the best games that never got played

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Minglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Minglis
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts

what do you think are some absolutely awesome games out there that never got played or noticed as much as they should have despite being excellent games?

somethat i have to name would be dungeon keeper, it had fantastic characters and units, dark storyline, comedy and innovation and creativity. shadowman, it had a deep, dark and immersice story, great characters, cool maps and locations, nice guns, hard puzzles, very very long single player mode, it realy should have been a classic imo. cybermage would have also been a far bigger hit had there not been so many lacklustre doom clones at the time that it probably was mistaken for. dark reign was also a very well made game back in the day but blizzard and cavedog stole the spotlight when dark reign was just as good imo.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58450 Posts

SHattered Union: amazing turn-based combat game about a second american civil war. Really cool gameplay elements and very challenging.

Freedom FIghters: made by Io, it was somehow overlooked by a lot of people even though it has a strong but small fanbase.

The Chronnicles of Riddick: EFBB: honestly, as good as this game is, how many people really own it? Or am I totally off on this one?

Joint Operations: this game is easily twice as fun and quality as Battlefield 2, but there is only a tiny community....what gives?!?!

Oh ya, I agree with you on Dark Reign. One of my favorite RTSs with a suprisingly good story, but it just never caught on. One of the first games I Remember playing that had artillery too. Very eery setting too, rebels vs big bad empire or something. Some of the units they Imperium had were just diabolical, like a truck that scooped people up, turned em into zombies, and sent them back to the base with bombs strapped to them.

Minglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Minglis

The Chronnicles of Riddick: EFBB: honestly, as good as this game is, how many people really own it? Or am I totally off on this one?mrbojangles25

i saw it at eb games under the "best seller series" so i assume your wrong lol. alot of people didnt think much of it because of the reputation games based on movies have, how wrong they were though :)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"] The Chronnicles of Riddick: EFBB: honestly, as good as this game is, how many people really own it? Or am I totally off on this one?Minglis

i saw it at eb games under the "best seller series" so i assume your wrong lol. alot of people didnt think much of it because of the reputation games based on movies have, how wrong they were though :)

Hahaha ok, I was way off.

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
[QUOTE="Minglis"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"] The Chronnicles of Riddick: EFBB: honestly, as good as this game is, how many people really own it? Or am I totally off on this one?mrbojangles25

I dont know the exact sales figures on it, but for a Movie game, IMO, it should have sold more. And since it was an excellent movie game at that, I almost feel bad that it didnt sell more!
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
Arx Fatalis - Came out the same year as Morrowind, so was over shadowed by the giant. those who did play it, were treated to one of the most atmospheric RPG's out there. The game's rich sound and excellent puzzles made it a wonderful game. I also though the combat in Arx was much better then Morrowind. Not only were you able to target appendages (and cut them off too :P ), but the magic system was very cool also.
Domingo1093

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Domingo1093
Member since 2005 • 195 Posts
[QUOTE="Minglis"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"] The Chronnicles of Riddick: EFBB: honestly, as good as this game is, how many people really own it? Or am I totally off on this one?mrbojangles25

Personnally, I think that the movie was horrible...however as you guys said the game seems pretty good. I didn t try it but I found it difficult to buy a game like that because I have the impression that it might look like the movie. But you all seem to agree that it is a cool game...should I give it a try ?

DABhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 DABhand
Member since 2005 • 174 Posts

I think Psychonauts was a big shame, people didnt really buy it and it was beautifully designed and its gameplay was amazingly addictive.

One of those games that failed due to hardly any promotion.

karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 karmageddon2k4
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"][QUOTE="Minglis"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"] The Chronnicles of Riddick: EFBB: honestly, as good as this game is, how many people really own it? Or am I totally off on this one?ice_radon

I dont know the exact sales figures on it, but for a Movie game, IMO, it should have sold more. And since it was an excellent movie game at that, I almost feel bad that it didnt sell more!

