take a crack at starcraft 2's requirements

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BobSacamento
Member since 2003 • 4340 Posts

what do you guys think from the trailers seen so far, and from blizzards past history

i plan on getting a laptop in the commings weeks, probably about a 2ghz core2duo, 2gb ram, probably an 8600 or better, a 7950 go if i can find one - do you think that would run it fine?

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts

from the looks of it minimum settings will probably be:

FX 5700 or greater

P4 2.0GHZ or greater

512mb RAM

Recommended

Geforce 7800 or greater

1gb RAM

P4 3.0 GHZ or any dual core CPU

StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts
I bet the recommended specs for Dx9 would be as low as a 6600GT, even lower. I'm very sure the game will be scalable so many gamers can enjoy the game regardless of thier computer setups. Well, as long as you dont have a Pentium III CPU, Voodoo card, or 128 mb of ram.
Deepcut9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Deepcut9
Member since 2007 • 761 Posts
recommended 7800 GTX probably
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Seeing as Korea pc's need to run it, 1.6 ghz p4,512mb ram and ati 9000 series/nvidia fx 5000 series
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BobSacamento
will it be direct x 10?
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

will it be direct x 10?BobSacamento

Why in the world would they make it DX10? There is no advantage what so ever, infact they would alienate quite a few people.

Rangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 Rangent
Member since 2004 • 507 Posts
DX10 is for games with super-high graphics requirements... there are some games like that... but a high profile release like SC2 will most likely be a lowest-common-denominator release. Starcraft didn't have very stiff requirements when it was first released. Neither did Diablo, Warcraft 1/2/3, or even WOW for that matter. It wouldn't make sense for them to make some rediculous requirements.
Realist1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Realist1101
Member since 2005 • 272 Posts
Oh boy i guess people with usless computer like mine cant play it :(
dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts

MINIMUM

• Pentium 4 @ 2ghz
  • 512MB RAM
  • GeForce 6600 with 128MB RAM

RECOMMENDED

• Pentium 4 3.4Ghz
  • 1GB RAM
  • GeForce 7800

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BobSacamento
is the 8600M GT better than the 7800 desktop gpu?
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 onemic

is the 8600M GT better than the 7800 desktop gpu?BobSacamento

The 8600GT is on par with a 7600GT. It's very possible that it's a bit slower due to it being the mobile version.

19chevelle72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 19chevelle72
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
It will probly take a Sega Dreamcast to run it.
StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts
I think it might have DX10 as it was stated to be run on windows xp and vista, I bet there will be a alternate patch for dx10 users to enable the special effects like soft shadows, richer explosions, minor things, etc. but will still support dx10 and dx9, and maybe even lower?
DABhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15 DABhand
Member since 2005 • 174 Posts

It will probly take a Sega Dreamcast to run it.19chevelle72

Did you know the dreamcast was a much more superior console to the PS2. Its true. Just the developers believed the hype Sony threw at them. Shame too.

But im guessing Blizzard will want to target as much people as possibly. So expect the requirements to be low.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts
either laptop should run it find but i would go with the 7950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59d151f079814

I think it might have DX10 as it was stated to be run on windows xp and vista, I bet there will be a alternate patch for dx10 users to enable the special effects like soft shadows, richer explosions, minor things, etc. but will still support dx10 and dx9, and maybe even lower? StephenHu

Sense when has Blizzard been known to use the latest advancments in graphics? :roll:

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 onemic

[QUOTE="19chevelle72"]It will probly take a Sega Dreamcast to run it.DABhand_UK

Did you know the dreamcast was a much more superior console to the PS2. Its true. Just the developers believed the hype Sony threw at them. Shame too.

lol, it really wasn't.

DABhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DABhand
[QUOTE="DABhand_UK"]

[QUOTE="19chevelle72"]It will probly take a Sega Dreamcast to run it.onemic

lol, it really wasn't.

Tell me why it wasnt?

DABhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DABhand

This is one of the biggest suprises to most. Although the DC CPU in terms of GFLOP/s was lower than the PS2's. It still out performed it.

You just have to remember the days of AMD processors outperforming higher spec Intel processors in terms of gaming. Its the same for the DC's SH-4 RISC CPU.

As is the GPU the DC used, although it used less Polygons per second, it had more hardware extras than its PS2 counterparts GPU, Alphablending, PixelShading, etc were all nice extras on the DC. And each of which helped boost performance and rendering in games.

