"The Witcher" impressions after a few hours of play

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

First of all, I would give it a general 8.5 out of 10 so far, this could easily go up as there is much to the game I have not become proficientwith, such as alchemy. This is a simple first impression review with only a few hours in so keep that in mind.

The story and atmosphere is what makes this game right off the bat, has a different (in a good way)feel to it compared toyourclicheTolkien/D&D setting type games. The graphics are just ok, good enough for this game but they are not going to wow you. As you likely already heard they are based off of the same engine as NWN2, which were also good for that game but not spectacular.

What everyone must know before buying this game is it is not a first person RPG type game like Oblivion, or an RPG FPS like Dark Messiah. This is a point and click game that can be controlled either Diablo style (point and click), or a over the shoulder view style using standard FPS controls (WASD) and your mouse. This will turn off some right off the bat, it did me. That is not so much the problem with the game though, it is the NWN2 nature of it. You will find there are paths you just must stay on, such as in a top down point and click RPG. It is terribly frustrating to play in the near first person view and find you can not jump off of a 2 foot tall ledge, you must go around using the game pathing, this ruins the immersiveness that this game is so good at creating. If you can get over that you can move on to enjoying the game, if you can't, well.....good luck.

Like most RPG's there is a main storyline and there are side quests, and so far every character I have met for any quest at all has featured a cut scene with voice acting which is impressive. So far the quests seem pretty cool, but there are your standard bring me this many of this or that quests which are getting so old in these games. Who wrote the rule that RPG's must include fetch quests? Shoot him.

The combat is pretty cool, but very simplistic. You simply click on the mob, when a flame shows up on your cursor click on the mob again for a special attack, rinse, repeat, dead. One cool feature is you have different combat modes, quick attack, power attack, and multiple foes attack. If you are fighting a agile theif type character you simply hit the fast attack key and that is the mode you will fight in, if you fight a big lumbering guy choose power attack, if you are fighting muliple opponents use that mode and you will have an area damage affect. Still simple, but better than just button mashing. You also can use powers with your right mouse button, the first one you will use is pretty much "Force Push" from any of the Star Wars games you could use it in. Very cool fighting animations as well.

One last thought, the first hour of the game is like an interactive movie, LOTS of cutscenes. I have not experienced it so much after getting out of the first area, maybe just setting up the story?

I would recommend any fantasy setting RPG fan get the game, just know what you are getting and what to expect and you should enjoy it. Think NWN2 meets Dark Messiah, half point and click half FPS. I think the game would have been much better with a 1st person mode and the ability to at least hop a small fence or off a porch, but it is what it is.

Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts
One thing is DMM&M is not a RPG/FPS it's just a fantasy FPS with the ability to customize what you use, just cause you can customise your character doesn't make it a RPG, is BF2 a online RPG? No...
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 vfibsux

One thing is DMM&M is not a RPG/FPS it's just a fantasy FPS with the ability to customize what you use, just cause you can customise your character doesn't make it a RPG, is BF2 a online RPG? No...Grantelicious

I did not take the time to write this to get in a stupid debate with you over whatcategory I believe Dark Messiah falls under.I am sure everyone appreciates you standing up to fight the powers that be who labeled a game in a way that disagrees with you. Now that we have that out of the way....

iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts

Who cares about Dark Messiah? Yeah, the controls in DM were completely setup like an fps game. And it worked for that game.So what? This thread is about the Witcher. No point in arguing about an entirely different game. The original post was thoughtful and I appreciate it. I didn't mean to bump the previous comment, which I agreed with...for some reason the forum engine wouldn't allow me to quote. Anyhoo...

Let's hear more about Witcher experiences. Please. And I mean this all in the sake of fun and fellowship. :)

p00pz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 p00pz
Member since 2003 • 1029 Posts
thanks for the insight, I might be buying this game. Can you tell me, if you've played gothic III, how this game differs or comapares to it in sililarity?
portujoel5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 portujoel5
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts

OK, I've played a few hours, got to Chapter II.

