Titan to be the biggest budget game ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jermone123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Jermone123
Member since 2006 • 803 Posts

http://www.digitalbattle.com/2010/02/20/top-10-most-expensive-video-games-budgets-ever/

Came accross this article and came to thinking what might beat Grand Theft Auto as the top budget game ever created. Titan came to mind. Think about it... How much did Blizzard make off WoW? Grand theft auto cost $100 million. Blizzard makes more than that in 1 month off WoW lol. Here comes their next gen MMO who needs to carry the torch from WoW as their cash cow. You best believe that Blizzard will NOT let this game fail. It could cost them billions of dollars...

Add to the fact that Blizzard has PLENTY of cash now due to WoW to blow on Titan. I would not be surprised at all if Titans budget goes over $150 maybe even $200 million obliterating what has been spent on a single game. Who agrees with me? Or who thinks another game will capture the number 1 spot?

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

I highly doubt it. GTA IV was a multiplatform game which requires people to code the game for multiple systems, which costs more money. GTA IV was a very graphics heavy game and RS spent a lot on the engine to make it that way. Titan is a new IP which means it isn't likely to get too much in the budget department. Also, it is way too early to speculate on this. We know almost nothing about the game. It could be a free to play MMO for all we know.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I highly doubt it. GTA IV was a multiplatform game which requires people to code the game for multiple systems, which costs more money. GTA IV was a very graphics heavy game and RS spent a lot on the engine to make it that way. Titan is a new IP which means it isn't likely to get too much in the budget department. Also, it is way too early to speculate on this. We know almost nothing about the game. It could be a free to play MMO for all we know.

arto1223

While I agree it is too early to speculate, we're starting to see WoW's popularity slide and if Blizzard wants to maintain an MMO money-making machine, I'd be shocked if there wasn't heavy development costs to ensure that be the case. It being a new IP is irrelevant. It replacing WoW means everything.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

I think if I remember correctly Granny T 5 costed a pretty penny. I'll update if I find the article again.

EDIT: wrong as hell, But Too Human now...

EDIT: Nope, not that either...

Titan seems to fall in the realm of extra-terrestrial budgets even for Hollywood.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

arto1223
Pretty sure they payed a homeless man 3 cheeseburgers to do the PC port of GTA IV.
Jermone123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jermone123
Member since 2006 • 803 Posts

No way Titan goes free to play. WoW is dwindelling. Blizzard knows this. Hence they are making a brand new MMO. Blizzard makes truck loads of money off WoW. They want those trucks to keep on coming. For that to happen they know they are going to have to make a game to carry the torch from WoW. Wow can not go on forever with the kind of success it has. As a business you don't make a game as profitable as WoW and then just shrug your sholders and say it can never be done again.

Blizzard discovered just how profitable the MMO market can be and they are in prime position to take over it again. Why wouldn't they? They are litterally in the process of making a game that can net them billions. They are not going to half @33 this game. You do not fail on a game that can net you 100's of times more than the average video game in exhistance. That is a no fail mission. They will do everything in their power for Titan not to fail.

Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts

Hopefully they release it soon, WoW looks really dated so I never bothered with it when I got into pc gaming. Also I never liked it's art style at all. It will be interesting to see what Bungie brings to the table if it's true they are making a mmorpg.

FellfromGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 FellfromGrace
Member since 2004 • 788 Posts

I doubt it

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts

Hopefully they release it soon, WoW looks really dated so I never bothered with it when I got into pc gaming. Also I never liked it's art style at all. It will be interesting to see what Bungie brings to the table if it's true they are making a mmorpg.

Meat_Wad_Fan
Knowing Blizzard, im guessing 2013 at the earliest.
Avatar image for MickaelJulliard
MickaelJulliard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 MickaelJulliard
Member since 2007 • 905 Posts

[QUOTE="arto1223"]

C_Rule

Pretty sure they payed a homeless man 3 cheeseburgers to do the PC port of GTA IV.

Probably my favourite comment in the history of everything

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

Well I've heard $500 million thrown around for how much ToR is costing EA. So unless Bliz plans to have as much voiceover as the old republic (who knows maybe there will be) then I bet it will cost less

Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts

Well I've heard $500 million thrown around for how much ToR is costing EA. So unless Bliz plans to have as much voiceover as the old republic (who knows maybe there will be) then I bet it will cost less

Evz0rz
500 Million? That is a little high I think, Its probably more so 200-300 million at the very most.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Well from the rumors it's going to be free to play,more casual than WoW, but different gameplay than any other MMO. The only thing I can think is a combinationof Second Life and Minecraft. The players create most of the gameplay through their creations (modding) and social activity. Blizzard might regularly release art assets like textures and models to help players create things, but players could create their own models and textures if they wanted to.Blizzard's take on the whole thing would have more "game" to it though. They would give a few basic goals to players. The players could then use their creativity to find their own way to get to that goal. Player creations could also be bought and sold on a real money auction house, Blizzard using Diablo 3 to test that out.

