should i buy skyrim?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ptbs623

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ptbs623
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hi, i am looking to buy a new game for my pc that i wont get bored of for some time. I am thinking about Skyrim , but , having not played any of The Elder Scrolls games before i do not know if it is good. However,it looks to be a nice open-world game with a very fun-to-explore world. So,should i buy it?
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Absolutely

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
Make sure To go to http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/ for mods that make the game last longer and become much better Also get SKSE http://skse.silverlock.org/ , and on nexus get at the very least SkyUI and Categorized Favorites Menu mods
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

I bought Skyrim on day one and got bored with it on day one. The world felt so big, yet so empty. A year later I picked it up again and installed a lot of mods... In that world, I spent over 700 hours; it's a fantastic game.

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

I bought Skyrim on day one and got bored with it on day one. The world felt so big, yet so empty. A year later I picked it up again and installed a lot of mods... In that world, I spent over 700 hours; it's a fantastic game.

geitenvla

@geitenvla Last Ninja..C64 classic!

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 II-Siamak-II
Member since 2012 • 480 Posts

It's a great addictive game

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
Stop hesitating just buy it. It's so good.
SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#8 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Yeah you should, it's a great exploration RPG.

Ignore the people saying it's "unplayable" without mods.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Don't see how you would need to make a topic about it. There are 100s of videos on youtube to see the gameplay. Gamespot has been doing weekly videos on skyrim mods for over a year.

100s if not 1000s of reviews. Probably enough pages on forums discussing Skyrim that would take over a year to read through.

If this was an obscure title I can see you looking for more information but, I don't see how that would apply to Skyrim at this point.

Win20122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Win20122
Member since 2012 • 33 Posts
yes. It's a great game.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 geitenvla

[QUOTE="geitenvla"]

CUDGEdave

@geitenvla Last Ninja..C64 classic!

So far, the best gaming era I've experienced. Those were the days!:cool:

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#12 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

geitenvla

This pretty much. Skyrim is amazing with mods, new quests, new game play changes, visual changes etc. 

Highly recommend you get Skyrim if you are even at the point of asking yourself. It's a game filled with adventure.

tumblr_mh7t9yvGte1rw0ifto1_250.gif

feverberries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 feverberries
Member since 2013 • 281 Posts

i think it was amazing even without any mods.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
If you like the idea of walking around a lot, exploring and hitting tons of creatures with a sword for sure. I got tired of it quite quickly though there's lots of people who really enjoy what it does, so it's your call.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'm not even a very big fan of medieval dungeons and dragons and sorcery stuff, but I spent 200 hours with Skyrim on PS3 and now I'm 130 hours into it on PC.  Nobody can guarantee that the subject matter and gameplay of any particular game will interest you, but I certainly loved it.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#16 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
It's a must play. You'll probably get a good 20 hours of it at the bare minimum. Even if you dont come away thinking it's all that great. Despite that, the modding community is incredibly healthy, even if it's all over the place at times.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

It's a game a dog can play.  If you're asking for good open-world quest-design, try Crackdown or GTA III.  Good roleplaying, Fallout 1/2, Arcanum.  It's not exploration when the game places a marker on the objectives and the dungeons are designed for two-year olds.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

^Agreed.   You want a decent open world RPG, get Gothic 2.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#19 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

It's not exploration when the game places a marker on the objectives and the dungeons are designed for two-year olds.

Socijalisticka

Or you can just lose yourself in the gameworld, exploring every cavern/dungeon/ruin you can find; where the game excels.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Phenomenal game I've poured thousands of combined hours into both skyrim and oblivion. Some of the best open world games on the market and the fact that the modding communities are so active makes it even better.
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts
[QUOTE="ptbs623"]Hi, i am looking to buy a new game for my pc that i wont get bored of for some time. I am thinking about Skyrim , but , having not played any of The Elder Scrolls games before i do not know if it is good. However,it looks to be a nice open-world game with a very fun-to-explore world. So,should i buy it?

