Sega announces Total War: Rome II !

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AleksandarTale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AleksandarTale
Member since 2007 • 2906 Posts

Sega and the Creative Assembly have just announced that a new Total War game is in the making, along with a live action trailer.

Take a look at IGN's article for more details.

So, what are your thoughts?

I'm really excited about this, I've always wanted a sequel to the original Rome, and I think this is great news. I can't wait.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I'll play ir, obviously, since Total War games are my favorite, but I would have preferred another Medieval.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

I'll play ir, obviously, since Total War games are my favorite, but I would have preferred another Medieval.

airshocker

i beleive their trying to ensure all of em have a sequel before having threequels likely this means their will by a total war: empire II and total war: napoleon II before they have total war medival III

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

cool trailer

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

we got jango and boba this thread is starting off great :D

Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
It looks excellent so far, release apparently around Christmas 2013.
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
It looks excellent so far, release apparently around Christmas 2013.
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

ionusX

i beleive their trying to ensure all of em have a sequel before having threequels likely this means their will by a total war: empire II and total war: napoleon II before they have total war medival III

No, I think they are just trying to update their games to their new engine. Rome looks like crap now. But Empire still looks great, is modern, and you can play it fine. Their next game might be something new or Medieval III.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Rome was the best Total War, easily. Glad to see CA giving this epic game a sequel. Medieval, Shogun, Empire, and Napoleon were good, but none of them compare to how epic Rome was.

Late 2013? That's right in line with when I bought the original Rome nine years ago...

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

The question is how much the Carthage DLC will cost.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Hold on to yer butts guys! Last time CA attempted a mammoth-sized game like this they shat out Empire, which was a solid 3/10 and needs 10 GB of mods to be any good.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Hold on to yer butts guys! Last time CA attempted a mammoth-sized game like this they shat out Empire, which was a solid 3/10 and needs 10 GB of mods to be any good.

Baranga

Empire was a fun game and not even close to 3/10. Just becuase you don't like doesn't make it shat. At least they actually had the correct firing system, unlike the total BS in the next game and shogun only 2 lines fire really

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Great news. I loved Rome the most of the Total War series.

Those graphics look amazing btw. Can't wait to see more of it

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Empire is a fun game with DarthMod, I was actually playing it last week.

It's still a huge f*cking mess. They threw in everything but the kitchen sink, especially in the campaign map. IMO it was a mistake to go from the centralized development of the previous games to this Paradox-but-shlt model.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Hng. Looks absolutely phenomenal, can't wait for more details.
Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

nononoo, not 2013, I want this NOAW

so hyped about this. hope they dont bite of more then they can chew though *cough Empire*

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Stolen from the System Wars thread...

SEGA and Creative Assembly have lifted the lid on Rome II: Total War, showing an impressive 15 minute demo revolving around Roman efforts to reduce Carthage to rubble.The headline new features are a redesigned graphics engine, a greater sense of scale and a stylish new cinematic unit camera.

During the presentation, Creative Assembly walked us through plenty of details about what Rome II intends to offer when it's released in late 2013, and lead designer James Russell spoke about the game's intentions.

• Shogun 2 was set in narrow geographical areas, with limited sets of units - a comparatively small scale to what's being intended with Rome II. It was designed with a focus on game systems, such as engine polishing and improvements to unit pathing.
    • With that in place, Rome II is going big - it'sbigger than Rome 1 in geographical scale.
    • The game's key design vision is in taking players from a macro to micro scale, such as jumping from a campaign map to a single unit.
    • Despite that focus, Rome II is still attempting to make its macro scale bigger - we're guessing the senate will play a large part of that, but Creative Assembly won't say just yet.
    • As you rise through the ranks, your success will attract less-than-favourable responses from some of your friends. You will almost definitely get betrayed. There's "more human-level drama on the campaign map" in Rome II.
    • The bigger campaign map has "hundreds" of regions to move your units around, but the game buckets them into provinces to make management easier.The idea is to have you thinking about armies and legions rather than fiddling around with individual units.
    • Ultimately,the game will allow you to decide whether to favour the republic or become Rome's dictator.
    • The game's cameras have been redesigned.You can now lock the camera to single units.In this mode it functions like a sort of documentary cam, shaking while the unit walks ? it's "a soldier's eye view"according to Creative Assembly.
    • The demonstration takes place with a scenario set duringthe Third Punic War, which took place during 149BC to 146BC. The scenario here is the Siege of Carthage.
    • Rome II: Total War features anew graphics engine, which features particle and deferred lighting.
    • The game can now combine naval and land battles into the same conflict, including naval invasions:in this demo a Roman ship lands on the coast of Carthage.
    • Naval units now have more than one ship per unit.
    • Though expected, we see catapults and ballistae being put to good use.
    • The demo has a big focus on Roman siege towers, and the snap-to unit camera takes the view of the game inside the siege tower itself.
    • Conflicts take place over much bigger environments - much of Carthage has been recreated in the demo. To accommodate this extra scale, the game now features a top-down tactical map.
    • There are multiple ways to capture cities.Walls can be reduced to rubble after they've sustained enough damage, for instance. It's designed to create cat-and-mouse gameplay: "You're not just sitting in the plaza once the walls are breached trying to defend that one area"
    • There's a real oomph when units engage, with walls of shields colliding.
    • The new graphics engine can show some impressive fidelity for a game of this scale. We can clearly see that Cathage's walls have graffiti.
    • Buildings crumble in the background as Carthage deploys its war elephants and the demo ends.
  • The unit camera has been designed so the game feels like it's "almost Saving Private Ryan at the beaches".
  • Each unit has its own facial animations, and leaders bark out a stream of orders throughout. each confrontation.
  • Units react to things, such as their colleagues being slaughtered- the idea is that these aren't idenikit clone armies anymore.

