Skyrim disable VSync tweak not working for me....help?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

Ok so I began tweaking skyrim slightly with the tweaks found here:http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/11/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweaks-improve-graphics-disable-vsync-change-fov-and-more/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

To disable VSync it says: Disable Vsync

Access the SkyrimPrefs.ini again and add iPresentInterval=0 to the bottom of the [Display] section. This can improve a sluggish framerate and eliminate instances of mouse lag. Thanks to tweak guides for this one.

Ok so I did that precisely, however my frame rate is still locked to 60 and in some outdoor areas 30. I really want to get this turned off to even out my FPS.

Heres a picture of the folder, everything seems to be done perfectly but it is not working:http://imageshack.us/f/41/skyrimm.png/

Can anyone help? Any tips? Why the hell isnt Vsync an option that comes with the game!?!?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I don't even have iWaterReflectHeight and Width in my ini file. Are you suppose to first add those or something? I checked it myself from top to bottom and I also used the edit: find and nothing shows up. Weird..
Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

Nope I didnt add anything besides that one line for the Vsync, which refuses to work. God dammit.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

Nope I didnt add anything besides that one line for the Vsync, which refuses to work. God dammit.

Crypt_mx

Force it off in ur nvidia cPanel...

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Elann2008
Crypt, make sure you're in the documents>skyrim>skyrimpref.ini. Not the skyrimpref in the steamapps>common>skyrim.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Elann2008
Sorry for double posting. Tried all the possible tweaks for frame rate lag.. none of them do a thing. Frame rate jumps around like crazy. You could stand right by the river at Rivercreek. Turn and look into any direction and stand still after each turn. Look at your fps counter.. and it's 32fps... 58 in one direction... turn again... 45fps.. another directon 60fps. I'm just going to wait for a patch.. and continue to play it this way. It's not like I have a choice.
pentamaroonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pentamaroonis
Member since 2007 • 251 Posts

Crypt, make sure you're in the documents>skyrim>skyrimpref.ini. Not the skyrimpref in the steamapps>common>skyrim. Elann2008
Thanks!

HVeTz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HVeTz
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I've got the same problem, in some areas, if I leave game idle it'll jump from 40-60 down to 30.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

I've got the same problem, in some areas, if I leave game idle it'll jump from 40-60 down to 30.

HVeTz
If that's happening when idle it's more likely some hardware going into power saving. Most likely the CPU which is easy enough to turn off in the BIOS. However why do you care what the idle FPS is?
simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

Sorry for double posting. Tried all the possible tweaks for frame rate lag.. none of them do a thing. Frame rate jumps around like crazy. You could stand right by the river at Rivercreek. Turn and look into any direction and stand still after each turn. Look at your fps counter.. and it's 32fps... 58 in one direction... turn again... 45fps.. another directon 60fps. I'm just going to wait for a patch.. and continue to play it this way. It's not like I have a choice. Elann2008

Ummm you know that what your saying makes no sense right. Of course if you face different directions, you will get a different framerate. There are different things to render in each place you look.

You can be standing towards a field and have 60fps, towards a forest and have 50fps and towards a city and have 30fps. Different sites have different rendering required.

That said, I don't own this game, I'm just speaking in what happens in EVERY game lol

andicole0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 andicole0
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Crypt, make sure you're in the documents>skyrim>skyrimpref.ini. Not the skyrimpref in the steamapps>common>skyrim. Elann2008
I found putting the "iPresentInterval=0" text in skyrim.ini worked. Inserted at the end of the display section. Adding it to the skyrimpref.ini didn't do anything. Frame rate went from 60 to 90+ Andi.
f22rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 f22rf
Member since 2003 • 1100 Posts
Why would anyone want to disable V-sync? for the juice? In that case it's understandable..
CHANCESUNDANCE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CHANCESUNDANCE
Member since 2006 • 805 Posts

Try enb speedhack.

it gets rid of many graphical problems and you can tweak it even further :

http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 simardbrad

Why would anyone want to disable V-sync? for the juice? In that case it's understandable..f22rf

Why would anybody want to enable V-Sync? To get lower performance?

See what I did there?

sirlag01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 sirlag01
Member since 2008 • 445 Posts

[QUOTE="f22rf"]Why would anyone want to disable V-sync? for the juice? In that case it's understandable..simardbrad

See what I did there?

