The Witcher 2 visuals not *that* great.

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Just started playing it today after hearing so much about it's graphics and I have to say i'm slightly disappointed. They're good and the game has some cool lighting effects in it but apart from that, i'd say its on par with most other recently released titles like Dragon Age 2.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 0

#2 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Definatly gotta disagree, the game is beautiful as hell for a dx9 game. One of the top 3 best looking games atm

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

i'd say its on par with most other recently released titles like Dragon Age 2.

Starshine_M2A2

I'm sorry, but no.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Just started playing it today after hearing so much about it's graphics and I have to say i'm slightly disappointed. They're good and the game has some cool lighting effects in it but apart from that, i'd say its on par with most other recently released titles like Dragon Age 2.

Starshine_M2A2

You really need to get those eyes checked..

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
Never played DA2 but I personally think the visuals of TW2 is on par with Crysis IMO. The environment is realistic and even on low it's better looking than any of the games that has been recently released.
Zyamaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zyamaman
Member since 2006 • 1783 Posts

i'd say its on par with most other recently released titles like Dragon Age 2.

Starshine_M2A2

If you're seriously comparing those two games in terms of graphics, there's either something wrong with your machine, or you need to consult with an Optometrist ASAP...

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11805 Posts

We need to find a cure for this poor man.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Starshine_M2A2

If you're seriously comparing those two games in terms of graphics, there's either something wrong with your machine, or you need to consult with an Optometrist ASAP...

Sorry, I know this game is popular but that's the way I see it. The only thing that gives W2 the edge is its lighting.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lawlessx

Sorry, I know this game is popular but that's the way I see it. The only thing that gives W2 the edge is its lighting.

Starshine_M2A2
popularity has nothing to do with what you said. TW2 looks miles better in visuals and in art style.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Starshine_M2A2

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

lawlessx

popularity has nothing to do with what you said. TW2 looks miles better in visuals and in art style.

Well, if someone told me Mars was better than Snickers i'd be disagreeing because I preferSnickers :) Doesn't change the fact that they're pretty much the same.

Avatar image for rpgs_shall_rule
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 rpgs_shall_rule
Member since 2006 • 1943 Posts

[QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

Starshine_M2A2

Well, if someone told me Mars was better than Snickers i'd be disagreeing because I prefer Mars :) Doesn't change the fact that they're pretty much the same.

Have you looked at the textures of both games?

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

Can i ask what exactly the point of this thread is? Seems either the TC is ranting, is trying to start some battle on what he feels to what other feel, or should have just made a blog on this.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

atleast he made me laugh

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Starshine_M2A2

Well, if someone told me Mars was better than Snickers i'd be disagreeing because I preferSnickers :) Doesn't change the fact that they're pretty much the same.

Fair enough but you aren't saying which one you prefer you are saying they look the same when they clearly don't no matter who's eyes you are looking at them with, that the equivelent to saying Mars and Snickers both have the same amount of nuts in :P.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Someone post some comparasion pics and end this thread.

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

Dragon Age 2
Witcher 2

Now go get them eyes checked.

middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 middle-earth88
Member since 2006 • 1262 Posts

The Witcher 2 looks great for a DX 9 game. It rivals DX 11 games easily.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I thought Skyward would already be in here for a chance to bash the Witcher 2.

Anyways, Dragon Age 2 does NOT look better then the Witcher 2. Even the art direction is better overall for the Witcher 2, I don't know what the hell Bioware was thinking when they remade the Darkspawn.

Use the Dragon Age 2 shot above for reference so I don't have to download the demo to get reference shots.

Zyamaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zyamaman
Member since 2006 • 1783 Posts

Starshine_M2A2

No, no, I'm sorry - you are objectively, factually wrong.

And there's no "opinions" here, this isn't a matter of opinion - you are, of course, entitled to an opinion in regards of competing candy bar, or soda brands, but you absolutely cannot say that, for example, a Bugatti Veyron isn't faster than your Toyota Corolla, because unlike taste, speed is a quantifiable quality, it can be measured and compared.

So you may like the art style in DAII better, but TWII has an objectively superior graphical engine, which outperforms DA's counterpart by miles, and if you can't see this with your own eyes, there's either something wrong with your machine, or with your eyes...

P.S.

In what universe will there be someone who will honestly tell you that Mars is better than Snickers?!

Mars is just... a Snickers without the nuts... The only people who would ever choose a Mars over Snickers are the people who were forced to do so, because they have an allergy to nuts!

