Radeon 4850 Strangely cheap...HELP ! ! ! !

This topic is locked from further discussion.

w0olf_fang47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 w0olf_fang47
Member since 2010 • 64 Posts
As far as i know, the ati radeon 4850 HD (1 GB) costs around 6000 - 7000 Indian rupees. i.e $ 120 - 140 (American Dollars) (Prices increase vastly when you are living in small towns). It was yesterday that I went to a small computer store where the person there told me that the same graphics card was available for mere 2500 Rupees ( $ 50). I ignored his stupidity, but just this morning, another dealer told me the same, i.e about 2400 Rupees. That got me totally confused. I asked him weather I could see the card, the card was not available then, But he was preety confident. So plz guys, should i go for the cheap one, risking the perfomance, or the costlier one??? Are there two different ATI Radeon 4850 that I am unaware of??? And while you answer that, i just wanted to ask... whats better... A - A PC with AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE ( 3.2 Ghz) Processor with 4 GB DDR3 Ram on the cheapest DDR3 Ram supporting Asus Motherboard... OR B - A PC with AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE (3.2 Ghz) Processor with 4 GB DDR2 Ram on the cheapest DDR2 Ram supporting Asus Motherboard... Assuming rest of the configuration same... Thank you very much... for reading... plz help me guys..
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

i have a 4850 :0 love it to bits. why not buy all their stock, then sell it to americans on ebay :D

freesafety13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freesafety13
Member since 2008 • 823 Posts
I would go with the Phenom II X4 with the ddr2. DDR3 is only necessary if your overclocking and the limiting factor to your overclock is the ram. With 1066Mhz DDR2 you should be fine up to 4.0Ghz on your cpu. With that said, if you want better gaming performance, why not hold off on the cpu/ram/motherboard upgrade and get a 4870 or better gpu? Unless, of course, you're doing a brand new build.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

yes they WERE expensive but even here their dirt cheap.. you cna pick up a 4850 (in most places) for about 85-75 bucks. id ask about a return policy (if any) for defective products because that still seems fishy but considering theirs only a 25 dollar difference i wouldnt be too concerned.

so yeah dont freak out. and odds are its from a lower tier company like visiontek or powercolor still great gpu though.

stoutlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 stoutlad
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts
There is also a 512mb 4850. Maybe that's why it's cheaper.
PenthiusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 PenthiusX
Member since 2007 • 222 Posts

Well id strongly suggest u don't buy a 4850 rather go with a 5770 1gb instead i just checked the prices here and its only Rs 9500 ...its has nearly double the performance compared to a 9800gt and has Dx 11 support.

Im frm Chandigarh and am pretty sure the price frm where u live aren't any different .. I personally have a 5870 its around 15k ,but as im not sure how much u can stretch ur budget or i would have recommended this..

And yes the 4850s price could be tht low as all nvidia 9x and Hd4x rates have dropped since last years december and u may have stumbled on a wholesaler ... the always have stuff cheaper than the warez shops.

iliatay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iliatay
Member since 2008 • 1325 Posts

Well id strongly suggest u don't buy a 4850 rather go with a 5770 1gb instead i just checked the prices here and its only Rs 9500 ...its has nearly double the performance compared to a 9800gt and has Dx 11 support.

Im frm Chandigarh and am pretty sure the price frm where u live aren't any different .. I personally have a 5870 its around 15k ,but as im not sure how much u can stretch ur budget or i would have recommended this..

And yes the 4850s price could be tht low as all nvidia 9x and Hd4x rates have dropped since last years december and u may have stumbled on a wholesaler ... the always have stuff cheaper than the warez shops.

PenthiusX
the 5770 is not nearly double the performance and dx11 doesnt really give it a plus since there are barely any gamesw that use it. 4850 is wayy better for the money than the 5770. DO NOT go for anything else if you can get the 4850 for 50 bucks.
PenthiusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PenthiusX

[QUOTE="PenthiusX"]

iliatay

the 5770 is not nearly double the performance and dx11 doesn't really give it a plus since there are barely any games that use it. 4850 is wayy better for the money than the 5770. DO NOT go for anything else if you can get the 4850 for 50 bucks.

I dont kno what old games u play but most Recent and good games all use Dx11 Be it Dirt2,Metro,Avp,Battlefield BC.

Well i may have gone a little overboard but it still gives performance boost thats to the ratio 3:2 over a 9800gt with Dx 11, and with better tessellation a Better value can be expected as time goes.

Andon topic w0olf_fang47 i just checked out the rates fr u, i couldn't get the 4850s price lower than Rs 7.5k and everywhere else ill be round 8.5 to 8.7k and its the 512mb model ... so chk if its genuine, sometimes dealers sell off replaced stuff than has already reached warranty expiration.