This.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Sorry for double posting. Tried all the possible tweaks for frame rate lag.. none of them do a thing. Frame rate jumps around like crazy. You could stand right by the river at Rivercreek. Turn and look into any direction and stand still after each turn. Look at your fps counter.. and it's 32fps... 58 in one direction... turn again... 45fps.. another directon 60fps. I'm just going to wait for a patch.. and continue to play it this way. It's not like I have a choice. simardbrad

Ummm you know that what your saying makes no sense right. Of course if you face different directions, you will get a different framerate. There are different things to render in each place you look.

You can be standing towards a field and have 60fps, towards a forest and have 50fps and towards a city and have 30fps. Different sites have different rendering required.

That said, I don't own this game, I'm just speaking in what happens in EVERY game lol

Doesn't happen in every game. There are only a few games I could name that has horrible optimization like Skyrim. Most games I've played this year run 60fps in every direction I turn... so I don't have a clue what you're trying to disapprove. You basically admitted that Skyrim cannot handle itself that it can't render everything in its game world in every direction at 60fps? Poor optimization. And you just made yourself look like a fool more because you didn't even play the game so how is your word more valid than mine when I have played the game for 11 hours. It doesn't happen in every game, and it happens in very few games that are poorly optimized. Since you never played the game, at the introduction of Skyrim when you are riding the carriage you will see exactly what I mean. The frame rate is jumping from 50 to 20, and even 10fps range... and you're just looking forward while sitting on the carriage. But thanks for your useless comment which proves nothing.
kaplis117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kaplis117
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

this game is console port

middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 middle-earth88
Member since 2006 • 1262 Posts

Why would anyone want to disable V-sync? for the juice? In that case it's understandable..f22rf

Mouse lag mainly, as a rule I never enable V-sync, even on old games where I get over 300 fps.

You need to add it to skyrim.ini not skyrimprefs.ini

trogdorjw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 trogdorjw
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Sorry for double posting. Tried all the possible tweaks for frame rate lag.. none of them do a thing. Frame rate jumps around like crazy. You could stand right by the river at Rivercreek. Turn and look into any direction and stand still after each turn. Look at your fps counter.. and it's 32fps... 58 in one direction... turn again... 45fps.. another directon 60fps. I'm just going to wait for a patch.. and continue to play it this way. It's not like I have a choice. Elann2008

Doesn't happen in every game. There are only a few games I could name that has horrible optimization like Skyrim. Most games I've played this year run 60fps in every direction I turn... so I don't have a clue what you're trying to disapprove. You basically admitted that Skyrim cannot handle itself that it can't render everything in its game world in every direction at 60fps? Poor optimization. And you just made yourself look like a fool more because you didn't even play the game so how is your word more valid than mine when I have played the game for 11 hours. It doesn't happen in every game, and it happens in very few games that are poorly optimized. Since you never played the game, at the introduction of Skyrim when you are riding the carriage you will see exactly what I mean. The frame rate is jumping from 50 to 20, and even 10fps range... and you're just looking forward while sitting on the carriage. But thanks for your useless comment which proves nothing.

I'm sorry you think you know what you're talking about, but you don't. VSYNC limits the maximum frame rate to your monitor's refresh rate, which would be 60 in most cases. If it can't run at >60 FPS, with VSYNC you will then get half your refresh rate (30 FPS), or 1/3 the refresh rate (20 FPS), etc. This isn't very good for smooth gaming. What you're describing of "most games are at a constant 60FPS" is what happens when a game is made in such a way that every area is simple enough to get higher frame rates. It's partly optimizations, yes, but it's also optimizations by reducing complexity. If Skyrim were to only draw the area that's within 200 feet of your character, for instance, frame rates would be higher. Or they could put winding canyons everywhere to block your field of view. That would make for a rather unimpressive experience, don't you think? So before you call people fools, go get some education on what exactly you're seeing. Variable frame rates are typical and particularly so for complex RPGs with wide open spaces.
Marikhen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Marikhen
Member since 2004 • 172 Posts

It's quite simple. Vsync can, and for at least some games does, significantly lower your frame rate. Case in point, World of Warcraft. I can choose to either cruise around at 80-90 FPS or I can enable vsynch and cruise around at a variable rate between 40 and 60 FPS. Another issue is when developers code in a variable vsync limit and as a result you get capped at 30 FPS even though you'd otherwise be playing at a consistent 40-50 FPS. World of Warcraft is bad about this in some zones. I first realized the game did it in Scholozar Basin where with vsync on I was seeing 30 FPS everywhere despite pulling 40+ without it.