By now i think it picked up well. At first i dont' think very many people played it. Once everyone heard it was actually great they rushed out to get it (or so i would imagine what happened). I have it and it's quite fun

karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 karmageddon2k4
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"] The Chronnicles of Riddick: EFBB: honestly, as good as this game is, how many people really own it? Or am I totally off on this one?Domingo1093

Personnally, I think that the movie was horrible...however as you guys said the game seems pretty good. I didn t try it but I found it difficult to buy a game like that because I have the impression that it might look like the movie. But you all seem to agree that it is a cool game...should I give it a try ?

Yes i would recommend the game. I was one at first that didn't think it would be good. But once several of my friends told me i need to play the game i went and picked it up and i have to say it is quite well done

xVx-Moat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xVx-Moat
Member since 2004 • 113 Posts
[QUOTE="Domingo1093"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"][QUOTE="Minglis"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"] The Chronnicles of Riddick: EFBB: honestly, as good as this game is, how many people really own it? Or am I totally off on this one?karmageddon2k4

Yes i would recommend the game. I was one at first that didn't think it would be good. But once several of my friends told me i need to play the game i went and picked it up and i have to say it is quite well done

I would recommend the game as well. been a while since I played it but I do remember that I was surprised because it was actually better than I thought it would be. One thing to look out for though, it is possible to stretch dead enemies for ridiculous lengths (if they get stuck on railings or similar) then let go and they snap back like elastic. Bizarre!

Gforcefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gforcefan
Member since 2002 • 93 Posts

I think Psychonauts was a big shame, people didnt really buy it and it was beautifully designed and its gameplay was amazingly addictive.

DABhand_UK

I have to second psychonauts.

Also, Planescape Torment. I know it seems like it sold 2 billion copies because of the love it gets,

but it actually sold very poorly.

Finally, undying. This was a fps with great atmosphere that never did well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 060390
Member since 2006 • 383 Posts
i think Pathologic didn't get the attention it deserved. it had a unique gamplay, very different from other games, and it was mature. it's not a game for anybody that wants hard- core action
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

Arx Fatalis - Came out the same year as Morrowind, so was over shadowed by the giant. those who did play it, were treated to one of the most atmospheric RPG's out there. The game's rich sound and excellent puzzles made it a wonderful game. I also though the combat in Arx was much better then Morrowind. Not only were you able to target appendages (and cut them off too :P ), but the magic system was very cool also. dnuggs40

Agreed. I just recently played through it after I heard about it here on the forums, and it's definitely an amazing game. TBH I thought the magic system was a bit clunky, but it was very cool at the same time so I guess it evens out in the end.

jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"] The Chronnicles of Riddick: EFBB: honestly, as good as this game is, how many people really own it? Or am I totally off on this one?Domingo1093

Well it's a good game, you could give it a try if you want.

Hurvl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hurvl
Member since 2005 • 2224 Posts
[QUOTE="DABhand_UK"]

Gforcefan

I have to second psychonauts.

Also, Planescape Torment. I know it seems like it sold 2 billion copies because of the love it gets,

Finally, undying. This was a fps with great atmosphere that never did well.

I think Undying was a great game (an eternal/undying classic). I never got very far in it the first time I played it, because it was bugged, but once I started playing it on my family's new computer, after downloading the patch, it went just fine. I think I'll start it up again sometime soon and get spooked once more.

I have to mention Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines as well, as I have did in similar topics about this subject. The best voice-acting I have ever heard, great dialogue and dialogue options. Excellent story. Just download the official patch and some of the unofficial patches - I haven't had problems with any of the unofficial ones.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="Domingo1093"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"][QUOTE="Minglis"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"] The Chronnicles of Riddick: EFBB: honestly, as good as this game is, how many people really own it? Or am I totally off on this one?karmageddon2k4

Oh ya, definately worth picking up. Its got a completely different storyline than Pitch Black and the Chronicles of Riddick movie. I think the story is actually better than the second movie, the only difference being you get to do what you want for the action sequences. It also goes into the origins about how you got your night vision eyes, and thats also where the gameplay really gets fun! And shanking people in prison never gets old!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrbojangles25

Ooooh oooh ooh, I got a good one!

