been avoided had you not pirated the game in the first place.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

So i have Hitman Absolution saved on my PC, though not through Steam. I have been playing it for a few weeks and have got through a few missions. Now i have in putted the CD code on Steam, and downloaded the game, and i wanted to know how i transfer my progress from the desktop installation to the Steam installation.Serroots

So you have the PIRATED Version then?

Serroots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serroots
Well i was trying it out, and then i purchased it because i really liked it.
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

Well i was trying it out, and then i purchased it because i really liked it. Serroots

That's fine I guess. In any case, most games which are being released today are crappy. No one would like to spend his hard earned cash on a game, only to realize later that the game totally sucks. So its better to try a game for a couple of hours, then buy it if he likes it and intends to play further. Its illegal, but makes sense. Anyway, here's where the save games are located "C: \ Users \%username% \ AppData \ Local \ SKIDROW \ 203140 \ Storage"

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Serroots"]Well i was trying it out, and then i purchased it because i really liked it. funkyzoom

That's fine I guess. In any case, most games which are being released today are crappy. No one would like to spend his hard earned cash on a game, only to realize later that the game totally sucks. So its better to try a game for a couple of hours, then buy it if he likes it and intends to play further. Its illegal, but makes sense. Anyway, here's where the save games are located "C: \ Users \%username% \ AppData \ Local \ SKIDROW \ 203140 \ Storage"

Might be fine to try the game, but it still counts towards the pirated rate numbers unfortunately. I still don't agree, he should rely more on reviews and player critics.
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
I still don't agree, he should rely more on reviews and player critics.FelipeInside
Hahahaha, no. Game "journalists" are a joke and go check the Absolution reviews and it's all 9s and 10s, which is a joke.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I still don't agree, he should rely more on reviews and player critics.ampiva
Hahahaha, no. Game "journalists" are a joke and go check the Absolution reviews and it's all 9s and 10s, which is a joke.

I also said player reviews and critics, which is most of the time spot on. Game is a solid 8-9 anyway.
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 funkyzoom

I also said player reviews and critics, which is most of the time spot on. Game is a solid 8-9 anyway.FelipeInside

I agree. Fans of previous Hitman games won't like it, but if you appreciate it on its own merit, its a blast to play. Having played all the previous games in the series, I'm enjoying Absolution as much as the others. I too would give it a 9. Only thing, the game seems a bit too short.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funkyzoom

Might be fine to try the game, but it still counts towards the pirated rate numbers unfortunately. I still don't agree, he should rely more on reviews and player critics.FelipeInside

Reviews aren't always helpful. Even if a thousand people like it, there is no guarantee that YOU will like it. It all comes down to personal preference. For example, although Bioshock received rave reviews and everyone praised it, I personally didn't like it at all. In fact, for some reason playing the game even for a few minutes gave me a splitting headache. I'm glad I tried it for an hour before buying, because I never liked it and never bought it. I agree that even trying a game counts towards piracy, but that's better compared to losing your money over a game you can't enjoy. I often try games before buying them. The only developer whose games I buy without trying is Valve, because I know very well that all games they make will surely be terrific.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Might be fine to try the game, but it still counts towards the pirated rate numbers unfortunately. I still don't agree, he should rely more on reviews and player critics.funkyzoom

Reviews aren't always helpful. Even if a thousand people like it, there is no guarantee that YOU will like it. It all comes down to personal preference. For example, although Bioshock received rave reviews and everyone praised it, I personally didn't like it at all. In fact, for some reason playing the game even for a few minutes gave me a splitting headache. I'm glad I tried it for an hour before buying, because I never liked it and never bought it. I agree that even trying a game counts towards piracy, but that's better compared to losing your money over a game you can't enjoy. I often try games before buying them. The only developer whose games I buy without trying is Valve, because I know very well that all games they make will surely be terrific.

