Silent Hill PC with 360 controller keybinding wierd out?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NerdBabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NerdBabe
Member since 2010 • 31 Posts

Silent Hill Homecoming has an option to use controller (so no need for Xpadder). It was all working fine for a while but upon one save load, the keys were all screwy and I don't know what I'm pressing/doing.

I've gone into options (repeatedly) and checked the key assignment. It all reads correctly and I've tried redoing them to be sure. Upon entering the game again, the keys are not doing what they're meant to still.

Is there a config file I need to edit? Can I just delete one and the game should recreate it properly? Any idea why this is happening to me?

NerdBabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NerdBabe

Update: I tried selecting 'mouse and keyboard', running the controller through Xpadder and it worked for a while. Suddenly, after starting a new session, the game lost it's forward function. I've tried remapping forward to any number of keys, pressed the real keyboard buttons and tested all buttons to see where the game thinks it is. There is just NO forward function anywhere!

Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jordo321
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
SH5 is a buggy pos on the PC. Worst port ever, probably even worse than GTA4 (or RE4 lol)
NerdBabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NerdBabe

Oh wow. I had no trouble with RE4, but I did hate the control design. RE5 was a little better.

Is there any hope for me? I've not been able to find evidence of others having the same problem?

vildavanadis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 vildavanadis
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Update: I tried selecting 'mouse and keyboard', running the controller through Xpadder and it worked for a while. Suddenly, after starting a new session, the game lost it's forward function. I've tried remapping forward to any number of keys, pressed the real keyboard buttons and tested all buttons to see where the game thinks it is. There is just NO forward function anywhere!

NerdBabe
No, you are NOT alone. Using "Arrow UP" as the forward key works fine when you start the game and play up until you SAVE your first time. After that, the mapping or key assignment vanishes from the key you assigned to moving forwards. Where did it go? It went to the key "A". So if you press "A" your guy will move forwards. I have not found any kind of solution to this problem. But if someone can figure out how to solve this I would be all ears. On that same note, I believe the USE function also vanishes, I had mine assigned to "spacebar" but I cannot open doors any more since my first SAVE. Megaphone to Japan: Really good job on this port, Konami. :S
meme_peddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 meme_peddler
Member since 2010 • 96 Posts
SH5 is a buggy pos on the PC. Worst port ever, probably even worse than GTA4 (or RE4 lol)Jordo321
It's not buggy, it's bloody cursed.
vildavanadis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 vildavanadis
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Hm, I actually got some of this working. For the record I'm on a PC using the "Mouse & Keyboard" setup. I found that if I edit the file "binds_pc_mjs.cfg" I can force the game to keep my movement settings, this includes using the key UP_ARROW as "Move forward". So now I can get my guy to move the way I want using the keys I want. Excellent, movement problem solved. BUT... there's another problem. Shortly after the first check pont/save point we encounter our first weapon (combat knife) and our first enemy. I am totally unable to get my guy to use the knife. He gets totally 0wned in a matter of seconds. The defauilt mappings for "Light Attack" is "Mouse Button 0" and "Heavy Attack" is "Mouse Button 1". Per default there are no keyboard keys mapped at all as optional fight keys, only mouse buttons 0 and 1. But when I click on the mouse buttons in my enemie's vicinity nothing happens. Therefor I die. I even turned the flashlight off (enemy can't see me) so that I could have some breathing time to try the mouse buttons in peace and also every single key on the keyboard but found that no keys would make my guy use his knife and the designated mouse buttons do absolutely nothing. I'm positive that this can be fixed, that the game controls can be forced to work like we want them to, I just need some help. If anyone else feels up to tinkering with this file, please leave your findings in this thread. Btw, this file also contains key mappings for PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360 for whom it may concern.