star citizen hits 18 million, price cuts, and guns, and overclocking oh my!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

star citizen has breached 18million in funds raised. we now all (who have backed) a free new system to explore and exploit. here are your 19mill and 20mill stretch goals.

19 million: space stations can be aquired and managed, new youtube series, free ship guide PDF file to all backers

20 million: fps arena combat on "lawless worlds"

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

also effective immedeately their will be a price cut on voyager direct EUC prices.

buggy 15k (down from 20k)

lamp & cot 2k ea. (down from 5k)

posters 1k (down from 5k)

ship model 5k (down from 10k)

workbench (no change)

weapons & tractor beam (no change)

the workbench goes unchanged as it will be used to let players overclock ship parts. also those who bought the price dropped stuff from voager direct will be getting a refund of the difference

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13249-Letter-From-The-Chairman-18-Million

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts
couldnt care less.... the game is overpriced as hell. 225 dollars for one ship? yeah it is big... but what? since when does an in game... digital item demand 225 dollars? with prices like that, this game can go to hell. even the smaller ships cost 25-110 dollars. what ever happened to the days where i could just pay 60 dollars for a game and get everything. apparently that is too much to ask anymore.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
So awesome! Very happy to hear this, always good to have a backer star system! This game is going to be fantastic, that is pretty obvious already. [QUOTE="Geminon"]couldnt care less.... the game is overpriced as hell. 225 dollars for one ship? yeah it is big... but what? since when does an in game... digital item demand 225 dollars? with prices like that, this game can go to hell. even the smaller ships cost 25-110 dollars. what ever happened to the days where i could just pay 60 dollars for a game and get everything. apparently that is too much to ask anymore.

Dude, don't be a moron. You could have got the game for $30 with a ship, those higher brackets are for people that very much wanted this game to be made so pull those panties out of that crack. I plunked down $60 and got a pretty nice mid-grade bounty hunter ship, not burned at all about that. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13068-The-300-Series-Revealed
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

couldnt care less.... the game is overpriced as hell.

225 dollars for one ship? yeah it is big... but what? since when does an in game... digital item demand 225 dollars? with prices like that, this game can go to hell.

even the smaller ships cost 25-110 dollars. what ever happened to the days where i could just pay 60 dollars for a game and get everything. apparently that is too much to ask anymore.

Geminon
You can obtain the ships in-game when it releases, w/o real $.
Priapus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Priapus101
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

So awesome! Very happy to hear this, always good to have a backer star system! This game is going to be fantastic, that is pretty obvious already. [QUOTE="Geminon"]couldnt care less.... the game is overpriced as hell. 225 dollars for one ship? yeah it is big... but what? since when does an in game... digital item demand 225 dollars? with prices like that, this game can go to hell. even the smaller ships cost 25-110 dollars. what ever happened to the days where i could just pay 60 dollars for a game and get everything. apparently that is too much to ask anymore.jer_1
Dude, don't be a moron. You could have got the game for $30 with a ship, those higher brackets are for people that very much wanted this game to be made so pull those panties out of that crack. I plunked down $60 and got a pretty nice mid-grade bounty hunter ship, not burned at all about that. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13068-The-300-Series-Revealed

Is it possible to acquire these ships listed for sale using in-game currency (i.e. credits)? 

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

couldnt care less.... the game is overpriced as hell. 225 dollars for one ship? yeah it is big... but what? since when does an in game... digital item demand 225 dollars? with prices like that, this game can go to hell. even the smaller ships cost 25-110 dollars. what ever happened to the days where i could just pay 60 dollars for a game and get everything. apparently that is too much to ask anymore.Geminon

Actually those ships are basically the different packages for funding the games development, all the ships can be bought with in game cash that you earn in game when it is released. Also buying any package from the lowest to highest nets you the full game. Cant blame you for thinking like that, the structure of the website seems unintentionally misleading and I dont think it is explained enough.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

[QUOTE="jer_1"]So awesome! Very happy to hear this, always good to have a backer star system! This game is going to be fantastic, that is pretty obvious already. [QUOTE="Geminon"]couldnt care less.... the game is overpriced as hell. 225 dollars for one ship? yeah it is big... but what? since when does an in game... digital item demand 225 dollars? with prices like that, this game can go to hell. even the smaller ships cost 25-110 dollars. what ever happened to the days where i could just pay 60 dollars for a game and get everything. apparently that is too much to ask anymore.Priapus101

Is it possible to acquire these ships listed for sale using in-game currency (i.e. credits)? 