So I guess you download a pirated version of a movie and watch the first 10 minutes before going to the theatre? Or an illegal copy of an e-book and read first 100 pages before buying it hard copy? I understand that trying a game before buying should be a given, and demos should always be available, but sadly it's not the way it is anymore. I've been burnt before buying games (cough* Double Agent *cough), but it's the way it is unfortunately. Downloading a pirated copy just makes things worse cause it gets counted towards the number. It's a no win situation, but like I said before, demos should be forced.
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 funkyzoom

So I guess you download a pirated version of a movie and watch the first 10 minutes before going to the theatre? Or an illegal copy of an e-book and read first 100 pages before buying it hard copy? I understand that trying a game before buying should be a given, and demos should always be available, but sadly it's not the way it is anymore. I've been burnt before buying games (cough* Double Agent *cough), but it's the way it is unfortunately. Downloading a pirated copy just makes things worse cause it gets counted towards the number. It's a no win situation, but like I said before, demos should be forced.FelipeInside

See, that's not the way it works. In case of a movie, you'll be engaged for only around 2 hours, and also the price of a movie ticket is about one twentieth the price of a game (in the country where I live). So its not such a big deal if you watch a bad movie. You can just shrug it off once you come out of the cinema hall. Same thing about books. But games are altogether different. Games usually take more than 10 hours to beat, and can also go beyond 50 hours. And they're quite expensive. When you're paying so much for the game, you expect it to be fun to play, and keep you entertained for those hours.

But I completely agree with you regarding demos. Back in the 90s and even early 2000s, almost every game used to have a demo, which usually lauched before the full game. This gave people a chance to try the game without resorting to piracy. I really feel game companies should provide demos of all games, preferably before the full game release. This will cut down piracy to a large extent.

By the way, only downloaded games are counted towards piracy. But usually the person who downloads a game illegally, shares it with several friends either by burning it on DVDs or loading them on portable HDDs. These never get counted. So I guess this more or less cancels out the count of those pirating the game just to try it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside
^^ Or if they are worried about sales, at least release a demo a month after game launch.
Serroots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serroots

[QUOTE="Serroots"]Well i was trying it out, and then i purchased it because i really liked it. funkyzoom

Thanks for supporting me:) I have found the file at the location you listed, however how do i now import this to the Steam installation? (I'm sorry I'm new to PC gaming, unfortunately...)
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 funkyzoom

Thanks for supporting me:) I have found the file at the location you listed, however how do i now import this to the Steam installation? (I'm sorry I'm new to PC gaming, unfortunately...)Serroots

I found something related to your issue. Here it goes:-http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/57337-resolved-save-file-location-steam/

I've never tried it myself, and the users say it may or may not work. Just try it. If it doesn't work, continue playing the game with your 'trial' copy and complete it. Later you can use your Steam version to play the Contracts mode, which is like multiplayer. Steam games usually store their save files on the Steam cloud, so its not locally available.

Serroots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Serroots

[QUOTE="Serroots"] Thanks for supporting me:) I have found the file at the location you listed, however how do i now import this to the Steam installation? (I'm sorry I'm new to PC gaming, unfortunately...)funkyzoom

I found something related to your issue. Here it goes:-http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/57337-resolved-save-file-location-steam/

I've never tried it myself, and the users say it may or may not work. Just try it. If it doesn't work, continue playing the game with your 'trial' copy and complete it. Later you can use your Steam version to play the Contracts mode, which is like multiplayer. Steam games usually store their save files on the Steam cloud, so its not locally available.

Thank you!! Found exactly what i wanted.
snared04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#17 snared04
Member since 2009 • 455 Posts

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Might be fine to try the game, but it still counts towards the pirated rate numbers unfortunately. I still don't agree, he should rely more on reviews and player critics.FelipeInside

So I guess you download a pirated version of a movie and watch the first 10 minutes before going to the theatre? Or an illegal copy of an e-book and read first 100 pages before buying it hard copy? I understand that trying a game before buying should be a given, and demos should always be available, but sadly it's not the way it is anymore. I've been burnt before buying games (cough* Double Agent *cough), but it's the way it is unfortunately. Downloading a pirated copy just makes things worse cause it gets counted towards the number. It's a no win situation, but like I said before, demos should be forced.

