Problem installing video card- please help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 georgeverity
Member since 2005 • 1234 Posts

so i just purchased a 9600gt from bestbuy, put it in my computer's pci-e slot, and attatched the 6 pin power connector. I have onboard video and i cant get the motherboard to recognize the graphics card. Every time i turn the computer on it just uses the onboard video, i even set the default display adapter to pci-e in the bios. I tried disabling on-board video and i just got 3 beeps from my motherboard saying that it didnt detect any display adapter. I can hear the fan on the card spinning so i dont think the card is broken. By the way, i am switching from my integrated ATI chip to this nvidia card, so if this is some sort of ATI/NVIDIA problem please let me know. I also tried disabling the onboard graphics in the device manager to no avail. any suggestions?

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
Make sure the video card is all the way in the slot. Also, do you know how powerful your PSU is? That may be the issue as well.
georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 georgeverity

my psu is 730 watts so i dont think thats the problem. I think the video card may be defective

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Try installing drivers, a video card wont work until it has drivers.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts

Amith12
i dont think he;s getting a display
bunny569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bunny569
Member since 2007 • 1181 Posts
[QUOTE="georgeverity"]

my psu is 730 watts so i dont think thats the problem. I think the video card may be defective

its defective
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

[QUOTE="Amith12"]

NSR34GTR

i dont think he;s getting a display

He's getting a display because he disabled onboard graphics using the device manager, which means he is getting into the OS.

georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 georgeverity

no when i disabled onboard video, i was using onboard video to get into the bios. once i restarted the computer i couldnt see anything and i had to use the cmos jumper to reset my mobo to get my picture back.

georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 georgeverity

real shame if this thing is defective, it was the last 9600gt i saw at bestbuy and it was on a 54.99 clearance sale! 54.99! for a 9600gt! it was a steal! but you get what you pay for i suppose. i really hope they have another one sitting in the storage somewhere so i dont have to just get my useless 55 dollars back. what else am i gonna buy with 55 dollars? an 8400gs?! HAH! i dont think so!

georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 georgeverity

wow so i took the card back and got a 4650 as a replacement... same thing.... i plug the card in- this one needs no 6 pin power conector, and i see nothing. the only way i can see anything is by using my onboard video which i fear may be the cause of all of these problems. the motherboard is an asus M4A78T-E if that helps.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Did you uninstall the ATI drivers? Use driver sweeper, take the card out and go back to integrated. After that put the new card in and see what happens.....
MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MaoTheChimp
Member since 2008 • 1727 Posts

Did you uninstall the ATI drivers? Use driver sweeper, take the card out and go back to integrated. After that put the new card in and see what happens.....X360PS3AMD05

Hes not getting a display even during the POST...

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 X360PS3AMD05
I'm assuming with the card in, but doesn't it work with the card out? If that doesn't happen then maybe your mobo is dead......
georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 georgeverity

no my mobo is fine, it just isnt recognizing the video card. Onboard video works just fine. I dont want onboard video because it SUCKS.

bluealien2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bluealien2
Member since 2006 • 930 Posts

Well, if two different video cards were not recognized there's a good chance there is a problem with your motherboard.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 X360PS3AMD05
Try looking for more options, like disabling onboard alltogether in the BIOS.
bunny569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bunny569
Member since 2007 • 1181 Posts
[QUOTE="georgeverity"]

no my mobo is fine, it just isnt recognizing the video card. Onboard video works just fine. I dont want onboard video because it SUCKS.

yeah seems that mobo is no good could be the PCI-E slot is bad, had a friend with that issue
crazymonkey092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 crazymonkey092
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts
I know this is a pretty obvious/stupid question. But when switching from the onboard to the dedicated you are plugging in the monitor into the new card right?
Avatar image for Too_tight_shoes
Too_tight_shoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Too_tight_shoes
Member since 2009 • 2486 Posts

I know this is a pretty obvious/stupid question. But when switching from the onboard to the dedicated you are plugging in the monitor into the new card right?crazymonkey092

:|... :lol:.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 X360PS3AMD05
I know this is a pretty obvious/stupid question. But when switching from the onboard to the dedicated you are plugging in the monitor into the new card right?crazymonkey092
I got $5 this is it...........
shred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shred
Member since 2003 • 268 Posts