About your comments (original poster): Personally I like the Over the shoulder (OTS) camera better than the usual Neverwinter/Baldurs camera. It helps a lot, and it's so much fun.

I'm with you about the jumping, but it doesn't bother me as much. The only thing that I did not like was the inventory. You can't arrange it, or just view the potions you have. It's a turn off that it lacks that, but it's ok. Not a biggie.

So far the game's great. I do enjoy the graphics, I find them very nice. the story is so good it kept me playing for like 6 hours today. I really enjoy it.

But the MOST APPEALING feature of the game is the voice acting. I've never heard/played a game with such a deep voice acting work. Everything has a voice.

I enjoy that you can get laid, and the cards they give you are very funny.

As a whole this game is a must for RPGs fans. I'm very happy with it

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts
How do the combat & evasive moves feel?
portujoel5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 portujoel5

How do the combat & evasive moves feel?Herrick

The combat feels very good. There's a big tiny addition to other rpgs, you can do combos with right timing on your hits.

Keep in mind it isn't Adventure gameplay, and the side rolls and that stuff might get performed like 0.5 seconds after hitting the keys to do it, but that's just dices rolling and enemies initiative stacked (wild guess, since it's based on a D20 system I belive)

I forgot to mention on my other post that the skills system is very very verry good

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts
My copy of the game will hopefully arrive in a few hours when the postman delivers the mail, if not i think i might cry. But once it arrives i'm hoping its as good as everyone has said it is, i do hope however any future patches etc will allow you to jump fences or small obstacles as a few people have brought the inability to do so up.
portujoel5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 portujoel5

yo 1005:

there's already a patch for the game.use the auto update when you finish installing. It fixed some stuff, and the second one shouldn't take long.

I wouldn't hold my breath for those big changes thou, like jumping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

yo 1005:

there's already a patch for the game.use the auto update when you finish installing. It fixed some stuff, and the second one shouldn't take long.

I wouldn't hold my breath for those big changes thou, like jumping

portujoel5

Well when and if the game arrives today *crosses fingers* i'll be sure to do that first then, shouldnt take long on my internet connection so its all good :D

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Herrick

The combat feels very good. There's a big tiny addition to other rpgs, you can do combos with right timing on your hits.portujoel5

That's good to hear, mang. I'm really looking foward to the combat.

Keep in mind it isn't Adventure gameplay, and the side rolls and that stuff might get performed like 0.5 seconds after hitting the keys to do it, but that's just dices rolling and enemies initiative stacked (wild guess, since it's based on a D20 system I belive)portujoel5

So there's a slight pause before Geralt does attacks and evasive maneuvers? The combat's in realtime. I don't think there are any dice rolls at all. I haven't read anything about this game using anytype of dice system :?

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
I'm glad to hear a good review of this game. Unfortunately my pre-order for it won't get to me for a couple more days.
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts

So there's a slight pause before Geralt does attacks and evasive maneuvers? The combat's in realtime. I don't think there are any dice rolls at all. I haven't read anything about this game using anytype of dice system :?

Herrick

There's two types of dodging, from what I can tell. I didnt read this anywhere, it's just my observation. The firts is parrying which is based on chance. luck of the draw. If an enemy hits you, you have a chance to parry the attack. There are skills to increase your parry chance.

The second is actual dodging. If you double tap a directional, you'll perform a barrel roll or a jump or whatever depending on the stance you are in, and your immediate environment.

I like the combat in witcher alot. It's 80% real time but there is that small bit of dice play common in most rpgs

JimJackJose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JimJackJose
Member since 2002 • 2937 Posts

I am about 20 hours into the game at the moment and I have to say it is awesome.

The combat system gets a little cooler once you unlock more moves. The way it works is fairly basic, you just need to pay attention to the flow of battle and make adjustments as needed.

For example, if you are getting blocked alot using fast style switch to heavy and vice versa.... Always try and use group style for groups fights (duh) if you get blocked a few times trying group style dodge out of the way and swing at a different mob. The more mobs you fight at one time, the more dmg you do in group style.

