Physical vs Digital

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts
Hi guys. How do you buy your games? And what are the main reasons for you to buy them like that? How will you buy them in the future?
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Mostly digital because they often go on sale and I can pick up many games for cheap. Also retail games just end up taking up space in my room since I rarely ever uninstall my games, so its more convenient for me to get my games digitally.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I prefer digital.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts
Digital if there's awesome Steam deals, mostly physical - nothing's better than opening a cool box with manual, or for higher cause the Collector's Edition with cool features such as comic/art book, statue of main hero, soundtrack etc.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Best price wins, I don't care about type, retail or digital, or place, store, Steam, Origin, D2D, Impulse, GamersGate, etc.

It's mostly digital tho, I rarely care enough about freshly released games, I always have more than I can handle and luckily WoW also helps calm the urges to buy more games so in about 2-4 months when I get curious they're usually cheaper on digital sales.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tjricardo089

I don't like digital for three reasons

1) There are lots of games unavailable for download
2) You don't really own the game you are just renting the licence in order to play
3) If those digital services close you lose your games

In physical you can have pretty much every game (except for indies), you really OWN the game and you can play them whenever you want without the use of third parties. Too bad that the future is bright for digital and dark for physical. If there were like 10 more games on Steam (games that I love like 'the Saboteur' and 'World of Warcraft') I would totally go digital. I love have everything in one place, and with digital I would need to create lots of accounts in order to play games (Goodoldgames, Steam, Origin and Battle.net). Steam has pretty much every game I want, Good old games has like 3-4 retro games, Origin will have Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic (all unavailable through Steam) and Battle.net to play World of Warcraft and Warcraft III

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust

1) Not really, the few that aren't, major titles, will never be.
2) You never own any games, even if you get a disc, it means nothing, also nowadays almost any game ties to some kind of account, so you really can't do anything you want with them.
3) They won't, I'm as sure of that as I am of life itself.

You will always need Battle.net for Blizzard games so there's really no point in selling them on other platforms since they would only lose money and if you say you like retail so much and you are most likely interested in certain EA games, then you already have an Origin account and you're indirectly using it.

It's up to you but frankly, you have no real reasons not to go for the better price. If EA and Blizz are your main concerns imo having Steam, Origin and downloading the battle.net downloader when needed are far from the countless accounts you already made in various games.

lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts
I go for physical over digital most of the time, however when Steam has some crazy deals on, if i can't find the game cheaper at retail i will purchase it digitally.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Digital isn't a viable option, for the majority of Australians, so I buy hard copies.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Physical unless i cant get them like that. In that case i buy them as digital.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tjricardo089
I had a digital account on Steam until like 1 week ago, and now I want to start a physical games collection and collect/play only games that are obtainable through physical distribution. My fear is that one day, they stop producing physical copies of games.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KalDurenik
I had a digital account on Steam until like 1 week ago, and now I want to start a physical games collection and collect/play only games that are obtainable through physical distribution. My fear is that one day, they stop producing physical copies of games.tjricardo089
It will happen... But you and i will probably not be around by then. The stores might close down but you will be able to order them over the net. As of right now Physical is about 50% of the market. It will take MANY years before its disappear and even then there will always be people that want it as a collection. :>
sinpkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sinpkr
Member since 2010 • 1255 Posts

the cheaper version

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tjricardo089
how much do you think it will take until the end of physical distribution?
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tjricardo089

I mean some developers are already saying that digital is the future like Blizzard and Telltale games, damn it, I hate digital, I want to be inside the gaming world without buying through digital

BloodJunkie213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 BloodJunkie213
Member since 2010 • 224 Posts

how much do you think it will take until the end of physical distribution?tjricardo089

For PC, not very long. Just walked into my local Best Buy and they shrunk the PC section by 2/3s. Same at most stores. I was a HUGE physical copy fan...until i got my first 7 dollar game on Steam.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tjricardo089
Steam doesn't has all the gamesI want, and right now physical does... the problem is that I want to have all my games in one place :l
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

Digital, I rarely go physical anymore.

My reasons, If I wait for sales, it is cheaper.

Considerably less resources than physical media, (more sustainable)

I don't like being burdened with having a disk in the drive anymore.

Not to mention I value space, I don't need a ton of boxes, manuals, discs, and disc holders, when all that can be taken care of digitally!