If you have disabled your onboard video in the Bios and 2 cards now will not post an image, then it sounds like a possible bad pci-e slot on your motherboard. I would try using the video card in another computer if you have one available,to make sure it works just in case.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NSR34GTR
[QUOTE="crazymonkey092"]I know this is a pretty obvious/stupid question. But when switching from the onboard to the dedicated you are plugging in the monitor into the new card right?X360PS3AMD05

:lol: :lol: TC where are you please confirm!!!
georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 georgeverity
[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"][QUOTE="crazymonkey092"]I know this is a pretty obvious/stupid question. But when switching from the onboard to the dedicated you are plugging in the monitor into the new card right?NSR34GTR

:lol: :lol: TC where are you please confirm!!!

somebody owes somebody 5 bucks.
georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 georgeverity

no thats not the problem. and to adress the other people yes i have disabled onboard video in the bios, i also switched the default vga adapter to pci-e in the bios.

georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 georgeverity

also, i have 2 pci-e slots on my mobo which are a fair distance apart in case you have large graphics cards, and in the middle of those pci-e ports, i have pci ports, one of which i am using for my wifi adapter- which works just fine. What are the odds that the 2 pci-e ports would be bad, but the pci ports in the middle would be fine? doesn't seem too likely to me.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 X360PS3AMD05
Did you use the high PCI-E slot? Closest to the cpu........
georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 georgeverity

yes i did.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NSR34GTR
still no luck?
belboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 belboz
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts

I guess you have a hardware defect. Either the GPU, mobo or the power connector cable. GPU is the most likely cause.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Did you uninstall the ATI drivers? Use driver sweeper, take the card out and go back to integrated. After that put the new card in and see what happens.....MaoTheChimp

I dont think he did.... you're gonna have to uninstall the old drive first.

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts
you need to go through your motherboards manuel, if you don't have it find an online version. there may be a jumper you need to set....or some other options in bios. posting your make and model would help. also i assume you've tried all of your pcie slots. the bottom line is that this is most likely a bios setting/ or jumper. with a tiny possibility that its your psu. as for bios settings....you'd be really surprized how goofy some of them are, with my retarded evga x58 i have a stupid "memory" option that caused ALL cards older than a few years to not work, and when i say all cards that includes tvtuners gpu's sound cards....everything....a memory setting lolz
MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MaoTheChimp
Member since 2008 • 1727 Posts

[QUOTE="MaoTheChimp"]

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Did you uninstall the ATI drivers? Use driver sweeper, take the card out and go back to integrated. After that put the new card in and see what happens.....Dogswithguns

I dont think he did.... you're gonna have to uninstall the old drive first.

Regardless of whether he has the correct or incorrect display driver he should get a video signal during the POST.

georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 georgeverity

my motherboard is an ASUS M4A78T-E... i have looked all over the web seeing af anyone has had a similar problem with this motherboard with no luck... the only jumpers i have on my motherboard are a cmos reset jumper and a cpu overclock jumper. i looked at my power supply status in the bios and everything looked like it was supplying power just fine.

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 machiavell8x8
the number in bios regarding power don't tell you a whole lot, alot of the time the numbers are inaccurate anyway, what you need to know is if the actual card is getting power which requires a multimeter and a little bit of knowledge regarding electricity. the fan turning could be coming from the motherboard, but maybe the lead from the psu to the gpu is bad or not putting out enough amps ect. anyways im still convinced its your bios settings or maybe the card isn't seated all the way something like that.... make sure anything saying hybrid in bios is set to off. other than that your gunna need to post some screen shots of all your bios screens(still might not help), or contact asus. or maybe do a bios upgrade. have you tried resetting bios while the gpu is installed? its just really hard to do stuff like this over the net, plus we really don't know how advanced a computer user anyone is, so then it starts to turn into lots of extra questions, as an example you said it looked like it was supplying power just fine, but that really could mean just about anything, the right thing would have been to post some numbers for some transparency oh and speaking of jumpers you have been taking the battery out too right?
machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 machiavell8x8

oh and just curious when you boot up to windows, does windows see the 9600gt in device manager?