Two very good reasons right there. It can lower your frame rate to below the vsync cap, and if said cap is variable having your frame rate between preset limits could result in a lower frame rate than you "should" be getting.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#22 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
I found that disabling V-Sync actually caused a few visual issues for me, so I re-enabled it.
mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mr_zombie60
Member since 2007 • 560 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="simardbrad"]

trogdorjw

I'm sorry you think you know what you're talking about, but you don't. VSYNC limits the maximum frame rate to your monitor's refresh rate, which would be 60 in most cases. If it can't run at >60 FPS, with VSYNC you will then get half your refresh rate (30 FPS), or 1/3 the refresh rate (20 FPS), etc. This isn't very good for smooth gaming. What you're describing of "most games are at a constant 60FPS" is what happens when a game is made in such a way that every area is simple enough to get higher frame rates. It's partly optimizations, yes, but it's also optimizations by reducing complexity. If Skyrim were to only draw the area that's within 200 feet of your character, for instance, frame rates would be higher. Or they could put winding canyons everywhere to block your field of view. That would make for a rather unimpressive experience, don't you think? So before you call people fools, go get some education on what exactly you're seeing. Variable frame rates are typical and particularly so for complex RPGs with wide open spaces.

I'm just going to step in here real quick and assume you havent played the game either... Even when you're not in open spaces the game still has inconsistent frame rates... Say you go into a house (such as Drela's Cottage), the game's frames go to utter **** Sooo... You're wrong, sir.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Elann2008

[QUOTE="trogdorjw"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Doesn't happen in every game. There are only a few games I could name that has horrible optimization like Skyrim. Most games I've played this year run 60fps in every direction I turn... so I don't have a clue what you're trying to disapprove. You basically admitted that Skyrim cannot handle itself that it can't render everything in its game world in every direction at 60fps? Poor optimization. And you just made yourself look like a fool more because you didn't even play the game so how is your word more valid than mine when I have played the game for 11 hours. It doesn't happen in every game, and it happens in very few games that are poorly optimized. Since you never played the game, at the introduction of Skyrim when you are riding the carriage you will see exactly what I mean. The frame rate is jumping from 50 to 20, and even 10fps range... and you're just looking forward while sitting on the carriage. But thanks for your useless comment which proves nothing.mr_zombie60

I'm just going to step in here real quick and assume you havent played the game either... Even when you're not in open spaces the game still has inconsistent frame rates... Say you go into a house (such as Drela's Cottage), the game's frames go to utter **** Sooo... You're wrong, sir.

Thank you for backing me up. This is also true for me. But it's really easy for someone to tell another to go get some ejamucation even though they don't know you. The internetZ the madness! Yeah, he's so wrong on so many levels because Oblivion on mods for me runs 60fps without a hitch, everywhere and anywhere in the game. So that proves his open world RPG excuse wrong on so many levels it's not even funny.
cooloutac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cooloutac
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts
I mean it won't cap your fps so you will get more frames in cases as shown on fraps. but for me i don't need more then 60 in skyrim. and the problem is, as in my case, when disabling vsync, the screen tearing on my lcd screen is atrocious and the microstuttering gets 10x worse.
mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mr_zombie60
Member since 2007 • 560 Posts

[QUOTE="mr_zombie60"]

[QUOTE="trogdorjw"] I'm sorry you think you know what you're talking about, but you don't. VSYNC limits the maximum frame rate to your monitor's refresh rate, which would be 60 in most cases. If it can't run at >60 FPS, with VSYNC you will then get half your refresh rate (30 FPS), or 1/3 the refresh rate (20 FPS), etc. This isn't very good for smooth gaming. What you're describing of "most games are at a constant 60FPS" is what happens when a game is made in such a way that every area is simple enough to get higher frame rates. It's partly optimizations, yes, but it's also optimizations by reducing complexity. If Skyrim were to only draw the area that's within 200 feet of your character, for instance, frame rates would be higher. Or they could put winding canyons everywhere to block your field of view. That would make for a rather unimpressive experience, don't you think? So before you call people fools, go get some education on what exactly you're seeing. Variable frame rates are typical and particularly so for complex RPGs with wide open spaces.Elann2008

Thank you for backing me up. This is also true for me. But it's really easy for someone to tell another to go get some ejamucation even though they don't know you. The internetZ the madness! Yeah, he's so wrong on so many levels because Oblivion on mods for me runs 60fps without a hitch, everywhere and anywhere in the game. So that proves his open world RPG excuse wrong on so many levels it's not even funny.

No problem :P I feel your pain ahahah. Some people just feel the need to spread their arrogance.

Tis a shame Skyrim has such hitches.. sometimes it can even make me a bit dizzy when it goes from choppy to flawlessly smooth. Oh well, still a great game!!!

