Steam Horror Story... Just completely insane (Now with happy ending!)

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts

I'm seething with anger and I have no outlet, so I'm going to vent. (And maybe stop of a few of you from using the service)

I LOVED steam, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread for the past two years... I spent almost $1000 with the service, then this happened. I recieved an e-mail from an online acquantance. He said that he had a "gift subscription" for a steam game if I was interested. It was an official "Someone sent you a gift" using the service they provide for this sort of thing. He sent the activation code, it activated on my steam account and I played the game a little while (Dawn of War II). It wasn't my kind of game so I kinda forgot about it, about 3 weeks later...

I tried to sign on steam to play some games and see if anything was on sale and it said my account was deactivated. I knew almost immediately, it must have been that gift (there really is no free lunch). I contacted support, not getting too upset, valve never failed me before. I explained the situation (via e-mail since they don't take phone calls) and waited for my reply. The next day they explained that my gift was purchased with a stolen credit card, recieving such a gift was breaking their ToU and my account was permentely deactivated and there was no recourse. They went on to explain that all games in my account (all whopping $1000 of them) would be deactivated.

I can't get over this. I'm a resonsible gamer, never pirated software in my life... shell out a thousand dollars with the company and they cutme loose... and I didn't even do anything wrong (aside from being naive I guess).

Please read my responses in this thread, it has a little mini-saga attached... but long story short after e-mail Gabe Newell (one of the founders of valve) who apparently actually read my email... my account was reinstated!!! YAY!!! and thanks for the nice repsonses guys, I was losing my cool.

vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts

So did your acquaintance steal the credit card?

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
And thats what I don't like about Steam.
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mfp16

So did your acquaintance steal the credit card?

vitriolboy
I guess... I mean I don't really know him in real life, it was an online friend...
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
You might want to really check out the ToU and really see if they can stop you from getting the things you legitimately paid for back atleast. Also if you still have the email then that might be proof enough to get reactivated.
Avatar image for starwarsgeek112
starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 starwarsgeek112
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts

Maybe I'm just naive, but I'd think you'd be able to get your account back if you explained the situation and showed proof and everything.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mfp16

Maybe I'm just naive, but I'd think you'd be able to get your account back if you explained the situation and showed proof and everything.

starwarsgeek112
I did as well... I mean, valve is known to be one of best video game companies out there and steam is lauded. I thought they couldn't possibly do this to such a good customer. After my explaining, I got a short... curt.... e-mail response saying the gift was stolen and my account was deactivated "the account will not be reactivated"
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

Wow thats pretty bad..me myself dont use Steam anymore. Iv heard stories like yours to many times now. I have a good feeling about Impulse, maybe ill use them in the future

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
You didn't go through enough to get it back. You have to hassle them, threaten to contact the BBB, and all of that stuff.
bdever32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 bdever32
Member since 2005 • 757 Posts

You should send an email to Gabe Newell and briefly explain the situation. It might help.

vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts

In one sense you were receiving stolen goods but on the other you are a victim of credit card fraud as well. I'm sure there must be some sort of legal precedent in your defence. Contact a solicitor. This highlights how draconian companies can be when you find yourself on the wrong end of their TOU (which no one ever reads. Ever.)

Ogre_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ogre_Mage
Member since 2005 • 3202 Posts

I'm pretty sure they have to do things like this because they can get into a lot of legal trouble if they do not.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#13 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Definitely bug the crap out of them.

DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts

keep the pressure on them, dont give up

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

That's really messed up... I hope you get it sorted out! I am always worried about something happening to my Steam account as well.. as the service gets bigger and bigger, they need to step up with some of their policies and the security of the service.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

You story make no sense, why someone would sent you a code purchased with a stolen card just like that, for no reason? Personally, the second I would receive that email without a nickname of someone I know (in Rl, not just some dude from l4d), it would go directly in the garbage...

adrake4183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 adrake4183
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts

keep the pressure on them, dont give up

DDX2
yeah I would keep at it. This does seem unfair and its hard to believe this would be their policy.
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
i would be very pissed off in your position. keep e-mailing, threaten to call bbb (as someone mentioned), threaten to use impulse instead. just let them know you are right and they are wrong.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MyopicCanadian

Also, there's no need to THREATEN to call the BBB. Just do it. They're a helpful source of resolving disputes with companies...

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mfp16
I figured I'd let you guys check out the lovely e-mail I got from them.... the one where they say there contacting the authorities as well: Hello Michael, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. We have found activity in the Steam account related to fraudulent credit card use or acceptance of a gift that was purchased using a credit card that was reported stolen. Per the Steam Subscriber Agreement, we have disabled the account and any games contained in it. The account will not be reactivated. The Steam Subscriber Agreement can be found at: http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=subscriber_agreement In addition to violation of contract, said activities on the account may violate state and federal law. Valve reserves the right to refer the matter to the appropriate authorities.
Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zam
Member since 2002 • 2048 Posts

Why would someone shell out 50 bucks for a game to gift it to a person, they don't even know. Sorry, dude this is all your own fault. If they reactivate your account, that would be awful nice of them but otherwise this is your own doing. Don't blame Valve for this

astri_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 astri_14
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts

I don't think you supplied all the evidence or your leaving something out.