Yeah.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="Geminon"]couldnt care less.... the game is overpriced as hell. 225 dollars for one ship? yeah it is big... but what? since when does an in game... digital item demand 225 dollars? with prices like that, this game can go to hell. even the smaller ships cost 25-110 dollars. what ever happened to the days where i could just pay 60 dollars for a game and get everything. apparently that is too much to ask anymore.pelvist

Actually those ships are basically the different packages for funding the games development, all the ships can be bought with in game cash that you earn in game when it is released. Also buying any package from the lowest to highest nets you the full game. Cant blame you for thinking like that, the structure of the website seems unintentionally misleading and I dont think it is explained enough.

i agree it sends the wrong message to many people that don't know what star citizen is.  anyone can take one look at the site and assume it's P2W because of the prices of the ships

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts
[QUOTE="jer_1"]So awesome! Very happy to hear this, always good to have a backer star system! This game is going to be fantastic, that is pretty obvious already. [QUOTE="Geminon"]couldnt care less.... the game is overpriced as hell. 225 dollars for one ship? yeah it is big... but what? since when does an in game... digital item demand 225 dollars? with prices like that, this game can go to hell. even the smaller ships cost 25-110 dollars. what ever happened to the days where i could just pay 60 dollars for a game and get everything. apparently that is too much to ask anymore.

they can insure the game will be made by charging people 60 dollars like everyone else. dont even try to pull the whole "they are doing it without the support of big money backers"..... they have investors outside of the people that did the kickstarter and buy it on the site. so i guess YOU sir, are the moron, for thinking that it is OK for a company to charge 225 dollars for a game, whether you get some big fancy ship or not. i would support the game by buying it at the normal price of a game, not at the price of my car payment for the month.... on the flip side, that is nice of them to let you get the ships with ingame money.... however im sure it will be a ridiculous grindfest to get the cash needed to buy one. im OK with playing for a couple hours a day for two weeks or so to get something i really want.... im not OK with what i have had to do in games like Lineage 2, where you have to save for 4 months to buy an A grade weapon...
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="Geminon"]

couldnt care less.... the game is overpriced as hell.

225 dollars for one ship? yeah it is big... but what? since when does an in game... digital item demand 225 dollars? with prices like that, this game can go to hell.

even the smaller ships cost 25-110 dollars. what ever happened to the days where i could just pay 60 dollars for a game and get everything. apparently that is too much to ask anymore.

Inconsistancy

You can obtain the ships in-game when it releases, w/o real $.

But people can still purchase the ships with real world currency, correct? Or at least use real money to purchase in-game currency and then buy the ships that way. Yes, you can obtain it in-game without spending money, but the way these systems are designed is to make obtaining items of significance a long and tedious process, which makes the option of using real money all the more appealing. 

The game looks like it has a ton of potential and obviously it needs to raise funds, but the business model it is employing right now is worrying. 

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jer_1
[QUOTE="Geminon"][QUOTE="jer_1"]So awesome! Very happy to hear this, always good to have a backer star system! This game is going to be fantastic, that is pretty obvious already. [QUOTE="Geminon"]couldnt care less.... the game is overpriced as hell. 225 dollars for one ship? yeah it is big... but what? since when does an in game... digital item demand 225 dollars? with prices like that, this game can go to hell. even the smaller ships cost 25-110 dollars. what ever happened to the days where i could just pay 60 dollars for a game and get everything. apparently that is too much to ask anymore.

they can insure the game will be made by charging people 60 dollars like everyone else. dont even try to pull the whole "they are doing it without the support of big money backers"..... they have investors outside of the people that did the kickstarter and buy it on the site. so i guess YOU sir, are the moron, for thinking that it is OK for a company to charge 225 dollars for a game, whether you get some big fancy ship or not. i would support the game by buying it at the normal price of a game, not at the price of my car payment for the month.... on the flip side, that is nice of them to let you get the ships with ingame money.... however im sure it will be a ridiculous grindfest to get the cash needed to buy one. im OK with playing for a couple hours a day for two weeks or so to get something i really want.... im not OK with what i have had to do in games like Lineage 2, where you have to save for 4 months to buy an A grade weapon...

