Sleeping Dogs: What's not to like?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
I held off playing this game because of my backlog and my god, I love it. Why has it only received average to good reviews? good story, combat,vehicles, graphics and music. It's the best game I have played in a while.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#2 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
probably coz it's easy to say that it copies other games, thought it was great myself.
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
The car ram button...:lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

It is an insanely good game ^^

For the score I think that it is because it borrows a bit too heavily to let it slide, although it is not really that much of a detriment (considering that it all works together)

It is a bit clubky in areas, and some aspects are slightly bad.

The overall package and more importantly the story however are likely the best Ive seen in that type of game (Just wish the Cop part of the story were a bit less negative).

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I really liked the game. Probably some people will say the story was not overly original, but I found it entertaining. I do wish the graphics options were a little better, like the AA options, and that they would separate the sprint and vault buttons. Also it was a little unoptimized on first release

kai_311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kai_311
Member since 2004 • 444 Posts
Yes it is a good game, I enjoyed it a lot. It's a game that made me go back to GTA4 and finished it.
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

I have no right to state what others should think is a bad/good game, but saying it was an insanely good game is exaggerating it imo.

Alex_Baratheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Alex_Baratheon
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts

I think it got those avergae reviews because there are already too many GTA clones out there on the market.

But, I think that most of the would be GTAs fail miserably, and Sleeping Dogs was one of the few that succeeded in being a good game, and it wasn't just a copy of GTA.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I think it got those avergae reviews because there are already too many GTA clones out there on the market.

But, I think that most of the would be GTAs fail miserably, and Sleeping Dogs was one of the few that succeeded in being a good game, and it wasn't just a copy of GTA.

Alex_Baratheon
I just got bored of it. Maybe I should play a bit more than a couple of hours???
Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts
[QUOTE="Alex_Baratheon"]

FelipeInside
I just got bored of it. Maybe I should play a bit more than a couple of hours???

Probably. I've got 30+ hours in it and still haven't finished. I love it. The open world isn't great but the side activities have kept me busy. The combat is just so damn fun too.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Overall, Sleeping Dogs is a good game but the combat just doesn't have the flow I'm looking for. I got it through steamtrades (traded L4D2+BF3 standard) for it and I have no regrets. The game has been on numerous sales for as low as $11-12.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

it's an excellent excellent game, just needs more things to do in the small world you have

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19581 Posts
I think it's a fine game, but I also had a few issues with the story (it has some glaring weak points, like the 'stop the triads from stealing a cake, and beat up monks for flowers' mission, and so on), and the combat was way too easy to stay engaging. I got bored of it before the end, and never got back to it. Still a good buy though.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I finished it myself a few days ago.

It's a prime example of doing nothing original but managing to do everything well. The story is the weakest point I suppose, so anyone familiar with that kind of media knows what to expect. It's one of the few open world games where I actually enjoyed all aspects of gameplay. Usually with open-world games there is at least one area where I have a serious problem be it the platforming, driving, shooting, hand to hand combat, etc. Not so much in Sleeping Dogs. It flows quite well.

Story is a little on the short end (only 30 missions that go by pretty quickly) and there isn't as much to do in other games of the genre but the game world is pretty solid.

Game ran smooth for me as well

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
I liked the game, but there is really nothing interesting to do after you beat the story. The City is awfully linear and there aren't many places to explore that weren't required in the story mode.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Because it's the same GTA3 formula we've been seeing for over a decade. For what it is though, it does look damn good. I'd pick it up if I didn't have other 'open world timesinks' to play.