• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Having installed my full Pro version from MSDN, I though I'd share a few thoughts.

For starters, it's actually pretty damn good. The preview was a mess but current Metro is much better.

Few tips:

Closing an app in Metro is done by moving your cursor to the top of a screen, which turns it into a hand icon. Drag it to the bottom left of the screen.

Do yourself a favour and right-click the bottom left while you're at it. You'll be rewarded with a usefull context menu.

______

Honestly, it's very intuitive and the search function is stellar.

Metro needs to be MUCH more customizable and I really miss a permanent clock on the interface. Also, Flash is acting screwy when using a browser in Metro rather than the desktop,but must of what I've been missing has been a matter of changing old habits.

Feel free to chime in with hints of you have any ;)

Edit:

And beware of IE10 for now. Seems like there's a security breech in Java, which won't be fixed untill retail release 14 days from now.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

It very much sounds like they are adding needless steps to the equation. Having to drag the windows to close them? How is that a good idea?

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MlauTheDaft

It very much sounds like they are adding needless steps to the equation. Having to drag the windows to close them? How is that a good idea?

jer_1

It's pretty much the same thing really. I'm convinced that people won't hate it nearly as much once they actually try it out, rather than basing their opinions on the preview.

Salacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Salacon
Member since 2003 • 1460 Posts

I don't hate Metro; I just hate Metro on my desktop OS. It's ridiculous and unncessary, and it should not be included without a way to completely remove it. I know there are ways around it through third-parties and such, but it should be common sense for Microsoft that 8 should not include this. Do they really think that the average user in particular is going to like this? They hate change, and having to mess around with Metro seems to me like something that is not going to go over well.

Metro for tablets and touchscreen phones is fine, but a desktop or laptop user should not have to mess with it. I just... am amazed that Microsoft thinks this is a good idea. Oh well, that's just my thinking, though, so we'll see what happens.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MlauTheDaft

I don't hate Metro; I just hate Metro on my desktop OS. It's ridiculous and unncessary, and it should not be included without a way to completely remove it. I know there are ways around it through third-parties and such, but it should be common sense for Microsoft that 8 should not include this. Do they really think that the average user in particular is going to like this? They hate change, and having to mess around with Metro seems to me like something that is not going to go over well.

Metro for tablets and touchscreen phones is fine, but a desktop or laptop user should not have to mess with it. I just... am amazed that Microsoft thinks this is a good idea. Oh well, that's just my thinking, though, so we'll see what happens.

Salacon

Have you tried out the full version?

I have'nt really stumbled upon much/any missing functionality. Having used it for two days, most problems have been a matter of readjusting a few habits and getting to know the new layout.

Edit:

And I have'nt really had any issues with needlessly expanded "equations" either.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MlauTheDaft

Few screenshots:

TurtleSh3lls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 TurtleSh3lls
Member since 2012 • 74 Posts
I'm not a fan of the look. I honestly dont know much about Windows 8, but those screenshots make me feel like its regressing into an older, bleek looking style.
MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MlauTheDaft

I'm not a fan of the look. I honestly dont know much about Windows 8, but those screenshots make me feel like its regressing into an older, bleek looking style. TurtleSh3lls

It certainly needs a lot of customizaion options, which simply are'nt there yet.

On the other hand, Metro is far from the tablet UI it's perceived as.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

jer_1

Maybe they're preparing for the evolution of PCs into tablets.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

jer_1
As apposed to having to go through menues on all our current full screen software like games? whats the difference....
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

MlauTheDaft

It's pretty much the same thing really. I'm convinced that people won't hate it nearly as much once they actually try it out, rather than basing their opinions on the preview.

Does alt+f4 still work?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

[QUOTE="TurtleSh3lls"]I'm not a fan of the look. I honestly dont know much about Windows 8, but those screenshots make me feel like its regressing into an older, bleek looking style. MlauTheDaft

It certainly needs a lot of customizaion options, which simply are'nt there yet.

On the other hand, Metro is far from the tablet UI it's perceived as.

This. For instance we should be able to put whatever picture we want inside the non-metro-app tiles. having icons in them just ruins the overall effect of the tiles in the first place.
MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MlauTheDaft

[QUOTE="MlauTheDaft"]

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

N30F3N1X

Does alt+f4 still work?

It shuts down programs but does'nt shut down Windows.

Edit:

You could make a shortcut to the shutdown command. Check out it's parameters with shutdown -? in CMD.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MlauTheDaft

Shortkeys

4667.Keyboard_2D00_shortcuts_2D00_for_2D

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I will be skipping it unless they force us to upgrade. It seems it is best to only get every other version of Windows. So Windows XP, then 7, then 9.

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts
This just doesn't feel like a necessary upgrade to me. I skipped Vista and continued to use XP until 7 came out. I'm fine with using Windows 7 for the next few years.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

metro - no

microsoft recolecting information of my pc without my permission - no

kill switch that give microsoft the ability to block and uninstall my applications - no

windows 7 meets all my needss - yes

windows 8 - HELL NO

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

metro - no

kill switch that give microsoft the ability to block and uninstall my applications - no

windows 8 - HELL NO

Krelian-co

???????????