You're being purposefully obtuse to the part where in the list of:

-Games

-Movies at a theater

-Books

Games are the only thing you can't get your money back for, at least on the PC. If I go to a theater, and walk out after 10 minutes of a movie, they'll refund my movie. I can go to Barnes and Noble, buy a book, bring it back the next day and get all my money back, no questions asked. Game companies and software retailers, on the other hand, are in the habit of treating every single customer like a criminal. Buy a game, and no matter what you do, once it has been opened, you're not getting anything back. Not even if it legitimately DOES NOT WORK on your computer. Sorry, if they're going to involve themselves in poor business practices, I'll do whatever it takes to protect my time and money. If they'd have better return policies and/or release demos, it might be a different situation, but I'm afraid neither of those things are happening at the moment. Sucks for them.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

Sorry, if they're going to involve themselves in poor business practices, I'll do whatever it takes to protect my time and money. If they'd have better return policies and/or release demos, it might be a different situation, but I'm afraid neither of those things are happening at the moment. Sucks for them.snared04

That's nice in principle, but can you honestly say that you've gone on to immediately buy every single pirated game that you played for more than 10 minutes?

I'm betting that the vast (vast!) majority of pirates do not.

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts
Admitting to piracy on these forums is not good. Especially if a mod sees this or somebody reports it ( not me though ) It would be nice if they released demos for games. I've been bitten by both critic and user reviews before. Where are the demos ?!!!!
snared04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 snared04

Admitting to piracy on these forums is not good. Especially if a mod sees this or somebody reports it ( not me though ) It would be nice if they released demos for games. I've been bitten by both critic and user reviews before. Where are the demos ?!!!!OgreB

Did I say I pirated anything?

snared04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 snared04

[QUOTE="snared04"]Sorry, if they're going to involve themselves in poor business practices, I'll do whatever it takes to protect my time and money. If they'd have better return policies and/or release demos, it might be a different situation, but I'm afraid neither of those things are happening at the moment. Sucks for them.Planeforger

That's nice in principle, but can you honestly say that you've gone on to immediately buy every single pirated game that you played for more than 10 minutes?

I'm betting that the vast (vast!) majority of pirates do not.

Actually I don't know that I can name a big pirating group (i.e. RELOADED, SKidROW, etc.) that doesn't say on their NFO files "pay for games and support the developers.". Yeah, you're right in assuming that some people are merely out there for free items, but at the same time I would call video game companies extremely unscrupulous in their dealings with people. Raise your hand if you're happy about DRM's for instance.

And like I said, I could go in and buy a book and bring it back for a refund -on that note I could go in, read through the first chapter without paying for anything-you can't do that with a video game. That's what demos are supposed to be for.

You can test drive a car.

You don't have to pay for a new house before you walk through it for the first time, before you get it inspected to make sure everything checks out, etc.

Almost every piece of merchandise or ownable anything in the world has some kind of demo or return policy... except video games. Even other types of computer software, like a Windows OS or Microsoft office allows you a free trial period. If video game companies have been having serious issues with pirating, then they have no one to blame but themselves. Everyone has been burned by a %@%#y game or ones that just plain don't work on their system, or require an inordinate amount of work to get working properly, etc. Video game companies and retailers don't want to deal with refunds and piracy? I think consumers don't want to deal with shoddy coding and refund policies that favor everyone but themselves. The market will, and has, found a way to balance things out.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#22 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

[QUOTE="Serroots"]Well i was trying it out, and then i purchased it because i really liked it. FelipeInside

Might be fine to try the game, but it still counts towards the pirated rate numbers unfortunately. I still don't agree, he should rely more on reviews and player critics.

i fully DISAGREE. This is something i do sometimes. because i hate how games do not have demos...there is literly a lot of gamesthat i wish to buy but i have yet to buy becuase there isn't a demo for me to try

