Thinking of getting an SSD, not sure what my options are for 2 hard drives

This topic is locked from further discussion.

saruman354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 saruman354
Member since 2004 • 10776 Posts

Since the prices of SSDs have come down so much recently, I've been contemplating buying one. Pretty much the only things I'd be running off it are Windows and maybe SWTOR or a couple other programs I use frequently, so I would get something like a 64 GB.

The thing is, I don't know what the options for having two hard drives would be. I hear about RAID all the time, but I don't exactly know what the benefits of it are. I always just assumed that I could just pick and choose which drive to store stuff on.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Just get an SSD, install Windows and the few games you want. Have the hard drive store everything else. I don't know where a RAID set up came from.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I always just assumed that I could just pick and choose which drive to store stuff on.

saruman354

... And your assumption is correct. Thats exactly how it works.

RAID is for something rather different.

duderino_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 duderino_23
Member since 2008 • 337 Posts

I'd spring for a 120gb ssd, you would be surprised how much you burn through the space, and as you said the prices are very competive now

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

I'd spring for a 120gb ssd, you would be surprised how much you burn through the space, and as you said the prices are very competive now

duderino_23
This. Assume you will need more space than you think you'll need, even after you've accounted for that assumption. RAID takes two or more drives and configures them into a single partition/virtual drive, in various ways. It has benefits and drawbacks, and whether you need one depends on what you want to get out of your computer.