Rumor: Nvidia 980Ti/Titan Next and AMD 380X/390X Benchmarks

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

GCN/CUDA CoresPerformance Relative to GTX 980
Bermuda XT / R9 390X4480-4736145%
GM200 “full fat” / Titan 22816-3072134%
Cut Down GM200 / GTX 980 Ti ?2688123%
Fiji XT / R9 380X3584-3840117%

Source:

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

amd rules go team red woot

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

145% over a 980 would be impressive!!

I doubt it would be that much. <------ hope I'm wrong.

I can feel my wallet cowering deep in my pocket with a scared look in him...

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

That's hard to believe.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Hope in 3 months these cards come out... It's nice to see big increases and not small tiny ones.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Any word on price for the 380X/390X?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12805 Posts

I doubt that AMD going to pull anything above 15% faster than the 980, but we'll have to wait and see

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

I read that too but...

The original source iis from chip hell (which is most of the time inaccurate)...

They assuming the theoritical performances of 2/3/4/5 GPUs that we don't even have a clue on what manufacturing proccess they will be made.

They took the rumor in a whole diffrenet level.

Anyway if (highly doubt) this graph is true, I am more impressed with the performance / power consumption jump of FijiXT. This is reaching maxwell levels of efficiency.

This would be a bigger leap in the performance efficiency between architectures than maxwell was.

Oh and about the release date. I read that the new GPUs will be ready in June 2015...

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

Is it true that the 980ti is delayed to 2016?

http://wccftech.com/tsmc-buys-14b-worth-equipment-16nm-volume-prediction-begins-q2q3-2015/

I dont think so, Nvidia wont sit on a new line of gpu's for over a year when AMD's new line will be out before too long. Chances are they will release the 960 on 28nm and 980ti on 20nm, if they have issues will be on 28nm.

mundus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By mundus
Member since 2003 • 453 Posts

I am buying 390X when it comes out, question is do you think my 750W power supply can handle it? Or do you guys think i need more power? I know you know nothing about my PC, but would a 750W be enough if all you have is 1 SSD and 1 regular 2TB drive, not even a disc drive?

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

If even remotely accurate that is kinda impressive, although I have a really good feeling the increase in performance over the GTX980 is not gonna be anywhere near that amount come release.

IF it is somewhat accurate, I wonder what Nvidia will do with Pascal in response.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

will the 380x be over $350 or not?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

Isn't the 380X a 290X refresh?

@klunt_bumskrint said:

145% over a 980 would be impressive!!

I doubt it would be that much. <------ hope I'm wrong.

I can feel my wallet cowering deep in my pocket with a scared look in him...

Yeah that is hell of an improvement.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 insane_metalist

@silversix_ said:

will the 380x be over $350 or not?

Should be around $350.

G-pro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By G-pro
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I'm pretty happy with my SLI setup with two of these bad boys http://www.64bitz.com/components/graphics-cards/gv-n970wf3oc-4gd-graphics-card-geforce-gtx-970-4-gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0/

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I wonder what Titan 2 prices to expect..

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 insane_metalist

@KHAndAnime said:

Probably $1500.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KHAndAnime

@insane_metalist said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Probably $1500.

I don't like SLI but a second GTX 980 is looking like the smartest next step for me.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 insane_metalist

@KHAndAnime said:

@insane_metalist said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Probably $1500.

I don't like SLI but a second GTX 980 is looking like the smartest next step for me.

SLI is fun! I had tons of fun with my GTX 780 Ti's. Definitely a good way to gain some power (instead of losing money).

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KHAndAnime

@insane_metalist said:

SLI is fun! I had tons of fun with my GTX 780 Ti's. Definitely a good way to gain some power (instead of losing money).

My experience with my 5850 Crossfire setup was less than stellar. But I guess things have improved since then.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 insane_metalist

@KHAndAnime said:

@insane_metalist said:

My experience with my 5850 Crossfire setup was less than stellar. But I guess things have improved since then.

That was so long ago! At least give it a shot, you can always return a GPU. I personally love SLI/Crossfire. If anything you can always disable a second card.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lach0121

@insane_metalist: I too had SLI back in the day with the 8800gt.

Though since then I have not returned for a few reasons.

1. Heat. Although with Maxwell Nvidia has definitely become more efficient there.

2. Power Consumption. Just like with the heat issues, Nvidia with Maxwell also has become far more efficient in this area as well.

3. Noise. A lot of these cards now offer noiseless versions, our STRIX 970s as an example

4. VRAM does not stack. Well, now if the games support split frame rendering with multi-gpu setups, then this isn't an issue anymore either, but not all games support it, including some coming out

5. Compatibility issues with certain games. This is still the wild card, still hit or miss depending on developers, and drivers. Although, to be fair, this has also improved greatly over the years.

6. Micro-stuttering. Although I don't know for sure, but I have heard the last few generations of cards for SLI/Xfire don't actually suffer from this much anymore.

While I still don't feel like SLI is the way to go for me personally with my rig quite yet (as I need it as quiet, and stable as possible, while still being a hardcore gaming rig/music production rig) It is becoming a far more reasonable route to go for a powerful gaming rig. Maybe over the next few years whats left of those 6 main points will be reduced further, and give me a reason to go SLI.

However, we are really entertaining the idea of having my GF's rig with SLI. I mean setting her up with our 2 GTX970's on DX12, will give her all the power she would need at 1080p for many years. While I can get just one powerful quiet card.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By insane_metalist

@Lach0121 said:

@insane_metalist: I too had SLI back in the day with the 8800gt.

Though since then I have not returned for a few reasons.

1. Heat. Although with Maxwell Nvidia has definitely become more efficient there.

2. Power Consumption. Just like with the heat issues, Nvidia with Maxwell also has become far more efficient in this area as well.