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
TC, I think you just prefer DA2's art style. That's my guess anyways. The Witcher 2 is extremely detailed. What it lacks in graphics fidelity (which is little of), it makes up for in many ways such as a very detailed, immersive, and truly stunning-vibrant world. I fail to see how the graphics doesn't look that great. It's a very-good looking game on max settings.
LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LUMIN4RY
Member since 2011 • 416 Posts

The Witcher 2 looks great but it all depends on what kind of machine you're running it on. The screenshots above look great.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
i'd say its on par with most other recently released titles like Dragon Age 2.Starshine_M2A2
I disagree, and I bought both games. BioWare has never utilized GPU-specific graphics, whereas CDPR cracked open the Nvidia Tech Manuals, and coded GPU command set instructions into both TW1 and TW2's executables. You don't just "buy" the TWIMTBP Logo - you have to write GPU code into the game to get the rights to display that logo. I will give BioWare credit for programming in-engine cinematics, though.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
I need to run it on medium to get a decent frame rate but even then The Witcher 2 looks miles better than Dragon Age 2.
LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LUMIN4RY
Member since 2011 • 416 Posts

when I look at those screenies above the comparison of DA and the Witcher 2 is like comparing LOTRO with Age of Conan. I think The Witcher looks a lot like Age of Conan.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Starshine_M2A2

Dragon Age and DA 2 are some of the ugliest, blandest looking games I've ever seen. People bought the first one because sites like Gamespot hyped it for almost 18 months on their front page, then they had to justify the purchase by pretending the game was better than it actually is.

Is Witcher 2 beautiful? No - but it's miles ahead of DA, in every department.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

LulZ

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

DA2 on DX11 hardware does everything better except textures. The Witcher 2 has incredible textures.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
Use the Dragon Age 2 shot above for reference so I don't have to download the demo to get reference shotsWhiteblade999
Umm...how can you bash DA2 if you don't own the full game? The demo doesn't count, too much was locked out, including DX 11.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#29 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I like the little details of the first Witcher better. Things like the windmill or the old woman's house. It built a stronger atmosphere for me :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6243ee9902175

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"] Use the Dragon Age 2 shot above for reference so I don't have to download the demo to get reference shotstopsemag55
Umm...how can you bash DA2 if you don't own the full game? The demo doesn't count, too much was locked out, including DX 11.

Because a demo is supposed to be a representation of the final product?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Elann2008
I like the little details of the first Witcher better. Things like the windmill or the old woman's house. It built a stronger atmosphere for me :( biggest_loser
I highly agree with this. TW1 definitely takes my vote for atmosphere and immersion. I loved the settings and locations in TW1. They really felt more like The Witcher. I hope TW3 is more like TW1 in that regard.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Elann2008

[QUOTE="topsemag55"][QUOTE="Whiteblade999"] Use the Dragon Age 2 shot above for reference so I don't have to download the demo to get reference shotsWhiteblade999

No it isn't. It only gives you a small dosage of the final product. And some demos are from old builds of the game. On top of that, the demo was like the worst level of the entire game. (:

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#33 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I think the game looks incredible, the texture details on the characters, the character faces. The god rays streaming through the tall trees in the flotsam woods. The mist settling on the Forrest floor at night. I think the combat animations are quite good as are the effects. If you ask me the in engine rendered cinematics are better than pre-rendered cinematic in many other games (fear 3 for example). No small feat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6243ee9902175

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

[QUOTE="topsemag55"] Umm...how can you bash DA2 if you don't own the full game? The demo doesn't count, too much was locked out, including DX 11.Elann2008

No it isn't. It only gives you a small dosage of the final product. And some demos are from old builds of the game. On top of that, the demo was like the worst level of the entire game. (:

A demo is supposed to show you how the game plays and give you a good reason to buy it. If Bioware put out a bad demo then that sucks for them but there is nothing wrong with judging a game based on the demo. I can name a good dozen demos that really turned me onto a purchase and rerepsented the final game perfectly. Why should I think differently for 1 game out of a dozen?

Regardless the thread focuses on graphical comparisons which are irelavent to the game being crap or the best thing since sliced bread.

Edit: If you want to debate what a demo is with me then lets keep this to PM so the thread doesn't get derailed.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

[QUOTE="lawlessx"] popularity has nothing to do with what you said. TW2 looks miles better in visuals and in art style.Zyamaman

No, no, I'm sorry - you are objectively, factually wrong.

And there's no "opinions" here, this isn't a matter of opinion - you are, of course, entitled to an opinion in regards of competing candy bar, or soda brands, but you absolutely cannot say that, for example, a Bugatti Veyron isn't faster than your Toyota Corolla, because unlike taste, speed is a quantifiable quality, it can be measured and compared.

So you may like the art ****in DAII better, but TWII has an objectively superior graphical engine, which outperforms DA's counterpart by miles, and if you can't see this with your own eyes, there's either something wrong with your machine, or with your eyes...

P.S.

In what universe will there be someone who will honestly tell you that Mars is better than Snickers?!