And sometimes there dumb enuf to mix up the names .. especially small scale dealers or wholsalers

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

at that price, Id put two in a crossfire.

iliatay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 iliatay
Member since 2008 • 1325 Posts

[QUOTE="iliatay"][QUOTE="PenthiusX"]

PenthiusX

the 5770 is not nearly double the performance and dx11 doesn't really give it a plus since there are barely any games that use it. 4850 is wayy better for the money than the 5770. DO NOT go for anything else if you can get the 4850 for 50 bucks.

I dont kno what old games u play but most Recent and good games all use Dx11 Be it Dirt2,Metro,Avp,Battlefield BC.

Well i may have gone a little overboard but it still gives performance boost thats to the ratio 3:2 over a 9800gt with Dx 11, and with better tessellation a Better value can be expected as time goes.

Andon topic w0olf_fang47 i just checked out the rates fr u, i couldn't get the 4850s price lower than Rs 7.5k and everywhere else ill be round 8.5 to 8.7k and its the 512mb model ... so chk if its genuine, sometimes dealers sell off replaced stuff than has already reached warranty expiration.

And sometimes there dumb enuf to mix up the names .. especially small scale dealers or wholsalers

i'd like to see anyone run any of those games with tesselation and be happy with it.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="iliatay"][QUOTE="PenthiusX"]

PenthiusX

there isnt a point its not like any games REQUIRE as a MINIMUM that hd 5770 the 4850 sitll does really well. it kicked the bojangles otu of ever game i threw at it and the only reason i upgraded to a 5830 was because i jsut wasnt happy with min 30 fps in a couple of titles and had the money to burn for a new gpu

besides over in india prices are normally higher than here to recommend that hd 5770 would be asking him to nearly multiply that price by 4 in some place lol. which would translate to like 200 buck US :P id sooner pay 50 bucks than 200 :P especially considering any job the 5770 can handle the 4850/5750 can aswell :P

w0olf_fang47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 w0olf_fang47
Both f u guys, Thank u so much fr ur overwelmin response. U see the hailarious fact is that i hav a mere 21,000 rs ($350-400) budgt for all cpu,mobo,gcard & ram & hard disk too. My orignal pc dated back to adam & eve's era with intel celeron d cpu, old mobo, 2 gb ddr2 ram & 8400 gs gcard. My new config hopefully wil b Amd phenon x2 955 cpu (8000-9000 rs) cheapest supporting mobo (2400), ram can wait, samsung,seagate hard disk(2500) & rest goes fr gcard. I kno a lot bout 5770 too, but i askd this dukanwala & he said it costs 13,000 rs. So, i'l make sure i ask mor dealrs bout it first. Also, u r comp right bout stupidity f dealrs here, i live in wardha, maharashtra, & ppl here are so dumb. And to chandigar guy, thanks a lot fr info, bt plz can u do me anotr favour by telling me d cost f my above mentioned config if possible. Not necessary though, its hot out here in india. And also, can u mention good changes for my rig. I want 2 stick wit my cpu selection. & gcard can also wait for a month addin 2000 rs to budget. What is ur say. & my friend here is taking costlier 4850, so i'd take the box & gcard 2 d person who's sellin it cheaper to compare if they are the same. Thank u once again. Plz rply.
w0olf_fang47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 w0olf_fang47
Its amd phenom II x4 955, not x2. Sry.
PenthiusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PenthiusX

Both f u guys, Thank u so much fr ur overwelmin response. U see the hailarious fact is that i hav a mere 21,000 rs ($350-400) budgt for all cpu,mobo,gcard & ram & hard disk too. My orignal pc dated back to adam & eve's era with intel celeron d cpu, old mobo, 2 gb ddr2 ram & 8400 gs gcard. My new config hopefully wil b Amd phenon x2 955 cpu (8000-9000 rs) cheapest supporting mobo (2400), ram can wait, samsung,seagate hard disk(2500) & rest goes fr gcard. I kno a lot bout 5770 too, but i askd this dukanwala & he said it costs 13,000 rs. So, i'l make sure i ask mor dealrs bout it first. Also, u r comp right bout stupidity f dealrs here, i live in wardha, maharashtra, & ppl here are so dumb. And to chandigar guy, thanks a lot fr info, bt plz can u do me anotr favour by telling me d cost f my above mentioned config if possible. Not necessary though, its hot out here in india. And also, can u mention good changes for my rig. I want 2 stick wit my cpu selection. & gcard can also wait for a month addin 2000 rs to budget. What is ur say. & my friend here is taking costlier 4850, so i'd take the box & gcard 2 d person who's sellin it cheaper to compare if they are the same. Thank u once again. Plz rply.w0olf_fang47

Ok ill recommend tht u wait it out for a few months get ur budget upto 30k or u could risk getting stuck to a system u wont be satisfied with..(Well that is if u havent already)

ill write out a balanced rig- *These r aproxx values here ..try gettiing as close to em*

Processor - Either an i5 750 or a phenom ll 955BE well ill recomend the i5 but its around 1k costlier, with the phenom being around 8 to 9k.