Awesome live action trailer :http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/07/02/total-war-rome-ii-faces-of-rome-live-action-trailer

My biggest wish for PC-gaming have been granted and most of my fears have been dealt with. I just hope that we'll see the same amount of faction variety as with Rome 1.

danish-death

Oh my god. This game...

This god damn game...

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

The hell is the reasoning for some live trailer? How pointless and what waste of marketing money. Give me ingame footage.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

ionusX

Yuck. They should skip over Empire.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Baranga

More like a seven. Not anywhere close to a three.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

• The game can now combine naval and land battles into the same conflict, including naval invasions:in this demo a Roman ship lands on the coast of Carthage.

danish-death

Isn't this the third game that they stated that they were combining land/naval battles? I swear they said Empire would have naval sieges where you'd land units and assault a fort, same with Shogun 2. Seems like combining land/naval battles for Rome 2 would be a waste anyways, unless I'm missing something.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="danish-death"]

Swiftstrike5

Isn't this the third game that they stated that they were combining land/naval battles? I swear they said Empire would have naval sieges where you'd land units and assault a fort, same with Shogun 2. Seems like combining land/naval battles for Rome 2 would be a waste anyways, unless I'm missing something.

Well in Shogun 2 FotS naval forces can bombard during land games from what I know. This seems to be more in line of 'seaborne' invasion., which I'd say fits perfectly with the setting.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

airshocker

They learned a lot from Empire. I think they could make an Empire II no problem now. The tech has improved and they are more experianced with that kind of combat.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

If there is one thing I'm hoping for, is that each and every single city has a unique layout that conforms with its historical layout. Too many clone cities in Rome.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

Owners of AMD 7800 and 7900 series video cards haven't been able to play Shogun 2 since the release of Fall of the Samurai several months ago. Neither CA nor AMD seems too concerned with fixing this bug.

I'd advise all AMD card owners to put off purchasing any CA products until they can be sure that they'll work.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

High res screenshots:

Rome-2-Naval-Invasion.jpg

Rome-2-Street-fighting.jpg

Wow:shock:

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Wasdie  Moderator

Here's a preview I suggestion you all read.

This is going to be the best Total War ever. Simple as that.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#30 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Should be awesome, one of my fav current series

dowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dowho
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Really stoked about this sequel, but that's a hell of a wait. And who's to say it will be released on time? Sometimes I wish they'd keep these things secret until a week before the release.
bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

Excellent, I hope they make it as big of a game as Empire was. As long as you use darthmod ultimate commander there is no better strategy game in existence than Empire: Total War.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I figured the next would be Rome 2 but I was hoping for something in a completely new setting. That said I am looking forward to some classical era naval battles. Ramming speed anyone?:D

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
This game may very well take over my life.
Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

Cant wait.

dav2693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dav2693
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

The question is how much the Carthage DLC will cost.

dsgsdfgf

HAHAHA:P

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

This game...just the announcement almost brings tears of joy to my eyes! The first time I played Rome in 2004...I've never stopped playing it since. I literally grew up with this game. I can't stand the wait...I wish they hadn't announced it! They should have announced it like, a month before release! Where do I buy a time machine?!?

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#38 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

Finally, I've longed waited for this day.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

Here's a preview I suggestion you all read.

This is going to be the best Total War ever. Simple as that.

Wasdie
I don't know, Rome is still the best due to it's mods (Though M2TW is coming in very close with SS 6.4).
greasemonkey42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 3

#40 greasemonkey42
Member since 2004 • 2999 Posts
Why can't we see this 15 minute demo?!?!?!
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Ehh, I'll do the same for this game as I do for every big-hype game.... wait and see. Especially seeing as they seem to be trying to go Paradox.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

I better start saving for a 780GTX (no, that wasn't a typo ... ;) I know my 570 will have trouble running this at max.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

I better start saving for a 780GTX (yes, the 780 ... ;) I know my 570 will have trouble running this at max.

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

Ehh, I'll do the same for this game as I do for every big-hype game.... wait and see. Especially seeing as they seem to be trying to go Paradox.

Barbariser
Paradox grand strategy games completely demolish any Total War grand strategy segment.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

Wasdie

They learned a lot from Empire. I think they could make an Empire II no problem now. The tech has improved and they are more experianced with that kind of combat.

Yeah, I can understand why people did not like Empire because it was very buggy at release. However, It is still my favorite Total War game because of how incredibly ambitious it was. I loved how you could control the economy through trade nodes, naval battles, etc. The battle AI needs serious work, especially in siege battles, but overall it's a great game. I would love to see an Empire 2 that fixes the problems of Empire and expands on its strengths.
pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

Wow, it's a great year for strategy games announcements and expansion packs lol!

psbaps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 psbaps3
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Wow the trailer seems pretty good.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

MacBoomStick

Paradox grand strategy games completely demolish any Total War grand strategy segment.

I'm aware of that, and their ability to simulate history is well above anything CA's ever done, too. That's why I'm skeptical - CA's trying to break into something that their games have never really been good at.

PlusFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PlusFour
Member since 2011 • 125 Posts

So excited for this! Hope they have the same amount of unit variety as the first (even more) as the recent total war games have shared the same units throughout most of the factions which has been quite disappointing (even if it's for realism.) But rome total war 2, YEAAAH BOIIIII!

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
This will most probably be buggier than Empire at launch. I'll wait a year before I buy it.