Prey first 35 min of gameplay

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

https://youtu.be/j2ndRGP5bMs

So, what do you think? best singleplayer shooter of 2017? or are we expecting something better in the genre?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Looks bad. I had to skip 20 minutes into the video before it looked like anything was happening, and then all I saw was generic enemies and combat that looked like a clunkier version of Bioshock (which already had clunky combat). Pass.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GeryGo  Moderator

@KHAndAnime: That bad? XD

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

So, what do you think? best singleplayer shooter of 2017? or are we expecting something better in the genre?

I never watch these types of "first xxx minutes of gameplay".

It just ruins the experience you get when you first enter a new game.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KHAndAnime

@FelipeInside said:
@PredatorRules said:

Well unless you like going into every game completely blind, I don't see what's so bad about experiencing the first 30 minutes. Usually the intro's are the most boring part of any given game.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

by default it should be, maybe the new call of duty will be good and challenge, there could also be a great indie sp campaign fps out there for 2017 but i dont know of any.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:
@PredatorRules said:

Well unless you like going into every game completely blind, I don't see what's so bad about experiencing the first 30 minutes. Usually the intro's are the most boring part of any given game.

I don't agree, the start of the game is most of the time very interesting. The format of most games is to have a good beginning that sets up the plot, main character and atmosphere, then the middle is grind/repetitive tasks and then finish off with a finale.

For example look at Mafia 3, the first 2 hours are some of the best in the whole game. Look at Half Life 2, the opening sequence when you first get to the city is amazing.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KHAndAnime

@FelipeInside said:

I don't agree, the start of the game is most of the time very interesting. The format of most games is to have a good beginning that sets up the plot, main character and atmosphere, then the middle is grind/repetitive tasks and then finish off with a finale.

For example look at Mafia 3, the first 2 hours are some of the best in the whole game. Look at Half Life 2, the opening sequence when you first get to the city is amazing.

Fair enough. I always found it mind numbing. It's not like the people who write for videogames are any good. If they were, they wouldn't have specialized writing for videogames. So I don't understand the mentality of holding (basically) failed writers on a pedestal. I personally believe the best game intros are the ones that put you in the game in under 5 minutes.

IMO there's really nothing atmospheric or immersive about being stuck on rails for half an hour while getting an ear-beating from various characters in the game while they treat you like an idiot (because tutorial). It's the equivalent to watching Dora the Explorer and taking it very seriously and treating it like high-art.

I miss the days of Deus Ex. Short cutscene, and you're on the go. Having a drawn out intro does absolutely zilch to help a game's story. Can't think of a single game that was hurt by having too short of an intro, but I can think of dozens that are marred by an overly long introduction. Deus Ex' sequel is a great example. The sequel's intro was so bad I was forced to quit shortly after completing it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

Fair enough. I always found it mind numbing. It's not like the people who write for videogames are any good. If they were, they wouldn't have specialized writing for videogames. So I don't understand the mentality of holding (basically) failed writers on a pedestal. I personally believe the best game intros are the ones that put you in the game in under 5 minutes.

IMO there's really nothing atmospheric or immersive about being stuck on rails for half an hour while getting an ear-beating from various characters in the game while they treat you like an idiot (because tutorial). It's the equivalent to watching Dora the Explorer and taking it very seriously and treating it like high-art.

The two examples I said weren't tutorial parts.

I also don't agree that people who write for video games aren't good, I've played some great games with amazing story-lines.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KHAndAnime

@FelipeInside said:

I also don't agree that people who write for video games aren't good, I've played some great games with amazing story-lines.

It's like comparing mom's cooking to a Michelin 3-star restaraunt (film, novels, televsion). Just curious, what storylines in videogames do you think are equally as good as movies like Shawshank Redemption, TGTBATU, or Taxi Driver?

@urbangamez said:

by default it should be, maybe the new call of duty will be good and challenge, there could also be a great indie sp campaign fps out there for 2017 but i dont know of any.

2017 is looking pretty dry, isn't it?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

It's like comparing mom's cooking to a Michelin 3-star restaraunt (film, novels, televsion). Just curious, what storylines in videogames do you think are equally as good as movies like Shawshank Redemption, TGTBATU, or Taxi Driver?

Torment just off the top of my head, many more if I give it a good thought.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KHAndAnime
@FelipeInside said:

I need to play that.

Does anyone wish this was related more to the other Prey game?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

I need to play that.

The other Prey game is very under-rated, it's a great game.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@PredatorRules: Looks pretty dope so far.

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

I need to play that.

