Sick of WoW? An alternative...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sircyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sircyrus
Member since 2003 • 6358 Posts

Anyone out there who is tired of WoW but needs their MMO fix, you should consider giving Everquest 2 a shot. You'll be hardpressed to find anyone who dislikes SOE as much as I do, but I recently returned to EQ2 after a few years of absence and I have to say they've improved the game a lot.

Though the game's PvP still isn't it's strong point (arena is rarely ever used, and the PvP servers can be gankfests if you don't run with a group), the PvE side is fantastic. If that is at all your cup of tea you should give the game a try.

If you are interested in it, just send me off a PM and I'll shoot you one of my trial keys that gives you an unrestricted trial, unlike the regular one which prevents you from doing /tells and the like.

For anyone who has recently returned to EQ2, what are your opinions on the state of the game?

Or, for anyone who has recently found a different alternative to WoW, which MMO was it that manage to steal you away?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
[QUOTE="sircyrus"]

Or, for anyone who has recently found a different alternative to WoW, which MMO was it that manage to steal you away?

ToonTown. It's argueably the greatest game I have ever played. The commercials aren't a good representation of the game. I've been playing since December 23, 2003, on and off, and still love it. In my opinion, it's one million times better than any other MMORPG out there. I just wish they would fix some of the glitches. Anyway, I will definitely give this game a try once I become bored of ToonTown. I'm afraid I may never try it. :P
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts
I played for a month when it first came out and I grew more and more to hate it's miserable existance. idk it may be better now, but considering how much I hate SOE, I'm not so willing to give it another shot just yet.
sircyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sircyrus

ToonTown. It's argueably the greatest game I have ever played. The commercials aren't a good representation of the game. I've been playing since December 23, 2003, on and off, and still love it.DeathScape666
Seriously?

What do you do in it? What makes it so good?

I've been keeping an eye on Free Realms to play with my nephew once it's out, I'd never heard a whole lot about ToonTown.

_rpg_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 _rpg_FAN
Member since 2005 • 1418 Posts

GrandChase

its online rpg (not mmo but well) and its really funny

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

EQ2 has always been one of my favourites, and I like coming back to it every once in a while. I was thinking of starting again, actually.

The main dislikes I had of the game from the last time I played was the removal of the tiered class system, where you choose a base class, a sub-class, and then a specialization through a series of quests. Also the removal of the citizenship quest was silly. I found that both of those aspects really added to the immersion factor for me, and I was saddened to see them go.

Also I wish there were more "major" quests that tie in to multiple zones, and lead you on your way to some over-arching story. I found that after a while, you'd just go to a new zone or area, grab the quests there, pound through them and then go grab some more quests in a different area, not many of them meaningful or tying in to each other. I believe I hit level 30 before I quit playing my shadowknight. I was looking for more substance, so I went back to single-player games for a while.

im_really_rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 im_really_rich
Member since 2008 • 1371 Posts

final fantasy 11 is really fun

that's the only mmo i've ever liked

sircyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sircyrus

I played for a month when it first came out and I grew more and more to hate it's miserable existance. idk it may be better now, but considering how much I hate SOE, I'm not so willing to give it another shot just yet.Vaasman
I played it as release as well. It is a drastically different game now.

Leveling is far easier, you can easily go 1-20 in a single day now in Timorous Deep. Tradeskills are easier now too, as you don't have to create all the sub-items which fill up your bank. You create the final item. There's tons of new quests added, deities (which reward you with miracles/blessings - powerful skills/abilities), an AA system for further character customization and skill enhancement, tons of new mounts, zones, monsters, etc etc.

The game has gotten very good as it's aged, which is surprising because usually MMO's work in the reverse. It's unfortunate that there isn't more advertising going on because how the game stands now, it really is capable of competing with WoW. At least as far as PvE is concerned.

Sw33t_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sw33t_D
Member since 2008 • 146 Posts
Guild wars is also pretty good, although it is still quite expensive considering the time its been out