Wonder why Shenmue looked impressive and played smoothly? When was the last time you had that type of real time rendering in a PS2 game?

concord9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 concord9
Member since 2003 • 949 Posts

Just me or did the graphics on those screen shots look like crap, purely from a graphic quality point of view, compared to say CoH or AOE3, maybe even C&C3? Blizzard claims its a brand new engine but man it looks like their only 5 years behind what is capable today. Its actually a shame, I mean its a really high profile game, it should set a bench for games to come in graphics, game play etc. Biggest disappointment is this game is prolly a year away, it looks dated today I don't even wanna think how it'll look when it comes out. And the nuke looks like crap, sorry but I'm not impressed what-so ever, C&C3 thats how a F*cking nuke is suppose to look like or World in Conflict, these are nukes.

Its requirements should be really low if thats how it looks.

Knowing Blizzard when it comes out you might actually find a comp in the dump that'll play it at these graphics :P

Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#22 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="DABhand_UK"]

lol, it really wasn't.

Tell me why it wasnt?

I liked The Dreamcast.. Hydro Thunder, Soul Calibur, Code Veronica, etc.. And I do notice a mild difference in graphical power from PS2 to Dreamcast.. but the lack of games for the Dreamcast is what killed it.

Much like the Atari Jaguar.. great console.. horrible marketing.

DABhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DABhand

Yep your right. Another great console that died under Sony's desperate bid to woo developers to their side.

I heard Shenmue 3 is in development for the Xbox 360. Should be impressive :)

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="DABhand_UK"]

lol, it really wasn't.

Tell me why it wasnt?

Do you really think the dreamcast could produce graphics like those seen in metal gear solid? Or god of war? I don't think so. Just look dreamcasts best looking games and look at PS2's games made in 2001. (Gran turismo and GTA3 to name a few) The dreamcast just can't keep up.

Not to say that the dreamcast sucks, it was a great system and it was very unfortunate that sega couldn't pull a profit, but to think that the dreamcast was technically better than the PS2 is laughable. It's like me trying to say that PS2 games look better than xbox games.

DABhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DABhand
[QUOTE="DABhand_UK"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="DABhand_UK"]

[QUOTE="19chevelle72"]It will probly take a Sega Dreamcast to run it.onemic

lol, it really wasn't.

Tell me why it wasnt?

Do you really think the dreamcast could produce graphics like those seen in metal gear solid? Or god of war? I don't think so. Just look dreamcasts best looking games and look at PS2's games made in 2001. (Gran turismo and GTA3 to name a few) The dreamcast just can't keep up.

Not to say that the dreamcast sucks, it was a great system and it was very unfortunate that sega couldn't pull a profit, but to think that the dreamcast was technically better than the PS2 is laughable. It's like me trying to say that PS2 games look better than xbox games.

You missed my point about shenmue. Everything in that game was real time rendered. Have you actually seen any movies or pictures of Shenmue running?

ModernTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ModernTimes
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
Maybe if the DC had a functional controller...
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="DABhand_UK"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="DABhand_UK"]

lol, it really wasn't.

Tell me why it wasnt?

You missed my point about shenmue. Everything in that game was real time rendered. Have you actually seen any movies or pictures of Shenmue running?

Yes I have. Have you ever seen metal gear solid 3 pictures and videos or even metal gear solid 2? Shenmue can't touch it graphically.

speed1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 speed1
Member since 2005 • 655 Posts
What laptop are you getting, OP? I'd recommend a Zepto/Clevo/Asus. Good deals and great specs.
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#29 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts

Onemic.. the dreamcast just looked crisper is all... Take for example Code Veronica, Dreamcast vs PS2.. sure the PS2 had the game on one disk.. (due to DVD) but It just looked a tad crisper on the Dreamcast.. dunno.. maybe its just me. The PS2 may have had a better graphics processor.. (obviously, since Dreamcast was a full year behind it) but, at release.. the dreamcast had (for me) crisper looking graphics than the PS2.. Maybe its not true now.. but then it gave the PS2 a run for its money, just the lack of games killed the Dreamcast.. one year in and the amount of games paled in comparison with the PS2 (a year after release).

Also, the Dreamcast was still using a CD-ROM based medium.. so the PS2 seemed like a better buy due to the DVD movie playback feature. I know I used my PS2 for years as a DVD player.

Anyways.. You can say that the Atari Jaguar sux compared to the PS1.. but the point was that the Jaguar suffered from the same fate as the Dreamcast. The Jaguar was more powerful (64bit) .. but Sony (32bit) beat Atari.. through the amount of games available.

NoRemnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NoRemnants
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts

[QUOTE="BobSacamento"]will it be direct x 10?sSubZerOo

Why in the world would they make it DX10? There is no advantage what so ever, infact they would alienate quite a few people.

