Question about displaying stuff..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts

Hi, I had this convo with my Uncle. I asked him about his computer build. He said he had the option to choose a GPU. I was like "LOL" because he didn't need one. He doesn't play video games or photo edit. So, I told him that he didn't need one and wasted money. He asked "then how do you see what's going on in the computer then?" "I'll pulll out the gpu card and u won't see anything at all, just black screen". I replied, most motherboards come with their own display drivers, so it wasn't necessary to get a gpu.

Am I right or wrong? Do you need a GPU to display Windows? I think not because most MOBOS come with integrated display drivers. Right?

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts

u do need a gpu in order for ur computer to POST...if ur mobo have vga, dvi, or hdmi output and u have a CPU with integrated GPU; then u don't need a dedicated GPU and ur computer will still be able to post without it since u alrdy have an integrated GPU present...and MOBOS don't come with integrated display drivers, the OS provides that

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Only newer mobos have integrated, if you asked this question 5yrs ago, its 50/50, now its like 90/10

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

GPU is Graphics Processing Unit.

You get two types, integrated and dedicated. If your motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics you will need a dedicated graphics card, but most motherboards these days tend to.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@sethman410 said:

Hi, I had this convo with my Uncle. I asked him about his computer build. He said he had the option to choose a GPU. I was like "LOL" because he didn't need one. He doesn't play video games or photo edit. So, I told him that he didn't need one and wasted money. He asked "then how do you see what's going on in the computer then?" "I'll pulll out the gpu card and u won't see anything at all, just black screen". I replied, most motherboards come with their own display drivers, so it wasn't necessary to get a gpu.

Am I right or wrong? Do you need a GPU to display Windows? I think not because most MOBOS come with integrated display drivers. Right?

You're 100% right, most MOBOs come with VGA/HDMI ports already built in.

So for example a media center PC won't need a GPU at all.

Also CPUs nowdays also come with integrated graphics.