The Elder Scrolls Online is shit...

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@NeoGen85 said:

I guess it's all about expectations and preference of playing style. I've enjoyed The Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall and loved MMORPGs since Asheron's Call. I LOVE THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE!

I can't convince Skyrim or TES fans that this is what they want to play and I won't try to convince traditional fans of MMORPGs that this is the ideal game for them. You can only let something like this speak for itself. The problem is the pedigree of this franchise and the success that was TESV.

I honestly don't think this game is going to go free to play anytime soon. Why do I think this?

1) The Imperial Edition out sold the standard edition during the pre-purchase of the game. And that was after the upset on the web over the Imperial class, and other benefits of the Explorer's Packs.

2) There are going to be a ton of people who will reach level 50, but there's just too much in ESO to say it ends there. Between crafting, the character development, 50+/++ content, achievements, PvP, and so much more I don't see your average MMORPG player finding nothing to do. And considering how most people are casual gamers, there is no way they'll be breezing through this !@(*&^.

3) As much as there are people who dislike ESO, there are tons who enjoy playing it. Even during the early access, some of the PvP campaigns are consistently full! That means Cyrodiil(per campaign) has 6000+(2000 per faction) acting a fool and having fun! So what's going to happen when the game has it's open release on Friday. ;)

The only thing that will seal or break the deal is Zenimax being able to create content consistently while getting it out to us ASAP. I've played a lot of MMORPGs at launch and ESO has SO much potential to be greater than it is now.

Agree 100% with this post especially the part about getting out new content....that will be key.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

I'd rather they never ever include co-op or multiplayer in the main ES games, because that would **** with modding, the main reason people buy and continue to play the game on PC.

Did you know that mods aren't exclusive to singleplayer games?

Well now you do ;)

I completely changed my talent trees, combat, leveling system, and graphics of skyrim, oblivion, morrowind...good luck getting those, plus custom armor and weapon sets and npcs and whole new continents into an online game without major incompatibilities

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

I'd rather they never ever include co-op or multiplayer in the main ES games, because that would **** with modding, the main reason people buy and continue to play the game on PC.

Well now you do ;)

I completely changed my talent trees, combat, leveling system, and graphics of skyrim, oblivion, morrowind...good luck getting those, plus custom armor and weapon sets and npcs and whole new continents into an online game without major incompatibilities

Neverwinter Nights had no problem allowing all of these types of mods in multiplayer in 2002, I don't see why it couldn't be done today...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

Well now you do ;)

Neverwinter Nights had no problem allowing all of these types of mods in multiplayer in 2002, I don't see why it couldn't be done today...

Are people really judging (complaining) a game based on it's mods now? My my... how times have changed with this new generation of gamers...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By wis3boi

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

Well now you do ;)

Are people really judging (complaining) a game based on it's mods now? My my... how times have changed with this new generation of gamers...

if the elder scrolls games didnt have the modding community they have i would have stopped playing them 15 years ago.

Edit: @KH, this is bethesda we're talking about here remember...they can barely make a stable singleplayer game or stable game engine, I don't want to imagine the extra burden of more players in, say, skyrim...which was why i said i was glad they didnt shift resources to ESO

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

Well now you do ;)

if the elder scrolls games didnt have the modding community they have i would have stopped playing them 15 years ago.

Edit: @KH, this is bethesda we're talking about here remember...they can barely make a stable singleplayer game or stable game engine, I don't want to imagine the extra burden of more players in, say, skyrim...which was why i said i was glad they didnt shift resources to ESO

ESO wasnt made by bethesda... it was made by zenimax. they are different groups :S

i think that is part of the problem. a TES game that wasnt made by the people who understand TES....