Nox

Anyone play this gem? It was an RPG made by the great folks at Westwood Studios (RIP), and while it wasnt as deep as the DnD games, it was a whole lot of fun. Great atmosphere and story, and it was an awesome substitute for Diablo 2 if you were getting a bit bored.

X-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 X-7
Member since 2006 • 1934 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"] The Chronnicles of Riddick: EFBB: honestly, as good as this game is, how many people really own it? Or am I totally off on this one?Minglis

It had a small following. It wnt by quickly and I never heard of it till it was out for 6 months.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

Nox

Anyone play this gem? It was an RPG made by the great folks at Westwood Studios (RIP), and while it wasnt as deep as the DnD games, it was a whole lot of fun. Great atmosphere and story, and it was an awesome substitute for Diablo 2 if you were getting a bit bored.

mrbojangles25

Cool...that game does look good. I will check it out!

X-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 X-7
Member since 2006 • 1934 Posts

Sorry about the dbl. post. But, they are remaking EFBB for 360 and PS3. It will include a new chapter.

I heard this in GI's COD4 issue.

jetriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jetriot
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts
Battlezone, cant think of another game that blended fps and rts action since then, which is sad because it was easily one of the greatest, least played games ever.
everson_rm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 everson_rm
Member since 2004 • 1664 Posts
"Undyng" all the way... Really a great game, I don't know anyone besides me that have played it!
giantraddish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 giantraddish
Member since 2002 • 307 Posts

Arx Fatalis - Came out the same year as Morrowind, so was over shadowed by the giant. those who did play it, were treated to one of the most atmospheric RPG's out there. The game's rich sound and excellent puzzles made it a wonderful game. I also though the combat in Arx was much better then Morrowind. Not only were you able to target appendages (and cut them off too :P ), but the magic system was very cool also. dnuggs40

This one came to mind for me to! Wouldn't go so far to say it was competitive with Morrowind: it had a tiny game world and linear story line. Also its crafting system, which I loved, starts to pale when you compare it to Morrowind. All that said it succeeded at what it set out to do - be an updated Ultima Underworld. It had a lot of character and the spell casting system was a hoot. (Noticed it's available on Steam now.)

gr.

giantraddish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 giantraddish
Member since 2002 • 307 Posts

Freedom Fighters: made by Io, it was somehow overlooked by a lot of people even though it has a strong but small fanbase.mrbojangles25

I had a lot of fun with this game. It would have been so sweet if they had released a level editor for it. One of the downsides of games being developed primarily for consoles.

gr.

Hurvl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hurvl
Member since 2005 • 2224 Posts

"Undyng" all the way... Really a great game, I don't know anyone besides me that have played it!everson_rm

Read the posts at the first page. Not one but TWO people mention Undying.

ArcticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ArcticSnake
Member since 2003 • 942 Posts
Beyond good and evil. I am so pissed that a game that was suppose to be part of a trilogy got so little sales that they had to can the trilogy.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrbojangles25

Battlezone, cant think of another game that blended fps and rts action since then, which is sad because it was easily one of the greatest, least played games ever.jetriot

God! I always forget about Battlezone! One of my all time favorite games as well.

Multiplayer was totally cool as well. You'd make a base, build some defenses, then some tanks, then lead them all into battle! A shame the community was so small

DABhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#29 DABhand
Member since 2005 • 174 Posts

Nox

mrbojangles25

Well I think Nox did sell well, they did have an addon for it which they sold later on. But yeah it was a good fun Diablo Clone, but unlike Diablo the maps didnt change, so was same thing when you tried all 3 types of characters to be.

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts

I also agree with the people who named Clive Barkers: Undying. It was a fantastic game, but didn't generate a lot of buzz due to the lack of multiplay. It's too bad, as the ending definetly left room for another game. The combo of weapons and magic gave it some great gameplay, while the atmosphere chilled you to the bone and kept you riveted to the story.

