RAM for dell dimension

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rowmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rowmstr
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
          im a bit behind on upgrading my ram on my comp. im still using 256 mb of it, and the newer and newer games are requiring around the 512 mb mark. can someone give advice as to what size or manufacturer of ram i should get? also, for a cheaper price?
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

First you need to find out what type of RAM your motherboard takes, probably by looking at the user manual that came with your computer and/or by checking out the dell website community forums or by going to a RAM manufacturer website and they often have a utility that will figure out what type of RAM you need by the information you supply.

Then you need to order a "matched pair" of RAM sticks from your fav place, like newegg.com .....I got mine (the fastest it would take) for a DIM 5100 awhile ago for about $160. (Two 1G sticks = 2G's)

ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ForlornHope
Member since 2006 • 1809 Posts
im a bit behind on upgrading my ram on my comp. im still using 256 mb of it, and the newer and newer games are requiring around the 512 mb mark. can someone give advice as to what size or manufacturer of ram i should get? also, for a cheaper price? rowmstr

use pcwizard 2006 to see how much ram you can use. and dont bother about the maker. brand has almost nothing to do with performance.
rowmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rowmstr
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
     hey thanks for the help
ZBoater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZBoater
Member since 2003 • 1855 Posts
     hey thanks for the helprowmstr
Head on over to Cruicial's website http://www.crucial.com/index.asp and they will do a system scan and tell you exactly what you have and need.