Also, the silver sword typically does more damage to monsters (as it says) but not always. So if your fighting something that's taking very little damage try your other weapons.

Alchemey is very very usefull in this game, take the time to figure it out and use it.

People looking for a pure combat oriented action adventure game will be disapointed. There is alot of running around and questing in this game as it is a true RPG. You spend a significant amount of time locating items, books, and npc's within the game.

I agree the voice acting is top notch. The overall story in the game is great and one of the more memorable experiences in my recent gaming history.

dykunas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dykunas
Member since 2004 • 430 Posts
If you like good rpgs like Fallout, Gothic, Planscape Torment don't miss out on this gem.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vfibsux

On top of my original post I agree with everything said here, and look forward to unlocking more in the combat aspect of it as mentioned. Let me add I do prefer the over the shoulder view as well, I like it much more than the standard NWN2 or Diablo view. I just prefer more of a FPS view/system. I feel like the game teases you into feeling FPS, only to make you go around small things in any other game you could easily step off or jump. I'm sure I will get over it, the rest of the game makes up for it.

As for the poster asking about Gothic 3 comparisons, it is such a different game I don't think it can be compared. Like I said, it is like a cross between the action FPS RPG's and the NWN's and Baldur's Gate RPG's, it's a little bit of both. THe story and controls have a NWN/BG feel to it, the combat would be more action oriented, and you can use FPS controls as well. The story is top notch, so much that I ordered "THe Last Wish" from Amazon UK, it is the first book which tells of Geralt, the main character of this game. The main Witcher novels are set to be released in English late next year.

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kyrieee
Member since 2007 • 978 Posts
Just pointing out: the game uses the NWN engine (Aurora) and not the NWN2 engine
Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts
[QUOTE="portujoel5"]

The combat feels very good. There's a big tiny addition to other rpgs, you can do combos with right timing on your hits.Herrick

That's good to hear, mang. I'm really looking foward to the combat.

Keep in mind it isn't Adventure gameplay, and the side rolls and that stuff might get performed like 0.5 seconds after hitting the keys to do it, but that's just dices rolling and enemies initiative stacked (wild guess, since it's based on a D20 system I belive)portujoel5

No, there is no pause between attacks but all games use "dice rolling" in the background to determine hits, damage, parry, etc. Its just a term for behind the scenes number work, it isn't based off d20 (to my knowledge), and it doesn't intrude on the gaameplay at all.

F4ll3n_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 F4ll3n_1
Member since 2005 • 1263 Posts
So far its great, but it still suffers not from bad voice acting, but the disjointed conversations which third person RPGs tend to suffer with (cue Gothic and Two Worlds).
acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 acidBURN1942
Member since 2002 • 4816 Posts
I just finished installing it! Cant wait to play!
Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with a couple of your points. I love the OTS camera and it feels great. I think playing this from an isometric view like neverwinter really hinders the experience. Also the graphics are much better then NWN 2 even though they are the same engine. If you turn textures and all the graphical options to the max it looks wonderful. There are lots of side quests to do and the alchemy system is awesome and works great. Potions, sword coatings, and bombs make a huge addition to the gameplay. I love alot of the humorous moments in the game too. Probably the thing that makes the game so endearing to me though is the fact that you have to make choices and what happens changes considerably depending on what you choose. You have to commit to a decision and everyone will get different experiences depending on what they choose to do. The combat is great and the abilities you get are cool. Other then some annoying load times and bugs this game is one of the greatest games I have played in awhile. I can't reccomend it enough. Also import the European version if you can. I'm not sure how much the American version has censored but it would be better to get the experience the developers intended.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 vfibsux

I'm going to have to disagree with a couple of your points. I love the OTS camera and it feels great. I think playing this from an isometric view like neverwinter really hinders the experience. Also the graphics are much better then NWN 2 even though they are the same engine. If you turn textures and all the graphical options to the max it looks wonderful. There are lots of side quests to do and the alchemy system is awesome and works great. Potions, sword coatings, and bombs make a huge addition to the gameplay. I love alot of the humorous moments in the game too. Probably the thing that makes the game so endearing to me though is the fact that you have to make choices and what happens changes considerably depending on what you choose. You have to commit to a decision and everyone will get different experiences depending on what they choose to do. The combat is great and the abilities you get are cool. Other then some annoying load times and bugs this game is one of the greatest games I have played in awhile. I can't reccomend it enough. Also import the European version if you can. I'm not sure how much the American version has censored but it would be better to get the experience the developers intended.Citan76