I'm more Utilitarian than Aesthetic, and could care less about the collection of painted cardboard.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DanielDust
[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]I had a digital account on Steam until like 1 week ago, and now I want to start a physical games collection and collect/play only games that are obtainable through physical distribution. My fear is that one day, they stop producing physical copies of games.KalDurenik
It will happen... But you and i will probably not be around by then. The stores might close down but you will be able to order them over the net. As of right now Physical is about 50% of the market. It will take MANY years before its disappear and even then there will always be people that want it as a collection. :>

They'll "disappear" soon, in actual stores that is, there's no reason to keep em anymore, they take up useless space, digital might be half or almost half but retail (going, wasting time, browsing - that never happens anyway, not our type of gamers, you know what you want -, then buying) probably isn't even 25%, even the kind of random customers stopped doing it, everyone orders online, you get better prices and you save a lot of resources (gas, money, time). Stores can't afford to have a decent stock and variety, they keep what sells the most, those are games made by EA and Blizzard, stores are full of them, an actual store is only a compromise when it comes to retail.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
I had a digital account on Steam until like 1 week ago, and now I want to start a physical games collection and collect/play only games that are obtainable through physical distribution. My fear is that one day, they stop producing physical copies of games.tjricardo089
Your loss then. I'll enjoy buying tons of AAA titles like Portal 2, Metro 2033, Civ 5, etc. for like $2 on average during steam bundle sales. Digital distribution is good for video game development because it cuts out the middle man(e.g gamestop and physical copies) and it puts more profit in the pocket of developers so we see bigger game budgets and better game development. Digital distribution increases the number of games to choose from(i.e many Indie/arcade games would not exist without DD) and it improves game development.
BloodJunkie213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 BloodJunkie213
Member since 2010 • 224 Posts

[QUOTE="KalDurenik"][QUOTE="tjricardo089"]I had a digital account on Steam until like 1 week ago, and now I want to start a physical games collection and collect/play only games that are obtainable through physical distribution. My fear is that one day, they stop producing physical copies of games.DanielDust

They'll "disappear" soon, in actual stores that is, there's no reason to keep em anymore, they take up useless space, digital might be half or almost half but retail (going, wasting time, browsing - that never happens anyway, not our type of gamers, you know what you want -, then buying) probably isn't even 25%, even the kind of random customers stopped doing it, everyone orders online, you get better prices and you save a lot of resources (gas, money, time). Stores can't afford to have a decent stock and variety, they keep what sells the most, those are games made by EA and Blizzard, stores are full of them, an actual store is only a compromise when it comes to retail.

Not to mention the companies like Blizz,EA LOVE the digital model. 100% profit for them. It's good for third party too,less cost to produce.opens the door for sales..really good for everyone.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tjricardo089

It's not only about being digital, but having multiple accounts to play a couple of games sucks :l

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KalDurenik
[QUOTE="KalDurenik"][QUOTE="tjricardo089"]I had a digital account on Steam until like 1 week ago, and now I want to start a physical games collection and collect/play only games that are obtainable through physical distribution. My fear is that one day, they stop producing physical copies of games.DanielDust

Yeah like i said stores will be gone. Everyone will order online. However physical copies itself wont disappear in a very long time. To many people that collect games. Anyway the physical copy market will be reduce as internet get better and better across the world. It will be a very long time until it happen where its not worth to make a physical copy.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#24 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

2) You don't really own the game you are just renting the licence in order to play

In physical you can have pretty much every game (except for indies), you really OWN the game and you can play them whenever you want without the use of third parties. Too bad that the future is bright for digital and dark for physical. If there were like 10 more games on Steam (games that I love like 'the Saboteur' and 'World of Warcraft') I would totally go digital. I love have everything in one place, and with digital I would need to create lots of accounts in order to play games (Goodoldgames, Steam, Origin and Battle.net). Steam has pretty much every game I want, Good old games has like 3-4 retro games, Origin will have Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic (all unavailable through Steam) and Battle.net to play World of Warcraft and Warcraft III

tjricardo089

1. Not really.

2. Same with physical copies...

3. Not with steam and goodoldgames I know for a fact. Other digital distributers will probably let you keep the game too. Anyways, you can just make a physical backup if you're that paranoid.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tjricardo089

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

cain006

1. Not really.

2. Same with physical copies...

3. Not with steam and goodoldgames I know for a fact. Other digital distributers will probably let you keep the game too. Anyways, you can just make a physical backup if you're that paranoid.