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

kaplis117
so why does it have issues with performance on console? its an old engine that is being pushed way past what it can do. Best thing to do for now is to play on high instead of ultra.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="simardbrad"]

trogdorjw

most games dont handle vsync that way, although some do. Im wondering if skyrim has the same 64hrtz vsync bug older games in the series had. If it does capping framerate with dxtory or some other similar program would help, you could combine that with turning vsync off. The thing about turning vsync off is that if the framerate goes much higher than 60 fps you may have bugs with the physics. And the techniques you are talking about are used in games like uncharted and crysis 2, people drool over those games.

cooloutac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cooloutac

[QUOTE="kaplis117"]

TerrorRizzing

so why does it have issues with performance on console? its an old engine that is being pushed way past what it can do. Best thing to do for now is to play on high instead of ultra.

I agree.

I do get frame rate issues in the cities. and it is very noticeable once the game goes under 60 fps. And this wouldn't be a big deal, if it wasn't for the fact there is action that happens in the cities. and you might have to fight in the city... so 15 fps in markrath is not gonna be enjoyable on ultra haha.

so what I do is i play the game mostly on high. the dungeons and the outside world when exploring run great. I can't say enough how amazing it is you notice no loading of new areas in the outside world...

but Its just the cities that really take a HUGE hit...so if there is a scene in a big open area or in a city and its dropping to 30fps, which happens sometimes... I'll put it on medium, and then put it back on high again after i complete that quest. its really annoying i have to do that though, but at least there is not that much fighting action that happens in cities...

amd phenom 820 x4 2.8ghz,ati HD 5870 1gb, 6gb ddr3 1333mhz...

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

If I remember correctly, the latest patched disabled some configuration-options.

Marikhen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Marikhen
Member since 2004 • 172 Posts

The thing about turning vsync off is that if the framerate goes much higher than 60 fps you may have bugs with the physics. And the techniques you are talking about are used in games like uncharted and crysis 2, people drool over those games.

TerrorRizzing

I disabled it last night just to see what's going on with my frame rates and saw it range from 30-40 in Whiterun to 139-160 in dungeons. I also started seeing things like opening cell cages causing the contents to literally explode outwards. It's interesting at first, but not sure I'd want to keep playing like that.

smackybear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 smackybear

[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

[QUOTE="f22rf"]Why would anyone want to disable V-sync? for the juice? In that case it's understandable..sirlag01

See what I did there?

This.

There's a lot of misunderstanding out there about what vsync does and what it's for.

First off, you can't ever have an actual framerate that exceeds your monitor's refresh rate, period. So if you have an LCD monitor that has a refresh rate of 60 hz then 60 fps is the maximum framerate that can ever be displayed on that monitor in the same way that you can never exceed your monitor's screen resolution.

Short Version: It's 100% pointless to have a framerate higher than 60 (unless you have a special monitor).

---------

Even if fraps is showing a framerate of 150, 90 of those frames are never being seen; they're just being rendered in the background and never making it to your eye. In other words, you're seeing a maximum of 60 fps no matter what the framerate number shows.

Short Version: FPS numbers lie to you.

---------

With vsync off, the game will display pieces of a frame instead of a whole frame. This results in what is called "tearing". Tearing is ugly and by most accounts worse looking than a low framerate. If you're panning your camera from side to side things like trees will look disjointed with the top part of the tress in one spot on the screen, the middle section an inch or so to the side, and the bottom section another inch or so to the side. In this example, this is because the video card is showing you 3 different frames in a single refresh and each frame is in a different position so they're not synched up.

Short Version: Tearing is ugly and defeats the purpose of having a high framerate (which is smooth movement).

---------

What vsync does is force the video card to display full frames within each monitor refresh rather than pieces of different frames smooshed together. The result is that you don't get any more tearing. Each frame is clean and whole. Since the video card is no longer allowed to try and con you with pieces of frames this has the side effect of forcing the card to come clean about what you're actually seeing and start telling the truth about your framerate (which can never exceed 60).

Short Version: Vsync stops ugly screen tearing and forces the fps numbers to tell the truth.

---------

Once you discover what vsync does and doesn't do you'll never want to turn it off.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Once you discover what vsync does and doesn't do you'll never want to turn it off.

smackybear

I also know Vsync causes all shorts of sluggish movements with my mouse. So in the end I know what it is, I still do not want it, and you wasted your time.

smackybear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 smackybear

[QUOTE="smackybear"]Once you discover what vsync does and doesn't do you'll never want to turn it off.

millerlight89

I also know Vsync causes all shorts of sluggish movements with my mouse. So in the end I know what it is, I still do not want it, and you wasted your time.