So I'm a moron for backing a game that I really wanted to see made and only paid $60 to be part of it? Yeah, im just...plain...crazy. Also, $60 is NOT $225 chief. Might want to do a little research on the game before you flap your enormous yapper. You can still support and eventually own this game for only $35, dumbass.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lawlessx
If the buying of ships bother you that much just play the single player portion of the game which is called Squadron 42
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58311 Posts

they can insure the game will be made by charging people 60 dollars like everyone else. dont even try to pull the whole "they are doing it without the support of big money backers"..... they have investors outside of the people that did the kickstarter and buy it on the site. so i guess YOU sir, are the moron, for thinking that it is OK for a company to charge 225 dollars for a game, whether you get some big fancy ship or not. i would support the game by buying it at the normal price of a game, not at the price of my car payment for the month.... on the flip side, that is nice of them to let you get the ships with ingame money.... however im sure it will be a ridiculous grindfest to get the cash needed to buy one. im OK with playing for a couple hours a day for two weeks or so to get something i really want.... im not OK with what i have had to do in games like Lineage 2, where you have to save for 4 months to buy an A grade weapon...Geminon

a couple errors in your logic.

First, the game is still in development.  This means it is being funded.  Like many independent games nowadays, Star Citizen relies on crowdfunding, which is exactly what these various packages are; investment packages.  They are not necessarily purchases, though investments are rewarded in the future with a game upon release.

Second, you don't need to spend more than 60 dollars to invest in the game.  Packages currently range from 25 to 275 dollars, which reward you with anything from a basic ship to something a bit more special.

Concerning the grind, it has been addressed frequently that the game will not require huge amounts of time to get good equipment.  Obviously getting really good stuff will be both challenging and require some time, but it will not be a grind.  Add to this the diverse amount of things to do, from simple trading to exploring, and bounty hunting and piracy, and everything in between, and this game will seem the least "grindy" of anything.

Believe me, I was concerned about the whole "pay to play/pay to win" image that Star Citizen appears to cast, but the reality is far from that.  Do your research, read some previews, and more importantly understand the pedigree behind this game, and you will realize that this is a game being made by gamers who are doing it because they want to, and the money is a close second.  The fact that the crowdfunding has been so successful should be a testament to the faith we gamers place in Roberts and his capable crew.  Either that, or we are suckers :P

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
[QUOTE="Geminon"][QUOTE="jer_1"]So awesome! Very happy to hear this, always good to have a backer star system! This game is going to be fantastic, that is pretty obvious already. [QUOTE="Geminon"]couldnt care less.... the game is overpriced as hell. 225 dollars for one ship? yeah it is big... but what? since when does an in game... digital item demand 225 dollars? with prices like that, this game can go to hell. even the smaller ships cost 25-110 dollars. what ever happened to the days where i could just pay 60 dollars for a game and get everything. apparently that is too much to ask anymore.

. they can insure the game will be made by charging people 60 dollars like everyone else. dont even try to pull the whole "they are doing it without the support of big money backers"..... they have investors outside of the people that did the kickstarter and buy it on the site. so i guess YOU sir, are the moron, for thinking that it is OK for a company to charge 225 dollars for a game, whether you get some big fancy ship or not. i would support the game by buying it at the normal price of a game, not at the price of my car payment for the month.... on the flip side, that is nice of them to let you get the ships with ingame money.... however im sure it will be a ridiculous grindfest to get the cash needed to buy one. im OK with playing for a couple hours a day for two weeks or so to get something i really want.... im not OK with what i have had to do in games like Lineage 2, where you have to save for 4 months to buy an A grade weapon...

They don't have outside investors anymore. They used to during the early kickstarter campaign but now they are fully crowdfunded, it seems u hardl y know anyhting about the game but seem content just to attack. Game hasnt even come out but here you are spouting things as if they are a matter of fact. How bout we let the game at the very least enter beta first or release more info before you go condemning it as if u know it?
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

I aint ashamed to admit ive bought the pirate pack for 100$ :P

What can I say, I'm a space sim lover. Ive played EVE since launch and all of the X series to this day.

One side note... I HATE how they try and gain the PC crowd's favor by doing that whole "I'm a pc game and I'm a space sim and I AM NOT DEAD!" Thing. Everytime I look at that trailer I cringe. It's everything I hate about PC gamers these days.

Still, it's gonna be an awesome game :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

wow. that's one huge-a$$ budget. i have great expectations of this game. i love sci-fi, and i love sandbox sci-fi even more.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

wow. that's one huge-a$$ budget. i have great expectations of this game. i love sci-fi, and i love sandbox sci-fi even more.

groowagon

It's actually not that big, an average AAA game costs $30-$60 Million

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

[QUOTE="groowagon"]

HyperWarlock

yes, with probably $20 million on promotion alone. we are talking about a crowd funded game here.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ionusX

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

[QUOTE="groowagon"]

groowagon

yes, with probably $20 million on promotion alone. we are talking about a crowd funded game here.

they were originally talking a final target of 22 million. Judging by their current pace expect them to exceed that by February at the latest.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23916 Posts

couldnt care less.... the game is overpriced as hell. 225 dollars for one ship? yeah it is big... but what? since when does an in game... digital item demand 225 dollars? with prices like that, this game can go to hell. even the smaller ships cost 25-110 dollars. what ever happened to the days where i could just pay 60 dollars for a game and get everything. apparently that is too much to ask anymore.Geminon

You still can get everything ingame, this just gives you a lifetime insurance of it.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

[QUOTE="groowagon"]

HyperWarlock

a lot is advertising though.