Mother board - well i wont get into specific names but buy a Mobo that supports the processor u choose and has a 1600 mhz bus support (anything less ull just bottleneck the Cpu)thatl cost u under 6k chk what is best .

Ram - Buy a DDr 3 16000mhz either Gskill or corsair , i prefer gskill cus its a little cheaper for similar performance (Try the cheaper ones or else they wont fit ur budget) The costlier ones have a marginally better latencies but nothing that cant be ignored .

Hdd - Buy a hitachi or a segate dont go for the Western digital . id say a Tb gosts 3.6k and 500gb cost round 2.5 to 2.6k

Gpu - If ur going for economy with great gaming go for a card tht can kill all games at 720p - 5770 = 9.5k , 9800gt \ 8800gt = 6.5k \ 4.5 to 5.5k and the hd 4850 is round 8.5k .

Psu - This is the most important cus if u dont get a good ennuf Psu ull keep frying out one thing or the other (belive me many ppl take this lightly and end up bottoms up) -- Get either a corsair , coller master or anything tht has atleast 500watts , anything more than 25 amps on both +12v rails and a dedicated 6 pin connector . Do not go for Sli ready ones cus they turn out costlier than there worth . Do not part with more than 3.5 to 4k on this.

Adding all this can vary frm 25k to 32k so chk what fits try to get 2 gigs of ram rather than 4; upgrade later itl save some buks .

w0olf_fang47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 w0olf_fang47
PenthiusX, thank u once again for your respones and expert opinion... See the thing is that i already stretched my budget fom 12 to 15 to 18 to 21K. if now i ask my father for more money, he'll kick my aass out of the house, Worse, sell my kidney for the money. Worst : Cancle the whole part... Concerning your statement about the 955 BE vs i5, the fact that 955 is much better than i5 in performance/price ratio, not forgetting the fact that the cost of MObo's using socket 1156, ( for i5, if i got it right), which starts from around 6 - 7 K, as compared with the cheapest AM3 MOBO which is around 2300.. Once again I have to agree on the fact that a cheap MoBo will bottleneck my CPU, but I strictly cannot afford a DDR3 Ram due to crazy increase in the prices of the the RAM's. May by, I will upgrade my Mobo next year. But right now i can only afford the cheapest MObo available in the market, and fix a 800mhz 2 gb ram to it.. Thank you for the comment about HDD. About Psu, i have a 450 watt small psu. So i think i will go for the a newer power supply when i buy a new graphics card.. About 5770 vs 4850, if 5770 is only 1K more than 4850, then i'll buy it even if i am barefoot & pregnant..But also, is 4870 also a better card??? Thank u Once again for your response. and if u dont mind, can i have ur gmail, yahoo account???, do u have a facebook account???
seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 seabiscuit8686
Member since 2005 • 2862 Posts
How do you guys read some of these posts. Takes me a half hour with all the f = of and u/ur and comp = completely....
PenthiusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PenthiusX

Well if u wanna go under 21k don't go for a 10k cpu just go for a decent dual core under 5k ull be much better off . U should only go for quad if u want to save time on video rendering , do intense multitasking , or if u just want to splurge some extra cash . ( I kno u want an expensive cpu but it ain't worth the money for ur current budget & there aren't many apps out there that utilize a Quad ) If u want to do some gaming just focus on the Gpu and Ram . As i stated the Mobo will cost uu under or a little over 5k and the ddr3 aren't insanely expensive .But anyway u can go for 800 mhz Rams cus iif u put in two 1gb 8oo MHz its approximate equal to a single 2gb 1600 MHz as the dimms have almost similar mhz modules ( assume 1 module=4oomhz hence 800 mhz ones have 2 on a single dimm where as 16oo have 4 its comes down to smaller register etching on a single dimm) And as stated by freesafety13 DDR3 r good for overclockiing as they come with good heat sinks and have better voltage regulators + ull need to overclock the mobo too .Anyway u wont get exactly the same output as a ddr3 , as most ddr2 Mobos have like 1333 mhz ,so try to get a good one .

And bout the Gpu , obviously the 5770 is better than the 4850 the issue here was the low prices , but as tht is cleared out of being a mere 1k costlier i dont se any value in buying a 4850 .