I forgot to add long load times, that does suck. As for graphics, I have them all maxed,they are still just good by today's standards. Just my opinion, but like I said they are certainly good enough for this game, was not really a negative saying the graphics are good.To me the next step up is great, and I just don't see saying that.And I did not say I disliked the OTS camera compared to the top down one, I stated I would have preferred a FPS type 1st person over what it is. Out of the options available I do like the OTS view.

AlphaHumana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AlphaHumana
Member since 2006 • 618 Posts

No, there is no pause between attacks but all games use "dice rolling" in the background to determine hits, damage, parry, etc. Its just a term for behind the scenes number work, it isn't based off d20 (to my knowledge), and it doesn't intrude on the gaameplay at all.Velric

Just curious, but can you queue-up commands while paused (since it's apparently a modified NWN engine) or is the combat real real-time akin to, say, Fable? Though I don't usually go for solo RPGs, this one has certainly piqued my interest.

From the pics I've seen, the atmosphere looks very similar to "King's Quest 8: The Mask of Eternity" - though I'm sure very few have played/remember it, I'm just curious if this is anything similar?

preriov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 preriov
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Game is amazing whole development system is so orginal, you see effects of your devlopement right aways , more combos better moves , more powerfull magic animations etc.

But what is the best part is the story , games has about 3 endings and every choice could be crucial and lead to different problems later, also the world is dark, grim, all characters swear a lot , there is sex , cutting off heads, lot of blood really orginal for RPG to be so dark.

Gameplaycouldbedriveyoumadatfirstbutafterfewhourrsyouwillloveit,combatsystemisbigWOWforaRPGthereisevensomekindof"fatality"

whenkillingknockeddownopponent.Andthereissomethinglike6styles,3withsteelswordand3withsilversword(powerfullagainstundead)

Mlazaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mlazaro
Member since 2007 • 372 Posts
Is there unique and rare drops?hows the loot(if theyr is any).?
preriov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 preriov
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

so far after 2,5 chapters it isn't baout items so much, rather about upgrading weapons with runes , cos Withcer can only use his fighting abilites with witcher's sword or silver sword

yeahandifyoucanimportthegame,coscensoredversionwithswearinggoreandsexwouldreallymissalot,itcostsabout30dollarsinPolandandtherearealllanguagesin

Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Citan76

[QUOTE="Velric"]No, there is no pause between attacks but all games use "dice rolling" in the background to determine hits, damage, parry, etc. Its just a term for behind the scenes number work, it isn't based off d20 (to my knowledge), and it doesn't intrude on the gaameplay at all.AlphaHumana

Just curious, but can you queue-up commands while paused (since it's apparently a modified NWN engine) or is the combat real real-time akin to, say, Fable? Though I don't usually go for solo RPGs, this one has certainly piqued my interest.

From the pics I've seen, the atmosphere looks very similar to "King's Quest 8: The Mask of Eternity" - though I'm sure very few have played/remember it, I'm just curious if this is anything similar?

You can make commands when paused but i don't believe you can que like in neverwinter. Such as you can't tell it your character to attack, drink a potion, and then cast a spell. Also it should be noted that this game although still paced with "dice rolls" and sort of a turn of attack system it is far more action oriented then NWN. Especially because clicking at the right time for chain attacks is essential and you can dodge in the game. Thus traditional rpg ques are not useful in this game. Honestly the game isn't much like NWN at all other then the fact it is the same engine. As for your king's quest question I have never played the game so I can't answer that but hopefully what I said gives you a better idea.