My friends account was compromised and he got it back within 24 hours.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
guess your just going to have to keep on emailing them
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MyopicCanadian
[QUOTE="astri_14"]

I don't think you supplied all the evidence or your leaving something out.

My friends account was compromised and he got it back within 24 hours.

The OP's account was not compromised.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

As others have said, just keep bugging them. It might take a dozen emails or so, but eventually you should get through to the higher administration.

The lesson of this story is to never accept gifts from random people online. I hope you get your account re-activated!

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#26 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts

I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for you and really question whether you are giving us all the information. You can blame Steam all you want, but this sound all very fishy to me.

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
That's as unfair as it comes, keep pestering them, send e-mails to everyone you can, post the story in forums/blogs and get some professional advice if that doesn't help. Personally if I have a choice I'll go with retail or impulse over steam anyday, even if I do like the service itself.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

I'm sorry, but I have not sympathy for you and really question whether you are giving us all the information. You can blame Steam all you want, but this sound all very fishy to me.

eclarkdog
I have a feeling we are not getting the whole truth... Something kind of confuses me too...when you get gifted a game you can just install it from steam, but in the first post the TC talks about entering some code someone sent him...
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mfp16
oh well... I can't please everyone. I'm not leaving anything out, check out the e-mail I posted from steam, they say exactly what happened... I received a stolen gift. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Why would I make this up? But if you don't believe me, then there's nothing I can do to change that.
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mfp16

[QUOTE="eclarkdog"]

I'm sorry, but I have not sympathy for you and really question whether you are giving us all the information. You can blame Steam all you want, but this sound all very fishy to me.

dnuggs40

I have a feeling we are not getting the whole truth... Something kind of confuses me too...when you get gifted a game you can just install it from steam, but in the first post the TC talks about entering some code someone sent him...

I didn't enter any code (it was a turn of phase), it was an e-mail, I clicked the link and it said it was activating on my account.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

[QUOTE="eclarkdog"]

dnuggs40

Why would he be making this up? What motive does he have to lie on an internet forum that probably can't really help him out aside from encouraging him to keep emailing Steam?

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dnuggs40

"He sent the activation code, it activated on my steam account and I played the game a little while (Dawn of War II)."

What exactly does this mean? When I used a steam gift, all it said was someone gifted me a game and I could install it normally through my games list.

Nothing about an activation code. Sounds like you got a code and entered it into steam like if you purchased a retail game and entered the code to use it in steam...

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="eclarkdog"]

BlueBirdTS

Why would he be making this up? What motive does he have to lie on an internet forum that probably can't really help him out aside from encouraging him to keep emailing Steam?

It's the internet...people lie all the time for no apparent reason at all. I am not claiming he is for sure, but something ain't making sense here...

0Tyler0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 0Tyler0
Member since 2008 • 2602 Posts
Yeap I only buy games from steam if they're a deal. Other than that, off to best buy :)
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mr_mozilla

"He sent the activation code, it activated on my steam account and I played the game a little while (Dawn of War II)."

What exactly does this mean? When I used a steam gift, all it said was someone gifted me a game and I could install it normally through my games list.

Nothing about an activation code. Sounds like you got a code and entered it into steam like if you purchased a retail game and entered the code to use it in steam...

[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"] I have a feeling we are not getting the whole truth... Something kind of confuses me too...when you get gifted a game you can just install it from steam, but in the first post the TC talks about entering some code someone sent him...dnuggs40

It's the internet...people lie all the time for no apparent reason at all. I am not claiming he is for sure, but something ain't making sense here...

Well the steam id for mfp16 seems to fit the story. I don't really have any reason not to believe him, I guess he could be making part of it up but I don't really see the point.
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

Word of warning to everyone else," #
Redeeming Fraudulent Gifts

Never accept a gift from an unknown user. Any accounts tied to a redeemed gift from a fraudulent source will be permanently disabled."

Dont accept gifts from people you dont know.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dnuggs40
Can someone explain the "activation code" thing to me then? I am not going to claim I know every scenario with steam, but when I was gifted half life 2 there was no "activation code" to "activate" what-so-ever. To me it sounds like someone sent him a CD key or something to activate on steam, not a gifted game through the service. Of course maybe since then (or with certain games) there are different scenarios in how gifting a game works...
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I don't understand Valve's policy on this issue. Why do they have to deactivate the entire account? Why can't they just deactivate the game that was stolen? A person makes one naive mistake, and they lose $1000 worth of games? That's very very unethical.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

I don't understand Valve's policy on this issue. Why do they have to deactivate the entire account? Why can't they just deactivate the game that was stolen? A person makes one naive mistake, and they lose $1000 worth of games? That's very very unethical.

