Planning to switch from console to PC . . . is it a good idea???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JeanAlex22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JeanAlex22
Member since 2011 • 307 Posts

I have an xbox 360 running perfectly . . . I have no real problem with it, I don't play online and I buy all my games secondhand so I don't pay $60 for the game and for xbox live . . . I'm planning to switch to PC cause it just seems for practical and more comfortable to use . . .

However my problem is I have very little knowledge about computer tech and I know that one major con in PC gaming is that you upgrade on a notable basis which shouldn't be a problem for tech pros but is surely gonna be a problem in my case . . .

What do you guys think? should I press on to getting a PC gaming rig or stick to my xbox 360 . . .

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

Most people exaggerate on how often you need to upgrade your PC. It's not like you'll need to upgrade it every year to be able to keep up with new releases (I would say MAYBE every 2.5 or 3 years)

Seto_Akari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Seto_Akari
Member since 2008 • 383 Posts

I upgrade my computer every 3 or 4 yearsor when something breaks downand it's still perfectly fine. You don't need to have much tech knowledge to upgrade computer. If you are still unsure, just ask someone in the known to help you.

Also, you have the option to have both the Xbox360 and the PC.

DasBeerBoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DasBeerBoot
Member since 2011 • 261 Posts

I've got consoles too, but i think it's hard to get into ,but if you stick with it it's worth it^^

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

I have an xbox 360 running perfectly . . . I have no real problem with it, I don't play online and I buy all my games secondhand so I don't pay $60 for the game and for xbox live . . . I'm planning to switch to PC cause it just seems for practical and more comfortable to use . . .

However my problem is I have very little knowledge about computer tech and I know that one major con in PC gaming is that you upgrade on a notable basis which shouldn't be a problem for tech pros but is surely gonna be a problem in my case . . .

What do you guys think? should I press on to getting a PC gaming rig or stick to my xbox 360 . . .

JeanAlex22

it's very simple some games are better on pc than on console and vice versa. Any first person shooter will always be better on a pc because of the graphics ,framerate if you have a system that's strong enough. Upgrading is something you must do and it depends every year. If there's a lot of technological advancement be prepared to upgrade because games will become more demanding but that's only when you want to play on the highest settings and even then if you make a big investment you won't have to upgrade in a long time.

For instance someone who bought 4870x2 with a quad core of at least 2.8 ghz. in 2008 won't have to upgrade He can still play games on the highest settings. But his investment was 1000$ or even a bit more when he bought that pc. So if you buy a strong pc now, you won't have to upgrade for a long time, if you will only spend 500$ you will probably feel the need to upgrade in a year or two.

That brings me back to the fact that some games are better on consoles than on pc for instance a lot of games can only be bought for console like fighting games (mortal kombat, fight night 4, soul calibur IV), some first person or third person games like halo3, gears of war2, infamous, red dead redemption, resistance.

Some games are also better to play on a console like mortal kombat , fifa because of the controller, you can always buy a controller for the pc but the experience is still different, a console boots up and plays , a pc needs configuration , there always something with something like adjusting your graphics setting, adjusting your controller configuration, sometimes stuff doens't work immediately and you have to do some research, it can sometimes be a real drag.

Other games are also a lot better to play on pc like rts games, some rts games are only available on pc, mmo's are only available on pc. Consoles also have a much easier way to connect with friends because it's only one platform, in a pc you don't have a cross-over platform for every game, you can meet and greet with people in a game but they don't have like one gamertag or avatar for all the games on that system.

You can do like i do i own a x360 and a pc but if i would have to choose it would be difficult especially because i'm addicted to mortal kombat. You can spend a little less on both systems to have em both like buy stuff second handed.