Mars is just... a Snickers without the nuts... The only people who would ever choose a Mars over Snickers are the people who were forced to do so, because they have an allergy to nuts!

THIS THIS THIS RIGHT FREAKING HERE!!!

How come the mods didnt locked this thread after the above post?!?!

Is there anything to add...?NO...ofc it isnt!!!

The TC either have no clue about what his talking about either he's trolling!!!

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Starshine_M2A2

The TC either have no clue about what his talking about either he's trolling!!!

rhazzy

I think they should redefine the word 'troll' to;

'He who disagrees with the masses'.

Although, I do enjoy criticising popular games. It stirs things up and gets a debate going.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lawlessx

[QUOTE="topsemag55"][QUOTE="Whiteblade999"] Use the Dragon Age 2 shot above for reference so I don't have to download the demo to get reference shotsWhiteblade999

Since when? :?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

Whiteblade999

A demo is supposed to show you how the game plays and give you a good reason to buy it. If Bioware put out a bad demo then that sucks for them but there is nothing wrong with judging a game based on the demo. I can name a good dozen demos that really turned me onto a purchase and rerepsented the final game perfectly. Why should I think differently for 1 game out of a dozen?

Regardless the thread focuses on graphical comparisons which are irelavent to the game being crap or the best thing since sliced bread.

Edit: If you want to debate what a demo is with me then lets keep this to PM so the thread doesn't get derailed.

There's even a warning right before the demo begins that says this demo isn't a full representation of the game. If I made all my buying decisions based on every demo I've ever played, I would have missed out on good to great games.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Considering the TC didnt even bother posting his specs, he probably has a garbage rig.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6243ee9902175

There's even a warning right before the demo begins that says this demo isn't a full representation of the game. If I made all my buying decisions based on every demo I've ever played, I would have missed out on good to great games.

Elann2008

I'll take a demo over the same PR campaign you get for every game where it is claimed to be the best ever. When a game releases it gets a bunch of reviews based on hype which makes it hard to find accurate reviews. So the best way to get a representation of the game is to play a demo.

The only other good way to get an idea of a game is to watch Let's Plays which is sort of a demo in itself because it is unbiased gameplay. Hell watching someone play the Human Revolution 'demo/beta' convinced me to buy the game because it is an honest representation of the game which looks amazing.

The warning is so they can say 'it's just the demo, the full game will be better!' This happened with Bioshock, Aliens Vs. Predator (newest one), Clive Barker's Jericho and so many other games. People ran out to buy the full games for these and the full games were as crappy as the demos. If they don't want people judging the final product off of a demo then they shouldn't be releasing one period.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Dragon Age 2 isn't even impressive...

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

Dragon Age 2 isn't even impressive...

mitu123
Bunch of recycled enviroments throughout the whole game, and it ain't even THAT big.
Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

I think The Witcher 2's visuals were far more impressive.

The forest part alone made my jaw drop several times.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
That Iorveth one of yours is beautiful.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Starshine_M2A2

Considering the TC didnt even bother posting his specs, he probably has a garbage rig.Fizzman

I have an Alienware M17x that runs the game maxed out and could probably power the entire US Navy but thank you for your misguided assumption. You know who assumption's son is, right?

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
The Witcher 2's graphics blow anything away in RPG department that is not modded.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

[QUOTE="rhazzy"]The TC either have no clue about what his talking about either he's trolling!!!

Starshine_M2A2

I think they should redefine the word 'troll' to;

'He who disagrees with the masses'.

Although, I do enjoy criticising popular games. It stirs things up and gets a debate going.

There isn't **** to debate here. The Witcher 2 in terms of a technical standpoint is far above DA2, that's a fact. There is no way for you dispute it, I'm sorry. You can say you like the art style better, but that is it.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Starshine_M2A2

There isn't **** to debate here. The Witcher 2 in terms of a technical standpoint is far above DA2, that's a fact. There is no way for you dispute it, I'm sorry. You can say you like the art style better, but that is it.

millerlight89

Well, the very fact that I am arguing against you suggests that a debate is happening right now.

Also, stop swearing, please, there's no need for it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Starshine_M2A2

Yea, I agree with the OP. The Witcher 2 looks great, but I agree, the graphics aren't that great. A lot of people claim that The Witcher 2 beats Crysis graphically, and I would have a very difficult time coming to that same conclusion.

Hell, I was just playing Stalker: COP with Complete, and it smothers The Witcher 2 :P

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Starshine_M2A2

Yea, I agree with the OP. The Witcher 2 looks great, but I agree, the graphics aren't that great. A lot of people claim that The Witcher 2 beats Crysis graphically, and I would have a very difficult time coming to that same conclusion.

Hell, I was just playing Stalker: COP with Complete, and it smothers The Witcher 2 :P

KHAndAnime

*high five*