Russian Government Recalled MW2 From Stores.

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

http://www.bitsofnews.com/images/graphics/who_lost_russia/putin_large.jpg

"The Russian government is apparently not a fan of how the country is represented in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, as all copies of the console version of the game have been recalled from stores.

Infinity Ward has also released a patch for the Russian PC version of the game which will remove the "airport" mission from the game entirely reports HellForge, citing a Russian gaming website. The mission in question features a civilian slaughter carried out at the behest of a Russian terrorist named Makarov.

Re-edited console versions of the game, once given the go ahead by Russian censors, could be introduced to stores within a month."

Source: http://gamepolitics.com/2009/11/16/russia-gives-mw2-cold-shoulder

Russia certainly has low tolerance observing from history, lol...

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

Wow , they are blowing this way out of proportion. THIS IS A GAME.

Get over it Russia.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
Well, I imagine if a Russian developer released a game featuring American forces or mercenaries of some type mowing down innocent men, women, and children at a Moscow airport, the game would raise a few eyebrows in the US, no? Think about it, kids.
Varny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Varny
Member since 2009 • 263 Posts

No dedicated servers and started WW3.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Just like Venezuela.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Well, I imagine if a Russian developer released a game featuring American forces or mercenaries of some type mowing down innocent men, women, and children at a Moscow airport, the game would raise a few eyebrows in the US, no? Think about it, kids. attirex

Don't call me kid... I'm probably old enough to be your father.

And if the scenario you mention was ever played out in America, it would raise a few eyebrows and a few Christian groups would be calling for a ban... but it would NOT be pulled from the shelves en masse!

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Just like Venezuela.thusaha

Not on that level though.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 attirex
No, I am your father. Search your feelings....etc. FYI, I saw "A New Hope" at a drive-in when it was first released in 1977. Don't play the old man game with me, young whipper snapper. In any event, I'm sure a company like Wal Mart would pull the game pretty damned quick. They've done that with music, IIRC.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Johnny_Rock

No, I am your father. Search your feelings....etc. FYI, I saw "A New Hope" at a drive-in when it was first released in 1977. Don't play the old man game with me, young whipper snapper. In any event, I'm sure a company like Wal Mart would pull the game pretty damned quick. They've done that with music, IIRC.attirex

Now that's really funny... I saw it first at the Lincoln drive-in in Philly in 77 too. A couple of old farts on the GS board....

Yeah, but Wal-Mart is as christian/conservative as a company can get. No violent video games... but please come visit our firearms section... and buy a condom or two on the way out.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 attirex

LOL! What type of walker you have? I've got the Geri-A-Trak 2000 tm.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Johnny_Rock

LOL! What type of walker you have? I've got the Geri-A-Trak 2000 tm.

attirex

Heh, for a minute there I thought you were talking about Imerial Walkers.... ;) But hey, I'm only 40... not ready for a walker yet.

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
Actually, Infinity Ward picked a pretty bad moment to have a rub with the Russians. Obama and the government is trying so hard to improve relations with the Russians to gain their support in key issues such as Iranian nukes, North Korean nukes, Chinese militarization, and especially energy (Russia has the third or second largest oil reserves in the world). Even if a game shows a bad portrayal, if it has mass appeal, it would have a bad effect on political relations with them. And we really do need Russia's support from here on out. The the age of superpower is over and politics are run by continental geopolitical influence aka United States leads North American affairs, the EU runs European Affairs, and Brazil/Venezeula competing for influence in South America. Asia is harder to define and Africa has yet to form solid governments. Oh, and Australia is ruled by Australia of course :P
tk9780

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 tk9780
Member since 2003 • 215 Posts
Please stop blaming Infinity Ward, Activision are the distributors for the DVD version of the game.
attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 attirex
You've got about five months on me, then. You win, you're older. ;-) OK, off to bed. It's 10:30 and I'm beat (srsly). Having two infants will do that to you. /goodnight
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

i haven't played the game but i know enough about how Russia is being portrayed in it, so i fully support the decision. what will happen to a game if it allows you to blood wash JFK? there's a line between fun and bad taste, and IW has definitely crossed that line.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#16 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

i haven't played the game but i know enough about how Russia is being portrayed in it, so i fully support the decision. what will happen to a game if it allows you to blood wash JFK? there's a line between fun and bad taste, and IW has definitely crossed that line.