Have fun with the pc, if you don't have one you're missing out.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

It's always best to have more than one system but if you want to get only one system the PC is without a doubt the way to go

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
When you buy a PC that can run uber-games (hopefully you're buying a desktop), all you need to consider is ventilation and proper operation (updating drivers, Windows Update, and a good anti-virus program). A PC will offer you more control over your games through graphics settings, choosing your key bindings, and so on. You can also add more control through 3rd-party utilities. The reason I prefer desktops over a gaming laptop is because desktops run much cooler, they are better at heat dissipation.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
It all depends on how often you want to upgrade. I would say in general every 3 years (not counting major graphic leaps). And even then you probably wont need to change anything beside the graphic card and maybe (depending on how much you have) RAM. Its also some of the easier things to do. If you have a friend i suggest you ask him to help you build the computer as it can in general get alot cheaper when you build it yourself. However if you for some reason dont know anyone with any computer knowledge... Fear not! There is a manual :P
spacedog1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 spacedog1973
Member since 2007 • 1144 Posts

There's not really a set period of when you need to make an upgrade. You have to be a little savvy though.. for example, in the next few years we will see a graphics leap as the next gen consoles are introduced. I think we can expect then the minimum standard to increase significantly, but then not change for a while during the console cycle. I would expect to buy a new graphics card a year into that cycle as they become more refined and generally cheaper rather than purchasing at the start of the cycle with outrageous prices.

The rule of thumb should be that you upgrade when your GPU is starting to have trouble running games at high settings with a decent FPS. Or when a new game comes out that has significant entry requirements that you want to play in all its glory, i.e BF3. Buy a Mid to high end GPU now and hold on to it for a few years. I think the main investment would be a good CPU that can last throughout a number of GPU Upgrades. My Q6600 has lasted me for ages and still perfroms well.

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

I'm going back to PC gaming because console games are looking a bit shabby these days.

f22rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 f22rf
Member since 2003 • 1100 Posts
Well It's like dropping your old Honda for a Ferrari, sure it costs more and you have to be more of an expert, but suddenly there are so many options, and everything looks better :)
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Last I upgraded was about 2 years ago - and that was mostly cuz I had the opportunity to. Otherwise you could easily future proof your system to create a larger gap between upgrades. I also have consoles and play them less but theres always going to be games on each platform that you dont get on the other. Just how it is. Anyway Id say go for PC - it gets cheaper over time and its far more versatile.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#13 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Been pc gaming since 1994 and hate consoles, there is your answer from me.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

Well, I built my pc about 3 years ago, (I did upgrade it since then though)

2 main upgrades were CPU, (upgraded from a dual core AMD 6000+ to a phenom II 945 quad core) SAME Motherboard.

and GPU (started out with 2x 8800gt in SLI, but moved up to a more powerful single card solution of the GTX570, might even use one of my 8800gt as a dedi physx actually)

Now that you know all of that, I will state that I plan on finishing me a new rig in about a year and a half from now.

So with the 2 main upgrades, I plan on getting a total of over 4 years out of the old rig, the one I am on now. (closer to 4.5 years)

The new rig I will be carrying my GTX570 over into, (and maybe the 8800gt as a dedicated physx card) When I build it.

I gamed at 1680x1050, and now at 1080p... I max most of the games I play, (I did it back then too on the dual 8800gt sli) Most of the time getting wonderful FPS. I did not wait until my performance was hurting too bad, most things were still very playable maxed out with the 8800gt SLI, but I started to see them struggle in a good bit of newer games, so I upgraded to something that will last me a few more years easily.

Hope this helps you out on the Upgrade frequency question.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts
well you need to ask yourself "what does the PC offer that i dont already get?" and "do i want what it offers?". as with any gaming based recommendation look to the games first. are there any big PC exclsuives you would like to play? total war? witcher 2 (though that is coming to 360)? have a look at the likes of steam and impulse to see if anything takes your fancy. then there are the multiplats. multiplats are pretty much always superior on the PC. but are they superior enough or are you happy with the 360 version? PC games also tend to be cheaper than console games (and really cheap in the likes of steam sales). but is that worth the initial outlay of a for you? then there are the controls. you can use a 360 controller but if you have a 360 controller and are happily playing on the 360 then is a PC a really good investment? then there are the other benefits. mods, free online play in most games, mouse and keyboard controls, better graphics, better performance. are these a big deal to you? so have a good think about it. as for the tech. it would be handy to learn about some of it just to get an appreciation of what your looking at. but the people over in the PC hardware forum here are great at suggesting hardware. just give them a budget and let them know what you intend to use it for and they will give you a spec. also let them know whether you intend to buy or build it yourself.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts

I switched to PC gaming in December, havent looked back to consoles. Whatever you spend making your rig, you'll eventually gain back in time through the cheap(er) PC games over consoles. Worth it.