Blizzard actually said they are looking into adding DX 10 effects for those that can use them.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 onemic

Onemic.. the dreamcast just looked crisper is all... Take for example Code Veronica, Dreamcast vs PS2.. sure the PS2 had the game on one disk.. (due to DVD) but It just looked a tad crisper on the Dreamcast.. dunno.. maybe its just me. The PS2 may have had a better graphics processor.. (obviously, since Dreamcast was a full year behind it) but, at release.. the dreamcast had (for me) crisper looking graphics than the PS2.. Maybe its not true now.. but then it gave the PS2 a run for its money, just the lack of games killed the Dreamcast.. one year in and the amount of games paled in comparison with the PS2 (a year after release).

Also, the Dreamcast was still using a CD-ROM based medium.. so the PS2 seemed like a better buy due to the DVD movie playback feature. I know I used my PS2 for years as a DVD player.

Anyways.. You can say that the Atari Jaguar sux compared to the PS1.. but the point was that the Jaguar suffered from the same fate as the Dreamcast. The Jaguar was more powerful (64bit) .. but Sony (32bit) beat Atari.. through the amount of games available.

Alkpaz

I 100% agree with you when at release games on dreamcast looked better on the ps2. No doubt about it. I'm just arguing against what one person said that the dreamcast just had better looking games than the ps2 during its time that it was alive which is untrue. Sure in 2000 dreamcast games looked better, but in 2001 devs finally got used to the ps2 and titles began looking better on the ps2 in comparison to the dreamcast from that year.

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

The PS2 did have superior hardware...but a good portion of DC games were made with native vga resolutions. Shenmue through a vga box on a nice 21" viewsonic pro CRT looked better than almost everything the ps2 released in its 1st 2 years. VGA soulcalibur was also one of those games that made it quite apparent what (back then) next gen was all about. I must admit that Zone of Enders (supposedly THE game that will show off ps2's hardware capabilities) did impress and looked like something the dreamcast coulld'nt possibly do... until shenmue proved otherwise. Sucks that shenmue contributed to SEGA's decline as they didn't see a much of a return on the 80mil budget injected into the game. The game besides having more complex geometry had much larger variety of textures and much larger playfield than Sons of Liberty.

Regarding SC2, like many have stated, it would be foolish to not make the game run on modest hardware and older machines. Why cater to the 400k (and thats probably a generous guesstimate) or so peeps with dx10 cards when you can sell it to 20mil+ with lower end to moderate spec'd pc's? That high end minority WILL STILL buy the game. Heck, they can watch their own @sses get comprehensively savaged by some korean kid with a 6600gt in glorious 2560x1600 :)

Maxer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maxer9
Member since 2003 • 1486 Posts
I bet the recommended specs for Dx9 would be as low as a 6600GT, even lower. I'm very sure the game will be scalable so many gamers can enjoy the game regardless of thier computer setups. Well, as long as you dont have a Pentium III CPU, Voodoo card, or 128 mb of ram.StephenHu
If you can run Crysis with a 6600GT for DX9, expect Starcraft 2 will be lower than that.
varpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 varpad
Member since 2005 • 127 Posts

One thing is sure, the system requirements of SC2 will definitely be low compared to any other RTS. If you look at the screenshots you can already see that there is nothing graphically spectacular on them. My guess is that they want to make SC2 the "World of Warcraft" of RTS... So, they want to lure as many people as possible to the world of StarCraft and that means that the game will look and work fine even on low-end or budget systems...

I guess the game won't be in a DX10 version. Why? Well, I've read that they will be using ShaderModel 2.0 for the graphics, so if they aren't planing to use SM 3.0, why would they use DX10...

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

[QUOTE="BobSacamento"]will it be direct x 10?sSubZerOo

Joke is on you, it will be DX10.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
I'm sure that it will be much lower than say Crysis but I'm probably going to have to upgrade (or completely replace) my PC anyway.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="BobSacamento"]will it be direct x 10?GodLovesDead

Doubt it. DX10 is Vista only (something few people have) and they will want to make it available to as many people as possible.

varpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 varpad
Member since 2005 • 127 Posts
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="BobSacamento"]will it be direct x 10?capthavic

Doubt it. DX10 is Vista only (something few people have) and they will want to make it available to as many people as possible.

I agree. This definitely won't be a Microsoft game for Vista...