Jinroh_basic
Oh c'mon. Like there's never been a text with Russian terrorists before? Sorry Jinroh, love yah to death and your facial hair, but I have to disagree on this one!!
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Jinroh_basic
I'd play that game. People are too sensitive these days. I mean seriously, suck it up it's a game.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Ohh thats nice, We cant have games with black african zombies, because its racisist, we cant have russian terrosts because its a sensitive matter.... we cant have movies or games with the two towers because the entire US population is gonna burst in tears...So what we do? We end up killing aliens and run through corridors. Here's what, why dont we just keep the game on iraq, nobody seems to mind what US do to iraq....:D..,,.in games:lol: because its a join the US army propaganda!!! Anyway i remember the good old days of soldier of fortune or childkilling in fallout 2? The world has gone too sensitive nowadays, especially Australian censhorships Eagery waiting for the release of postal 3...then we gonna get some serious outrages....or pure ignorance since the game is harldy known to the public.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jinroh_basic

once real politics come into play, a game can no longer be viewed as a simple form of entertainment. it becomes a text open for criticism and challenge. that's what happened here - Russia realises its national interests are at stake and it strikes back. prefectly understandable. people around here don't care only because they are not Russians.

bottom line - game developers, as do producers of any type of entertainment, should be aware of the possible consequences when they temper with sensitive issues that are bound to offend certain group of people.

bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts
Russia should have released a patch where you play as Putin's formger kgb pals, or heck, you could play AS putin, and completely annihilate all these terrorist, thus single handedly saving russia, bringing about world peace and making the game's story 100x more realistic :D
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nibroc420

once real politics come into play, a game can no longer be viewed as a simple form of entertainment. it becomes a text open for criticism and challenge. that's what happened here - Russia realises its national interests are at stake and it strikes back. prefectly understandable. people around here don't care only because they are not Russians.

bottom line - game developers, as do producers of any type of entertainment, should be aware of the possible consequences when they temper with sensitive issues that are bound to offend certain group of people.

Jinroh_basic
What next? Black people can't be Enemies? Can't have any Evil dude that may be depicted as a race? Seriously, the Russians need to grow up and realize that not everything that is depicted in video-games is real. Heck, ALL politicians need to realize this. Can't have Black Zombies because it's racist, but you have to have Black people in the game..Leaving us with Black people killing white zombies? Yet that's not racist. Society has become too sensitive. GROW UP it's a video game.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jinroh_basic

meaning no disrespect, but the ones that need to "grow up" are the angry teen mobs who think the world is as easy to figure out as 123 and everything is just start load and quit.

the social, political and cultural workings in the globalised era we live in are extremely profound . that's what the real grown-ups are trying to figure out and that's why the libraries are full of books we can't finish in a dozen lifetimes.

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts

Jinroh_basic
Wow really? The sensitivity of some people... I mean I see no difference then in GTA4 where your killing people in the masses even more so... People these days getting so sensitive over stupid things like this -_-.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nibroc420

meaning no disrespect, but the ones that need to "grow up" are the angry teen mobs who think the world is as easy to figure out as 123 and everything is just start load and quit.

the social, political and cultural workings in the globalised era we live in are extremely profound . that's what the real grown-ups are trying to figure out and that's why the libraries are full of books we can't finish in a dozen lifetimes.