Yagnav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Yagnav
Member since 2004 • 6107 Posts

well I used to be a PC gamer, switched to consoles for a while (i own 9 consoles including some legacy ones) and now after 6 years on consoles i'm heading back to the PC. Sure it can be intimidating at first but building your own rig is a whole different rush, The best part being looking for cheaper parts and stuff like that. Infact building your own rig is even therapeutic in some ways. Nothing like a 3 screen eyefinity setup or even running your rig on a 55" LCD/LED. And no you dont need to upgrade regularly i'd say 2 years at the most if you're a graphics whore and if you're not maybe 3-4 years.

Besides if you're on the PC you can play RTS's like Total war/DoW/CoH which has a mature crowd or 4 year olds if you go the MOBA/DOTA way if thats your thing. Lets not forget that cool looking neon lit tower or the cool backlit keyboard and mouse and 64 player MP FPS games !!!! Hell some of the best MMO's are out on the PC !!!

I just wish at present there would be a lot more PC exclusives. Oh, and if you're a converted hermit, you're really a hardcore gamer !!!! Welcome to the dark side.....

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

Well I got a PC and 360 too and I hardly ever touch the console... (I also got the PS3 and its collecting dust since i bought it :P)

I'll say its worth getting into it, you'll just need to get some experience with the PC and all but after that you will never go back!

mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

When I got my first HDTV about 4 years ago I really got into the console craze and went all-out that route. However, in the last year or so, I have realized how superior PC gaming is. This is especially true if you pick up a couple of key extras like a good gamepad (360 one is good). The truth is that there is nothing on the console that PC gaming doesn't do better. Add to that the incredible deals you can find on PC games and any sort of cost differential should even out.

lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

JeanAlex22

TC I was in your same situation. I switched to PC about 4 months ago and haven't looked back. I was thinking the same thing on the subject about "upgrading" and not being a tech expert. This guy told me he learned how to weld from youtube and craigslist list. I already found out how to install a graphics card, power supply and set my pc up for a dual monitor set up-All on youtube.

I started off by buying a 700$ computer because I was still unsure, but that would at least start me out until I learned how to "upgrade". It's like legos :p.

Any time I had a question some one always answered, so the PC community is welcoming for us "new comers" ;). Maybe because most of em' hate console so much lol.

The only downside is that you buy your games from Gamestop? If you switch to PC you won't be able to trade in and buy games at a cheaper price unless there isa sale or something. I haven't payed over 30$ for a game yet. I still have my xbox, but I won't EVER play a multiplayer on it again. Only SP exclusives or button smashing platformers (Ex. Vanquish, PoP, Alan Wake, Batman AA) are the reason I won't toss it into the closet :lol: .

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

There's alot of sites out there to help you learn how to build. Remember, everyone started off where you are. As for updating, it's not at all frequent. I haven't updated since 2008 although I'm thinking of doing it because battlefield 3 might finally force me to.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#22 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

Most people exaggerate on how often you need to upgrade your PC. It's not like you'll need to upgrade it every year to be able to keep up with new releases (I would say MAYBE every 2.5 or 3 years)

Lox_Cropek

^This

I usually upgrade everything every 3-4 years depending on hardware cycles. This build has only lasted about 2.5 years, but I was cheap and decided to go with an AM2 instead of AM2+ board so I have no upgrade path. Generally I drop $600-800 and replace everything but the case and media drives. This time around I literally have to replace everything since mobos don't have IDE plugs anymore (hello new blu-ray drive!) and my case isn't compatible with my new PSU.

Converting to PC gaming is more than worth it for the eye-candy and online games alone. Not to mention most triple-A titles get modded to make them even better. The only thing I use my 360 for is exclusives and the AC series.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

It's like legos.

lil_d_mack_314

I built my first pc about a year and a half ago and that is EXACTLY how I describe it. Like putting together legos. Just make sure you ground yourself before handling the legos. :)

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

[QUOTE="lil_d_mack_314"]

It's like legos.