because technically i don't think you have to disable your onboard video, once your in windows you should be able to use both your onboard and the gpu graphics...assuming there's no driver conflicts.

yes maybe this is the problem, the bios only boots from the onboard gpu purhaps...

georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 georgeverity
The secong gpu i am using is an xfx 4650, it does not require any 4 pin or 6 pin connections to the psu, just plugs right into the motherboard and draws power from it. I have looked all through the bios settings and the manual for a way to disable any of the "hybrid" options, but the ability to turn that off seems to be lacking. I also tried uninstalling the drivers for my onboard graphics in windows but the 4650 is still not recognized in the device manager or anywhere else. I also tried pulling my motherboard out of the case, putting it on top of a cardboard box, attaching the graphics card to it, and booting it there to see if it was some sort of grounding issue inside the case but the card was still not recognized. I called ASUS and when i told the guy that it wasnt recognizing 2 different cards, he immediately told me that it was probably either a grounding issue or my motherboard had some sort of chipset manufacturing error... he said that he highly doubted flashing my bios would help. I dont think i want to believe him just yet. Any more suggestions?
iliatay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iliatay
Member since 2008 • 1325 Posts

did u connect ur dvi yet?

georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 georgeverity
are you being serious?
georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 georgeverity

anybody?

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 machiavell8x8
well like i said i still think its a bios option, like how i mentioned earlier i had a bios option regarding memory on my evga motherboard and once i changed that all my cards starting working. short of finding a little trick like that in bios, flashing your bios is the last option, after that it goes to asus i guess there's still a small chance its your psu, but if your motherboard is still under warrenty, and you don't already have a multimeter handy, i wouldn't even waste anymore time with it, take advantage of your warrenty. or if you actually enjoy working on it do the bios update first
georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 georgeverity

ehrrr i upgraded the bios to the latest version- still no signal from the 4650.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

ehrrr i upgraded the bios to the latest version- still no signal from the 4650.

georgeverity

try calling your videocard makers company, xfx if i remember you saying correctly. their tech support i mean..

they might be able to help.

if not you may want to call asus,

i have called both for help before (asus and bfg), and usually they can help me out.

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 machiavell8x8
do you have all the cables on your intergrated graphics unplugged when trying to boot from the gpu? im wondering if maybe its detecting its plugged in and defaulting to that. also when you boot up try both your gpu's outputs. and when disabling the intergrated graphics is there any other settings like auto or maybe you picked pci instead of pcie. do you see anything anywhere about legacy hardware support? i dunno i think im outta ideas i really wish i had this thing infront of me tho cuss then id prolly throw it out a winda lol
georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 georgeverity

alright well i RMA'd the motherboard with Newegg. i said that it wouldn't detect any PCI-E video cards. hopefully they dont send me an email saying that there's nothing wrong with it. I even called asus and they said that it was probably a chipset issue and that i should RMA the motherboard... but im a bit skeptical as i haven't seen this problem anywhere else on any other forums. Well hopefully they'll send me the replacement in the next couple of days and that will be the end of it.

BenwaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BenwaQ
Member since 2009 • 129 Posts

Because nobody lost time to access a forum before making a RMA for a motherboard with the same problem doesn't mean it never happen.

I used to work for a small computer shop (for 5 years) and had that same problem 6 times. Happened with AGP and PCI-e.

georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 georgeverity

thanks for telling me that. makes me more confident that im not an complete moron.

killa4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 killa4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 3849 Posts
ok first of all, u said ur computer auto matically uses the onboard video; which must mean that you have a wire plugged into ur ONBOARD GPU and not ur PCIE gpu. if thats not the case it could be the cable that is messed up or maybe even the mobo.
georgeverity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 georgeverity
ok first of all, u said ur computer auto matically uses the onboard video; which must mean that you have a wire plugged into ur ONBOARD GPU and not ur PCIE gpu. if thats not the case it could be the cable that is messed up or maybe even the mobo.killa4lyfe
no the computer is still using the onboard video even when the vga cable is plugged into the graphics card.... so its like the vga cable isnt plugged into anything. i rma'd the motherboard.