AlphaHumana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AlphaHumana
Member since 2006 • 618 Posts

You can make commands when paused but i don't believe you can que like in neverwinter. Such as you can't tell it your character to attack, drink a potion, and then cast a spell. Also it should be noted that this game although still paced with "dice rolls" and sort of a turn of attack system it is far more action oriented then NWN. Especially because clicking at the right time for chain attacks is essential and you can dodge in the game. Thus traditional rpg ques are not useful in this game. Honestly the game isn't much like NWN at all other then the fact it is the same engine. As for your king's quest question I have never played the game so I can't answer that but hopefully what I said gives you a better idea.

Citan76

Thank you, answers that particular question quite well! I have a much better perspective on how combat works now.

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Herrick

No, there is no pause between attacks but all games use "dice rolling" in the background to determine hits, damage, parry, etc. Its just a term for behind the scenes number work, it isn't based off d20 (to my knowledge), and it doesn't intrude on the gaameplay at all.

Velric

I see what you mean.

I've played only for an hour and the combat is all right. It's kind of weird how Geralt almost refuses to use certain combat styles on the "wrong" types of enemies. Either that's what he's programmed to do, or I am doing something wrong. It's not that the so-called agile enemies are fast and quick enough to dodge Strong combat style strikes, but it's as if the game won't allow you to use that style on those enemies, or any other "wrong" style for the "wrong" enemies. It seems the game sometimes allows this but makes it much more difficult than it should be. Anyone else know what I'm talking about here?

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts

Any interesting Quests? So far from the first post, it seems most were fetch quests...

I am hoping that there is more than just kill this guy or get this thing.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 vfibsux

Any interesting Quests? So far from the first post, it seems most were fetch quests...

I am hoping that there is more than just kill this guy or get this thing.

bigmit37

Kind of your run of the mill quests so far for me, but it is story driven in a way you really don't feel like you are questing. They throw a few twists in as well to make it interesting. So yea you may get a story why so and so needs the "whatever's" killed that are making life hard for the villagers, but when you go to kill them a twist will be thrown in to the plot. There is also a kind of job board outside an inn where villagers post want ads. One might be an alchemist whoneeds ghouls blood and will pay anyone who brings him some. So yea you have to collect ghouls blood for him, butthere is more of a reason behind it other than some guy standing outside a building telling youto go kill 10 rats and return to him.

paveup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 paveup
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
well its not the NWN2 's engine, unfortunetly its not even same firts aurora engine, it was completly rebuild and got all dx9 effects implemented, they call it aurora2007 engine but from technical point of view its almoust new engine
SadExchange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#34 SadExchange
Member since 2003 • 1866 Posts
Quick question about the dodge technique. I've been playing the game for a few hours and can't quite figure out how to "dodge." When I'm in combat, the dodge word appears above my body, do I double click with the mouse somewhere or double click a direction like w,a,s,d? Also, how far away do I have the click if I can use the mouse? And one more thing, is there anything I can when it says parry?
TA127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TA127
Member since 2007 • 774 Posts

i wanna know if i realy have to see people get raped and heads get off(the head part is not so bad if its not so detailed)

dont get me wrong...i like a bit of blood in games, but sometimes they get it way too far, and that can spoil a game.

one more thing..are there any dif' lvls?is the game difficult at all? can you evade and stuff? can you be realy good in this game?

JimJackJose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JimJackJose

Quick question about the dodge technique. I've been playing the game for a few hours and can't quite figure out how to "dodge." When I'm in combat, the dodge word appears above my body, do I double click with the mouse somewhere or double click a direction like w,a,s,d? Also, how far away do I have the click if I can use the mouse? And one more thing, is there anything I can when it says parry?SadExchange

There are two versions of dodge. The technical dodge is a automatic process where the system determines that you dodged the incomming attack. Then you can also dodge out of the way of mobs by double tapping a directional key.

JimJackJose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JimJackJose

*edit* parry is also automatic.

osleyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 osleyee
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts
can you custimaze your character alot? for example armor abilities and so on
JimJackJose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JimJackJose

can you custimaze your character alot? for example armor abilities and so onosleyee

You can buy armor, and weapons. Upgrade swords. And find/buy alternate weapons during the game.

