Thinking about getting a SSD

This topic is locked from further discussion.

davi21a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 davi21a
Member since 2010 • 559 Posts
I have been thinking about getting a SSD for my pc as an upgrade. Never had one before, so I don't really know where to start, other than newegg of course lol. I'm currently using a cheap 500g HDD. I heard SSD can make boot times faster and even better performance throughout. What do you guys think? Can I reformat everything, use the ssd as a boot into windows and still use my HDD to keep data?
duderino_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 duderino_23
Member since 2008 • 337 Posts

SSD is like going from a dvd to a bluray, everything is much snappier and more responsive, boot times are much much better.  If you have the money (and the prices are very competetive now ) I would strongly urge you to pick one up

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

SSD is like going from a dvd to a bluray, everything is much snappier and more responsive, boot times are much much better.  If you have the money (and the prices are very competetive now ) I would strongly urge you to pick one up

duderino_23
it's way more than that i went from 2x500gb drives in raid 0 to a ssd, and the ssd is just so much quicker mechanical drives are way slower for OS use. I went back to a computer with a mechanical drive and forgot how slow everything was... waiting for programs like word to open doesn't happen w/ ssds
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

I have been thinking about getting a SSD for my pc as an upgrade. Never had one before, so I don't really know where to start, other than newegg of course lol. I'm currently using a cheap 500g HDD. I heard SSD can make boot times faster and even better performance throughout. What do you guys think? Can I reformat everything, use the ssd as a boot into windows and still use my HDD to keep data?davi21a

Solid State Drives have no moving parts (they work like flash memory) so boot-up and start-up times are drastically faster, as is browing on the net.  I run a 120GB SSD for the OS and a few programs.  Games are sitting on a 2TB SATA-3 7200rpm HDD.  Everything works flawlessly that way.

colorkub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 colorkub
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
it's way more than that i went from 2x500gb drives in raid 0 to a ssd, and the ssd is just so much quicker
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
I was thinking about getting an SSD. Any recommended brands and sizes?
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I was thinking about getting an SSD. Any recommended brands and sizes?NEWMAHAY

Samsung 840 pro <---- Best you can get ATM.

256 GB <---- Min size you should get for best read and write speeds.

$240, Less then $1 a GB.

Well worth it.

If you don't care about SSD life span and want to spend less ($183). Then grab a SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]I was thinking about getting an SSD. Any recommended brands and sizes?Truth_Hurts_U

Samsung 840 pro <---- Best you can get ATM.

256 GB <---- Min size you should get for best read and write speeds.

$240, Less then $1 a GB.

Well worth it.

If you don't care about SSD life span and want to spend less ($183). Then grab a SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB.

It's even on sale at amazon for $228.99 http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7PD256BW/dp/B009NB8WRU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1377358751&sr=8-9&keywords=samsung+solid+state+drive
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I would say "make sure yo net a newer gen ssd, or you will shoot yourself in the foot.

WIth that said, someone mentioned the samsung 840, which IS pretty much one of the best you can get, entirely built inhouse, so no problems with different parts manufactors.

Really good software, that helps with setting the ssd up correctly, and good tools overall.

It seems incredibly sturdy aswell, so a samsung 840 (prefferibly the pro models) are one of the better options out there :) they are not deadly expensive either.

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

I went with a Samsung 840 PRO from a standard hard drive 7200 RPM and the performance difference is extremely noticeable.  For daily tasks the best performance upgrade you can make is an SSD in most cases.  

I would say make sure you get at least 128 gb but would recommend more.  I got a 256 gb and you do use up the space pretty quickly. 

The only downside is there isn't any great advantage for gaming (in a lot of cases) but overall still a great upgrade.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

they're pretty nifty

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

z77 board or newer + ssd + win8 = I'd imagine the boot times to be light speed.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Yes you can use your SSD for OS and HDD for apps if you direct your apps to your 2nd drive.

I think it's worth it if you want faster boot times. Also no need to defrag it.

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
intel 530 or samsung pro
RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts
In response to the recommendations the Samsung 840 is inferior to the Vertex 4 Max IOPS. The IOPS on the Vertex 4 is actually 20 percent faster than the Samsung. IOPS is very important as is read speed. Now the write speed on the Vertex 4 is decent but the increased IOPS out wieghs the performance loss in write speeds. The Revo Drive is actually the fastest on the market with an IOPS of 220 thousand. Its the top of the line Revo Drive as there are multiple models. If you can you should wait for the Vertex 5 in my opinion. Im not sure if its out yet. The smaller the Hard Drive when using raid mode is better since there is less area to scan when accessing files which would result in faster read speeds.