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 wis3boi

@cyloninside said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

Well now you do ;)

ESO wasnt made by bethesda... it was made by zenimax. they are different groups :S

i think that is part of the problem. a TES game that wasnt made by the people who understand TES....

reread what I wrote

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 FelipeInside

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Well thankfully not everyone thinks like you. I know lots of people that love Elder Scrolls and couldn't care less about mods. They just like the base game.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 wis3boi

@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Well thankfully not everyone thinks like you. I know lots of people that love Elder Scrolls and couldn't care less about mods. They just like the base game.

good for them, I'm sharing my thoughts on the ES series. Nowhere did I assert my opinion as fact, but a large reason for he continued success of the series on PC is due to the fact that mods can alter/fix the game. There's enough wrong with it already that I'd rather they avoid going more than one player at all costs and I'm happy bethesda shipped ESO to someone else.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 FelipeInside

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@wis3boi said:

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

good for them, I'm sharing my thoughts on the ES series. Nowhere did I assert my opinion as fact, but a large reason for he continued success of the series on PC is due to the fact that mods can alter/fix the game. There's enough wrong with it already that I'd rather they avoid going more than one player at all costs and I'm happy bethesda shipped ESO to someone else.

Exactly. I've been saying that all along. It's a great tactic that Bethesda have come up with. Lend the rights to the name to a company which has more experience with online games, so they can still concentrate on Elders Scrolls SP.

I wonder when ES6 will take place? Will it be a sequel to Skyrim or tie into the MMO somehow?

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

@gajbutler:

Agreed, I'm glad I was able to play the beta to realize I had no interest in buying this game.

Complete disappointment.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 FelipeInside

@whitey_rolls said:

@gajbutler:

Agreed, I'm glad I was able to play the beta to realize I had no interest in buying this game.

Complete disappointment.

So after reading all these comments I reinstalled Skyrim and played for a bit, then went back to ESO and vice-versa.

Can someone tell me what the HUGE difference is between the two? except of course that one is an MMO.

The combat is the same, Skyrim has a different skill/spell layout but ESO has one as well. Both games you can go wherever you want on the map. The MMO is a bit more linear in some parts obviously because it's an MMO. Both graphics are similar and look good. Both have voice acting etc etc.

Only difference I saw is a bit more liberty in Skyrim cause you can kill anyone, but that just means everyone tries to kill you back and so there goes the quest chain anyway.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 BSC14

@FelipeInside said:

@whitey_rolls said:

@gajbutler:

Complete disappointment.

So after reading all these comments I reinstalled Skyrim and played for a bit, then went back to ESO and vice-versa.

Can someone tell me what the HUGE difference is between the two? except of course that one is an MMO.

The combat is the same, Skyrim has a different skill/spell layout but ESO has one as well. Both games you can go wherever you want on the map. The MMO is a bit more linear in some parts obviously because it's an MMO. Both graphics are similar and look good. Both have voice acting etc etc.

Only difference I saw is a bit more liberty in Skyrim cause you can kill anyone, but that just means everyone tries to kill you back and so there goes the quest chain anyway.

I think it's the freedom that people have a hard time with...not as much in ESO...I don't know.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By FelipeInside

@BSC14 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@whitey_rolls said:

@gajbutler:

Complete disappointment.

I think it's the freedom that people have a hard time with...not as much in ESO...I don't know.

Who knows? obviously you lose a bit of freedom with an MMO, but it's not linear either.

The only valid excuse I've heard so far is from a friend who is a big time fan of Elder Scrolls, he just told me that he didn't want to play ESO cause it's an MMO, and running around with other people takes him out of the immersion (which I agree with).

Anyway... anyone that DOES play, I highly recommend installing this until they find a fix for the gold spammers:

http://www.curse.com/teso-addons/teso/spamfilter

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

My own, personal reason for not enjoying ESO is, like Felipe mentioned, seeing everyone else randomly running around kills the immersion completely for me. There are some games that are dependent with this. Eve Online is an exception to this and the only MMO I had any enjoyment with for a period of time as the game was designed very specifically for player interaction for the game to work. However, a franchise such as Elder Scrolls, the environment and immersion plays a huge role in my enjoyment of the games in the franchise.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

This thread has gotten out of control. Everyone sounds like a broken record...how can we close this?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 FelipeInside

@reaper4278 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@whitey_rolls said:

@gajbutler:

Complete disappointment.