Other then that there really is no customization. The game is based upon a Novel series detailing the adventures of Geralt. So they don't let you change Geralt's appearance at all.

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bigmit37

[QUOTE="osleyee"]can you custimaze your character alot? for example armor abilities and so onJimJackJose

You can buy armor, and weapons. Upgrade swords. And find/buy alternate weapons during the game.

Other then that there really is no customization. The game is based upon a Novel series detailing the adventures of Geralt. So they don't let you change Geralt's appearance at all.

Is there a lot of customization with the upgrades? Can you lose hours in it?! I love heavy customization. =)

What about skills? Is there customization with skills? If you pick one skill, does that have an effect on other skills, like bonuses?

Can you make different builds with the main character depending on which skill route you go?

Thanks.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 vfibsux
[QUOTE="JimJackJose"]

[QUOTE="osleyee"]can you custimaze your character alot? for example armor abilities and so onbigmit37

Is there a lot of customization with the upgrades? Can you lose hours in it?! I love heavy customization. =)

What about skills? Is there customization with skills? If you pick one skill, does that have an effect on other skills, like bonuses?

Can you make different builds with the main character depending on which skill route you go?

Thanks.

Skills customization is pretty big, you get so many points to spend on skills and there are tons to choose from. To name a few under each attribute like STR, INT, DEX, etc there are skill trees such as under INT you have your herbalism stuff, under each sword style (power, quick, group) there are skill trees, then the same for steel and silver swords as in each has their own tree. They a mixture of skills and bonuses. Kind of hard to explain until you see it, a little overwhelming as well.

JimJackJose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JimJackJose
[QUOTE="JimJackJose"]

[QUOTE="osleyee"]can you custimaze your character alot? for example armor abilities and so onbigmit37

Thanks.

I am at the start of Chapter 4 now and so far I have only seen 2 sets of armor. There is a good variety of alternate weapons however the alternate weapons do not work with your combat arts, so they are useless imo. I have upgraded my steel sword 3 times so far and will be upgrading my silver sword for the first time soon. So I would say there is a small amount of gear customization when compared to other RPG's.

Skills there are a ton of. THe developer stated that there are not enough skillpoints in the game to unlock every single skill during a play through. So there are definately different character builds to be made. You have skill trees for each stat, each magic spell, and each weapon.

Each skill tree is split into bronze skills, silver skills, and gold skills, then mutegenic skills. Initially you only get bronze skill points to use keeping all other skills out of reach till later levels. As you achieve higher levels you get different amount of skill points, for example right now each level I get 2 bronze and 2 silver points.

Using alchemy you can get a extra skill point here and there. For example using a piece from one of the early bosses you kill will gain you your first silver skill point. The mutegenic skills are gained from alchemy / potions.

Skills in general range from increasing attack power, stun percentage, knockdowns, blinding, adding combo moves, more vitality, more endurance, to things like more items from skinning, the ability to pick herbs, and use places of power.

I would say there is alot to the skill system , but not much to the gear system imo.

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bigmit37
[QUOTE="bigmit37"][QUOTE="JimJackJose"]

[QUOTE="osleyee"]can you custimaze your character alot? for example armor abilities and so onJimJackJose

Thanks.

I am at the start of Chapter 4 now and so far I have only seen 2 sets of armor. There is a good variety of alternate weapons however the alternate weapons do not work with your combat arts, so they are useless imo. I have upgraded my steel sword 3 times so far and will be upgrading my silver sword for the first time soon. So I would say there is a small amount of gear customization when compared to other RPG's.

Skills there are a ton of. THe developer stated that there are not enough skillpoints in the game to unlock every single skill during a play through. So there are definately different character builds to be made. You have skill trees for each stat, each magic spell, and each weapon.

Each skill tree is split into bronze skills, silver skills, and gold skills, then mutegenic skills. Initially you only get bronze skill points to use keeping all other skills out of reach till later levels. As you achieve higher levels you get different amount of skill points, for example right now each level I get 2 bronze and 2 silver points.