Nox is another good choice. I would put that above Diablo in terms of gameplay, but it doesn't compare in replayability. Still, this game really proved to be more than a clone, despite what many reviews said of it. I think this would have done well if it had a co-op for the single player, but as I remember it, it was primarily deathmatch multiplayer.

Arx Fatalis: I just played through this for the first time a couple weeks ago after hearing so many good things about it on these forums. I can't believe I had missed out on this one for so long. I think the highlite of this game is the gesture based magic system. This game vaguely reminded me of Blade of Darkness, with less emphasis on combat. The linearity of the game hurts the overall replayability, however, and I think this is why it remains as underplayed today.

llakallaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 llakallaka
Member since 2006 • 1230 Posts
Chronicles of Riddick
tuff_gong92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 tuff_gong92
Member since 2006 • 2345 Posts
What about Serious Sam. That is a PC action/throwback/parody masterpiece. Nobody I know heard of the game but I still try and play it if I can find the disks. The first ones, the First Encounter and the Second Encounter. Simply awesome. They are pretty cheap to get too, $10 for both I think. They got 8.9 and 9.1 respectivelty. So great.
Deechu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Deechu
Member since 2005 • 34 Posts
Freedom force/Freedom force vs the 3rd reich. Seriously, those games are hella good.
arneolai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 arneolai
Member since 2005 • 40 Posts

I agree with a lot of the game that have been mentioned, so to mention one not jet mentioned:

Xlll: Exiting story and original graphic, one of my favorites fps.

rainierflu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rainierflu
Member since 2006 • 207 Posts

DEFCON

It's nice change of pace for a rts type game

Proagent514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 Proagent514
Member since 2005 • 160 Posts

I'm a big fan of Undying, just started playing it again it actually reminds me of bioshock for some strange reason =P.

A few games that I thought were great were

Giants: Citizen Kabuto (great game graphics hold up even today and you can get it off amazon for like 3-6$)

The Wheel of Time- the game was awesome but alas I don't think anyone played it =/

Star Wars Dark Forces 2: Mysteries of the Sith (AMAZING game that really added so much to the star wars games, plus you play as Mara Jade!)

Sacred (diablo clone was actually a good one at that)

MDK2 ( hard game but was funny and definitely had its moments)

georgetkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 georgetkat
Member since 2004 • 124 Posts
I definitely agree with the Freedom Force games, Undying and the most recent Vampire: The Masquerade game. And Arcanum, I'd add to the list. Before Troika could put out a planned sequel, they went under.
erlinghm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 erlinghm
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

:lol: What's up people!!!

In my humble opinion I had to choose these games form my list the order does not means that the first one is my favorite just is one of my preferred games and one of the games that I loved to play and I'll do it again. :D

1-Star Craft

2- Baldur's gate II

3- Neverwinter Nights

4-Call of Duty

5- F.E.A.R

6- Far cry

7-GTA 3

8- half life 1 and 2

9- Heroes ofd might and magic III

10-Hitman 2

11- Mafia

12- LOTR battle for middle earth

Ok ok that enough I can continue but to be honest those are the games that I normally think about when one of my friends will like to talk about games...

Agent_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Agent_13
Member since 2007 • 571 Posts

Uplink- really cool hacking game by introversion software, underrated and underplayed

tuff_gong92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 tuff_gong92
Member since 2006 • 2345 Posts

I agree with a lot of the game that have been mentioned, so to mention one not jet mentioned:

Xlll: Exiting story and original graphic, one of my favorites fps.

arneolai

I loved XIII! I had that game and beat it like 3 times. It was so fun. It really did cel-shading well and pulled off that comic book style and the story was good too. Loved it, one of my favs.

BangsLiekWhoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BangsLiekWhoa
Member since 2005 • 361 Posts
I definately have to agree with the guys that said Freedom Fighters. It is a great game with simple controls that still get your team to work together well. Altogether it is a very fun game.
Minglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Minglis

[QUOTE="jetriot"]Battlezone, cant think of another game that blended fps and rts action since then, which is sad because it was easily one of the greatest, least played games ever.mrbojangles25

God! I always forget about Battlezone! One of my all time favorite games as well.