Jinroh_basic
If you think that people who believe the world is as easy as 123 need to grow up.. Quit making things so complicated then. Listen. Half the english language could be censored because someone, somewhere, feels that any particular word is offensive. There are several words, that even when you use the denotation for the entire populous of the world screams racism. Every video game contains some sort of evil villan of sorts, and most contain some sort of violence, sexuality, or some type of adult theme. All of which can be Censored. Society needs to grow some balls, suck it up and get a grip on reality. simply banning, or censoring everything is not the right way to teach younger generations to solve problems. Soon we'll end up where words like "poo" and "jesus" are deemed offensive to some, and therefor cannot be used. Religions will be banned, because it only causes conflict. If we allow something as trivial as a video game to bother us, next thing you'll know, mothers will want to ban Banana's because they look like genitalia. My point is, Russia banned this game, WHY? because they think it'll have a bad image on them. Why would it? Do other countries honestly believe that russians are evil people who want to nuke the USA just because of a video game? Who tought these people that video games were real? Didn't they see those millions of commercials released every year going "This is a house hippo......Not everything you see on TV is real" or some such thing? Who HONESTLY thinks that because a few russians were portrayed as evil people in a video game that everyone in russia is evil? Do you? no. Do i? no Does anyone is this forum? Doubt it.
woonsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 woonsa
Member since 2008 • 6322 Posts
It's only natural, in a patriot's perspective.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jinroh_basic

the game puts you in control of a terrorist (don't spoil it) participating in a full scale massacre of Russian civilians in an actual place. the fact that there are people who think that this is a trivial matter is as worrying as the game developers' irresponsible approach to the subject matter. i mean, seriously? you expect the Russians to just heehaw and shrug it off? what's next? make a game that allows you to rape Obama's wife and tell White House to GROW UP?

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

Nibroc420, Russia did not ban the game. They recalled the console versions only, the PC version has been patched. The article mentions that the games would most likely come back onto the market with edited content in a month's time.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
People who think media (including video games) has completely no effect on everyone need to grow up.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lordlors
It's only natural, in a patriot's perspective.woonsa
Say if there's a video game that portrays Americans as the evil ones and it gets popular, would US be pleased with that? For example a game about the forgotten Philippine-American War. Oh what war do i mean? You don't even know this war where Americans did things more horrible than what they did in Afghanistan and Iraq.
BDL91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BDL91
Member since 2007 • 274 Posts

Wow , they are blowing this way out of proportion. THIS IS A GAME.

Get over it Russia.

Crypt_mx

I aggree , this has been blown way out of proportion. i mean they do ask if u wanna skip it

BDL91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BDL91
Member since 2007 • 274 Posts

[QUOTE="woonsa"]It's only natural, in a patriot's perspective.lordlors
Say if there's a video game that portrays Americans as the evil ones and it gets popular, would US be pleased with that? For example a game about the forgotten Philippine-American War. Oh what war do i mean? You don't even know this war where Americans did things more horrible than what they did in Afghanistan and Iraq.

What was so horrible about iraq?. No matter what there is always going to be horror in war and americans are always made out to be the bad guy anyways.
Im sure anybody who has actually seen war first hand would not take a statement like that very kindly , its either kill or be killed . and since when has any other country taken mercy on americans , we have all seen soldiers being beheaded on the news .

robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

No surprise there. Governments controlling what content one should put in games... It`s a nightmare.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

Mmeh... Now they will downlaod the game illegaly and play the airport missions, I bet the Russians don't care about the Russians in-game so much. They are smart and friendly in-game so I don't see what's the problem.

tk9780

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 tk9780
Member since 2003 • 215 Posts
I have to totally agree with the Russian Government's feelings and the out cry over the rather neededless 'Airport massacre'. You have to remember there have been terrorist incidents within Russia over last few years; there was siege at Beslan's where some 350 school of children died, and incident with Moscow theatre the Nord-Ost were again there was a huge loss of life. Some scream but it's just a game, so why then the need to portrays real peoples in real locations?
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lordlors

[QUOTE="lordlors"][QUOTE="woonsa"]It's only natural, in a patriot's perspective.BDL91

What was so horrible about iraq?. No matter what there is always going to be horror in war and americans are always made out to be the bad guy anyways.
Im sure anybody who has actually seen war first hand would not take a statement like that very kindly , its either kill or be killed . and since when has any other country taken mercy on americans , we have all seen soldiers being beheaded on the news .