Using alchemy you can get a extra skill point here and there. For example using a piece from one of the early bosses you kill will gain you your first silver skill point. The mutegenic skills are gained from alchemy / potions.

Skills in general range from increasing attack power, stun percentage, knockdowns, blinding, adding combo moves, more vitality, more endurance, to things like more items from skinning, the ability to pick herbs, and use places of power.

I would say there is alot to the skill system , but not much to the gear system imo.

Thank you for taking your time to write everything out. The skill system sounds fun.

A little disappointed with the gear though.

I will eventually be picking this up though I really wanted some "Unique quests" and a ton of customization.

Have the developers say anything about releasing modding tools? That would be a big plus.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 vfibsux
[QUOTE="JimJackJose"][QUOTE="bigmit37"][QUOTE="JimJackJose"]

Keep in mind this game is huge, just because so far the quests have been normal does not mean that will not change, no one has gotten halfway through the game yet it seems. And like I said, the quests are woven in to the storyline so well you don't know you are doing one sometimes.

Thanks.

Thank you for taking your time to write everything out. The skill system sounds fun.

A little disappointed with the gear though.

I will eventually be picking this up though I really wanted some "Unique quests" and a ton of customization.

Have the developers say anything about releasing modding tools? That would be a big plus.

froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 froidnite
Member since 2006 • 2294 Posts
I have already played it for 8+ hours and I am very impressed with the game. The combat is good and some of the quests are really long and well thought out.
Menfear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 Menfear
Member since 2004 • 1068 Posts

The game looks promising, mostly because of the decisions you make will resolve later in the game. So it's like a multi-decision game sort of. The games is somehow not dictatet how to be played, I like that. Well thats what I heard

And in the future games that have more than one or two ways to completing an objective or a quest, really should be made. Games where the free will counts, and that you can finnish the game differently as it's written on the paper, although that would be hard to make

Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Citan76

The game looks promising, mostly because of the decisions you make will resolve later in the game. So it's like a multi-decision game sort of. The games is somehow not dictatet how to be played, I like that. Well thats what I heard

And in the future games that have more than one or two ways to completing an objective or a quest, really should be made. Games where the free will counts, and that you can finnish the game differently as it's written on the paper, although that would be hard to make

Menfear

The game is very much like that. I am at the end of the game right now and I keep wondering to myself how it would of turned out differently had I made different decisions in the game. You are forced to make decisions in the game often and I love that about the game. I'm not sure how many different branches there are to the game and where they might interconnect but I am so far quite impressed.

Menfear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 Menfear
Member since 2004 • 1068 Posts
Yes, that is what I want, but there are very few of these kind of games out there, if there are any besides The Witcher. The freedom to make your own decision! I really hope they will start making these kind of games in the future, where you are not limited, and that you can do what you want ..
JimJackJose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JimJackJose
[QUOTE="Menfear"]

Citan76

The game is very much like that. I am at the end of the game right now and I keep wondering to myself how it would of turned out differently had I made different decisions in the game. You are forced to make decisions in the game often and I love that about the game. I'm not sure how many different branches there are to the game and where they might interconnect but I am so far quite impressed.

I am finding that to be true as well. I already want to play through again to see what happens if I do things differently. I am 1/2 way through act 4 and have found many many instances where my decisions have effected major points in the game. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone though so ill leave it at that.

As far as modding the game, I have not kept up with the official forums to know if the game is modable, or if there are plans for expansions / mods.

I have heard though that witcher 2 is already planned and will be on pc as well as consoles.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
[QUOTE="Citan76"][QUOTE="Menfear"]

JimJackJose

I am finding that to be true as well. I already want to play through again to see what happens if I do things differently. I am 1/2 way through act 4 and have found many many instances where my decisions have effected major points in the game. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone though so ill leave it at that.

As far as modding the game, I have not kept up with the official forums to know if the game is modable, or if there are plans for expansions / mods.

I have heard though that witcher 2 is already planned and will be on pc as well as consoles.

Well, seems another solid PC rpg is going to be going downhill...too bad.