Multiplayer was totally cool as well. You'd make a base, build some defenses, then some tanks, then lead them all into battle! A shame the community was so small

omg yes i loved that game! i cant believe it didnt do well i mean it was called battlezone for gods sake and i think it got like 9.6 at gamespot.

crimson_axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 crimson_axe
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time really didn't sell well until later when the two sequels came out - so it sort of counts.

Freedom Fighters... honestly, with all the hub-bub about squad tactics and whatnot that was going on at the time, this is one of the only games that got it right, and people just passed over it. I know it's been mentioned, but credit is served where credit is due.

However, given these two highly undersold titles, there is one that I will take to the grave with me as one of the best games that NO one has ever heard about other than a very small group of people.

Blade of Darkness

Alright, to be fair, this game had some problems, but none of them were game breaking. At best, they weremildly annoying. This game literally had it all. In 2001-02, it basically had the best visuals of any game out, not to mention some of the best shadow rendering that rivals stuff even today. It was way ahead of it's time as far as that is concerned. To top it off, you had excellent melee combat that works better than even Jedi Knight. Sure, it was extremely linear, but nothing was more satisfying than to chop some orcs head off, then pick it up and beat up the goblin that just ambushed you.

I know they will never made a sequel for this game, but I swear I hope someone picks up the torch where this left off.

GamingMonkeyPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 GamingMonkeyPC
Member since 2005 • 3576 Posts

Skynet

Full Throttle

X-COM: UFO Defense

Outcast

The Longest Journey

asdf42asdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 asdf42asdf
Member since 2005 • 76 Posts

Gforcefan
Totally agree! One of my top 10 all time games. Unique theme. Classic D&D rules. Great plot / story. Great characters. And I bought mine for $5 in some discount bin.
asdf42asdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 asdf42asdf
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="jetriot"]Battlezone, cant think of another game that blended fps and rts action since then, which is sad because it was easily one of the greatest, least played games ever.Minglis

omg yes i loved that game! i cant believe it didnt do well i mean it was called battlezone for gods sake and i think it got like 9.6 at gamespot.

You had to play battlezone multi-player to get the full effect of it. And it was a bad time for that game to come out. All the new multiplayer games had just come out; and both the FPS & RTS genre's were oversaturated. It was hard to find anyone to play this game with.
asdf42asdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 asdf42asdf

Uplink- really cool hacking game by introversion software, underrated and underplayed

Agent_13
The thing that sucked about Uplink was the way they did copy protection. You always had to look up some funky phrase in the manual; and I just don't carry my documentation around with me. The graphics were cool though. Even though no hacker hacks like that (like I would know); it did feel like you were on those TV shows where people hack into stuff.
mrxdemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#48 mrxdemix
Member since 2004 • 1427 Posts
Mafia. I have never heard anyone talk about it before yet it's one of the best games ever.
Yosmel2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Yosmel2006
Member since 2005 • 294 Posts
Have to agree with the earlier posts about Nox. I was hardcore into Nox back in the days - the multiplayer was insanely fun and hardly got boring. There was always stories to tell among my friends concerning multiplayer feats and funny stories. To be honest I never once thought of it as a clone or even similar to Diablo but I guess they do share *some* gameplay features. Definite classic though, I wish WestWood would come back from the dead and make a sequel. Heck just revive the servers and I'll be happy!
futs22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 futs22
Member since 2005 • 1452 Posts

Beyond good and evil. I am so pissed that a game that was suppose to be part of a trilogy got so little sales that they had to can the trilogy.ArcticSnake

I definitely agree w/ you on that. I picked up this game out of curiosity and iniitially brushed it off as a kiddie-platformer game, but ended up getting hooked and finishing it in just a couple of days. The storyline, excellent character development and the twists really pushed me to keep playing it. Speaking of adventure games, Grim Fandango by Lucasarts is my contribution to this thread. Great graphics and art design, funny characters and dialogue, equally funny puzzles and solutions as well. Great game, abysmal sales if I remember correctly.