Falconoffury

Why? how do they know that he wasnt in on recieving a stolen game? i mean, he can say he wasnt till hes blue in the face, but anyone could say that lie or no lie.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mfp16

UPDATE!!

OK, while I was freaking out about the account and reading responses... Someone said to e-mail Gabe Newell, and I figured what the heck, I heard he actually responds to some emails and I have a sympathic story... so heres what I wrote:

Mr. Newell,

I know you probably get 10,000 emails every 5 minutes. I heard you actually answer a lot of e-mails (hence this one). On the off chance you actually read this one please give me 2 minutes of your time.

I have been a steam user for quite a while, and during that time I've purchased over 60 games and spent upwards of $1000. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but being a high school math teacher doesn't leave me with a lot of spending money after the mortgage comes due. I recently got caught up in a steam horror situation. I received two steam gifts from on online acquaintance. I don't know him in real life, just online (and now I'm glad I don't).

Apparently, the game he "gifted" me over steam were purchased with a stolen credit card. I had no idea that anything of the sort had taken place. My steam account was deactivated. I contacted support and was told my account "would not be reactivated" and basically I lost all the games in my steam account permanently. I don't know where to go, I'm sure you don't have time for individual consumers... I love value, and virtually every game your company has developed. Please help me... all I want to do is to be able to play the games I bought with my hard earned cash.

If you read this e-mail, I sincerely appreciate your time. Please don't let the cake be a lie!?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the time that I wrote that e-mail to (what I assume is his e-mail address? I found it online) plus about 30 minutes the contents of the e-mail were actually copied to my steam support ticket about the issue. Someone actually read the thing and sent it over to steam support. I'm not getting my hopes up, because the situation makes me feel ill already. But, I seriously can't believe someone read it...

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dnuggs40

Falconoffury
If his story is in fact true, I agree, it's a crazy policy.
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mfp16

[QUOTE="Falconoffury"]

warmaster670

Why? how do they know that he wasnt in on recieving a stolen game? i mean, he can say he wasnt till hes blue in the face, but anyone could say that lie or no lie.

... and I agree with what your saying, and I say this never having pirated a game in my life, there are easier ways to go about playing a stolen game then the hoops that would be involved here...
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I don't get it, why would this person give you a free gift? Did you know him? You shoulden't just accept gifts willy nilly like that.....

I have had my account disabled for a few stupid reasons but always got it back. It sounds like you didn't read the ToU sadly and got your account deactivated. You can try to keep emailing steam about this but they are most likly not going to bring it back.

Sorry man.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mfp16
HUGE UPDATE: About 10 minutes after my e-mail to Gabe Newell was mysteriously added to my steam support ticket I get another e-mail. MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN REACTIVATED!
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dnuggs40
[QUOTE="mfp16"]HUGE UPDATE: About 10 minutes after my e-mail to Gabe Newell was mysteriously added to my steam support ticket I get another e-mail. MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN REACTIVATED!

Congrats man
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mr_mozilla
[QUOTE="mfp16"]HUGE UPDATE: About 10 minutes after my e-mail to Gabe Newell was mysteriously added to my steam support ticket I get another e-mail. MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN REACTIVATED!

That's awesome, maybe you just got april fooled by valve. :P But now on no candy from strangers...
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MyopicCanadian
HUGE UPDATE: About 10 minutes after my e-mail to Gabe Newell was mysteriously added to my steam support ticket I get another e-mail. MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN REACTIVATED!mfp16
Great news, that's awesome. Kinda wonder if Gabe the Hutt read it himself, or if one of his underlings took care of it or what. Either way that's great!
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mfp16
[QUOTE="mfp16"]HUGE UPDATE: About 10 minutes after my e-mail to Gabe Newell was mysteriously added to my steam support ticket I get another e-mail. MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN REACTIVATED!MyopicCanadian
Great news, that's awesome. Kinda wonder if Gabe the Hutt read it himself, or if one of his underlings took care of it or what. Either way that's great!

I thought that even as I was writing it, no one was ever going to read it. It felt like I was e-mail bill gates asking him to fix my copy of windows. It was just something I was doing to make myself feel better. After I wrote the e-mail, it didn't take more than 30 minutes for a copy of it to appear in my support thread at steam, then 10 minutes later I got another e-mail saying that my account had been reinstated. I'm very very excited... and very surprised that the e-mail didn't just immediately get deleted.
TheBigBadGRIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheBigBadGRIM
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
I believe this was a serious mistake in Valve's part. The OP posted Valve's e-mail response on Page 1 linking the Steam Agreement. I'm sure everyone else skipped that.........but I ACTUALLY READ THE AGREEMENT JUST NOW and no where in that page does Valve even mention anything about accepting Steam gifts, legal or not. I think what happened was Steam deactivated the account of the stolen credit card holder and the n00b in charge of it probably thought he had to deactivate yours as well. But anyway, what a relief it must be for you.