Go play Skyrim for 150+ hours like most Elder Scroll fans have then get back to us on how they are the same. You scratched the surface, which is pretty much what ESO does compared to Skyrim.

Look, I am enjoying ESO, I put down $70 for the Imperial Edition so I am no hater. Comparing Elder Scrolls titles and ESO is apples and oranges. Both are fruit, both are grown from a tree...but they are just not the same.

You have a point, I think I only ranked up 8 hours on Skyrim. Saying that, wouldn't the same happen with ESO? As in people say it opens a lot more up later down the track?

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 BSC14

@NeoGen85:

considering the language in the title it probably should have been closed a long time ago.

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

Problem is they didn't make a world, they made a themepark, as a result it all feels fake.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 NeoGen85
@reaper4278 said:

@gajbutler said:

Problem is they didn't make a world, they made a themepark, as a result it all feels fake.

Agreed, this is where I was coming from when it felt messy like everything was just throw in. I had a moment last night after I completed all the quests in the zone but had yet to find any Skyshards, it was actual exploring! It felt more like Elder Scrolls at that point than any previously; I was free to just explore without having to feel like quests were being thrown at me from every direction. And I was actually looking for something that could elevate my toon.

Found any of the special workshops for crafting?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 wis3boi

@gajbutler said:

Mhm. MMO devs lately mostly have no balls to break any boundaries. They want to satisfy everyone at once and copy old formulas. By trying to satisfy everyone, you satisfy no one

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#75 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

I played through both the closed and open beta; I really wanted this game to be good but what it ends up being is an extremely underwhelming MMORPG. A real shame, considering what it could have been.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@gajbutler said:

By trying to satisfy everyone, you satisfy no one

Nah, you satisfy those who are easily satisfied which, sadly, seems to be a hell of a lot of people. I swear there are people on this board who have never met a big-budget "AAA" game they didn't love. Aiming low seems to pay big.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 FelipeInside

@-wildflower- said:

@wis3boi said:

@gajbutler said:

By trying to satisfy everyone, you satisfy no one

Nah, you satisfy those who are easily satisfied which, sadly, seems to be a hell of a lot of people. I swear there are people on this board who have never met a big-budget "AAA" game they didn't love. Aiming low seems to pay big.

Me, Far Cry 2.... what a mess.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 FelipeInside

@Motokid6 said:

All i ever wanted was a multiplayer Skrim.. why is that not a thing?

If that was a thing, then nerd rage all over the internet that it "ruins the SP experience"

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#80 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

It's a great tactic that Bethesda have come up with. Lend the rights to the name to a company which has more experience with online games, so they can still concentrate on Elders Scrolls SP.

I wonder when ES6 will take place? Will it be a sequel to Skyrim or tie into the MMO somehow?

Zenimax Media Inc. owns Zenimax Online Studios (ESO), Bethesda Softworks (the publishing arm) and Bethesda Game Studios (the developer of TES), so I don't think Bethesda (the developer) would have had much choice in the matter. Zenimax wanted an MMO to compete with WOW, and the most obvious franchise was The Elder Scrolls.

dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By dogfather76
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

Maybe this won't make sense, but I've got about 60 hours in the game. During that time, it just hasn't stuck me as "fun." It seems like Elder Scrolls and all, but it's just too slow paced for my liking. It doesn't help that the targeting system is about the worst I've ever seen. I've tried the pvp and it's even slow. I just think the developers were having an identity crisis. It "feels" like a single player game but with other people running around. I really hope that it grows on me but it just isn't doing it for me.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 NeoGen85

@dogfather76 said:

Maybe this won't make sense, but I've got about 60 hours in the game. During that time, it just hasn't stuck me as "fun." It seems like Elder Scrolls and all, but it's just too slow paced for my liking. It doesn't help that the targeting system is about the worst I've ever seen. I've tried the pvp and it's even slow. I just think the developers were having an identity crisis. It "feels" like a single player game but with other people running around. I really hope that it grows on me but it just isn't doing it for me.

