planning to move to gaming on tv

This topic is locked from further discussion.

razorMDshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 razorMDshooter
Member since 2008 • 549 Posts

Currently i am gaming on 720 p, but my computer has the ability to easily run on 1080p. I have a 32 in t.v  hd that i can use to game on, as well as shows and movies. As for the gaming i have heard many sides of the stories of playing on a t.v. But never found a consensus. Will i be better suited with the t.v? How is the quality and are there any res issues?

gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

The issues are mainly with ghosting and the tv's response time. Monitors usually have faster response time, so there isn't any lag between your movements with the mouse and keyboard and what happens on the screen. This is what I have read and heard other people saying.

Personally, however, I've never seen such a thing. I've gamed on both Tvs and monitors and haven't had a single problem. I prefer a 22-24' monitor and sitting up close vs. a large screen and having to seat farther back, but that's just me.

Your best bet is to try it out and see if you get any of these issues. You'll probably be fine.

sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts
I'm gaming on a 32 inch Toshiba 1080p, loving it, the computer itself such as web surfing etc. is kind of fuzzy but when I'm in the games or watching movies it's brilliant. I know some people heavily hate on it because of FPS, but honestly having 60 FPS hasn't hurt me any.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
I used my 42" 1080p HDTV as a monitor for about a year, and I loved it. I would still be using it, but I broke the tv in our bedroom, so it's in there now. Also, 1080p is a huge improvement over 720p...
razorMDshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 razorMDshooter
Member since 2008 • 549 Posts

thanks! i'll probably have both connected, if theres a way? so i can switch if i am just surfing the web.

gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

thanks! i'll probably have both connected, if theres a way? so i can switch if i am just surfing the web.

razorMDshooter
If your GPU has 2 or more exit ports (which it probably does), you can either make an extension of your desktop (multiple displays) or mirror displays, which can be turned on/off from Control Panel.
sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts
That's what I do, I have my TV hooked up through HDMI and a 22 inch monitor connected through DVI for surfing.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
If you have the TV already just give it a go, I have a 32 inch Samsung and I've never had a problem, it has a specific PC mode which makes everything lovely and crisp and I've never noticed a single problem with ghosting. As for hooking it up do what others said, although I've never really minded using a giant screen for web browsing, I just changed Windows settings when I first started using it to the medium sized icons and it makes everything nice and lovely.
pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

I think it would be fine. Just know that if you switch to 1080p your games will run with about half the fps you get at 720p.