Polaris is an utter flop, weaker than Maxwell and Pascal

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

The benchmarks were leaked and they show Polaris (both 10 and 11) beaten badly by Maxwell and Pascal cards. I think it's safe to say that at this point there will be no AMD comeback with Polaris or Zen for that matter.

http://videocardz.com/59725/nvidia-gtx-1080-polaris-10-11-directx12-benchmarks

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I really hope that isn't true.... I do not want to be at the mercy as a consumer to intel and nvidia with absolutely no option.. It pisses me off especially when I feel like I am forced to use intel cpu's due to how far behind AMD's are right now..

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

I really hope that isn't true.... I do not want to be at the mercy as a consumer to intel and nvidia with absolutely no option.. It pisses me off especially when I feel like I am forced to use intel cpu's due to how far behind AMD's are right now..

It seems like Polaris is midrange. I read one article that said AMD had Polaris designed for the mainstream crowd rather than high end. So, yes, we will have a few more years of Intel/NV dominance and one I don't mind. After all, I rather spend money on companies that actually put in an effort than AMD who has given up for the past 4 plus years.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@sSubZerOo: my thought exactly. ugh

@Kjranu yes but you dont want to pay an obsurd amount just because its nvidia and intel right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

well what can you do when those companies have done their R&D right... that industry is very unpredictable, so it will keep them on their toes. no need to worry about them getting comfortable enough to start scamming customers with overpriced products.

SuperClocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SuperClocks
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

@_SKatEDiRt_: @sSubZerOo: @groowagon: @Kjranu:

We don't know the clock speeds, nor if this is even legit.

Either way, Polaris GPU's are small die, low wattage GPU's meant to be cheap and mobile. AMD's enthusiast line will be Vega 10 (Greenland) w/ HBM2.

As for the Zen + Polaris statement, just wait until you see what AMD has in the works. They're going to release APU's with up to 32x Zen cores (each one Haswell level), a Greenland enthusiast Vega 10 GPU, and 32GB of HBM2 on a single chip die. There will be no more latency issues between the CPU, GPU, and RAM, as they will be in a single chip.

They're also developing the next gen RAM that will replace HBM, which AMD also designed btw. There will be tiny co-processors inside the RAM chips that perform functions that would normally be sent to the CPU and then back to RAM again. So a large portion of data will not even have to go back to the CPU to be processed, saving CPU cycles, system bandwidth, decreasing GPU idle time, and decreasing latency. The data will be processed immediately, eliminating yet another bottleneck.

And, for the mobile market, they're developing new SoC's with more system components on die, like data storage, for instance. The data will not have to be retrieved from a drive, SSD, etc., It will already be in the chip, ready to run, which will completely eliminate load times.

AMD is working to reduce or eliminate nearly every major system bottleneck in computers and mobile devices, while also working on high end gaming APU's with a performance to price ratio that would be impossible for Intel and nVidia to match. I expect them to do very well in the coming years.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

@Kjranu: Actually we already knew this.

I already posted it in an other thread, but AMD's Roy Taylor already stated just two weeks ago:

AMD’s Polaris will be a mainstream GPU, not high-end

In its latest financial report, the company noted that Polaris 11 would target "the notebook market," while Polaris 10 would target "the mainstream desktop and high-end gaming notebook segment."

AMD's Roy Taylor also confirmed that Polaris would target mainstream users, particularly those interested in creating a VR-ready system.

"The reason Polaris is a big deal, is because I believe we will be able to grow that TAM [total addressable market] significantly," said Taylor. "I don't think Nvidia is going to do anything to increase the TAM, because according to everything we've seen around Pascal, it's a high-end part. I don't know what the price is gonna be, but let's say it's as low as £500/$600 and as high as £800/$1000. That price range is not going to expand the TAM for VR. We're going on the record right now to say Polaris will expand the TAM. Full stop."

So AMD clarifies Polaris as a mainstream GPU. And this is normal for a just 232mm2 GPU. Vega will be the high-end.

AMD's profits were minimized by GTX970 phenomenon, aka huge step in performance for acceptable price.

They want to do the same with Polaris 10, offering GTX980 or GTX980Ti performance for $300 since Nvidia doesn't have an answer at the moment, like AMD when GTX970 was launched.

We will soon see reviews for the upcoming architectures, 17th May for GTX1080 and 27th May for R9 480(X) or w/e Polaris will be named.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Honestly, I don't care if NV overprices their top models because of no competition. I always go for midrange anyway, and I'm sure both companies will have strong competitors there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59d151f079814

@groowagon said:
@sSubZerOo said:

well what can you do when those companies have done their R&D right... that industry is very unpredictable, so it will keep them on their toes. no need to worry about them getting comfortable enough to start scamming customers with overpriced products.

No need to worry? See that CPU you have it? It's a K series, in which you had to pay extra just to ensure you can overclock it.. Intel killed off the budget cpu overclocking core 2 duo days because of the strangle hold they have on the industry..

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@sSubZerOo: it actually cost less than the normal version, which is why i bought it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59d151f079814

@groowagon said:

@sSubZerOo: it actually cost less than the normal version, which is why i bought it

Your lucky usually its more.. Either way intel basically destroyed the entry level overclocking arena that was heavily popular during the core 2 duo days.. Which is why you don't see people taking stuff like I3's and overclocking them to ridiculous levels, because they locked it down.. I would jump to AMD in a heart beat if they weren't so behind because of this trend..