StrawberryHill

I built my first pc about a year and a half ago and that is EXACTLY how I describe it. Like putting together legos. Just make sure you ground yourself before handling the legos. :)

i never did that and never had any problems and builded/repaired hundreds of computers
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="StrawberryHill"]

[QUOTE="lil_d_mack_314"]

It's like legos.

evildead6789

i never did that and never had any problems and builded/repaired hundreds of computers

It's a small risk, but the risk is there nonetheless and it would be a really terrible feeling to see hundreds of dollars flushed down the drain because you didn't want to take half a second to ground yourself. It happened to a friend of mine when he was replacing his RAM. He thought he would be fine, went to grab a new DIMM and ZAP his new RAM was gone. Anyway OP, as for upgrades, I'd say you'll want to upgrade about every 2-3 years to stay on top of things. Also, don't try to futureproof, it's a waste of money. The only components that can truly be futureproofed are the PSU and case. Everything else goes obsolete at about the same time.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
wel as u have a 360 controller u can buy a wireless adapter and use it on the pc, my 360 is collecting dust
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Uhm, you don't just switch to pc gaming. You just go onto like quakelive.com and pwn even on sheety pc. If you have to go all out just for pc gaming, then you are not a pc games. PC gaming isn't about graphix at all.
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#28 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
Uhm, you don't just switch to pc gaming. You just go onto like quakelive.com and pwn even on sheety pc. If you have to go all out just for pc gaming, then you are not a pc games. PC gaming isn't about graphix at all.JigglyWiggly_
I can't figure out if you are trying to be ironic or just trolling.
Quadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 Quadster
Member since 2003 • 578 Posts
I'd say get a PC, but don't shy away from your console as there's bound to be games on there you'd want that you won't see on the PC, but then again, you'd see the same thing vice-versa. I have a 360, a PS3, a Wii and a decent PC as of 2 years ago which i've not stopped using yet, extremely moddable, super flexible and i'm not limited in gaming options, i also use a 360 controller on my PC for platformers and anything which suits, or supports a control pad. I'd use it for anything other than FPS or other games which require precision and speed, something i suck at using a thumb stick (Much prefer a Keyboard and mouse) It's completely up to you, but again, don't ditch your console and have the best of both worlds.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I just made the switch to PCs from consoles and I'm not looking back. Granted PCs are more expensive, but considering you're buying a machine that does literally everything including games and that games are much cheaper (I thought I hit the jackpot a few months ago when I got two brand new 360 games for $50. Then when I bought my PC, I got three great games for under $15 - thank you digital distribution!)

In short, games look better, run better and feel better (I prefer mouse and keyboard than a controller)

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#31 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Yes switching to PC is best thing you could do :D

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
What i would recommend as a person who had been gaming since mid 90's on both consoles and PC is to keep your xbox 360 and spend little time building your own Gaming PC. Its not difficult, you just need to spend little time learning the basics. Most PC already come prepared. You just might have to tweak few things to best for your money and performance. Watch numerous videos online and study litte bit go learn which PC components are good and which to stay away from. I suggest to start with www.tomshardware.com The myth of constant upgrades is just that - myth. Unless you want the fastest and greatest gaming performance there is, every 3 years or so is smart way of doing it. Keep in mind you spend little more money on that new graphics card or processor but the money return is quick with cheaper games and great sales specials on steam, gog and other online retailers. Whichever you decide, PC is great gaming platform that also doubles as more the gaming machine. It requires more knowledge but the reward is also great. I still suggest you keep both, PC and console gaming, just a friendly advice, am speaking from 16 years of experience with both devices which always complemented each other. :)
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Lox_Cropek

I'd say when ever the big three make a console use that as some sort of "benchmark".