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22417 Posts
What about for gaming guys? Is it going to be any good?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside
What about for gaming guys? Is it going to be any good?hrt_rulz01
It will be fine. Probably even better in some games than Win7. People are just over-reacting. Get Win8 if you want touch or mobile, or get Win8 if you are building a new rig. If you don't want to upgrade, then don't, end of story.
Priapus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Priapus101
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

What about for gaming guys? Is it going to be any good?hrt_rulz01

Windows 7 vs Windows 8 Performance Comparison:

http://www.techspot.com/review/561-windows8-vs-windows7/page3.html

Based on the review linked above, Windows 8 is marginally worse or the same when compared to Windows 7 gaming performance wise. Keep in mind this is based on a small sample size of games so take this with a grain of salt.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"]What about for gaming guys? Is it going to be any good?Priapus101

Based on the review linked above, Windows 8 is marginally worse or the same when compared to Windows 7 gaming performance wise. Keep in mind this is based on a small sample size of games so take this with a grain of salt.

Is that the final Win8 version or just the release candidate?
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Krelian-co

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

metro - no

windows 8 - HELL NO

FelipeInside

???????????

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400985,00.asp

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

metro - no

windows 8 - HELL NO

Krelian-co

???????????

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400985,00.asp

Lots of people are saying it's a scare tactic and fake. And that MS never said such things???
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

This looks like meant for a tablet -.-

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

First of all, the new Start screen merely replaces the Start menu. It's also more easy to organize than the old start menu, which was more or less chains of hard to navigate cascading folder trees. The new Start screen allows you to list the desktop applications you use in a more customizable way, instead of letting the installer handle that detail for you.

Furthermore, if you don't want to use any of the "new" applications on your PC, it's possible to delete most of them (except for IE10 and the Store).

Also, if you like Windows 7 as it is, then don't upgrade! No one is forcing anyone to upgrade to anything.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Please tell me the improvements aren't just cosmetic and the OS actually performs better than 7...

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
I don't think i'm going to upgrade as W7 is doing great for me at this point. I'm contemplating building a new and if I do, I'll probably try Windows 8 for a month or 2 and see if I like it.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Metro is god awful for desktop PCs and nothing will convince me otherwise. Under the hood Win8 might be superior to Win7 but the UI just kills it. Also I don't like Microsoft's attempt to close the market on their OS. The reason they are where they are is because of the openness of previous versions of windows. Perhaps they should think about that.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"]What about for gaming guys? Is it going to be any good?FelipeInside
It will be fine. Probably even better in some games than Win7. People are just over-reacting. Get Win8 if you want touch or mobile, or get Win8 if you are building a new rig. If you don't want to upgrade, then don't, end of story.

Probably worse; I remember when in W95/98/XP EAX was de facto the audio standard for most og the videogames industry and how a mesh was Vista, disabling the EAX support ,and how poorly is currently done the audio surround in most of the games of our time. This time isn't even a major DirectX upgrade -well, DX10/11 wasn't a game changer, also- so W8 seems to me as a rebranded W7 with unappealing cosmetic changes.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
the improved aspect of Win 8 is the task manager. I hated the clusterf*** Metro is.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I dont even know how people interact with metro. Its most prominant aspects is the start menu... And i never even use it on Windows 7. Windows key, start typing, press enter. Same process on 8 as it is on 7.

What exactly is the issue?

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 The_Capitalist

I dont even know how people interact with metro. Its most prominant aspects is the start menu... And i never even use it on Windows 7. Windows key, start typing, press enter. Same process on 8 as it is on 7.

What exactly is the issue?

XaosII

1. People have not yet used Windows 8 yet and are drawing conclusions from first impressions.

2. People, in general, are very conservative and do not take major changes lightly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Only thing I like about it is the speed. Boot times are insane now and everything runs really smooth. I still find the metro gui unnecessary though.

Dat 64 bit Professional Enterprise for free

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Krelian-co

This looks like meant for a tablet -.-

alan_carter

it is, none of the features are worth for normal pcs and laptops and the performance is the same as windows 7.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11699 Posts

[QUOTE="Priapus101"]

[QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"]What about for gaming guys? Is it going to be any good?FelipeInside

Is that the final Win8 version or just the release candidate?

That is because those were quick drivers released by AMD and Nvidia. Once Windows 8 releases and we get better driver support, game performance should be on par or better with Windows 8. Windows 8 uses a a new WDDM 1.2 driver model.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

NO FRIGGIN' WAY I'm gonna buy this stupid Windows 8. It has changed so much that one cannot even recognize its a Windows OS. The Metro UI is totally unnecessary, and it really sucks. I certainly feel Microsoft have dug their own grave with this OS, mainly due to this ridiculous Metro UI, which is only fit for tablets and cell phones. The ONLY thing which might have convinced me to switch to Windows 8 was if there was a major DirectX update like DirectX 12, but its not there. Anyone remember Windows Millennium Edition? Windows 8 is probably heading in that direction. Unfortunate, since Windows 7 is a terrific OS.

