Regarding prices of PC games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

I know that the standard price for most PC games in the US is $60. I live in a third world country, and I'm noticing something strange. Even here, there is a standard price for most PC games. But there are certain games by Blizzard (Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3), Activision (Call of Duty Series) and EA (Battlefield series) which cost more than double the other games at launch. I'm talking only about retail games here, because I know that on Steam and other digital services, games cost more or less the same throughout the world. Still, I'm shocked that the games I have mentioned cost more than double compared to all other games. So I just wanted to know, is it the same case in countries like US, UK, Australia etc. with respect to retail copies of these particular games?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Of course, games which are super popular can crank the price up a bit and get away with it.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

most retail games in the US are $49.99 with the occasional 60 for a game from a more 'greedy' publisher, i.e. EA, Bioware

creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 creaturemagic
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts

Well most games retail at $80-$90 in Australia anyway, but yes, the games you mentioned are higher than the average price, generally clocking in at $100-$110 per game. Even Steam sometimes is forced by publishers to ramp the price up for Australians. Greenmangaming was in the same situation and thought it unfair, therefore offered all Aussies a 10 year voucher that reduced the prices of inflated games back down to the standard $50-$60. 

*Insert Good guy greenmangaming picture here*

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#5 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

In the US standard price for boxed games is $50 while the greedier publishers charge $60.  Over the past two years I've purchased two boxed games only: The Witcher 2 (because I love CD Projekt) and Diablo III (because I got caught in the hype....) otherwise it's been all digital so prices haven't been an issue for me.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

In the USA, Activision games (Blizzard is under Activision) release usually at $60. They don't have as many major sales nor do they drop in price nearly as fast as the games of most other publishers.

JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JohnFifteen12
Member since 2012 • 205 Posts

A couple years ago I decided to only purchase a game when it was $10 or less (with a few exceptions) and that has worked out great for me. I don't mind waiting a year or two for a game's price to drop that low, and if they don't, I just keep waiting until they do. I've got the time. lol

As long as the games continue to go on sale like they do, it doesn't really concern me what they cost initially.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside

A couple years ago I decided to only purchase a game when it was $10 or less (with a few exceptions) and that has worked out great for me. I don't mind waiting a year or two for a game's price to drop that low, and if they don't, I just keep waiting until they do. I've got the time. lol

As long as the games continue to go on sale like they do, it doesn't really concern me what they cost initially.

JohnFifteen12
So I guess u'll never play COD or Blizzard games lol....
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnFifteen12"]

FelipeInside

Yeah right. Even Modern Warfare 2, released 4 years ago, is still being sold here for just 10% less than its launch price (which was again more than double of other games). Anyway, this isn't affecting me much. I'm not at all interested in pure role-playing games like Starcraft and Diablo (I prefer action role-playing games like Mass Effect and Borderlands, which have third-person or first person view), which rules out Blizzard. As for the COD series, I lost interest in that after World at War, because it has been more of the same every year, only with a fresh coat of paint. The Battlefield series is the only one which concerns me, because I find it to be excellent, especially the multi-player. Although Battlefield games do get limited price drops (unlike Blizzard and COD games, where the drops are negligible), I purchase them at launch because the number of gamers playing online gradually decreases with the passing of time. So it doesn't make sense to buy a Battlefield game after 4 years even with a significant price drop, because that would also mean a signifiant drop in the online community.

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
[QUOTE="JohnFifteen12"]

FelipeInside

To be honest Felipeinside, Blizzard hasn't released a game recently that I would consider worthwhile to pay full price for. SC2 would be the only one maybe, but SC1 is still equal to SC2 gameplay wise IMO. As for CoD well I'd rather not go there. Let's just say I'm not a huge fan of the series.
JohnFifteen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JohnFifteen12
Member since 2012 • 205 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnFifteen12"]

FelipeInside

That is why I said "with a few exceptions". With a game like COD, where I know that I will be playing the multiplayer constantly, I feel that the $60 price tag is justified, so I will purchase a game like that @ full price.

Blizzard games aren't really my thing, so I won't pay top dollar for them.