yes and use the steam workshop or skyrim nexus to mod it. if you do that it will be an AWESOME game and you will probably love it. but if you don't mod it then meh... it's ok...
minm2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 minm2k
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
i played for about 25 hours or so and stopped about 7 or 8 months ago. How has it changed since? How much difference do the mods make? and what mods are a must have ? Im interested in starting up again.. Thanks!
minm2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 minm2k
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
also is it better with mouse keyboard on pc or gamepad??
Dequan1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dequan1233
Member since 2009 • 107 Posts

also is it better with mouse keyboard on pc or gamepad??minm2k

I say its better with keyboard and mouse for pc. I also have the 360 version, however, to me it feels better to use a mouse.

feverberries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 feverberries
Member since 2013 • 281 Posts

[QUOTE="minm2k"]also is it better with mouse keyboard on pc or gamepad??Dequan1233

I say its better with keyboard and mouse for pc. I also have the 360 version, however, to me it feels better to use a mouse.

yeah i think it's much better with keyboard and mouse too, although you can see the inventory system is clearly designed with gamepad in mind. works nice with keybard too, but most importantly the gameplay feels better.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 geitenvla

[QUOTE="Dequan1233"]

[QUOTE="minm2k"]also is it better with mouse keyboard on pc or gamepad??feverberries

yeah i think it's much better with keyboard and mouse too, although you can see the inventory system is clearly designed with gamepad in mind. works nice with keybard too, but most importantly the gameplay feels better.

I strongly recommend using SkyUI, an awesome PC friendly game menu. You can get it on Nexus, can't miss it.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

I much prefer Skyrim with the  360 controller, myself. Are there any combat "overhaul" mods? Particularly for melee? I always felt the melee left something to be desired.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Go ahead and buy it.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts
i played for about 25 hours or so and stopped about 7 or 8 months ago. How has it changed since? How much difference do the mods make? and what mods are a must have ? Im interested in starting up again.. Thanks!minm2k
the mods make it more immersive (if you use the right ones) because the graphics look so realistic and beautiful that it's about as close to real life as possible at this point in time. there's a ton of environmental mods and mods that make the faces of the characters look realistic that are amazing as well. plus there's a lot of non-graphical mods that enhance skyrim. like a better map mod, better UI mod, better weapons, better perks, better crafting etc... hundreds of mods available.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I'm gonna say this. If a game looks interesting and something you would find fun to play, go for it.
CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Go for it.

Maverick6585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Maverick6585
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts
Buy it now. Why are you still reading this? Why haven't you bought it yet? Get the Legendary Edition. I didn't think the DLC was going to be worth it due to the thousands of mods out there, but I was wrong. And I'm only halfway through the Dawguard questline.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#33 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

Combat and story are weak.  There are better games out there.

Then again, it has some of the best modding of all time and somehow I sunk 80 hours into it.

Go ahead if you're interested.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 geitenvla

Combat and story are weak.  There are better games out there.

Then again, it has some of the best modding of all time and somehow I sunk 80 hours into it.

Go ahead if you're interested.

realguitarhero5

I always felt the story was just a thin backdrop for "my own story". It never bothered me that much.

You're right on the combat system: it is pretty weak but as you already pointed out yourself, there are mods out there.

Slagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Slagar
Member since 2003 • 271 Posts

For me the game was generic, buggy and boring. I bought it at release, and regretted it. I shouldn't have to mod a game to high heaven to make it enjoyable. IMO since Oblivion they've watered down the series to cater to a wider market, but it's turned the game into a shallow, generic fantasy action game.

Strong points: Great character customization, open world, exploratory gameplay.

Weak points: Everything feels a bit generic. The combat (90% of game-time) is horrible. All the monsters scale with your character, so you never feel like you're getting stronger, and it's ridiculous to see common bandits that have god-like gear, that even towns/guards don't have. The "RPG" side of things, from a technical point of view (such as stats/leveling/loot), is extremely shallow.

IMO it depends on what you like. If you like a well-crafted, on-rails type of game experience, with a strong story, or technical RPGs with complex stat systems, I think you'll be disappointed in Skyrim. If you DGAF and just want to swing a sword and slay monsters without any real challenge, and explore an uncharted world, then you'll enjoy it.

IMO Morrowind is the best in the series. I'd still play that over Skyrim or Oblivion!

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#36 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I loved it. Snap it up now!
MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

It's a rather hard call.....

Seems the majority loves it, but then there's a minority of us, who think it's utterly boring.