Preferred switches for gaming keyboards?

ulfrinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Preferred switches for gaming keyboards? (10 votes)

Clicky switches such as MX blues. 20%
Tactile switches such as MX browns. 30%
Linear switches such as the MX reds. 50%
Other. Explain. 0%

I see a lot of gaming keyboards coming with blue switches by default and I was wondering how many "gamers" actually prefer them over other options, and why. And if you don't, what switches do you prefer, and why?

• 
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

I cant remember what I got on my HyperX keyboard, but I want to say CherryMX.

I've forgotten, as I said, but I remember researching before buying and I never knew there were so many different options. I really like what I got however because I don't need to push all the way down for it to register, makes doing really subtle movements in game easier.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I had blue switches Razer Blackwidow - I hated them and so did all of my friends who heard the clicks when I gamed with them over VOIP.

I currently own Redragon Surara Red switches which is great, I bought reds instead of brown because I play a lot of Apex Legends so I don't need to feel the keys I clicked, it would be rather disturbing IMO.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Paintin' the town MX brown

ulfrinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ulfrinn
Member since 2019 • 158 Posts

I voted other, since I have no preference. My current keyboard is a $10 keyboard I bought a while ago and I am going mechanical, either TKL or 60% shortly, but most options come with blue switches and I'm not sure why manufacturers think people like them. I was thinking of going for reds, then putting o-rings underneath them to stop over-travel so they stop right after actuation so there isn't a need for tactile feedback.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Blues are great and all but the most triggering thing is people who are too stupid to adjust their mic actuation so you hear them typing all the god damn time.

I'm currently on Roccat Titan switches, which are kind of between a brown and a red. Still relatively quiet and effortless actuation pressure. Before, I had all cherry mx reds and zero complaints. Cherry boards are durable as FK and last forever. I have a 8 year old corsair and a 2yr old g skill, and they are built almost the same. Will last forever.

ulfrinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ulfrinn

@dxmcat said:

Blues are great and all but the most triggering thing is people who are too stupid to adjust their mic actuation so you hear them typing all the god damn time.

I'm currently on Roccat Titan switches, which are kind of between a brown and a red. Still relatively quiet and effortless actuation pressure. Before, I had all cherry mx reds and zero complaints. Cherry boards are durable as FK and last forever. I have a 8 year old corsair and a 2yr old g skill, and they are built almost the same. Will last forever.

Most games do not have any kind of built in noise gate, and most people are not educated enough in PC audio to realize you can install equalizer APO to any microphone and add a reaper VST plugin to apply noise cancellation and a noise gate. But people who stream and try to create YT content, where you can hear the constant clackity of their blue switched keyboards do not have any excuses. Also, half of them are using Blue Yeti mics which are crap for streaming/video gaming content.

ulfrinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ulfrinn

So, for those of you guys with reds, why do you prefer reds over browns? Neither of them are loud. What pros and cons do you see with the tactile feedback the browns provide?