No not really. I loved it and it was far better than DOOM 3 but it's too old to make a sequel now. I don't think it was that popular and making a Prey 2 now just seems silly. I think a re-imagining is okay. Prey 17' looks pretty dope, you're just a hater of everything.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

@saintsatan said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

I need to play that.

No not really. I loved it and it was far better than DOOM 3 but it's too old to make a sequel now. I don't think it was that popular and making a Prey 2 now just seems silly. I think a re-imagining is okay. Prey 17' looks pretty dope, you're just a hater of everything.

I don't mind them re-imagining, but what was the need to call it Prey?

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SaintSatan

@FelipeInside said:
@saintsatan said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

I need to play that.

Why not? What's the big deal? It's just a name.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

@saintsatan said:

Why not? What's the big deal? It's just a name.

Not a big deal to me but it automatically makes people try to connect the two games.

Should have had a completely different name or a different subtitle like Prey: Reborn or something.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts

Another pass for me. There hasn't been a good game released in at least ten years. Depressing.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SaintSatan

@attirex said:

Another pass for me. There hasn't been a good game released in at least ten years. Depressing.

I think you need a new hobby lol.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#20 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17894 Posts

@saintsatan said:
@attirex said:

I think you need a new hobby lol.

Pretty much. lol

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

@KHAndAnime: definitely gonna be very boring year, some devs are trying to do new things rather than the same predictable call of duty modern warfare fps sp campaign ripoff stuff over and over but its gonna take time. the last cod tried space, bf went back to world war 1 for inspiration.

an indie game might succeed in doing something different with the genre because although budget is limited there is at least a bit more freedom to take risks.

this is some unfair second guessing on my part, but those that argued against ea releasing titanfall 2 and battlefield 1 around the same time in the same year seem to be right, ea could have done either of those right now and dominate the fps market for a solid number of months before the new cod in november as there was a genuine attempt by both franchises to give a different take on the fps sp campaign.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58478 Posts

OMFG what a bunch of depressing babies in this thread. Ah well, haters gonna hate...

Anyway, game looks pretty awesome. I like the horror elements, but I think even more so I might enjoy the mystery and conspiracy theory stuff to it; I do love me some corporate lab/big brother type shit, and it looks like there is a lot of that in this game.

I am a huge fan of both Dishonored games, and I am definitely looking forward to the next title from Arkane.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FelipeInside

@mrbojangles25 said:

OMFG what a bunch of depressing babies in this thread. Ah well, haters gonna hate...

Anyway, game looks pretty awesome. I like the horror elements, but I think even more so I might enjoy the mystery and conspiracy theory stuff to it; I do love me some corporate lab/big brother type shit, and it looks like there is a lot of that in this game.

I am a huge fan of both Dishonored games, and I am definitely looking forward to the next title from Arkane.

You need to understand that in today's world it looks "cool" to hate on everything, not enjoy gaming for what it is, games and entertainment ;-)

I'm the same as you, looking forward to what this game brings. Might not get it at launch cause I'm still going through Wildlands and have Andromeda lined up after that.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GeryGo  Moderator

Well so far I saw pretty cool inventions that I think should be applied in every home or even in public buildings - the LED light that is on when the room light is off - this way you can find the button in darkness if you suddenly wake up at night or enter unfamiliar room - very helpful IMO

2nd invention is the flush toilet with pedal which I find somewhat useful - easier to flush and you don't need to touch other people's germs.

Overall I do not feel that the beginning of every game is boring, on the contrary - it sets you up to the game's mood and atmosphere, the first 30 min didn't spoil for me the experience that much but - it's a demo which you can see they currently have shadows poping issue.

Looking forward to this game, it also got somewhat survival elements as Dead Space did with it's ammo.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#25 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Can't wait to play this. Still disappointed the original version was canned - what they showed at E3 years ago looked great!

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KHAndAnime

@PredatorRules said:

Overall I do not feel that the beginning of every game is boring, on the contrary - it sets you up to the game's mood and atmosphere, the first 30 min didn't spoil for me the experience that much but - it's a demo which you can see they currently have shadows poping issue.

If some games can efficiently set up mood and atmosphere in 3 minutes, what does that say about the games that take 30 minutes to do the same thing?

(Games with drawn out narratives = snoozefests).

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GeryGo  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:
@PredatorRules said:

If some games can efficiently set up mood and atmosphere in 3 minutes, what does that say about the games that take 30 minutes to do the same thing?

(Games with drawn out narratives = snoozefests).

3 Min to set up the mood? BF? CoD?