LouieV13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#39 LouieV13
Member since 2005 • 7604 Posts
IMO its

Pentium 4 2.0ghz / AMD Athalon 2000+ 256mb DDR RAM GeForce FX5200

Core2Duo err slowest / AMD X2 3600+ 1024mb DDR2 RAM Geforce 7600

DrDoomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DrDoomed
Member since 2003 • 11386 Posts

min spec

1ghz pro

256mb ram

32mb video card

onboard sound

xp sp2 , vista.

I trust that blizzard will get good allround compatibilty even if it isnt stated on the box.

Recommended specs are a diff kettle of fish

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

Knowing Blizzard when it comes out you might actually find a comp in the dump that'll play it at these graphics :P

concord9

That's part of the reason why WoW has so many customers.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 onemic
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="BobSacamento"]will it be direct x 10?capthavic

You do know that by making the game DX10 that can also put in support for DX9? That is what they said they're doing anyway.

Since when did everyone start thinking that if a game supports DX10 it's automatically vista only and no other OS can play it? Games won't be DX10 only for a very long time. Even now some games still put in support for DX8.(although since the release of BF2 support for DX8 has started to go down)

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
300 zerglings will slow it down some.
froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 froidnite
Member since 2006 • 2294 Posts
[QUOTE="capthavic"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="BobSacamento"]will it be direct x 10?onemic

You do know that by making the game DX10 that can also put in support for DX9? That is what they said they're doing anyway.

Since when did everyone start thinking that if a game supports DX10 it's automatically vista only and no other OS can play it? Games won't be DX10 only for a very long time. Even now some games still put in support for DX8.(although since the release of BF2 support for DX8 has started to go down)

Just bcos a game is vista exclusive, it doesn't make the game DX10 exclusive. All games that'll be released for almost this entire console generation will support DX9.

DABhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DABhand
Correct not all Vista users can use the DX10 system, its hardware dependant.
DABhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DABhand
[QUOTE="Alkpaz"]

onemic

I 100% agree with you when at release games on dreamcast looked better on the ps2. No doubt about it. I'm just arguing against what one person said that the dreamcast just had better looking games than the ps2 during its time that it was alive which is untrue. Sure in 2000 dreamcast games looked better, but in 2001 devs finally got used to the ps2 and titles began looking better on the ps2 in comparison to the dreamcast from that year.

Perhaps if you stop arguing and read that I didnt say the DC had better looking games, it had some, Shenmue being an example. I said the DC was a better machine hardware wise.

I asked why you think that, and you gave an example of a game instead of hardware. So I returned in kind and mentioned Shenmue.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="Alkpaz"]

DABhand_UK

Perhaps if you stop arguing and read that I didnt say the DC had better looking games, it had some, Shenmue being an example. I said the DC was a better machine hardware wise.

I asked why you think that, and you gave an example of a game instead of hardware. So I returned in kind and mentioned Shenmue.

And I'm saying hardware wise the dreamcast isn't as good. Go look at the specs of both of them and you'll see that the PS2's were better, in fact I'll give them to you right now:

PS2 Specs:

CPU: 128 Bit "Emotion Engine"
System Clock: 300 MHz
System Memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus
Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2 GB per second
Co-Processor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 1, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG2

Graphics
Clock Frequency: 150MHz
DRAM Bus bandwidth: 48 GB Per Second
DRAM Bus width: 2560 bits
Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)
Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons Per Second
3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 million Polygons Per Second

Audio
Number of voices: ADPCM: 48 channel on SPU2 plus definable by software
Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz (selectable)

l/O
CPU Core: Current PlayStation CPU
Clock Frequency: 33.8 MHz or 37.5 MHz (selectable)
Sub Bus: 32 Bit
Interface Types: IEEE1394, Universal Serial Bus (USB)
Communication: via PC-Card PCMCIA
Disc Media: DVD-ROM (CD-ROM compatible)

Dreamcast specs:

CPU: Hitachi SH-4, 200MHz clock rate, 360 MIPS (millions of instructions per second), 1.4 GigaFLOPS (floating-point operations per second), 128-bit 3D calculations, 64-bit data bus, 800+ MBytes/second bus bandwidth