One question for those who have tried the final version of Windows 8. Is it mandatory to use that crappy Metro UI, or is there away to disable it and use Windows 8 like previous Windows versions?

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 The_Capitalist

NO FRIGGIN' WAY I'm gonna buy this stupid Windows 8. It has changed so much that one cannot even recognize its a Windows OS. The Metro UI is totally unnecessary, and it really sucks. I certainly feel Microsoft have dug their own grave with this OS, mainly due to this ridiculous Metro UI, which is only fit for tablets and cell phones. The ONLY thing which might have convinced me to switch to Windows 8 was if there was a major DirectX update like DirectX 12, but its not there. Anyone remember Windows Millennium Edition? Windows 8 is probably heading in that direction. Unfortunate, since Windows 7 is a terrific OS.

One question for those who have tried the final version of Windows 8. Is it mandatory to use that crappy Metro UI, or is there away to disable it and use Windows 8 like previous Windows versions?

funkyzoom

No. No way to disable the new Start screen. Sucks, but Windows 7 will still be supported for a few more years.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

The_Capitalist

No. No way to disable the new Start screen. Sucks, but Windows 7 will still be supported for a few more years.

OMG! What the hell were Microsoft guys thinking? I mean...how is it even possible for consumers to like the Metro UI on a desktop?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

funkyzoom

OMG! What the hell were Microsoft guys thinking? I mean...how is it even possible for consumers to like the Metro UI on a desktop?

Learn to use it first, some people are actually saying it's better than the classic menu. Also, there are 3rd party FREE apps that disable the Metro Menu and give you back ur beloved start menu that you seem so hard to let go of....
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

FelipeInside

Learn to use it first, some people are actually saying it's better than the classic menu. Also, there are 3rd party FREE apps that disable the Metro Menu and give you back ur beloved start menu that you seem so hard to let go of....

Final version of Win 8 will have no legacy coding for the old start menu which means most of those 3rd party apps that re-enable it will not work. The only ones that will work are UI addition based apps(custom UI fromscratch) Also thing which will make people angry is the fact that you can not fully get away from Metro to do certain tasks, and sometimes some tasks in desktop mode will automatically open up the Metro UI. Dont fix whats not broken, A tablet UI on a desktop is pointless.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

04dcarraher

Final version of Win 8 will have no legacy coding for the old start menu which means most of those 3rd party apps that re-enable it will not work. The only ones that will work are UI addition based apps(custom UI fromscratch) Also thing which will make people angry is the fact that you can not fully get away from Metro to do certain tasks, and sometimes some tasks in desktop mode will automatically open up the Metro UI. Dont fix whats not broken, A tablet UI on a desktop is pointless.

There's a 3rd Party App already out that works with the RTM Version of Windows 8 (which is the full version). Can't remember the name.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#44 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Whats wrong with Windows 7? I paid $100 for 64x at the beginning of the year when I already had 32. Thats enough!! :(
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

04dcarraher

I agree with this.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Krelian-co

04dcarraher

windows 7 has everything a normal pc and laptop user needs, but not releasing more OS is not profitable for micro$oft so they need to add garbage features to sell it to people.

So it's not broken but if they don't fix it, it won't sell. It's a businbess after all.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Learn to use it first, some people are actually saying it's better than the classic menu. Also, there are 3rd party FREE apps that disable the Metro Menu and give you back ur beloved start menu that you seem so hard to let go of....Krelian-co

windows 7 has everything a normal pc and laptop user needs, but not releasing more OS is not profitable for micro$oft so they need to add garbage features to sell it to people.

So it's not broken but if they don't fix it, it won't sell. It's a businbess after all.

Windows 7 is still selling like crazy, it has surpassed Windows XP sales from 2001 to 2009.... Forcing redundant changes onto people will cause problems and Windows 8 will become another poor seller.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 XaosII

Whats wrong with Windows 7? I paid $100 for 64x at the beginning of the year when I already had 32. Thats enough!! :( biggest_loser

Why would you do that? The key for 64 and 32 are the same. You didn't need to repurchase Win 7 at all. In fact, you an download the 64 bit ISO from Microsoft's store (for free, legally) if you wanted to: http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 XaosII

Windows 7 is still selling like crazy, it has surpassed Windows XP sales from 2001 to 2009.... Forcing redundant changes onto people will cause problems and Windows 8 will become another poor seller. 04dcarraher

Theres not redundant changes in Windows 8. Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 in nearl;y every way. Im fairly certain you couldn't name me 3 notable changes in Windows 8 that dont involve metro because its the only thing you've focused on.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] Windows 7 is still selling like crazy, it has surpassed Windows XP sales from 2001 to 2009.... Forcing redundant changes onto people will cause problems and Windows 8 will become another poor seller. XaosII

Theres not redundant changes in Windows 8. Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 in nearl;y every way. Im fairly certain you couldn't name me 3 notable changes in Windows 8 that dont involve metro because its the only thing you've focused on.

Lol, Metro is the whole problem with Win 8 :roll:

you can not get away from Metro its integrated into win 8, which means forcing redundant changes.