System Shock 2 problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts
So I finally got my copy of System Shock 2, and after numerous patchings, it finally works on XP. But I'm still encountering something weird. I can't drag and drop items or read PDA entries in use mode because my left click mouse button is still responding to the attack command. Am I just incredibly dense and missing something completely or is this a bug someone encountered before? Thank you.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

So I finally got my copy of System Shock 2, and after numerous patchings, it finally works on XP. But I'm still encountering something weird. I can't drag and drop items or read PDA entries in use mode because my left click mouse button is still responding to the attack command. Am I just incredibly dense and missing something completely or is this a bug someone encountered before? Thank you.Noldorin2646

Hmm, it's been a while since I played the game, is this a problem you've just encountered or was it like that from the start? Anyway, can't help you, other than...

Do this:

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,392

Remember a fresh install. After you've done that, try out some visual mods on ModDB. I did not have one problem running the game on XP.

Hopefully that helps.

goblight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 goblight
Member since 2003 • 422 Posts

I'm impressed you got it to run on XP! I played it on Win98 originally and it is well worth the effort! However, after reading the strangebedfellows topic, I wonder if I might just as well go out and get a cheap computer and load my Win98 up and play it that way instead?! I could also play some other XP headache games like Alien Crossfire and Crusader No regret and No remorse! Anyway best of luck

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts

[QUOTE="Noldorin2646"]So I finally got my copy of System Shock 2, and after numerous patchings, it finally works on XP. But I'm still encountering something weird. I can't drag and drop items or read PDA entries in use mode because my left click mouse button is still responding to the attack command. Am I just incredibly dense and missing something completely or is this a bug someone encountered before? Thank you.artur79

Hmm, it's been a while since I played the game, is this a problem you've just encountered or was it like that from the start? Anyway, can't help you, other than...

Do this:

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,392

Remember a fresh install. After you've done that, try out some visual mods on ModDB. I did not have one problem running the game on XP.

Hopefully that helps.

This is a bit late, but thanks anyways. I bought my copy off of a friend, so I thought maybe it was some rare glitch, but it turns out, the problem is quite common. Apparently, the control binding is glitched up, so as long as I'm using a preset control scheme it would work. Thank you again.

and to goblight, System Shock 2 is a huge pain to bring it to work on XP, but if you get newer drivers, get the 2.3 patch, XP/2000 patch, plus the multiplayer patch, and then set only one CPU to the process Shock2.exe, it should run.

Royas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Royas
Member since 2002 • 1448 Posts

Personally, I just put the CD in my drive, installed it, and ran it. Ran perfectly well under XP. Maybe I was just lucky.

edit: Oh, I also patched it, but I do that with every game I install if patches are available.

knifey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 knifey
Member since 2005 • 313 Posts

I am having the same problem but the game was fine up until now and everything worked and I can't unload guns because of the fact it isn't responding

pdkkbarnes1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pdkkbarnes1
Member since 2003 • 391 Posts

never got it working on xp

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

how horrible as it may sound, it may be some incomplete finishing of the install. Or maybe some mousedrivers that are clashing.

But yeah its a pain to get working XD Still have my disk and play it around every other year. I have never seen the problem you describe. But its a pain to install (just the actual installation of the game messes up alot).

Maybe see if there are some fan patches that could help for it?

If not then Im almost afraid that youd need to reinstall.

Vlaimir_Lem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Vlaimir_Lem86
Member since 2006 • 439 Posts
So I finally got my copy of System Shock 2, and after numerous patchings, it finally works on XP. But I'm still encountering something weird. I can't drag and drop items or read PDA entries in use mode because my left click mouse button is still responding to the attack command. Am I just incredibly dense and missing something completely or is this a bug someone encountered before? Thank you.Noldorin2646
This has nothing to do with fixing your problem... But, GOD SS2 was great! i had to say it.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

Y'all posting in a 4 year old thread.