Power supply for high end PC.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jnhay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jnhay
Member since 2005 • 1171 Posts
I'm researching right now on how to build a pc and focusing on what parts I would want (I'll probably save up for maybe 6-8 months).  I want to save around $1500, and want to build something highly upgradable.  I read that power supplies can get pretty big as they get more powerful, so I was wondering how powerful a supply I would need if I might eventually want to have an SLI setup with a quad core processor?
Avatar image for MercenaryKnight
MercenaryKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MercenaryKnight
Member since 2003 • 396 Posts
Well, I know there is a semi cheaper corsair 620w one on newegg that is supposed to be sli and quad support. Extremely durable from all the reviews and users using it with sli. It is personally what is ordered for my new computer.
jnhay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jnhay
Member since 2005 • 1171 Posts
Okay, I didn't know they certified PSUs like that.  I guess all I have to do is find a supply that says that it supports quad processors and SLI?
dixiee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 dixiee
Member since 2005 • 1060 Posts
No, no, no, you got it all wrong. Most any power supply can do that thats over $60. It don't need to be certified. Buy it all off www.newegg.com Something like this is great - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194004 Enermax and Rosewill are two good companys
LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts
[QUOTE="dixiee"]No, no, no, you got it all wrong. Most any power supply can do that thats over $60. It don't need to be certified. Buy it all off www.newegg.com Something like this is great - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194004 Enermax and Rosewill are two good companys

The Corsair 620w can handle dual 8800GTXs, that Liberty definitely cannot.
I would also never, ever even think about grouping Rosewill in with Enermax.
Enermax is on a completely different tier in the PSU ladder.
Rosewill has been terrible in the past and they are slowly working on becoming decent. They have 1-2 decent budget PSUs.