Some keyboard shortcuts no longer work - beep from case

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 ulillillia
Member since 2006 • 685 Posts
Starting yesterday, this just suddenly happened.  Some keyboard shortcuts like control+C and control+V suddenly no longer work.  The most common of which is control+shift+arrows to highlight text by word or paragraph.  Control+shift+left highlights the text from the cursor position to the start of the word and is the most commonly used.  When I use it, I get a beep sound coming from the case (sort of like the POST, only around 300 Hz instead of 600 Hz (the pitch)) and it happens every time.  I can use control+A to select everything, shift+left to highlight the character to the left of the cursor, and control+left to move the cursor to the start of the word the cursor is in just fine, but not control+C, or control+shift+left.  It's happening with Firefox, Notepad, Wordpad, MSPaint, everything and it's very annoying.  I hate having to use the mouse to highlight text as using the keyboard is often 2 or 3 times faster for small bits.  The clipboard is not problematic either as I can right-click on selected text and choose copy, then use the edit menu to paste it and that works without problems.

What is causing this?  The beep coming from within the case itself (I can hear it even with my speakers turned off (and volume set to the lowest possible) so I know for sure it's coming from the case) when I do so and just yesterday, it didn't happen.  I was processing a video as I've done numerous times before (and never had this happen) and some time during this process, it just happened.
Avatar image for cummingspatrick
cummingspatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 cummingspatrick
Member since 2003 • 5083 Posts
Do you have a stuck key you didn't notice?
ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 ulillillia
Member since 2006 • 685 Posts
There are no stuck keys.  If control+left works, shift+left works, and control+shift+left doesn't, there's no way it can be a stuck key.  I can press the C key and control+A just fine without any defects, but control+C causes the case to beep.  This is the weird thing about it - why should the case even be beeping in the first place?