revisiting older games with better hardware

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackcee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 blackcee
Member since 2004 • 511 Posts

I recently got the "what am I gonna play now " feeling with some of the newer titles I have.

I looked up and thought, hmm....maybe I should install that again.

I did:  NOLF 2, MYST, RIVEN, Thief 3:DS,kotor, and ol' PK.

It's almost a whole new game all over (except for ,well, I played it before)

,but turning up the sound and the hardware changes since then make it alot of fun.

Busted out some civilization= blast!   

Give it a try if your wondering what to play next or waiting for it to come out.

(I lost/sold/gaveaway so many titles, but hey who knew they would want their first copy of  deus ex back?)

Firingdudes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Firingdudes
Member since 2006 • 39 Posts

I revived elderscrolls: Morrowind on my new computer and  it runs like a charm, the game is 10X better now. I originaly played it with a old ass HP pavilion.

:1.5GHZ willamete

:384mb pc 133 RAM

: Geforce  2 MX

I could barely walk in a straight line looking down the ground without stuttering.

Another game is operation flashpoint: Resistance, for some reason it cant be maxed but its much more better looking/fluid now then on my old computer. 

blackcee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blackcee

yea, exactly, they seem to play smoother now after a few upfrades.

plus, some older games told great stories.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
Playing older games on new systems can be great fun but with some older games compatiblity issues creep in.
acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 acidBURN1942
Member since 2002 • 4816 Posts
Yea I still play all my old games all the way back to my Icewind Dale days! Though I never notice any graphical updates because if I ever bought a game then I was able to run it at the maximum when I bought it so I rarely see increase in old games, but every once in awhile I do and I love it.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
I always do that. When I upgrade next time I bet I'll fire up Oblivion again just to see how it runs.
skyjuicerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 skyjuicerz
Member since 2005 • 175 Posts
Oh yeah, Its a really fun thing to do. I still remember the joy when i upgraded from my radeon 9550 to a GeForce 7600 and I installed far cry and played it on high settings. I almost burst into tears when seeing how much graphics and performance I have been missing.
Hurvl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hurvl
Member since 2005 • 2224 Posts

I recently got the "what am I gonna play now " feeling with some of the newer titles I have.

,but turning up the sound and the hardware changes since then make it alot of fun.

Give it a try if your wondering what to play next or waiting for it to come out.

(I lost/sold/gaveaway so many titles, but hey who knew they would want their first copy of  deus ex back?)

blackcee

I'm about to start up the first KotOR and I thought that I would increase the graphical settings, to see if it made a difference. It didn't make any difference when I tried switching between 800*600 and 1024*768 resolutions, but it's still a great game, even if it doesn't look any better with increased settings. 

blackcee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blackcee
[QUOTE="blackcee"]

Hurvl

I'm about to start up the first KotOR and I thought that I would increase the graphical settings, to see if it made a difference. It didn't make any difference when I tried switching between 800*600 and 1024*768 resolutions, but it's still a great game, even if it doesn't look any better with increased settings. 

I bought kotor on launch and had to play with grass off and all that crap,...high res all on it's alot better, plus the cpu power stops the "twitches" in the game. It's running smoooth and definatley more fun this second time around for me.
acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 acidBURN1942
Oh yeah, Its a really fun thing to do. I still remember the joy when i upgraded from my radeon 9550 to a GeForce 7600 and I installed far cry and played it on high settings. I almost burst into tears when seeing how much graphics and performance I have been missing.skyjuicerz
I have yet to go back and play Farcry on max settings and I too have a 7600 GT! I think I will play this tilla STALKER patch comes out.
yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 yian
Member since 2003 • 5166 Posts
For me, Morrowind is this one game that, no matter how good the hardware gets, it never performs well. And I think I know why... I have way too many mods. :(
Rayze78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Rayze78
Member since 2004 • 456 Posts
I've been playing a couple older titles that I used to love. I started playing Mafia and a little bit of Need for Speed 3. I remember buying Mafia when it came out and I couldnt even play it on my computer. My first build had a 900 Duron cpu and everything else was pretty low end. But I could manage to play it. Now I have a pretty nice computer and the game runs without a hitch. This will be my 3rd time playing it through. Great game! One of my favorites.
acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 acidBURN1942
I've been playing a couple older titles that I used to love. I started playing Mafia and a little bit of Need for Speed 3. I remember buying Mafia when it came out and I couldnt even play it on my computer. My first build had a 900 Duron cpu and everything else was pretty low end. But I could manage to play it. Now I have a pretty nice computer and the game runs without a hitch. This will be my 3rd time playing it through. Great game! One of my favorites.Rayze78
and its a crying shame they cancelled Mafia 2, easily one of the best games ever.
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 shockwave04
Member since 2002 • 19257 Posts
I have a hard tiem playing older games with my new rig. Like Freedom Fighters, it keeps crashing. I think its because it doesn't support my new graphics card.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts
Since when did KOTOR, Deus Ex, Far Cry, and even Icewind Dale become older games?  Man you guys make me feel old :|
acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 acidBURN1942
Since when did KOTOR, Deus Ex, Far Cry, and even Icewind Dale become older games? Man you guys make me feel old :|mrbojangles25
lol! I agree with the other games even up to Deus Ex, but come on Icewind Dale is old.
patacak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 patacak
Member since 2005 • 252 Posts
I agree. I played Fa Cry on a low profile PC 2 years ago and I ran it all at low specs and the game had many glitches. I managed to finish the game but I didn't enjoy it... so if you asked me about Far Cry 2 years ago I would have given it a 60% Now with a better PC I can run the game at maximum details, and with all the glitches gone with the patches. so now that i´ve replayed it feels a really amazing new experience, now I would give it a 92%....
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Playing older games on new systems can be great fun but with some older games compatiblity issues creep in.zeus_gb

Hopefully I don't have that problem with Fallout and Grim Fandango, both of which I recently installed and am finally playing them for the first time ever.

Rayze78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Rayze78
Member since 2004 • 456 Posts
I agree, Mafia 2 being cancelled was a huge disappointment!
spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 spierdalaj666
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts

Here's a tip to some of you guys playing older games. I recently started playing thief 2 again and the blasted game would keep on locking up my computer. It turns out that games made in the 90s do not take particularly well to dual core CPUs :lol:

To fix this i simply launched thief 2, minimized the screen, went to task manager, right clicked on the exe, selected set affinity, and unchecked cpu 1, and now the game works like a charm.

Not sure if this will be helpful to the rest of you, but then again who knows.

ps. thief 2 still rocks after all these games, now that i can play it with a 1024*768 resolution :P

Javaguychronox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Javaguychronox
Member since 2007 • 175 Posts

mm, I like re-playing old games again, and it is nice when they run 10000X better than they used to.  I first played GTA3 on a laptop with 16mbs of Vram, and it was stuck at 640x480 on low everything. I recently put it onto my newer PC and its like a completely different game! It also funny laughing when you cant see the pictures on the loadscreen, when older games load ridiculously quickly :)

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Half Life 1/2 before (radeon 9200) and after (x800GTO) was fun for me ;) Same for Kotor and a few others.