There really are only a handful of games that I am willing to spend $50-$60 on (COD was always one, and Titanfall will be another) but all of the rest fall under my "$10 or less" category.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Usually PC games are cheap, but the console ports are outrageously expensive. When you factor in digital distribution and how much money it saves the publisher, you realize pretty quickly that PC gamers are getting shafted.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

The only PC game I've paid over £40 for is Diablo III. Wasn't worth it.

BadBoY_AC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 BadBoY_AC
Member since 2005 • 2109 Posts
try steam.. i know its not perfect.. and not many ppl like it.. but i think they do a nice job with those sales every week.. they got sometimes really nice prices especially older games are failry easy to get cheap if the timing is right.. might be worth a try..
Morrydwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Morrydwen
Member since 2013 • 28 Posts
The last game I bought (and at full price) was Max Payne 3 for 60 euros. Before that I will have to go back several years. I guess F.E.A.R. in 2005 for 55 euros. All the rest in between I purchased ultra-cheap. I might pay the full amount for Divinity Original Sin. Hell are there actually that many good games coming out worthy of being priced 50 euro?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside

The last game I bought (and at full price) was Max Payne 3 for 60 euros. Before that I will have to go back several years. I guess F.E.A.R. in 2005 for 55 euros. All the rest in between I purchased ultra-cheap. I might pay the full amount for Divinity Original Sin. Hell are there actually that many good games coming out worthy of being priced 50 euro?Morrydwen

Well that's a tricky question.  Maybe ask yourself, why shouldn't a developer get full credit for their hard work at launch?  

Morrydwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Morrydwen

[QUOTE="Morrydwen"]The last game I bought (and at full price) was Max Payne 3 for 60 euros. Before that I will have to go back several years. I guess F.E.A.R. in 2005 for 55 euros. All the rest in between I purchased ultra-cheap. I might pay the full amount for Divinity Original Sin. Hell are there actually that many good games coming out worthy of being priced 50 euro?FelipeInside

Well that's a tricky question.  Maybe ask yourself, why shouldn't a developer get full credit for their hard work at launch?  

Because most games are lazy console ports ?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="Morrydwen"]The last game I bought (and at full price) was Max Payne 3 for 60 euros. Before that I will have to go back several years. I guess F.E.A.R. in 2005 for 55 euros. All the rest in between I purchased ultra-cheap. I might pay the full amount for Divinity Original Sin. Hell are there actually that many good games coming out worthy of being priced 50 euro?Morrydwen

Because most games are lazy console ports ?

Incorrect, if you look at most games they work perfectly well on PC. The lazy consoles ports are the minority.

Morrydwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Morrydwen
I have not been following lately. Can you recommend any good games which came out this year and last year which were made for the pc?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Morrydwen"]I have not been following lately. Can you recommend any good games which came out this year and last year which were made for the pc?

Well, a game doesn't have to be a PC exclusive to be good. I can only comment on the games I've played this year, which are roughly Guild Wars 2, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Castlevania, Starcraft 2, Xcom, Walking Dead, Black Ops 2, Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn, Remember Me, Deadpool, Hitman Absolution and a few others... Some of these PC exclusives, others are multiplatforms but by no means a bad port.
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

[QUOTE="Morrydwen"]I have not been following lately. Can you recommend any good games which came out this year and last year which were made for the pc?FelipeInside
Well, a game doesn't have to be a PC exclusive to be good. I can only comment on the games I've played this year, which are roughly Guild Wars 2, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Castlevania, Starcraft 2, Xcom, Walking Dead, Black Ops 2, Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn, Remember Me, Deadpool, Hitman Absolution and a few others... Some of these PC exclusives, others are multiplatforms but by no means a bad port.

I agree. The only port that was truly bad in my experience was Dark Souls. Even then, the mod that I installed fixed those issues quickly. Everything else, buttery smooth.

sandeep410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sandeep410
Member since 2004 • 1180 Posts

I get all games at 20$ but some like diablo and cod are 40-50

I got GTA4 at launch for 10$

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#23 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
In Australia, the price localization is pretty wild for digital games. Some publishers will charge a straight $50 USD. Others will crank up the price as high as $90. Activision, 2K, Sega, Bethesda being the worst offenders of price localization. Oddly enough, EA and Ubisoft arent that bad with games costing $60-$70, with Square Enix, Warner Bros Int and Capcom being the 3 -major- publishers that price their games evenly in accordance to US prices. In retail, it's usually a flat $80-$90 RRP for a new release game.