That's because you don't even know what really happend during the Philippine-American War.

yeah war is illogical and stupid. Anyway, American soldiers do not deserve to be in any country except USA. I've always wondered why there are American soldiers outside of the US. Why are there still American soldiers in Japan, South Korea, Philippines, etc.? I really don't get it. If all US soldiers are just in the US ready to defend the country if there is attack, there would have been little to no casualties. As if America actually cares about other countries. America is only interested in its own interests and nothing else.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I can sort of understand it. I mean had the roles been reversed and you were mowing down American civilians then I'm pretty sure the States would go haywire over it.
carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 carlosjuero
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts

That's because you don't even know what really happend during the Philippine-American War.

yeah war is illogical and stupid. Anyway, American soldiers do not deserve to be in any country except USA. I've always wondered why there are American soldiers outside of the US. Why are there still American soldiers in Japan, South Korea, Philippines, etc.? I really don't get it. If all US soldiers are just in the US ready to defend the country if there is attack, there would have been little to no casualties. As if America actually cares about other countries. America is only interested in its own interests and nothing else.

lordlors

Oh yes, only interested in our own goals.. thats right. In WW I it was all about us.. oh wait... In WW II it was all about us too.. .wait.

US Troops are in other countries because of agreements with them, we aren't forcing troops on them in any way shape or form.

That said - this is a gaming forum, not a political commentary forum. Take your hatred for the US or for Non-US countries (many americans are just as bad as the US haters out there) somewhere else. In regards to the topic: This sort of thing has been pretty prevalent - Germany will not allow references to their murky past (Auschwitz, The Final Plan, etc) and games have to be modified to remove references to Nazis, etc in order to be sold there.

It is just a game, yes, but in this age of worldwide distribution it is to be expected that toes will be stepped on, and developers need to take care of it. I am surprised that no feedback was gotten in that market before release though, would have saved them tons of money - now they have to re-press a Russian specific set of console games.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lordlors

[QUOTE="lordlors"]

carlosjuero

Oh yes, only interested in our own goals.. thats right. In WW I it was all about us.. oh wait... In WW II it was all about us too.. .wait.

US Troops are in other countries because of agreements with them, we aren't forcing troops on them in any way shape or form.

That said - this is a gaming forum, not a political commentary forum. Take your hatred for the US or for Non-US countries (many americans are just as bad as the US haters out there) somewhere else. In regards to the topic: This sort of thing has been pretty prevalent - Germany will not allow references to their murky past (Auschwitz, The Final Plan, etc) and games have to be modified to remove references to Nazis, etc in order to be sold there.

It is just a game, yes, but in this age of worldwide distribution it is to be expected that toes will be stepped on, and developers need to take care of it. I am surprised that no feedback was gotten in that market before release though, would have saved them tons of money - now they have to re-press a Russian specific set of console games.

Sorry for my "political post" but it is just my response to Americans saying "meh" or "it's just a game" to the actions of the Russian government. It's completely logical and understandable for the gov to do this yet Americans fail to see the logic.
carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 carlosjuero
[QUOTE="carlosjuero"]

[QUOTE="lordlors"]

lordlors

Sorry for my "political post" but it is just my response to Americans saying "meh" or "it's just a game" to the actions of the Russian government. It's completely logical and understandable for the gov to do this yet Americans fail to see the logic.

You are generalising again. Not all Americans feel that way - I understand why the Russian Govt did that.
Chyropraise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Chyropraise
Member since 2005 • 179 Posts

the game puts you in control of a terrorist (don't spoil it) participating in a full scale massacre of Russian civilians in an actual place. the fact that there are people who think that this is a trivial matter is as worrying as the game developers' irresponsible approach to the subject matter. i mean, seriously? you expect the Russians to just heehaw and shrug it off? what's next? make a game that allows you to rape Obama's wife and tell White House to GROW UP?