How would you compare to games like The Secret World, DC Universe Online, The Old Republic, etc?

dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By dogfather76

@NeoGen85:

The Secret World had such a unique world, I was hooked for a while. Definately under rated in my book.

I really liked The Old Republic leveling up and the pvp was more suited to the style I liked. The biggest drawback to it was the lack of a well thought out end game. I stopped playing it about 6 months in though.

I could never get into DC Universe. I tried to play it twice but all it did was make me miss City of Heroes.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By FelipeInside

@reaper4278 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Motokid6 said:

All i ever wanted was a multiplayer Skrim.. why is that not a thing?w

If that was a thing, then nerd rage all over the internet that it "ruins the SP experience"

That's BS and I don't think you (not being a Skyrim fan) have any credibility to even comment on the manner. TES fans have always thought it would be awesome to have co-op TES games, it has been a dream since Morrowind, how cool would it be to quest with a friend? You cannot understand why TES fans dislike ESO, cool dude, whatever. But talking shit like this is just that, shit. TES fans wanted co-op, not for TES to screwn and MMO and come up with this TES/MMO hybrid..

We'll never known we will, but I know one thing for sure... The Nerd Rage Force is strong with this generation of gamers, so either co-op or MMO, they will always find something to cry and bitch about.

ESO does a good job at questing with friends in Tamriel for now, maybe the next SP Elder Scrolls might have a co-op mode, although they need to fix the single player experience first.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By FelipeInside

@reaper4278 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@reaper4278 said:

Why do most people think having a conversation is about a "battle" or "winning" or "fanboiing"?

I am expressing my opinion on ESO, nothing else. I don't "pick battles" whatever that is meant to be.

Is ESO the greatest MMO ever created? Not even close.

Is ESO as bad as everyone here makes it out to be? Not at all.

The MMO is a good game (it's already getting high reviews on pre-review states). I understand lots of Elder Scrolls fan not wanting to play it because you lose immersion, or there is less freedom etc. But some people are saying the combat is totally different (BS), the graphics are awful (BS), the sound is terrible (BS). There are reasonable people that choose not to play it, which is fine, and then there are people that will complain about anything.

What I meant about fixing the SP experience is the actual engine and design choices. We all know the Elder Scrolls engine has to be one of the worst, with bugs galore. On top of that, let's take Skyrim. Great game with great mods, but the sound bugs are pretty bad (people all talking at the same time, volume problems), bugs are still everywhere even though this is part 5 of a series, and other stupid design problems takes the immersion out of it.

Which ones you say? this explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CbxMDRcjoY

PS: take a chill pill. Go play whatever makes you happy.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BSC14

@reaper4278:

As much as I enjoy ESO I have to admit that the pc gamer quote has a good point. I have the same feeling from time to time when I'm running around the world.

That said I still think that the game gets an unfair and unjustified amount of hate.

I have heard that after level 10 it feels less linear but I'm not there yet because I have had a hell of a time deciding what I want to play.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

It's multiplayer, what did you expect?

Of course, multiplayer games are bound to be shit.

dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 dogfather76

@reaper4278: yes, whoever wrote that sums up exactly how I feel. I couldn't say it better myself. It's a decent game, but it isn't the MMO that I am looking for.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By FelipeInside

@reaper4278 said:

@BSC14 said:

@reaper4278:

As much as I enjoy ESO I have to admit that the pc gamer quote has a good point. I have the same feeling from time to time when I'm running around the world.

That said I still think that the game gets an unfair and unjustified amount of hate.

I have heard that after level 10 it feels less linear but I'm not there yet because I have had a hell of a time deciding what I want to play.