The Witcher 2 was sub 10 million and that was brilliant.

Judging by the amount of funding they're getting they won't need to advertise much. :)

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I was pretty interested in this game when it was announced. The more they abuse the crowd funding the less likely I am to buy the game. At the moment it's an overpriced Pay to Win game that I have very little interest in playing anymore. Now they want to make a FPS sub game if we give them $20 million in advance? LMAO please die in a fire. I'll pay $60 and get a full game or I'll just pass.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I got the Arbiter package, best deal I thought, means I get a good ship with some decent equipment, no one will mess with me and leave without a scar or two. :P
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jer_1
I was pretty interested in this game when it was announced. The more they abuse the crowd funding the less likely I am to buy the game. At the moment it's an overpriced Pay to Win game that I have very little interest in playing anymore. Now they want to make a FPS sub game if we give them $20 million in advance? LMAO please die in a fire. I'll pay $60 and get a full game or I'll just pass.SKaREO
How exactly are they abusing their supporters? They aren't, plain and simple. You are easily the largest douche on these boards and I'm pretty sure RSI would be happy to not have you playing their game, giving erroneous advice, and mucking their forums up. Just stick with CS:GO, it suits you perfectly.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ionusX

I was pretty interested in this game when it was announced. The more they abuse the crowd funding the less likely I am to buy the game. At the moment it's an overpriced Pay to Win game that I have very little interest in playing anymore. Now they want to make a FPS sub game if we give them $20 million in advance? LMAO please die in a fire. I'll pay $60 and get a full game or I'll just pass.SKaREO
skareo post .. TL;DR

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I somewhat agree, all these big expensive packages are overkill, I mean there's one where you get all the ships and their alternate models. How can I compete with that on my little 325a? HOWEVER: The whole point of these packages is that you get to support the game far more financially than ever before, AND you can hijack and steal anyone else's ship from what I hear, so really you and two of your mates could in theory burn $1000 worth of someone else's money day one. It's not a "Buy now and win forever" it's more "Buy now and get an early boost".
theremixer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 theremixer
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts

Already dumped 40 dollers on a backer pack. Really excited for the full release of the 2 games.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#28 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Nice. Are there more stretch goals beyond $20m?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ionusX

Nice. Are there more stretch goals beyond $20m?illmatic87
that we know of two more

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

It seems like it's easily going to hit above $20 mil. I don't mind about these packages as they'll likely serve as early boosters. I'm just happy we're about to see a genuinely ambitious game - and a space sim at that - release with a good budget to boot. Haven't felt this excited about a game since HL2 and WoW.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Everyone who is following this game knows that they are adding the on planet FPS game, as a stretch goal, because they have been under pressure to add it since ship boarding was added, which again was added after community pressure. They also know that adding things that the community are asking for is a damn good way to get extra funding.

Everything they have done and are intending to do has been presented to everyone. Sometimes in a terrible way like the newly implemented store and sometimes in an awe inspiring way like the hangar module. C.I.G. really are the most transparent developer out there today. They have to be when you look at the money they are bringing in and when things are messed up or badly presented, they do their best as quickly as possible to clear it up. This is why they have virtually FULLY funded the game, without investors in under a year. Another $3 million and Star Citizen/Squadron 42 will be the first ever AAA quality game (or two games for the price of one) to be completely crowd funded.

Remember if this game was to be relased by a big publisher it would be $60 for Squadron 42 (complete single player game which can also be played co-op) and another $60 for Star Citizen plus what ever cash store/subscription model they decided to add to it and likely cost well over $100 million when advertising is added to the mix. With C.I.G. you can get the lot for a $30 pledge or $60 if you want a slightly (presumably) better ship and access to the Alpha and Beta test phases. Or you can wait for it to release and pay $60 and get the same as you can for $30 now.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lawlessx

cool..and ill pay $30 for star citizen and the game's single player portion of the game squadron 42. ;)

im gladly support games like this..you can continue buying what publishers are willing to create

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I so hope they don't add FPS elements on the ground.. To me this translates to Spore syndrome.. In which they promise it can do everything, which they are technically right, but that everything just happens to have the depth of a teaspoon.