Those who think Piracy is not Holding PC sales Down are Delusional

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="KisukexD"]

ur totally wrong may..

Enosh88

well then good that you specified where I am wrong and why and didn't just say "you are wrong"

oh wait...

let me clarify why you're wrong. your entire post is 0 fact and 100% "just an edducated gues depending on my expieriance"

You spoke as if you had personal experiences growing up in both "First world" and "second world" countries.

"Piracy is the biggest in poor countrys that are just starting to use the PCs as a form of entertaiment (2nd world countrys) in asia, parts of eastern europe, parts of south america and parts of africa....beacose they can't get it in their country and shipping prices to such countrys are normaly preaty high. That was the case in my country in the 80s,"

and

"Another thing is pirates in 1st world countrys, they can have the acces to the games, but in a lot of casses the money is missing....with your parents earning minumum wage (thrust me, I know),"

Also, i will not "Thrust" you:P

Educated guesses require people who are educated. spelling everything in your post wrong isn't the best way to show you're educated. It kinda removes anyone from having to think out your "edducated gues" and provide a reasonable counter-argument.(just so you know next time)

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

Guys, you CAN'T condone piracy in any form, and you definitely cannot say that you pirate games yourself.

These debates need to stick to whether or not Piracy is affecting the industry or not, and stay away from whether or not not it is moral to pirate, becuase on these forums at least, it's completely immoral, no matter what your situation is.

I've had to moderate a number of people in this topic, and I don't want to have to hand out any more moderations.

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

Also, fatshodan, you're saying that most developers that complain about piracy don't deserve strong sales, so by this logic, if the game sucks it's alright to pirate it. That's wrong, even if the game is bad, that still doesn't make it right to pirate the game. The PC has the largest userbase, yet console games sell millions upon millions, why is that? Is it because all PC games suck? No, it is because people download games for free.col_hannibal

Uh... no. I'm saying that most developers that complain about piracy make bad games which sell poorly because they're bad games, then the developers use the piracy argument to protect their precious little ego because they refuse to accept that their game is ass.

There are exceptions, of course, but many of the developers who are the most outspoken about piracy are the ones who don't actually deserve strong sales in the first place because their games are mediocre.

I'm not saying piracy isn't an issue (if you care to read my post again...), and I'm strongly opposed to piracy of all forms... but that's not what my post was about.

MarioJP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 MarioJP_
Member since 2008 • 319 Posts

simple rule if u like the game buy it. no excuses no exceptions. Just buy it if you wish to see more support for these gaming companies in the future i would suggest that you buy pc games.

Its just sad that piracy on pc games is not a big dea??:| That right there just gave them the power to say ok will stop making pc games.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="col_hannibal"]

Also, fatshodan, you're saying that most developers that complain about piracy don't deserve strong sales, so by this logic, if the game sucks it's alright to pirate it. That's wrong, even if the game is bad, that still doesn't make it right to pirate the game. The PC has the largest userbase, yet console games sell millions upon millions, why is that? Is it because all PC games suck? No, it is because people download games for free.fatshodan

Uh... no. I'm saying that most developers that complain about piracy make bad games which sell poorly because they're bad games, then the developers use the piracy argument to protect their precious little ego because they refuse to accept that their game is ass.

There are exceptions, of course, but many of the developers who are the most outspoken about piracy are the ones who don't actually deserve strong sales in the first place.

Agreed.
MarioJP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 MarioJP_
[QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="col_hannibal"]

Also, fatshodan, you're saying that most developers that complain about piracy don't deserve strong sales, so by this logic, if the game sucks it's alright to pirate it. That's wrong, even if the game is bad, that still doesn't make it right to pirate the game. The PC has the largest userbase, yet console games sell millions upon millions, why is that? Is it because all PC games suck? No, it is because people download games for free.Nibroc420

There are exceptions, of course, but many of the developers who are the most outspoken about piracy are the ones who don't actually deserve strong sales in the first place.

Even if they don't desrve the sales thats jusst still wrong though that is just so messed up and this is the reason why consoles are their prefered choice as you can't really pirate. And low numbers of console piracy does not count either.

what ever happen to just not buying it and thats it. If you pirate and finish the game that mean that you really liked the game but did not pay them their hardwork. and that to me is just wrong.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="col_hannibal"]

Also, fatshodan, you're saying that most developers that complain about piracy don't deserve strong sales, so by this logic, if the game sucks it's alright to pirate it. That's wrong, even if the game is bad, that still doesn't make it right to pirate the game. The PC has the largest userbase, yet console games sell millions upon millions, why is that? Is it because all PC games suck? No, it is because people download games for free.MarioJP_

Even if they don't desrve the sales thats jusst still wrong though that is just so messed up and this is the reason why consoles are their prefered choice as you can't really pirate. And low numbers of console piracy does not count either.

whats wrong with saying that if a Developer makes a bad game that doesn't sell well, that they dont get to blame it on piracy, rather than admitting the fact that it was a terrible game.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#58 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

Guys, you CAN'T condone piracy in any form, and you definitely cannot say that you pirate games yourself.