Depending on how strong the next Playstation is ill decide whether I should crossfire my 6950.

sami117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sami117
Member since 2008 • 650 Posts

[QUOTE="JeanAlex22"]

evildead6789

it's very simple some games are better on pc than on console and vice versa. Any first person shooter will always be better on a pc because of the graphics ,framerate if you have a system that's strong enough. Upgrading is something you must do and it depends every year. If there's a lot of technological advancement be prepared to upgrade because games will become more demanding but that's only when you want to play on the highest settings and even then if you make a big investment you won't have to upgrade in a long time.

For instance someone who bought 4870x2 with a quad core of at least 2.8 ghz. in 2008 won't have to upgrade He can still play games on the highest settings. But his investment was 1000$ or even a bit more when he bought that pc. So if you buy a strong pc now, you won't have to upgrade for a long time, if you will only spend 500$ you will probably feel the need to upgrade in a year or two.

That brings me back to the fact that some games are better on consoles than on pc for instance a lot of games can only be bought for console like fighting games (mortal kombat, fight night 4, soul calibur IV), some first person or third person games like halo3, gears of war2, infamous, red dead redemption, resistance.

Some games are also better to play on a console like mortal kombat , fifa because of the controller, you can always buy a controller for the pc but the experience is still different, a console boots up and plays , a pc needs configuration , there always something with something like adjusting your graphics setting, adjusting your controller configuration, sometimes stuff doens't work immediately and you have to do some research, it can sometimes be a real drag.

Other games are also a lot better to play on pc like rts games, some rts games are only available on pc, mmo's are only available on pc. Consoles also have a much easier way to connect with friends because it's only one platform, in a pc you don't have a cross-over platform for every game, you can meet and greet with people in a game but they don't have like one gamertag or avatar for all the games on that system.

You can do like i do i own a x360 and a pc but if i would have to choose it would be difficult especially because i'm addicted to mortal kombat. You can spend a little less on both systems to have em both like buy stuff second handed.

Have fun with the pc, if you don't have one you're missing out.

this, it the best experiance...

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I love my PC but no way would I stop playing Xbox 360, its an amazing system, has great online and the games can be awesome to. There are plus's and minus's on both sides, I would play one and just stop playing the other, PC and Xbox are both great.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Uhm, you don't just switch to pc gaming. You just go onto like quakelive.com and pwn even on sheety pc. If you have to go all out just for pc gaming, then you are not a pc games. PC gaming isn't about graphix at all.SerOlmy
I can't figure out if you are trying to be ironic or just trolling.

I am not lying, seriously. PC Gaming is all about having keyboard and mouse and doing things that aren't just possible with controllers. Also stuff like mods etc. Graphics IDC about at all on PC, and if you care about graphix more than teh awesum controls you are no real pc gamer.
xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xxxLUGZxxx
Member since 2011 • 511 Posts

I would definitely advice getting into PC gaming. However, the most important thing you have to remember when entering into this new platform is this;

RESEARCH

RESEARCH SOME MORE

THEN RESEARCH EVERYTHING ALL OVER AGAIN.

If you make smart and educated purchases, then your PC should be set for quite some time, while allowing you to easily upgrade components over time.

I have made the mistake in the past by underspending on certain components to save money now, only to have that bite me in the butt later on.

I would spend the most time and money on your PSU and MOBO, since those will be the biggest hurdle when upgrading in the future.

NTjordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NTjordon
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
its a good time to switch, they say consoles have a longer life span, but i cut that in half, if your a pc gamer.
Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

Its not hard to build a computer for like 600 bucks at most that plays nearly all games on high settings. I enjoy PC games alot more. I also prefer the mouse and keyboard set up, and the wide variety in the PC library of customization in your system, accessories, and games. I built my PC and got a 1080p monitor for like 650/700 bucks on newegg. Just ask the hard ware forum for help, they're very useful. I'm positive you'll like PC gaming just as much, if not, better than consoles. Plus you can mod games! You might get your butt handed to you however since aiming with a mouse in shooters is a steep learning curve. Once you get it down, its so much fun though. As for upgrades, psh consolites over exagherate way to much. Built mine two springs ago, still running all my games on high settings. And i didnt even buy a high end card at the time (hd4850). PC is still kickin very well. Now you really have an all in one machine: Socializing, media, games, web access. All of these within a click of a button.