Starting out: Should I get a Desktop or a laptop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

Hello, im gonna need to get a good gaming PC to catch up with modern humans when it comes to gaming. I haven't played games for so long now and im not a console gamer. I mostly play games (or used to) on medium settings on one of my laptops, nothing 'gaming experience' though. Last game I ever played was uh, MW2.

So let me start out by saying that even though I play games on the PC, I am a computer illiterate for the major part. Building my own PC would really be a hassle as I have to go into guides on how to build them and im a slow learner. If im gonna get a desktop im gonna have to pay someone to build it for me. Besides, let me mention that i've always been a laptop kinda guy as I get around in lan parties with my friends and whatnot. If i would want to get a desktop ill have to go though all the process of buying a desk to a mouse. But I really do wanna get to play a game on the PC without me having thinking "OH, I sure do suck because of my PC!"

So lets talk money. Im starting college now just to let you have a good idea. I currently have $4000 and im not willing to pay all of that on a gaming set. I also have no job (Please go ahead and laugh at me). I do get an allowance of $270 dollars a month (laugh at me more for mooching of my parents). But im also a very greedy man and over protective of my money (because it makes my heart bleed that im wasting my parents money and playing with it). I don't know specific prices now but i know a gaming laptop takes way much more. I myself would prefer a laptop but don't wanna feel like I wasted money and could have gotten the same specs on a desktop for a lower price. I also don't wanna worry about not being able to play future games.

What would be the best thing for me to do: get a laptop for both college work and gaming? Or get a whole desktop gaming set like most PC gamers out there?

Determine what method is my first step!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Get a gaming PC + a netbook for school.
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

Get a gaming PC + a netbook for school.MonsieurX
this desktops are much better for gaming and much more upgradeable

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts
Put aside $1200 for a gaming desktop (you can have a super machine for that money) and $800 for a laptop and you have the best of both worlds...
Capt_wowwie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Capt_wowwie
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts

In all honesty, building a PC is not difficult. If you know how to use a screwdriver and can follow directions, you're good to go. Building a PC as oppossed to buying a pre-built is gonna save you money and give the option of being upgradeable down the road. A lot of pre-built computers aren't able to be fully upgradeable, as they build them that way. On the flipside, buying a pre-built gaming computer is gonna run you a lot. I built a gaming PC for about $850, and it's able to run all newer games at high settings with ease, plus I can tinker with it as the years go by.

Go to newegg.com. There are a lot of resources available for choosing components, and they are just a good company to buy from. I'm also extremely computer illiterate, but ounce I started, the knowledge started building on itself. I now know about 500% more about computers and components then when I started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Check these videos out, and if you still don't think you can build one yourself... well I don't know what to say. Believe me, it's WELL worth the effort. There is much more pride in what you've accomplished, and you will actually know what all those high-end components you invested in can do!

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

A good gaming laptop isn't easily portable!

The whole idea of a laptop is mobile, you can buy a 300-400$ 13,6" laptop that work just great for your class'es and a 1.2k desktop to play all the games you want.

Or you can dish out 1300-1400$ for a move-able heavy chunk of nonupgradable laptop that eats battery.

I would get the best of the two, a fully capable small cheap laptop and a good gaming PC with bells and whistles that can be upgraded for some kind of longlivety.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

well if you think you're going to be on the move alot then a laptop would be good for you, otherwise a desktop is best. I say get a decent quadcore sandy bridge desktop and a cheap laptop for low end occasional gaming. A decent desktop would cost you about $800 without any of the extras like a monitor and desk, but with that included it will cost about $1200. Gaming laptops would also come to about $1200. If I had to pick i'd recommend getting a decent desktop, and then a cheap AMD APU based laptop for on the go and for some light gaming.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Gaming laptops are pretty expensive while for $4000 you probably could get a good gaming PC; however, the better solution would be that you could get a gaming PC and a cheap laptop for school for half that.

Zevante101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Zevante101
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

Get an i5 2500k, 6950/560 ti, 8GB RAM, P67 motherboard, 600+w good brand PSU desktop. If you build it would be about $800-$900. Prebuilt more like $1300-$1400. Also, as others have mentioned, get some cheapo netbook for your classes.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Learning how to build a computer is easier than learning how to drive, yes is that easy, heck is as easy as learning to ride a bike. Though you may want to stick with mid tower or smaller if you want the flexibility to haul it from dorm and home.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
600-700 dollar desktop, 400-500 dollar laptop. sit back and enjoy life.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I would reccomnd reading up how to build one, its really no harder than putting lego's together. As everyone is saying get a desktop and then a cheap laptop

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

For the best possible gaming PC you can do, go with a desktop by far!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Ill Echo what the others have allready said, get a stationary for gaming, and a laptop for school (and such) There are a bit of advantages havint it split up, like if something messes up you STILL have your work on the laptop :P

And able to move documents from the lappy to the desktop for storage if you need an extra backup.

A Gaming Laptop usually aint worth it, they get too hot, have too short a lifecycle (due to the heat), eats up battery, is heavy as hell, and overall clunky to have. + It will almost never match a desktop, oftentime noteven a midrange desktop (the Lappy GPUs almostalways perform WAY worse then thier desktop counterparts).

So it will be cheaper to have two seperate systems, way more neat and tidy, and less headaches overall. And no worry about not being able to build one yourself, PC shops tends to give pretty good offers on average.

If you are strapped for cash you could in theory go withour a lappy completely, but for schoolwork those sure are nice :\

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

Thank you everyone, i'll have to go with the process of determining whether I can build a PC myself or not and then go from there on. But ill take all of your advice on not getting a gaming laptop, ill get a laptop for school and a stationary desktop for games.

Thanks!

Uchiha_Sasuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Uchiha_Sasuke1
Member since 2002 • 1636 Posts
If you're planning on staying in an apartment or a house then I recommend buying a pc but if you really like going outside while carrying the internet for fun then you should definitely get a comfortable laptop. Laptops are easier for outings and are for carrying; but the problem is that you could be ending up getting left behind with its specs.
Zevante101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Zevante101
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

Honestly, it's probably possible to build a PC without any outside help or knowledge. Not saying you shouldn't study it, just saying it is much simpler than you would think. Only tricky part is front panel connectors, but those are easy too if you RTFM.