3. Noise. A lot of these cards now offer noiseless versions, our STRIX 970s as an example

4. VRAM does not stack. Well, now if the games support split frame rendering with multi-gpu setups, then this isn't an issue anymore either, but not all games support it, including some coming out

5. Compatibility issues with certain games. This is still the wild card, still hit or miss depending on developers, and drivers. Although, to be fair, this has also improved greatly over the years.

6. Micro-stuttering. Although I don't know for sure, but I have heard the last few generations of cards for SLI/Xfire don't actually suffer from this much anymore.

While I still don't feel like SLI is the way to go for me personally with my rig quite yet (as I need it as quiet, and stable as possible, while still being a hardcore gaming rig/music production rig) It is becoming a far more reasonable route to go for a powerful gaming rig. Maybe over the next few years whats left of those 6 main points will be reduced further, and give me a reason to go SLI.

However, we are really entertaining the idea of having my GF's rig with SLI. I mean setting her up with our 2 GTX970's on DX12, will give her all the power she would need at 1080p for many years. While I can get just one powerful quiet card.

1. Heat is not an issue anymore on Nvidia's side. As for me: I don't mind the heat from my cards. In the winter they keep my room warm, in summer it doesn't effect me due to AC.

2. Power Consumption also isn't an issue on Nvidia's side. As for me: I don't really mind it, just keep a beefier PSU.

3. Noise is out of the question since most of Nvidia 900 series cards are so silent. As for me: I have a custom fan profile and if anything I could always put a Kraken G10 + closed loop cooler or even go with air.. something like, one of Arctic's coolers.

4. VRAM isn't really a problem if you (currently) have a 4GB card.

5. Most games do support SLI/Crossfire now days.

6. Drivers have matured a lot and personally I have not experienced stuttering (recently). I'm not sure how Nvidia drivers are at this moment. But 6 months ago when I was using SLI everything was fine.

SLI GTX 970's would last her for a good while (specially @ 1080P).

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lach0121

@insane_metalist: lol you kinda echoed me a little there, but I think we are in agreement for the most part. A few more years of these style of improvements, and I might go SLI for my own rig. But its not quiet there yet for me personally. However, with these improvements, they are easily a fantastic choice for her rig. (as her's isn't needed to be quite as quiet as mine)

Good to hear of another SLI story that doesn't experience stuttering.

For people who are basically just gaming, and normal PC stuff, then yea SLI is a very reasonable route to go these days.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By insane_metalist

@Lach0121 said:

@insane_metalist: lol you kinda echoed me a little there, but I think we are in agreement for the most part. A few more years of these style of improvements, and I might go SLI for my own rig. But its not quiet there yet for me personally. However, with these improvements, they are easily a fantastic choice for her rig. (as her's isn't needed to be quite as quiet as mine)

Good to hear of another SLI story that doesn't experience stuttering.

For people who are basically just gaming, and normal PC stuff, then yea SLI is a very reasonable route to go these days.

You should really consider SLI when DX12 will be here.

But as far as Heat, Power Consumption and Noise that all has been fixed on Nvidia's side. I wonder what AMD is going to bring to the table. It'd be nice to see quiet, efficient and cooler cards by AMD.

BTW why do you need such a "quiet" rig?

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lach0121

@insane_metalist: Music production. I will be recording with a condenser mic, so as quiet a room as possible (whether audible noise, or electromagnetic noise)

I am even (more than likely) going to build a faraday cage (with embedded soundproofing) around my pc as well. (this will help with the single coil pickups in one or two of my guitars)

Depending on how far Nvidia takes Pascal's efficiency then I might actually go SLI, for DX12. I am not ruling it out just yet, but it will have to improve even over what they have now with Maxwell, before I do it in my rig.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 insane_metalist

@Lach0121 said:

@insane_metalist: Music production. I will be recording with a condenser mic, so as quiet a room as possible (whether audible noise, or electromagnetic noise)

I am even (more than likely) going to build a faraday cage (with embedded soundproofing) around my pc as well. (this will help with the single coil pickups in one or two of my guitars)

Depending on how far Nvidia takes Pascal's efficiency then I might actually go SLI, for DX12. I am not ruling it out just yet, but it will have to improve even over what they have now with Maxwell, before I do it in my rig.

Oh, that's wussup. That's pretty cool actually. My bro is in a band, they do lots of recording, video editing, etc.

We'll just have to see what future brings.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By horgen  Moderator

Hmm.. Isn't that GCN cores number for Bermuda (390X) rather high? Last I heard, they where talking about 4000 something for 390X, and 3500 something for 390.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By insane_metalist

@horgen said:

Hmm.. Isn't that GCN cores number for Bermuda (390X) rather high? Last I heard, they where talking about 4000 something for 390X, and 3500 something for 390.

That's what I was thinking too, a little too high. But we'll find out really soon.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

This years cards are fairly irrelevant to me, still important to see who does what though. I'm on a skip year for my GPU, my 780ti is still more than enough :) Besides it may be better waiting for DX12 to come out and GPU's are designed to use all the features.

I find it hard to believe that the 390x will out perform a 980 by 145% and a Titan 2 by 11%. Large pinch of salt needed with that table, I think.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 horgen  Moderator

@GarGx1 said:

This years cards are fairly irrelevant to me, still important to see who does what though. I'm on a skip year for my GPU, my 780ti is still more than enough :) Besides it may be better waiting for DX12 to come out and GPU's are designed to use all the features.

I find it hard to believe that the 390x will out perform a 980 by 145% and a Titan 2 by 11%. Large pinch of salt needed with that table, I think.

Relative to the GTX 980 performance. But yes I am also skeptic to those numbers.