Pure Stratergy based games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

madank_84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 madank_84
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
any rts that involves jus stratergy making and not gathering stuff???

i once played a game called dark omen,it involved jus war stratergies [like position archers in high ground,hide infantry behind trees]
the objective was to win wiith minimum losses,leveling up and recruiting new forces ,had a sexy story 2,i cudnt finish the last level even with cheats on Sad

u guys know any such similar newer games
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
Gathering supplys is a large part of strategy. If you have more income, then you can produce more. I doubt you will find a game that just uses strategy unless its turnbased.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

i once played a game called dark omen,it involved jus war stratergies [like position archers in high ground,hide infantry behind trees]
the objective was to win wiith minimum losses,leveling up and recruiting new forces ,had a sexy story 2,i cudnt finish the last level even with cheats on Sad

u guys know any such similar newer games madank_84

Oh man, Dark Omen was an amazing game and I only played the demo (thank you PC gamer) like back in 1999 or something.

Anyway, sadly, I havent seen much in the way of pure strategy games recently (I like to call them tactical RTS games).  Some older ones to check out are Force 21, Ground Control, and Ground Control 2.  In all of those you have a set number of units at the beginning and you gotta use your brains to win the battle.

On a side note, if youre looking for something similiar I recommend Shattered Union.  Its turn-based, but you have a set number of units and you need to use them according to their skills and win the map.  Pretty cool setting as well (an Second AMerican Civil War you might say!).

-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts
Try Medieval 2 Total War. (Not the campaign)
Avatar image for baltimoreravens
baltimoreravens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 baltimoreravens
Member since 2005 • 476 Posts

Try Medieval 2 Total War. (Not the campaign)-Karayan-

yup, those are "pure strategy" games if thats wat u wanna call it.

SLandeRR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SLandeRR
Member since 2007 • 301 Posts
A lot of games have modes in multiplayer like deathmatch where everyone starts off with a large amount of resources and you don't need to worry about collecting anything.
Lord_Tigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 Lord_Tigger
Member since 2002 • 228 Posts

?

Praetorians.  All attack with only basic base building to make more units.  Good "forward" strategy but moves too fast for me.

Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts
If it doesn't have to be a RTS there are some grand strat games like Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis and even the Civ line of games...
madank_84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 madank_84
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
yep will def try medieval total war, Is warhammer mark of chaos similar to Dark Omen???
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts

[QUOTE="madank_84"]any rts that involves jus stratergy making and not gathering stuff???

u guys know any such similar newer games mrbojangles25

Oh man, Dark Omen was an amazing game and I only played the demo (thank you PC gamer) like back in 1999 or something.

Anyway, sadly, I havent seen much in the way of pure strategy games recently (I like to call them tactical RTS games). Some older ones to check out are Force 21, Ground Control, and Ground Control 2. In all of those you have a set number of units at the beginning and you gotta use your brains to win the battle.

On a side note, if youre looking for something similiar I recommend Shattered Union. Its turn-based, but you have a set number of units and you need to use them according to their skills and win the map. Pretty cool setting as well (an Second AMerican Civil War you might say!).

I loooooved Dark Omen, best game I played that year back in something something ;)
TrailorParkBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TrailorParkBoy
Member since 2006 • 2922 Posts
DEFCON is what I think you would like, truly awesome game.
DethZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DethZero
Member since 2002 • 5983 Posts
Europa Universalis III, Hearts of Iron II, Galactic Civilizations 2, Civ IV. With just those 4 games, you'll be set for several months =]
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Ground Control sounds like it's exactly what you want.
Pure strategy and no resource gathering or base building.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
[QUOTE="Doom_HellKnight"]Ground Control sounds like it's exactly what you want. Pure strategy and no resource gathering or base building/

Ground Control is free to download btw. And yes, it's a good game.
LaNoOm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LaNoOm
Member since 2005 • 1039 Posts
Check out Knights of Honor. Very deep medieval game, and very good too.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Buy Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns, its a great underappreciated game thats a breath of fresh air.

ufopuller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#17 ufopuller
Member since 2004 • 6054 Posts

I am sooo found of FPS that after a while I woud have to kill something...

ufopuller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#18 ufopuller
Member since 2004 • 6054 Posts

They say one can get through the whole Deus Ex (#1) game with only having to kill one enemy

basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts

I'm now playing Caesar IV which is an RTS city builder.  I have been a fan of Caesar III for a long time and was very disappointed with the demo of Caesar IV.  But the full game is a lot better.  Though it still has some annoying stuff.  The menus are terrible because they are so big when you are choosing objects they take up so much of the screen you can barley see the map to place them.  And that's playing in 1280x1024!  This is a game where widescreen would actually help a lot!  Plus placing the objects is frustrating to get then just where you want them.  But once you get use to it it's not that bad and the game underneath it is still very good. 

Plus this game has some of the best graphics of any game to date but you will need a top GPU to use them.  But it still looks really good and runs well turned down on lesser cards like mine.  Anyway it's another option if you are tired of all the war strat games like I am.  After playing CoH and DoW I just can't take yet another military battle strat game right now.

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts

Ground Control sounds like it's exactly what you want.
Pure strategy and no resource gathering or base building.Doom_HellKnight

Will look into this...since I am not a fan of resource gathering as well.

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#21 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
Commandos series. Not Strike Force, but all the game before that. That's pure strategy for you.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Try Myth 1/2.