These debates need to stick to whether or not Piracy is affecting the industry or not, and stay away from whether or not not it is moral to pirate, becuase on these forums at least, it's completely immoral, no matter what your situation is.

I've had to moderate a number of people in this topic, and I don't want to have to hand out any more moderations.

G013M

Golem, I'm just curious, but why can't you say you've pirated a game yourself? The "no condoning piracy" is obvious, but condoning and doing something in the past are 2 different things completely. I really doubt people read a forum post and go "Hey, this guy did it, I guess I'll go do it too".

MarioJP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MarioJP_
[QUOTE="MarioJP_"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="col_hannibal"]

Also, fatshodan, you're saying that most developers that complain about piracy don't deserve strong sales, so by this logic, if the game sucks it's alright to pirate it. That's wrong, even if the game is bad, that still doesn't make it right to pirate the game. The PC has the largest userbase, yet console games sell millions upon millions, why is that? Is it because all PC games suck? No, it is because people download games for free.Nibroc420

whats wrong with saying that if a Developer makes a bad game that doesn't sell well, that they dont get to blame it on piracy, rather than admitting the fact that it was a terrible game.

But i am also saying that if you pirate this "terrible" game and you beat it then where does this go ?? is it still terrible and don't desrve every penny's worth of your beating that game for free? That is the part i am having trouble accepting

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 G013M

Golem, I'm just curious, but why can't you say you've pirated a game yourself. The "no condoning piracy" is obvious, but condoning and doing something in the past are 2 different things completely. I really doubt people read a forum post and go "Hey, this guy did it, I guess I'll go do it right now!".

GodLovesDead

Becuase it's against the TOU that you agreed to when you signed up. It's under illegal activities.

And besides, by admitting that you pirate games, you're effectively condoning pirating yourself, which leads back to what I said about you can't condone pirating.

BLBLAKERS10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#61 BLBLAKERS10
Member since 2007 • 1280 Posts
Ive never downloaded a game illegally.. 1+ for me..
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="MarioJP_"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="col_hannibal"]

Also, fatshodan, you're saying that most developers that complain about piracy don't deserve strong sales, so by this logic, if the game sucks it's alright to pirate it. That's wrong, even if the game is bad, that still doesn't make it right to pirate the game. The PC has the largest userbase, yet console games sell millions upon millions, why is that? Is it because all PC games suck? No, it is because people download games for free.MarioJP_

But i am also saying that if you pirate this "terrible" game and you beat it then where does this go ?? is it still terrible and don't desrve every penny's worth of your beating that game for free? That is the part i am having trouble accepting

Oh, i don't think thats right. But i don't think it's right that companies can scream piracy when a game gets terrible sales because it was a terrible game. It makes the deal with Piracy seem far stronger than it is... and if some big company like EA was to lose money and scream piracy(even if it was just a bad game, bad reviews and such).. i'm sure that it would scare off the smaller companies as well. If a big company like EA can't make money than some no-name company won't have a chance and will switch to console game dev.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]

Golem, I'm just curious, but why can't you say you've pirated a game yourself. The "no condoning piracy" is obvious, but condoning and doing something in the past are 2 different things completely. I really doubt people read a forum post and go "Hey, this guy did it, I guess I'll go do it right now!".

G013M

Becuase it's against the TOU that you agreed to when you signed up. It's under illegal activities.

And besides, by admitting that you pirate games, you're effectively condoning pirating yourself, which leads back to what I said about you can't condone pirating.

what about saying that "At one time I did condone piracy, and i pirated games left and right.. However i've realised that was wrong and have never downloaded a game since" Or something along those lines..

(i do not condone piracy, never have, the writing in italics is purely for examples only)

EDIT: put writing in quote by accident. sorry for the double post.
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 G013M
[QUOTE="G013M"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]

Nibroc420

what about saying that "At one time I did condone piracy, and i pirated games left and right.. However i've realised that was wrong and have never downloaded a game since" Or something along those lines..

(i do not condone piracy, never have, the writing in italics is purely for examples only)

Well this is just me (and another moderator might be different here), but I'd most likely either not moderate that, or moderate it leniently depending the rest of the post, and the poster's history.

It really depends on the situation, so I couldn't give you a definitive yes or no.

MarioJP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MarioJP_
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]

G013M

I know its a shame that people like that are runing it for the rest of us. The fact is that it takes security to force people to buy otherwise consoles wouldnt be any diffrent to pc piracy as well and there excuse is "its a terrible game"

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="G013M"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]

G013M

Well this is just me (and another moderator might be different here), but I'd most likely either not moderate that, or moderate it leniently depending the rest of the post, and the poster's history.

It really depends on the situation, so I couldn't give you a definitive yes or no.

mmmkay.
MarioJP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MarioJP_
I want to know is why does it takes security to force people to buy?? it shouldnt have to go this way but apparently is what keeping console sales skyrocketing through the roof.
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#68 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Consoles have their fair share of piracy. 20 million copies Grand Theft Auto 4 have been sold worldwide. How many millions have been pirated that could have turned into a sale?