Jinroh_basic

Don't spoil it? Have you not played the game yet? I don't understand how you can make judgements when you havn't actually played the game at all.

HUGE SPOILERS BELOW:

[spoiler] You're an undercover agent. You are not actually a terrorist. Don't not put that in there because it makes that part of your argument void. Guess who the actual enemy of the CoD 6 is besides Makarov. The American general. [/spoiler]

Americans are portrayed as the enemy in video games all the time. Fallout 1 for example. Americans invade Canada. Not too mention the amount of American Corporations that are also portrayed as pure evil. The game explicitly states when you start the game that some people might be offended by it. So they offer an option to skip it. So what do people do? They watch it and take part in it anyway and get offended. Completely ludicrous. The game is rated M for mature. I.E. Mature content.

On the subject of the recall. Russian's can do whatever they want in their own country. But if they tried to censor any sort of media here in America I would be extremely worried about our first ammendment rights. These rights extend to movies as well. Which have had just as much mature content as video games. If not more so.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lordlors

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

Chyropraise

Don't spoil it? Have you not played the game yet? I don't understand how you can make judgements when you havn't actually played the game at all.

Americans are portrayed as the enemy in video games all the time. Fallout 1 for example. Americans invade Canada. Not too mention the amount of American Corporations that are also portrayed as pure evil. The game explicitly states when you start the game that some people might be offended by it. So they offer an option to skip it. So what do people do? They watch it and take part in it anyway and get offended. Completely ludicrous. The game is rated M for mature. I.E. Mature content.

On the subject of the recall. Russian's can do whatever they want in their own country. But if they tried to censor any sort of media here in America I would be extremely worried about our first ammendment rights. These rights extend to movies as well. Which have had just as much mature content as video games. If not more so.

Can you list more games that portray Americans as evil as oppose to Americans being saviors? I have not seen any especially modern video games. I'm interested.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

Guess what...

"Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 not banned in Russia, says Activision"

Yet it's the entirely fictitious rumours which will be remembered and convince a few more people to buy what is essentially the 6th formulaic PC rehash of Medal of Honour, which incidentally is 10 years old this year. Crappy cold war era marketing propaganda FTL.

Chyropraise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chyropraise
Member since 2005 • 179 Posts

"Can you list more games that portray Americans as evil as oppose to Americans being saviors? I have not seen any especially modern video games. I'm interested."

Well, alot of games skirt around the issue. But there are a couple I can think off the top of my head. Fallout 1,2, Army of Two. GTA obviously takes place in America, even though they call it Liberty City. Ultor corporation from Saints Row 2 is an obvious American company. And it's not always USA as the savior. COD MW1 the Brits actually save the day. But it's not really Americans as a whole are evil in video games. Just certain people or corporations. It's not like any game out there points out that a whole country is evil. MW2 had Russian terrorists. Fallout 1 we "annex" Canada.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Something tells me that if this was an American airport we're in and we were mowing down American civilians, IW would probably receive twice as much flak as they are already receiving.
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

Something tells me that if this was an American airport we're in and we were mowing down American civilians, IW would probably receive twice as much flak as they are already receiving.KHAndAnime

I dont have any problems with people giving it flak, discussing the moral issues etc...the problem is when governments go out and actually BAN games from stores.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Something tells me that if this was an American airport we're in and we were mowing down American civilians, IW would probably receive twice as much flak as they are already receiving.robertlie

I dont have any problems with people giving it flak, discussing the moral issues etc...the problem is when governments go out and actually BAN games from stores.

They didn't.

carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 carlosjuero

Post i quoted deleted so removing quoted text and reply

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Sorry - but the political correctness has become ridiculous - the problem is with Muslim terrorists - not Russia.

CNN is even trying to paint the Ft Hood terrorist as a victim - this **** is out of control.