1. Yes they are.
2. Only those that require being connected to the internet in order to play
3. When you buy on steam you sign a contract that says: C. NO GUARANTEES.

VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S).

And what's the point of doing Steam backups if they are unplayable without Steam?

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ravenguard90
Member since 2005 • 3064 Posts

I was a digital fan, but after many bandwidth limit fiascos with my ISP due to it, I prefer physical copies whenever possible.

Stupid 60GB limit...

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cain006

1. Yes they are.
2. Only those that require being connected to the internet in order to play
3. When you buy on steam you sign a contract that says: C. NO GUARANTEES.

VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S).

And what's the point of doing Steam backups if they are unplayable without Steam?

tjricardo089

Name some games that aren't available on digital distribution. It seems like you only have a beef against steam, D2D lets you download games and then you don't have to deal with them once you download it. Valve said they would offer something to allow their customers to keep their games should they go out of business, but I'm pretty sure they said that just to get people to buy games on steam. And when I said make backups I meant non steam games that you got from other digital distribution stores.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tjricardo089

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe
Ultimate Spider-Man
Turok
Turok: Evolution
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Videogame
World of Warcraft
Warcraft III
The Saboteur
Blacksite: Area 51
Harry Potter Series (8 games)
Battlefield 3
Mass Effect 3
Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 2
Gears of War
Zoo Tycoon
Alone in the Dark
Taito Legends
FIFA
Pro Evolution Soccer
Starcraft
Grim Fandango

and much more that I don't remember now

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Physical all the way! :D

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Digital is best when you have a lot of free space to keep all the games installed. Reinstalling digital games is not fun, too long on most connections compared to installing with discs. If you have a lot of disk space though, you only need to download once. So I think digital is best for a desktop where you have dedicated high speed connection.

Physicial is best if you have a small hard drive or a slow internet connection. Low disk space means you have to reinstall games a lot. Slow connection means you spend a lot of time waiting to play your games. So I think physical is best for laptop users as long as you have a DVD drive. Wifi is pretty slow to download games, and you're not even guaranteed to have a connection.

However, if you have both desktop and laptop, I recommend digital. That way you just download games to your laptop with your high speed connection at home. Then on the road you can have the games you want to play with you. You just might not be stuck with the games on it while out of the house, not having a decent connection to download other games if you get bored of the ones you started with.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tjricardo089

Then on the road you can have the games you want to play with you. You just might not be stuck with the games on it while out of the house, not having a decent connection to download other games if you get bored of the ones you started with.

James00715

What the hell that has to do with 'Physical vs Digital'? That's more 'Desktop vs Laptop'. I can install more than 100 games on my hard drive, but I choose to install like 5, and when I buy a new game a uninstall the one I play the less and install it. No harm done.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cain006

Ultimate Spider-Man - Yeah all these spiderman games you can't get digitally. Kind of odd.
Turok
Turok: Evolution - Yeah the Turok games aren't either.
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Videogame - Yes you can
World of Warcraft - Yes you can
Warcraft III - Yes you can
The Saboteur - Yes you can
Blacksite: Area 51 - Yes you can
Harry Potter Series (8 games) - I found some of them, but I'm not going to bother looking for 8 sub par games.
Battlefield 3 - Yes you can
Mass Effect 3 - Yes you can
Halo: Combat Evolved - Okay, you're right here.
Halo 2 - And here.
Gears of War - Yes you can
Zoo Tycoon - You're right
Alone in the Dark - Yes you can
Taito Legends - Ok
FIFA - Yes you can
Pro Evolution Soccer - Can on Konami's uk site... but yeah you're basically right.
Starcraft - Yes you can
Grim Fandango - Yup, you're right

tjricardo089

You know, there's more digital distributors than steam. And it seems like you added some bad games to the list just to inflate it.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tjricardo089