You mean on the menus? Yes, some games that use software mouse control do this but it doesn't happen during gameplay. If you turn off mouse smoothing/acceleration and set max prerendered frames to 0, even this pretty much goes away and you still don't have to look at the ugly tearing.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i get insane input lag whenever i have vsync on. that and i never get screen tearing, so there's no point for it to be on.
smackybear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 smackybear

[QUOTE="f22rf"]Why would anyone want to disable V-sync? for the juice? In that case it's understandable..yellosnolvr
i get insane input lag whenever i have vsync on. that and i never get screen tearing, so there's no point for it to be on.

Do you really never get any tearing? What type of monitor are you using and what does your fps counter read? Also, what is your max prerendered frames set at when you get the input lag? Just curious.

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

I usually never use vsync but you kinda need to in this game. The sluggish mouse movement was mostly fixed by forcing triple buffering in D3DOverrider and setting "frames to render ahead" to 0 in the nvidia control panel.

cooloutac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cooloutac

[QUOTE="sirlag01"]

[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

See what I did there?

smackybear

This.

There's a lot of misunderstanding out there about what vsync does and what it's for.

First off, you can't ever have an actual framerate that exceeds your monitor's refresh rate, period. So if you have an LCD monitor that has a refresh rate of 60 hz then 60 fps is the maximum framerate that can ever be displayed on that monitor in the same way that you can never exceed your monitor's screen resolution.

Short Version: It's 100% pointless to have a framerate higher than 60 (unless you have a special monitor).

---------

Even if fraps is showing a framerate of 150, 90 of those frames are never being seen; they're just being rendered in the background and never making it to your eye. In other words, you're seeing a maximum of 60 fps no matter what the framerate number shows.

Short Version: FPS numbers lie to you.

---------

With vsync off, the game will display pieces of a frame instead of a whole frame. This results in what is called "tearing". Tearing is ugly and by most accounts worse looking than a low framerate. If you're panning your camera from side to side things like trees will look disjointed with the top part of the tress in one spot on the screen, the middle section an inch or so to the side, and the bottom section another inch or so to the side. In this example, this is because the video card is showing you 3 different frames in a single refresh and each frame is in a different position so they're not synched up.

Short Version: Tearing is ugly and defeats the purpose of having a high framerate (which is smooth movement).

---------

What vsync does is force the video card to display full frames within each monitor refresh rather than pieces of different frames smooshed together. The result is that you don't get any more tearing. Each frame is clean and whole. Since the video card is no longer allowed to try and con you with pieces of frames this has the side effect of forcing the card to come clean about what you're actually seeing and start telling the truth about your framerate (which can never exceed 60).

Short Version: Vsync stops ugly screen tearing and forces the fps numbers to tell the truth.

---------

Misunderstanding? I think we understand that your not really a pc gamer.

Play a game like quakelive.com which is defaulted at 125 fps. then compare that to 60 fps cap. You will notice a huge ass diff in the smoothness of the game and your aim. Especially in an fps. And this is with a 60hz monitor only.

there is a huge diff from 30 to 60......and its the SAME EXACT DIFF AND FEEL, from 60 to 120 fps. but under 50 is unplayable imo. no matter what your monitor is, I'm sorry. But your just another case of spouting theories you prolly read online and in books.

but sure a 120 hz monitor is gonna feel a hell of alot smoother and clearer then a 60 hz one. but I have to say going from caping a games fps at 60 to 125 will make a huge diff in feel no matter what the hz of the monitor is. Like i said go install quakelive and test out your theory.....lmao

another little fact that these widescreen lcd's, in my experience, have atrocious screen tearing. which is why i have to play with vsync on for every game. The only game i don't use vsync on is a game like quakelive which i play at 125 fps. because it makes a huge diff in how GOOD I am at the game period, and how my mouse movement reacts and how smooth it looks. The problem is these new games can't run as good. Even skyrim is like 10 year old tech on a new age hardware. These new "modern" (sarcasm) game engines are made for 60 fps.....because they can't even handle anything faster. but theres a huge diff between 60 and 120....and You can't convince me I'm imagining it dude. I'm a real gamer. I dont' just post on theories on forums.

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 simardbrad

What people don't understand about Vsync is that Vsync forces the game to never pass 60 updates a second, while at 125 updates a second, the game reads my input way more often, leading to smoother input.

Also in games where there's a lot going on, Vsync could lead to lower framerates than you typically get without it.