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_

@sSubZerOo said:
@groowagon said:

Your lucky usually its more.. Either way intel basically destroyed the entry level overclocking arena that was heavily popular during the core 2 duo days.. Which is why you don't see people taking stuff like I3's and overclocking them to ridiculous levels, because they locked it down.. I would jump to AMD in a heart beat if they weren't so behind because of this trend..

Not all of the i3s are locked down. just fyi

@SuperClocks: I did not know that. My own preference I could care less about power consumption I want raw power :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@groowagon said:

Not all of the i3s are locked down. just fyi

@SuperClocks: I did not know that. My own preference I could care less about power consumption I want raw power :)

Please give me a example.. Because the K series specifically means you have full access to the core multiplier.. Every other chip the best you can get with a overclock is a few hundred mhz tops before it become unstable, and that is if your lucky.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _SKatEDiRt_

@sSubZerOo: I forget what processor it is but intel made an unlocked i3. linus tech tips did a review on it

edit- here it is

Pentium G3258 "Anniversary Edition"

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 BattleStreak
Member since 2016 • 1763 Posts

I doubt it.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@sSubZerOo: I forget what processor it is but intel made an unlocked i3. linus tech tips did a review on it

edit- here it is

That's not an i3 chip, it does not have hyperthreading. It's a Pentium chip.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2150 Posts

Who cares if you can't OC an i3 if it still beats overclocked FX 8350s in most games?

As for Polaris/Zen, stopper expecting anything from AMD since the Bulldozer flop. They always claim 30-40% performance increase with their new CPUs and yet can barely beat the previous gen when actual benchmarks come out.

PerpetualNewb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PerpetualNewb
Member since 2015 • 20 Posts

This seems premature without actual benchmarks, besides I thought AMD's strategy for this iteration was to go for the mainstream and budget cards where the margins aren't as high but there is more volume. Everyone wants the high end but there is something to be said for performance for dollar. If this new set of cards have comparable minimum frame times with Nvidia and AMD finally get their driver releases to be on par as well I would get one, but I'm not holding my breath.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

AMD failing is not good for the market .If nvidia had their way you would be paying $1000 for a gtx 1080

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

AMD failing is not good for the market .If nvidia had their way you would be paying $1000 for a gtx 1080

I dont think they are failing but they decided to do things differently and targeting different segments, where gamers are concerned. They are on a backpedal, they know this as do everyone but I think they are doing the right thing. The majority of the end users don't care about having the highest end specs and if catering to them is what you need to do to keep your company afloat and profitable then thats exactly what they need to do.

SuperClocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SuperClocks
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

@ShepardCommandr: The same is true with Intel. Their 8 core 5960x is well over $1000, and it's only clocked at 3GHz. I'm hoping that AMD's Zen pushes them to release architecture improvements and core count increases both at a faster rate and at a lower cost.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _SKatEDiRt_

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

edit- here it is

That's not an i3 chip, it does not have hyperthreading. It's a Pentium chip.

I see

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Kjranu said:

The benchmarks were leaked and they show Polaris (both 10 and 11) beaten badly by Maxwell and Pascal cards. I think it's safe to say that at this point there will be no AMD comeback with Polaris or Zen for that matter.

http://videocardz.com/59725/nvidia-gtx-1080-polaris-10-11-directx12-benchmarks.

Polaris 10's clock speed started from 800 Mhz to 1050 Mhz to 1266Mhz.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

There's still one SKU missing , the one with 2560 cores, and the clocks are not final. Nvidiatards already beating their chest. My guess is that top end Polaris 10 will be pretty close to 970 1070 performance, and if price @ $300-320 then AMD won.

Edit: Oops, I meant 1070

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

There's still one SKU missing , the one with 2560 cores, and the clocks are not final. Nvidiatards already beating their chest. My guess is that top end Polaris 10 will be pretty close to 970 performance, and if price @ $300-320 then AMD won.

Top end Polaris 10 was suppose to replace Fury Pro/X/Nano. Vega is for above Fury Series.

Polaris 10 with 36 CU and 1266Mhz yields 5.83 TFLOPS which effectively replaces R9-390X's 5.9 TFLOPS as per AMD's March 2016 road map.

There's a mobile Polaris 11 with 1400 Mhz clock speed.

Polaris 10 36 CU with 1395 Mhz is estimated to have 19900 score which is slightly faster than Fury X's 19315 score. Polaris 10's 40 CU at 1395 Mhz yields 7.142 TFLOPS which is similar to Fury Pro's TFLOPS.

WhyCry VideoCardz.com • a day ago

One more thing, according to Sisoft database, C7 has 2304 cores, there is a possibility that there's another P10 chip with 2560 cores (full silicon), even faster than those. Just wanted to make it clear.

2304 cores = 36 CU.

Polaris 10 with 40 CU at 1266 Mhz is estimated to have 20,066 points which is about 980 Ti level.

Polaris 10 with 40 CU at 1400 Mhz is estimated to have 22,190 points which is about Titan X level.

The top Polaris 10 seems to be GTX 1070 level.