Steam account accessed from another computer. Should I be worried?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 wurd
Member since 2003 • 634 Posts

I had an email last night 6AM to say my steam account had been accessed from a new computer and should enter the code to confirm. I've changed my password and everything seems fine. Should I be worried? Could I have picked up some malware?

*sorry wrong forum

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Shared your accounts (email and Steam) with anyone? if you did, change all the passwords and never do that again, if nobody has access to your email and found out your Steam account, you're safe, especially if you already accessed it again and changed the password. Get Ad Aware free to scan for malware, spyware, etc and get AVG I guess to scan your entire computer for trojans, etc.
s_emi_xxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 s_emi_xxxxx
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts
ah, I've got it 2-3 times in past & it's really nothing to worry about. It sometimes happens when you have some sort of connection or may be IP related issue on your own PC while your already logged into Steam. Can't exactly remember what it was but I'm sure you're OK.
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

I had an email last night 6AM to say my steam account had been accessed from a new computer and should enter the code to confirm. I've changed my password and everything seems fine. Should I be worried? Could I have picked up some malware?

*sorry wrong forum

wurd

Just make sure the email is legit. Don't click on the link in the email and instead just change the password through steam. I would also do a virus scan and run a adware/malware program like spybot just to be safe.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

You should be okay. Any potential hijackers need to know your email info as well, so as long as that is secure, you should be good.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever give out your account details to anyone. Not even family or friends. While they might be the most trustowrthy people on the planet, they could unwittingly have a keylogger or something on their system, or could themselves be the victim of a phishing scam. Also check for malware, as you might have a keylogger yourself.

And make sure your passwords are nice and cryptic. A password using a mix of numbers, symbols, and upper and lower case letters makes it several thousand times harder to hack than one that just uses lowercase letters.

andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

Do you use Raptr or Garrysmod.org? They both require the Valve security code to work.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I had this happen to me before when I accessed Steam not from my regular desktop PC, but on my netbook and my mom's laptop when I was visiting parents during the holidays. Steam asked me to input a code sent via email and everything was fine. What you should be concerned about, is whether or not someone accessed your Steam account from another PC is someone you know or did someone hack into your account.
mrmaple24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrmaple24
Member since 2010 • 42 Posts
I usually get that email when trying to login to the Steam website.
wurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 wurd
Member since 2003 • 634 Posts

thanks for replies. Steam is only installed on 2 computers and both were off at the time of the email. I scanned the laptop with kasp,mwb, sas and eset and found a java downloader nothing else. I have strong passwords and don't have the same for email and steam. I'm very careful with regards to websites I visit but I recently bought king arthur and was looking for a guide. Possibly picked up something then? Do steam log the IP address of the attempt? It would be handy.

**just to add I never share passwords/emails and it def wouldn't be phising as I don't know password offhand and would need to check my diary.

deathshand707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 deathshand707
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

This happens to me randomly, I dont think anything of it.

Skeptomania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Skeptomania
Member since 2004 • 8104 Posts

I got 4 emails recently regarding changing my password. They seemed like legit emails from Valve, but I haven't tried to change my password in a long time. I'm just ignoring them and hoping nothing is going on. Gonna keep a close eye on my Steam account. Never click the links in suspicious emails that look legit. Just go straight to the real companies website if you need to.