All games get hate from those who don't like them, it is just the way it is. All you can do is weed out the misinformation from opinion then let the rest be. I am enjoying it too, I have just yet to decide if it is going to be a monthly sub-worthy game or not because it plays so singleplayer-like. If I still enjoy playing it and can do so for months why not? $15 per month is a lot less than I would spend on a new game to play for that month.

My key to liking this is to actually see it as a singleplayer game, because as an MMO I think it falls short. It is a weird hybrid in my opinion. All MMO's these days can be solo'd but few go as far as this to actually make the experience feel like a SP game.

You're enjoying the game yet you give me crap because I'm saying to Elder Scrolls fans that it's an MMO and don't expect to it be like the SP experience?

You use words like "battle" and "victim". Why so violent? Do you know what an opinion is?

For all the people that said "why did they do an MMO?", really? do these people know how business works. With all the lore and world and characters of Elder Scrolls, when Oblivion was released I said "it's amazing they haven't made an MMO yet". The MMO was inevitable, and although it isn't maybe what many expected, it's not as awful as many have said... and that's where I defend it, nowhere else.

And what's this about "you were never part of the Skyrim community"? does that mean I can't comment on anything Elder Scrolls does it? I have 3 friends who are massive fans of Elder Scrolls. 2 of them have probably played more than you ever will, and one of them knows the lore better than his own life. 1 of them has decided not to play ESO because he doesn't like playing with others, the other 2 are enjoying the game because they know what it is and enjoy it for what it is. On top of this, the general chat inside the game is mostly positive, so with my friends, my own experience and what I see/read I can comment on it without people like you posting useless crap, cause so far that's all you have contributed to this topic.

Again, go outside for a while or have a chill pill, we are talking about video games here.... not some other serious issue.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@gajbutler said:

And that is why I will never play it (free or otherwise). I am so sick of generic theme-park MMORPGs.

I've said it before but this genre needs to evolve or die.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By FelipeInside

@reaper4278 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@reaper4278 said:

@BSC14 said:

@reaper4278:

Again I was talking specifically about your post saying the Skyrim community would nerdrage over a co-op Skyrim, which showed you know NOTHING of the Skyrim community, yet you keep going off on these other tangents.

Saying "go outside" or "take a chill pill" is not an I win button on the internet. Wtf does me going outside have to do with you not knowing shit about hwat the TES community wants anyway?

FOR PROBABLY THE 5TH TIME: there is no win or lose here. I am not saying "go outside" to win. We are having a conversation over video games and opinions on a random forum for Christs Sake, why do you think someone has to "win"? How old are you? I'm saying go outside cause you seem so upset over nothing.

I don't know if the would nerd-rage or not, but it happened with Dead Space... it happened with KOTOR... etc. Chances are, lots of people would believe that the SP experience would get ruined by allowing other players in there. I'm not the one saying it would, I'm just assuming people would think that. You assume all the time, so why do you give crap to others when they assume?

But you know what, whatever makes you happy, I don't really care.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts

I find it funny how much the existence of this game pisses people off

Never seen so many nerds rage over a game before

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By FelipeInside

@UCF_Knight said:

I find it funny how much the existence of this game pisses people off

Never seen so many nerds rage over a game before

Welcome to GameSpot Forums... hope you like your stay.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

So, I actually like ESO, but I did not like skyrim or oblivion. (Morrowind was awsome) Which is funny because I am not an mmo type of guy. I think Skyrim and Oblivion had more flaws with game design than ESO. ESO just has technical flaws.

It definitely has problems, but somehow I am able to look past them when I normally can't. I think part of the reason is that even if you have a really effective build its not overly easy compared to every other mmo out and leveling doesn't feel like a chore to get to endgame. Albeit the beginning is slow, but after about level 7 or so the game really picks up and allows you to actually explore unlike other mmos because you find so many random quests like an elderscrolls game.