* Graphics Core: NEC PowerVRSG, 3 million polygons/second peak rendering rate, Perspective-Correct Texture Mapping, Point, Bilinear, Trilinear and Anisotropic Mip-map filtering, Gouraud shading 32-bit z-buffer, Colored light sourcing, Full scene anti-aliasing
Hardware-based Fog, Bump mapping, 24-bit color, Hardware-based texture compression, Shadow and Light volumes, Super sampling
* Memory: 16 MB main RAM, 8 MB video RAM, 2 MB sound RAM
* Resolution: 640x448.
* Colors: 16.7 million
* Sound: Yamaha Audio Core, 32-bit RISC CPU, DSP for real-time effects, 64 sound channels, ,Full 3D sound support, Hardware-based audio compression
* Dreamcast Control Pad: Digital and analog directional controls, Dual analog triggers, Virtual Memory System data save unit
* Expansion Options: Modem: 33.6kb per second transfer rate (56kb in U.S.) Upgradable
* Operating System: Customized Microsoft Windows CE and Sega operating system
* Media: GD-ROM (GigaByte Disk-ROM) Drive - Maximum speed 12X 1.2 GigaByte capacity
* Console Dimensions: 7 7/16" X 7 11/16" X 3" , 190 mm (W) x 195 mm (H) x 78 mm (D)
* Weight: 4.4 pounds, 2.0 kg
* Release Date: November 20, 1998 (Japan), September 1999 (USA)

Comparison link

Clearly the PS2 is more powerful. Not only in specs, but in the visual quality of its games as well. And ou're crazy to think that shenmue looks better than MGS2, let alone MGS3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="DABhand_UK"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="Alkpaz"]

onemic

And I'm saying hardware wise the dreamcast isn't as good. Go look at the specs of both of them and you'll see that the PS2's were better, in fact I'll give them to you right now:

PS2 Specs:

CPU: 128 Bit "Emotion Engine"
System Clock: 300 MHz
System Memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus
Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2 GB per second
Co-Processor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 1, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG2

Graphics
Clock Frequency: 150MHz
DRAM Bus bandwidth: 48 GB Per Second
DRAM Bus width: 2560 bits
Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)
Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons Per Second
3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 million Polygons Per Second

Audio
Number of voices: ADPCM: 48 channel on SPU2 plus definable by software
Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz (selectable)

l/O
CPU Core: Current PlayStation CPU
Clock Frequency: 33.8 MHz or 37.5 MHz (selectable)
Sub Bus: 32 Bit
Interface Types: IEEE1394, Universal Serial Bus (USB)
Communication: via PC-Card PCMCIA
Disc Media: DVD-ROM (CD-ROM compatible)

Dreamcast specs:

CPU: Hitachi SH-4, 200MHz clock rate, 360 MIPS (millions of instructions per second), 1.4 GigaFLOPS (floating-point operations per second), 128-bit 3D calculations, 64-bit data bus, 800+ MBytes/second bus bandwidth

* Graphics Core: NEC PowerVRSG, 3 million polygons/second peak rendering rate, Perspective-Correct Texture Mapping, Point, Bilinear, Trilinear and Anisotropic Mip-map filtering, Gouraud shading 32-bit z-buffer, Colored light sourcing, Full scene anti-aliasing
Hardware-based Fog, Bump mapping, 24-bit color, Hardware-based texture compression, Shadow and Light volumes, Super sampling
* Memory: 16 MB main RAM, 8 MB video RAM, 2 MB sound RAM
* Resolution: 640x448.
* Colors: 16.7 million
* Sound: Yamaha Audio Core, 32-bit RISC CPU, DSP for real-time effects, 64 sound channels, ,Full 3D sound support, Hardware-based audio compression
* Dreamcast Control Pad: Digital and analog directional controls, Dual analog triggers, Virtual Memory System data save unit
* Expansion Options: Modem: 33.6kb per second transfer rate (56kb in U.S.) Upgradable
* Operating System: Customized Microsoft Windows CE and Sega operating system
* Media: GD-ROM (GigaByte Disk-ROM) Drive - Maximum speed 12X 1.2 GigaByte capacity
* Console Dimensions: 7 7/16" X 7 11/16" X 3" , 190 mm (W) x 195 mm (H) x 78 mm (D)
* Weight: 4.4 pounds, 2.0 kg
* Release Date: November 20, 1998 (Japan), September 1999 (USA)

Comparison link

Clearly the PS2 is more powerful. Not only in specs, but in the visual quality of its games as well. And ou're crazy to think that shenmue looks better than MGS2, let alone MGS3.

This forum isn't system wars.

YourOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 YourOldFriend
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts

MINIMUM

• Pentium 4 @ 2ghz
  • 512MB RAM
  • GeForce 6600 with 128MB RAM

RECOMMENDED

• Pentium 4 3.4Ghz
  • 1GB RAM
  • GeForce 7800

dbowman

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with this.

Avatar image for Theguywithshirt
Theguywithshirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Theguywithshirt
Member since 2007 • 213 Posts
SC2 will be a 32/64 bit game run off Dos :)