So how is Onlive going to work.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 streetridaz
Member since 2003 • 3276 Posts

You pay 4.99 a month plus membership fee. Do you buy each game too. I just wonder how good this will be for gaming. It has pros and cons. I understand that these servers will stream the game to you. So is everyone maxing out games and paying like nothing to play them or how do the fees work. I'm just so curious. How can you push that much data that fast. You obviously will have to have a good broadband connection. I can't see a 150k dsl account working very well. Can you play online with everyone or only people playing there service and then it looked like you needed a special controller right.

Bloodymassacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Bloodymassacre
Member since 2007 • 391 Posts

You buy the games just like you would on steam, hopefully a bit cheaper than store prices since no packaging costs, but we'll see. You don't need a special controller, the mouse+keyboard works fine. You can play online with anyone else, but they must be paying to play as well...because as soon as you stop paying, you lose your games (since it's a streaming service, HUGE downfall). And the streaming is fast and I had no lag, however I do have a 10 mbit connection internet, but it was top quality games, no lag (that I noticed).

Edit- I played the beta for a few days, how I know about the know lag etc...

usule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 usule
Member since 2003 • 1734 Posts

You buy the games just like you would on steam, hopefully a bit cheaper than store prices since no packaging costs, but we'll see. You don't need a special controller, the mouse+keyboard works fine. You can play online with anyone else, but they must be paying to play as well...because as soon as you stop paying, you lose your games (since it's a streaming service, HUGE downfall). And the streaming is fast and I had no lag, however I do have a 10 mbit connection internet, but it was top quality games, no lag (that I noticed).

Edit- I played the beta for a few days, how I know about the know lag etc...

Bloodymassacre

I may have not understood well, but when you said you can play online with anyone else, are you talking about "anyone else who has onlive" or "anyone else who has the same game but not on "onliVE". ?? thanks

Bloodymassacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bloodymassacre

Hmmm, now that I am unsure of, but I'm thinking most likely it's pointing to only people with onlive AND that game. However if anyone knows different, correct me.

It has some pretty cool features in that aspect though...your friends on onlive, you can watch them anytime "Live" playing games (maybe you want to see a game they have, you're unsure about getting...)..and then you can even make "brag clips" (forgot the real name) where you just capture 15 seconds in a game, and post it for ANYONE (not just friends) to view.

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Very poorly

This is Unreal Tournament III on the PC running on max settings:

Now this is Unreal Tournament III running on OnLive at 720p:

Need I say more?

streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 streetridaz

Lol wow that does suck.

Bloodymassacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bloodymassacre

Really? The Crysis Wars game looked pretty amazing on mine (note I haven't played it "maxed out")...and they didn't even have the bigger resolutions released yet. Even still, I would've gladly taken that over my computer, hands down.

streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 streetridaz
well yeah if your used to an out of date computer playing games that are on low settings and stuff this would be awesome.I guess for those of us that are used to playing with max graphics at 50-100fps are a little taken back. What can you expect though your streaming all this data. lol
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

well yeah if your used to an out of date computer playing games that are on low settings and stuff this would be awesome.I guess for those of us that are used to playing with max graphics at 50-100fps are a little taken back. What can you expect though your streaming all this data. lolstreetridaz

Yeah, but you can build a PC that can run most UE3 games and even Crysis for less than 400 bucks, this is just insane, if it can't even run UTIII I don't even want to think what will happen with games like AvP, The Last Remnant, Metro 2033 or even ArmA 2.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

If I were to pay for such a service I'd expect it to run GTA 4 on max resolution with a very good framerate. NVM the quality of the streaming, it should run games perfectly on their end.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

[QUOTE="streetridaz"]well yeah if your used to an out of date computer playing games that are on low settings and stuff this would be awesome.I guess for those of us that are used to playing with max graphics at 50-100fps are a little taken back. What can you expect though your streaming all this data. lolKillerJuan77

Yeah, but you can build a PC that can run most UE3 games and even Crysis for less than 400 bucks, this is just insane, if it can't even run UTIII I don't even want to think what will happen with games like AvP, The Last Remnant, Metro 2033 or even ArmA 2.

Yeah, i remember people saying that Onlive will put pc back on the game but no one predicted the high requirements and that games will look like crap. So whats the point again?
Bloodymassacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bloodymassacre

But that's what it's meant for...if you have an high end computer, there's no point really. The point is, you can have the worst computer ever, as long as you have an internet connection you can play games on high settings. None of the games I played looked like "crap" and I was quite impressed.

BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts

You purchase each game at full retail price, on top of that you pay a monthly subscription to play your games. Once you stop paying the fee you won't have any access to your games at all. Onlive is pretty silly. You'd have to be a moron to fall for it.

Same_Jeans_On

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Same_Jeans_On
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts

You purchase each game at full retail price, on top of that you pay a monthly subscription to play your games. Once you stop paying the fee you won't have any access to your games at all. Onlive is pretty silly. You'd have to be a moron to fall for it.

BDK-Soft
Yeah it is a pretty bad deal, but good if your computer is unable to handle said games. Although when it was first announced I was under the impression it would work in a way that there was a hihger subscription charge but you didn't have to purchase the games. Clearly I either misread or this idea has been scrapped.