Pirating definitely hurt the publishers who put their games on the PC and not getting more revenue they should because of illegally downloading. Crytek claimed Crysis have been torrented 15 million times. If 30% of those people who illegally downloaded had no choice to buy the game. That would be 4.5 million increase in sales or $115 million in income.

MarioJP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MarioJP_

Consoles have their fair share of piracy. 20 million copies Grand Theft Auto 4 have been sold worldwide. How many millions have been pirated that could have turned into a sale?

Pirating definitely hurt the publishers who put their games on the PC and not getting more revenue they should because of illegally downloading. Crytek claimed Crysis have been torrented 15 million times. If 30% of those people who illegally downloaded had no choice to buy the game. That would be 4.5 million increase in sales or $115 million in income.

Jd1680a

Oh really? Let me just rub my eyes and make sure i am reading this correctly. Please show me some hard facts because i have yet to hear consoles games being pirated. Especically the PS3 as it stands has 0 piracy. The 360 maybe a few here and there. But still thats just a few. But the PS3 wins the 0 piracy challenge

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Nibroc420

Jd1680a

Wrong, studies show at least 50% people who pirate games wouldn't accually buy the game if they couldn't pirate it.

Besides, that's probably an overbloated number used to feed the fight against piracy and so that Crytek doesn't admit that there's a fault to their game. Not everyone has a computer stong enough to handle it.
MarioJP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 MarioJP_
[QUOTE="Jd1680a"]

Nibroc420

Wrong, studies show at least 50% people who pirate games wouldn't accually buy the game if they couldn't pirate it.

Besides, that's probably an overbloated number used to feed the fight against piracy and so that Crytek doesn't admit that there's a fault to their game. Not everyone has a computer stong enough to handle it.

Its funny how you don't hear so much negative things about console games most likely you hear this $$$$ doesn't matter if it sucks or not it just sells. Because you are FORCED to buy the game. No average joe will dare to crack their ps3's or 360's lol Nintendo wii is the prime example how badly that console was pirated. It all comes down to why buy if its free. nuff said

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Jd1680a"]

MarioJP_

Oh really? Let me just rub my eyes and make sure i am reading this correctly. Please show me some hard facts because i have yet to hear consoles games being pirated. Especically the PS3 as it stands has 0 piracy. The 360 maybe a few here and there. But still thats just a few. But the PS3 wins the 0 piracy challenge

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/27482/PS3-piracy-begins

Not to mention the ability to dump games onto the HDD to play later. Have fun renting/borrowing games
MarioJP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 MarioJP_
2007 lol. You know how easily that can be fixed. Sony will spot that and that be that lol. Why isnt it spreading huh??. It is well under controlled.
MarioJP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 MarioJP_
yea currently now with their new revision of the wii's because it was getting bad before
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#76 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Pirating is severely hurting PC gaming. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts
[QUOTE="Nikalai_88"]

-Piracy is big in 3rd world countries: There was an article/rant from a developer at Iron Lore (sp?) where he stated piracy numbers were at about 80% in North America, 90% in Europe and off the charts in Asia. Even then people in those countries still buy consumer electronics, cars the computers necessary to play those games.

Royas

Unfortunately, he destroyed all crediblity he might have had by giving an 80% piracy rate figure for North America. I really have a hard time swallowing that one. Out of the several dozen gamers I know personally in my area, I think one downloads games. And he only does it to see if the game plays well, if he doesn't like it, he deletes it. If he likes it, he buys a retail copy. If the figure of 80% was accurate, I'd expect a couple more than that to be regular, hardcore pirates.

Well most people I know pirate PC games. See your pointless arguments can work both ways, come up with something better.

MarioJP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 MarioJP_
[QUOTE="Royas"][QUOTE="Nikalai_88"]

-Piracy is big in 3rd world countries: There was an article/rant from a developer at Iron Lore (sp?) where he stated piracy numbers were at about 80% in North America, 90% in Europe and off the charts in Asia. Even then people in those countries still buy consumer electronics, cars the computers necessary to play those games.

Nikalai_88

Unfortunately, he destroyed all crediblity he might have had by giving an 80% piracy rate figure for North America. I really have a hard time swallowing that one. Out of the several dozen gamers I know personally in my area, I think one downloads games. And he only does it to see if the game plays well, if he doesn't like it, he deletes it. If he likes it, he buys a retail copy. If the figure of 80% was accurate, I'd expect a couple more than that to be regular, hardcore pirates.

Well most people I know pirate PC games. See your pointless arguments can work both ways, come up with something better.

A friend of mines pirates pc games up the ass because he says its just too easy. Do have to admit at least some pirates admit their actions.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I agree with the OP on this in a big way.

Drives me crazy when PC gamers try to act like it's not a problem...guess it makes them feel better about what they are doing.

I try to buy as many pc games as I can...I support the devs because I want them to support us. Know what I mean?

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 G013M

Sorry guys, but I'm going to have to close this.

It's heading down the piracy route again, so I'm going to end it now.