Also if he's a legit buyer and used a pirated version for a demo i don't see how you can be mad. He had 100% the chance to be a ass but he choose to support the gaming world.

xedethros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xedethros
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Many would probably hate this comment but I'll just voice this one out. . . First not all people have the money to buy this games for example in some countries a $60 if converted would costs around 1,400 in their currency see the difference? 2nd Trying a game out first with a pirated ver. then buying the original one is totally cool and i salute those persons who does that. They still supported the game devs. And while on the other hand the 3rd reason would be "Why buy if you can get it for FREE" XD
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
[QUOTE="xedethros"] First not all people have the money to buy this games

I always get a kick out of this argument. So because someone has less money, they should just steal items that wealthier people can enjoy just to be fair? I really wish that worked for everything, I'd be driving a much nicer car right now.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="xedethros"] First not all people have the money to buy this gamesUCF_Knight
I always get a kick out of this argument. So because someone has less money, they should just steal items that wealthier people can enjoy just to be fair? I really wish that worked for everything, I'd be driving a much nicer car right now.

Seriously. I mean, come on pirates. If you're gonna try to justify it, there are better arguments than that crap. Also. necro thread.

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"][QUOTE="xedethros"] First not all people have the money to buy this games

Piracy is not stealing. Terrible argument.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
[QUOTE="xedethros"]Many would probably hate this comment but I'll just voice this one out. . . First not all people have the money to buy this games for example in some countries a $60 if converted would costs around 1,400 in their currency see the difference? 2nd Trying a game out first with a pirated ver. then buying the original one is totally cool and i salute those persons who does that. They still supported the game devs. And while on the other hand the 3rd reason would be "Why buy if you can get it for FREE" XD

Why do you feel so entitled that something should be yours if you cant afford it in the first place.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 UCF_Knight
[QUOTE="ampiva"][QUOTE="UCF_Knight"][QUOTE="xedethros"] First not all people have the money to buy this games

lmao. What do pirates call it now, borrowing? You're taking something without paying, what do you call that?
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="ampiva"][QUOTE="UCF_Knight"] I always get a kick out of this argument. So because someone has less money, they should just steal items that wealthier people can enjoy just to be fair? I really wish that worked for everything, I'd be driving a much nicer car right now.UCF_Knight

lmao. What do pirates call it now, borrowing? You're taking something without paying, what do you call that?

I get the sentiment that, since it's digital, you can get a free copy illegally, without actually "taking" a copy that belonged to someone else. The idea that you can get it, and no one else has to lose it. Still pretty weak, and there are better, more legitimate reasons for the ocassional piracy. People who just ride the "it's not stealing" bandwagon are just making asses of themselves, and not helping their "cause". 

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FaustArp
Member since 2013 • 1036 Posts

Actually I don't know that I can name a big pirating group (i.e. RELOADED, SKidROW, etc.) that doesn't say on their NFO files "pay for games and support the developers.".snared04

Yeah, because it's totally OK to shoplift so long as you have a note from another thief that says "pay for merchandise and support the stores."  :roll:

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UCF_Knight

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"][QUOTE="ampiva"] Piracy is not stealing. Terrible argument.the_bi99man

I get the sentiment that, since it's digital, you can get a free copy illegally, without actually "taking" a copy that belonged to someone else. The idea that you can get it, and no one else has to lose it. Still pretty weak, and there are better, more legitimate reasons for the ocassional piracy. People who just ride the "it's not stealing" bandwagon are just making asses of themselves, and not helping their "cause". 

Yeah I agree. There are certain situations which are reasonable, but claiming its not stealing or that its okay because you can't afford it are just idiotic. There was a thread not too long ago of someone trying to find a game that's impossible to purchase, but not really worth much. Everyone encouraged him to just find the game online somewhere, which I can agree with. But there are rarely justifiable reasons to pirate brand new games like is one.