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

Ultimate Spider-Man - Yeah all these spiderman games you can't get digitally. Kind of odd.
Turok
Turok: Evolution - Yeah the Turok games aren't either.
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Videogame - Yes you can
World of Warcraft - Yes you can
Warcraft III - Yes you can
The Saboteur - Yes you can
Blacksite: Area 51 - Yes you can
Harry Potter Series (8 games) - I found some of them, but I'm not going to bother looking for 8 sub par games.
Battlefield 3 - Yes you can
Mass Effect 3 - Yes you can
Halo: Combat Evolved - Okay, you're right here.
Halo 2 - And here.
Gears of War - Yes you can
Zoo Tycoon - You're right
Alone in the Dark - Yes you can
Taito Legends - Ok
FIFA - Yes you can
Pro Evolution Soccer - Can on Konami's uk site... but yeah you're basically right.
Starcraft - Yes you can
Grim Fandango - Yup, you're right

cain006

You know, there's more digital distributors than steam. And it seems like you added some bad games to the list just to inflate it.

From the ones I put, I like them all.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cain006

tjricardo089

Okay, that was mostly complaining about the Harry Potter games. I mean come on their average score is like 5.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tjricardo089

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

cain006

Okay, that was mostly complaining about the Harry Potter games. I mean come on their average score is like 5.

So you guide yourself for other people's tastes? That is not good pal. Take for example Grim Fandango, it got some bad reviews and I love it.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

Physical because I rather have the box and the fact that I have a bandwidth limit, so I can't really afford to download digitally distributed game that often.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts
I prefer physical copies, but mainly because I collect instruction manuals. Sadly, instruction manuals are getting pretty thin these days and some don't even include them and instead use an in-game one or a pdf file. And with Steam deals where I can get games far cheaper than retail and being convenient, (no need to worry about lost disks) I mostly buy digitally now.
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

I much prefer physical copies. I like having the box and manual.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tjricardo089

I much prefer physical copies. I like having the box and manual.

howlrunner13

Me too, but if digital is going to be the mainstream in the future what choice do I have? I am just afraid of Steam closing and me losing all my games.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Digital is most all I buy now. Getting games for $5-10 every big sale is awesome and retail just cannot ever compare. PC retail is dead and retailers know that. They're actually partly to blame for physical decline. Retailers like Best Buy and other dont understand what deep discounts do for people - people LOVE Steam, D2D, and other digital distributors because they give them dream deals and the ability to play more without spending more and that ensures that people ALWAYS come back.
agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

I buy mostly digital, I still like getting some physical games once in a while.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I like a combination of the two. Major games I will buy retail, but I also enjoy taking advantage of sales on Steam.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tjricardo089

I like a combination of the two. Major games I will buy retail, but I also enjoy taking advantage of sales on Steam. raven_squad

I hate digital I have a Steam account and I only use it for multiplayer like COD and CS. Physical is way better and in the day they stop producing physical I will stop buying videogames :(

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11807 Posts

My motto is "If it ain't steam then retail for me!" :P

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DanielDust

[QUOTE="raven_squad"]I like a combination of the two. Major games I will buy retail, but I also enjoy taking advantage of sales on Steam. tjricardo089

I hate digital I have a Steam account and I only use it for multiplayer like COD and CS. Physical is way better and in the day they stop producing physical I will stop buying videogames :(

It will be a sad day for gaming...oh wait. You're being too extreme over this.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tjricardo089

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

[QUOTE="raven_squad"]I like a combination of the two. Major games I will buy retail, but I also enjoy taking advantage of sales on Steam. DanielDust

It will be a sad day for gaming...oh wait. You're being too extreme over this.

I know I am, but I am very paranoic about this, but the truth is that I am proud of my videogame collection and I want to have everything in one place :c

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

These days: digital. Initially I wanted my library in one place (Steam). Then I learned about the sales in few other DD services, so that concept went down the drain. Now, I guess the main reason I buy DD is for the cheap prices.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tjricardo089

A bad thing about gaming on digital is that I need to have multiple accounts in order to enjoy games for different publishers. Take for example what is happening now with EA (Origin) and Valve (Steam)...

alext_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 alext_b
Member since 2006 • 3373 Posts
I only go digital when games are on sale. Retail is much cheaper where I live. Plus, having discs to install from lets me remove games at will. I have plenty of hard drive space, but I just like keeping my system clean :P
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Pretty much digital only now for me. I prefer spending as little as I can to entertain this expensive hobby. A huge contributing factor is that I no longer need to walk into my local gamestop and be bothered by ignorant fanboy employees.