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Evz0rz
[QUOTE="Evz0rz"]

Shadowhawk000
500 Million? That is a little high I think, Its probably more so 200-300 million at the very most.

Last year it was leaked from an employee that they were already at $300 and I believe around August I was listening to the Giant Bombcast and Jeff G said an EA employee said near $500 mil
Avatar image for deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
Member since 2004 • 4403 Posts

Last year it was leaked from an employee that they were already at $300 and I believe around August I was listening to the Giant Bombcast and Jeff G said an EA employee said near $500 milEvz0rz

Oh how I would very much love to see the cost sheet on that game. Seriously man, just where in the hell is the money being spent on this project because at a fairly cursory glance this game doesn't look like it should cost that much. Heck now i'm just wondering what management must be like in there.

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Evz0rz

[QUOTE="Evz0rz"] Last year it was leaked from an employee that they were already at $300 and I believe around August I was listening to the Giant Bombcast and Jeff G said an EA employee said near $500 mildoanm

Oh how I would very much love to see the cost sheet on that game. Seriously man, just where in the hell is the money being spent on this project because at a fairly cursory glance this game doesn't look like it should cost that much. Heck now i'm just wondering what management must be like in there.

From what I've heard an insane amount of the money is going towards the dialogue
Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

Don't even care at this point. Blizzard did nothing to foster a healthy mmorpg gaming community so I really don't care what they got on their plate.

DeViLzzz
What exactly does that even mean? They created an extremely polished MMO that had content for both casual and hardcore players...that's why it's been as high as 75% of the entire MMO market. What else can they do?
CoS_Ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CoS_Ethan
Member since 2011 • 381 Posts
Maybe make WoW free, just like most of the MMOGs....
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#21 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

No way Titan goes free to play. WoW is dwindelling. Blizzard knows this. Hence they are making a brand new MMO. Jermone123

They started Titan when WoW was at some of it's highest potential and highest subscriber population.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58345 Posts

Maybe make WoW free, just like most of the MMOGs....CoS_Ethan

the reason other MMOs are free is because they are so terrible they don't attract paying customers. In other words, as far as MMOs are concerned, you get what you pay for. And if you don't pay anything, don't expect much

As for Titan, wouldnt surprise me if it was in the hundreds of millions.

But I think SW: TOR takes the crown as of right now. EA has so much riding on this game, you can tell they put a lot of time, effort, and money into it.

[QUOTE="Jermone123"]

No way Titan goes free to play. WoW is dwindelling. Blizzard knows this. Hence they are making a brand new MMO. -Unreal-

They started Titan when WoW was at some of it's highest potential and highest subscriber population.

Exactly. I forgot where I saw it, but including expansions and new games, Blizzard had projects forcasted well into 2016, and this was three years ago. Theyre not making their games in response to how things are going, they are making them according to a grand, master plan and it is working pretty damn well for them

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

the reason other MMOs are free is because they are so terrible they don't attract paying customers. In other words, as far as MMOs are concerned, you get what you pay for. And if you don't pay anything, don't expect much

As for Titan, wouldnt surprise me if it was in the hundreds of millions.

But I think SW: TOR takes the crown as of right now. EA has so much riding on this game, you can tell they put a lot of time, effort, and money into it.

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

[QUOTE="Jermone123"]

No way Titan goes free to play. WoW is dwindelling. Blizzard knows this. Hence they are making a brand new MMO. mrbojangles25

Exactly. I forgot where I saw it, but including expansions and new games, Blizzard had projects forcasted well into 2016, and this was three years ago. Theyre not making their games in response to how things are going, they are making them according to a grand, master plan and it is working pretty damn well for them

Master plan is damn straight. That's how Blizzard does and you can expect awesome releases. I think they're the most consistent developer on the planet. And they release their games polished to the brim. It's not done, until it's done.

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

Titan being the biggest game ever? Nobody knows what the game is about, plays like, looks like. Nothing! It could appeal to a niche market or it might be accessible to pretty much everyone. Until there are more details no one can make any judgement on success.